Gaia Interactive Reviews

1. Web Developer Intern

Former Employee - Web Developer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Gaia Interactive

Pros

Good team, good company. I really enjoy the 3 months intern working there as a full stack web developer.

Cons

Lots of snacks to eat

It was fun but I had to leave because it is no longer a viable company and did not seem like it was going to last.

Former Employee - Anonymous in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in San Jose, CA

I worked at Gaia Interactive

Pros

Coworkers are very pleasant. Atmosphere is pleasant aside from common disdain RE: the CEO. Decent perks. Nature of the work was fun.

Cons

Management fails to listen to its customers and meet their needs and thus has damaged the company greatly. Everyone is scared about not having a job in a year or two because of the change in management.

Advice to Management

Remember that this site was at its most popular in the form of a community-focused site that didn't just see its users as clients to be milked of all their money. Our approach has become annoying to the people who are supposed to be enjoying our site. If they stop enjoying it, they stop visiting it. If they stop visiting it, you lose your revenue.

3. Gaia was a challenging and changing environment which maintained the interesting workplace.

I worked at Gaia Interactive

Pros

Free company paid lunches everyday,
    Very relaxing environment. Couches lounges, colorful art all over.

Cons

Communication with the groups of people was very challenging. Very introverted individuals work here. Some very snooty.

Advice to Management

Be more friendly, energetic and personable! Not just to certain groups you are comfortable with but with everyone. Employees will enjoy interacting with you much easier.

A company on the right track

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Gaia Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was surprised how passionate everyone here is about the product. Several employees are avid players and really want the company to succeed. I also appreciate executive managements focus on getting the right people in to fill in the current knowledge-base gaps within the company. Compensation is also competitive, especially when compared to other companies in the industry.

Cons

Previous employee retention issues have led to a loss in product knowledge across the company. Some individuals have not received regular cost of living increases despite being valuable contributors.

6. Don't know what all the fuss is about

I have been working at Gaia Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Collaborative environment and smart people. I joined Gaia this year, and was initially hesitant given the reviews on glassdoor. I was not around for the shakeout of 2013, and all I know is that prior to the change in management Gaia was losing money and is now profitable. Regarding perks, there's free catered lunch every day through eat club, snacks in the kitchen, and the best medical plan I've ever seen.

Cons

For a smaller company, leadership could be more present and vocal. There are also a few people who subscribe to the mentality of "Well that ain't my job so tough luck." or only do the bare minimum.

Advice to Management

More frequent communication to all levels would be beneficial.

7. Something new and different

Current Employee - Product Owner
    Current Employee - Product Owner

I have been working at Gaia Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Agile, talented people, great leadership, but my favorite part is probably the benefits.

Cons

None at the moment. The only problem we have is resources. We're trying to hire aggressively, but the company brand is not well known, so it's tough recruiting at the moment.

Due diligence necessary

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Gaia Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

daily catered lunches, great health insurance, colorful walls in the office are inspiring

Cons

High turnover rate with frequent surprise layoffs & resignations, very strict 9:30-5:30 hours, CEO & senior management completely out of touch with a staff of less than 50 people. Sick days are subtracted from vacation time.

9. Loved working here

Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Gaia Interactive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

some of the most talented and most devoted (to our users) employees i've ever worked with.

Cons

you have to 'get' the community / users to be really be impactful here. This is not a typical 'internet service'. Gaia succeeds because we built a multi-layered deep experience that is so valuable to users that we can monetize that. It's a complex thing to do well.

Location is very far south - hard to live in SF and do this job.

To hell in a handbasket

Former Employee - Artist in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Artist in San Jose, CA

I worked at Gaia Interactive full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As an artist, Gaia began for me as an awesome place to work. Ideal, even. Casual atmosphere, plenty of creative freedom, respect for the art team and our work, lots of like-minded coworkers who shared similar tastes and culture. Unfortunately over the course of my time there everything that made it so good was slowly drained.

I feel like its demise ultimately was a result of growing too big too fast. When I first came on board we were an agile, pioneering team in web gaming, full of talent, skill, and ambition. As the tide rapidly shifted toward social and ultimately mobile gaming, we took way too long to catch up and ultimately paid the price of multiple rounds of layoffs, losing a lot of talent due to frustrated workers leaving from the lack of direction and sluggish pace.

So ultimately, not many pros left. Though I fondly remember my early years there, I unfortunately now share many sentiments with the other negative reviews here.

* Health insurance covered almost everything when I was there, though the process to get things paid for was slow and convoluted. Before I left there was talk of reduced coverage.

* Catered lunches, but the same 5 or 6 places eventually get dull

Cons

* New corporate management completely out of touch with the culture upon which Gaia was founded, much less how to maintain basic employee morale

* Dismal atmosphere.

* Too much management, not enough focus on merit or actual productivity.

* Original fanbase upon which the site was based leaving in droves

* Bad communication between departments - I would often complete work, send it off to complete silence and see it implemented incorrectly weeks later.

* No room for advancement. Despite my time there, I never had an official position change, only token raises.

* Strict core hours policy is terrible for creativity

Advice to Management

* Listen to your diminishing loyal fanbase. Stop valuing the appearance of a full office over actual productivity. Treat your employees with some respect.

Great place to start off.

Former Employee - Mobile Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Mobile Analyst in San Jose, CA

I worked at Gaia Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance, autonomous, and a great place to learn. The people are what make the company good.

Cons

The benefits were poor and the culture as a whole was not great. Also, the company was in a bit of a turning point when I was there.

RSS Feed </> Embed