Gaia Interactive
www.gaiainteractive.com San Jose, CA

Gaia Interactive Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014
Gaia Interactive – San Jose – “Friday nerf war”

Gary Schofield

Great place to start off.

Mobile Analyst (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsGood work-life balance, autonomous, and a great place to learn. The people are what make the company good.

ConsThe benefits were poor and the culture as a whole was not great. Also, the company was in a bit of a turning point when I was there.

What once was good can be again

Prosfellow employees
    artist friendly
    content brainstorming
    Friendly environment

ConsNew CEO has no connection with user base 30% of user base is gone since he took over
    May make ANIHQ money in short term losing customers daily
    hides real numbers of customer complaints

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to your user base they are your customers.

To hell in a handbasket

Artist (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsAs an artist, Gaia began for me as an awesome place to work. Ideal, even. Casual atmosphere, plenty of creative freedom, respect for the art team and our work, lots of like-minded coworkers who shared similar tastes and culture. Unfortunately over the course of my time there everything that made it so good was slowly drained.

I feel like its demise ultimately was a result of growing too big too fast. When I first came on board we were an agile, pioneering team in web gaming, full of talent, skill, and ambition. As the tide rapidly shifted toward social and ultimately mobile gaming, we took way too long to catch up and ultimately paid the price of multiple rounds of layoffs, losing a lot of talent due to frustrated workers leaving from the lack of direction and sluggish pace.

So ultimately, not many pros left. Though I fondly remember my early years there, I unfortunately now share many sentiments with the other negative reviews here.

* Health insurance covered almost everything when I was there, though the process to get things paid for was slow and convoluted. Before I left there was talk of reduced coverage.

* Catered lunches, but the same 5 or 6 places eventually get dull

Cons* New corporate management completely out of touch with the culture upon which Gaia was founded, much less how to maintain basic employee morale

* Dismal atmosphere.

* Too much management, not enough focus on merit or actual productivity.

* Original fanbase upon which the site was based leaving in droves

* Bad communication between departments - I would often complete work, send it off to complete silence and see it implemented incorrectly weeks later.

* No room for advancement. Despite my time there, I never had an official position change, only token raises.

* Strict core hours policy is terrible for creativity

Advice to Senior Management* Listen to your diminishing loyal fanbase. Stop valuing the appearance of a full office over actual productivity. Treat your employees with some respect.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior management are nice but overall experience was bad.

San Jose, CA

ProsThe CEO and the COO are really nice and have their heads screwed on the right way. There are several other really nice people in the company too.

ConsI can't say same for the rest of the company. Worked as an engineer there and felt some of the fellow engineers and at least one of the project managers had an attitude.

They definitely give you the feeling that your disposable at any time. There is good tech talent there but like I said... with an attitude. They try to pretend it all fun... but it is high pressure, and fear based. They definitely give you the impression that your disposable.

Salary compensation was average.

A roller-coaster ride that derailed before the end

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsIt's a good place to get experience in the gaming/tech industry. Free catered lunches, drinks, and snacks each day were nice. They offered good healthcare including flexible spending accounts. Pets (mainly dogs) are welcome though they were occasionally disruptive when trying to work on something in peace.

ConsThe creative, nerf-gun shooting office culture was let go along with many talented individuals during layoffs and a reserved and timid culture lacking in morale or motivation replaced it. The new management killed off all of the worthwhile projects in favor of focusing solely on milking all the money they can from virtual item sales. There isn't much room to move up in the company since new or upper positions were filled from the outside or upper management's prior contacts. The open office layout causes all conversations to carry through the office and prevents you from working without distraction.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and customers

Fun, until new management arrived

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

Pros*Awesome co-workers
    *Lots of learning experiences

Cons*Poor disaster management skills
    *Poor PR skills
    *Poor communication skills/inability to relay information between departments reliably
    *New management has no care for the community/profit driven
    *Suppression of user feedback/openly mocking feedback is the new regular and openly encouraged
    *Poor treatment of volunteers

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've done a fantastic job with this company, how about you work your magic on another one? Like, right now. Go, leave and never come back. You have ruined an otherwise fine company.

Full of creative and talented people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAs an artist, great opportunity to contribute and create

ConsSlight lack of direction when it comes to product vision

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out the game plan

Loved it then hated it!

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsGreat staff! Met plenty of new people, including those that had actually come from being users on the site. A select few were so dedicated, that they would push out bug fixes at 2AM!! They wouldn't stop working no matter what, because they loved the community.

ConsManagement... Our former CEO was great! He had plenty of ideas, and used to work with me one on one! He would create comic ideas and stories that would keep the community excited and involved with what was happening around the office. Now, nothing. The users of the site are just a cash cow to be sucked for as much money as possible before things fall apart. The manager now doesn't even care.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating the community like your personal piggy bank! This is a community and a company, not a monopoly that leads straight to you!

destroying a once beautiful company

San Jose, CA

ProsFree lunches and health care.

ConsNew Ceo and Management taking what was once a great company to work for and reducing it down to sales targets.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you do not care for your community you lose your community, your ignoring valid complaints and putting profit before the customer experience, if you want people to log on and spend money they need to be happy.

Digging its own grave

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Apparently catered lunch has improved

ConsI worked for Gaia for over 4 years. During my time there, I enjoyed working for a fun company with a friendly, creative environment. Top tier talent, though often indecisive and inexperienced management. Despite difficulties finding direction, Gaia clearly bent over backwards to balance success with commitment to its userbase. Unfortunately very little room for advancement, then and now.

Currently managed by money-hungry suits and incompetent yes-men. An entirely different company, literally almost an entirely new staff with little regard for its clients, even less for adequately compensating new, underpaid staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have little hope for Gaia in its current incarnation, but it might consider better obscuring its motives from its unhappy userbase.

Worked for Gaia Interactive? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gaia Interactive reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gaia Interactive CEO Gary Schofield. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by Gaia Interactive employees.