Gainesville Health and Fitness

Updated August 7, 2014
Updated August 7, 2014
3.5

Joseph D Cirulli

Overall, a good experience.

Former Employee - Floor Instructor  in  Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Floor Instructor in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Gainesville Health and Fitness part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to know a lot of members and can make solid connections. It also helps you grow as a person as you enhance your people skills and customer service.

Cons

The pay is minimum wage and you're assigned many tasks. The opportunity for growth is minimal. Its also has many young adults or teens employed so of course there's a circle. Many don't know how to properly manage or supervise in their roles.

Good part time job, wouldn't consider it anything more

Current Employee - Receptionist
    Current Employee - Receptionist

I have been working at Gainesville Health and Fitness part-time

Pros

Good job, easy, hours are nice, and as a receptionist it is easy to get shifts picked up
    people are nice, made some great friends
    as long as you are looking for a part time job to make some money on the side, you will be happy

Cons

if you are interested in becoming management, start to make friends with the higher-ups immediately
    very cliquey
    although there is a system for raises/performance reports every 6 months, if you do not ask to have this meeting, you will never have it and thus never receive your raise
    not transparent with employees about how the above system works

recognize the people who do their job and do it well
    There are so many more people who work there besides the ones you drank with last night...

Free Gym Membership not worth low wages and long, boring shifts.

Former Employee - Floor Instructor  in  Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Floor Instructor in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Gainesville Health and Fitness part-time for less than a year

Pros

*Free Gym membership - which gives access to both the gym, classes, and rehab facilities at all hours.
    *Help people reach their weight-loss goal in an easy, structured manner.

Cons

*Same music day in and out, mundane repetitive work
    *Really low pay with limited access to advancement. They require you to work on the floor for a year at minimum wage (which they don't adjust).
    *Ineffective and immature management.
    *Company does not care about employees in a pragmatic manner. Episodes of nepotism and in company drama ensured.

Care about your employees and pay them if you want to retain the good ones, don't just let your ability to turn over staff quickly justify not materially supporting your employees. Not when you make as much money as you do.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

High School Atmosphere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Gainesville Health and Fitness part-time for more than a year

Pros

Few good people and great members

Cons

Horrible management, poor pay, and lack of respect for employees

Beginning of a long career in fitness.

Former Employee - Personal Trainer  in  Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Gainesville Health and Fitness part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Gainesville Health and Fitness was a great place to start my career in the fitness industry. They offer multiple opportunities for continuing your own education on and off site.

Cons

With Gainesville Health and Fitness being a smaller, privately run company, there is not as much room for growth as with larger companies. The pay structure is set so that you can max out your earnings and not have a way to earn more.

Great Company Standards

Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist  in  Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Gainesville Health and Fitness part-time for more than a year

Pros

Constantly striving to be on the cutting edge of fitness. Every position is challenged and this company is second to none. Other gyms look to GHF and how we model our approach to fitness because it is that successful. Flexible schedule and very team oriented.

Cons

It is a lot of customer service so there are the typical cons as with any customer service postion.... Some people are just having a bad day and take it out on you, etc. Nothing unmanageable though.

Continue growing.

Excellent Atmosphere and Great People.

Former Employee - Floor Trainer  in  Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Floor Trainer in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Gainesville Health and Fitness

Pros

- You get the training and the best atmosphere for a gym setting.
    - You learn, you work fast, and you meet great patrons.
    - They help you achieve Personal Trainer Certification if that's what you desire

Cons

Minimum Wage Makes Employees at the Floor Staff Barely Get Through. Especially if your desiring a long term relationship with employees 1 year or more.

The Science is their. The Staff is Amazing. Your doing great just up the bottom level salary group.

its a good summer job, but anything more look somewhere else

Current Employee - Floor Instructor  in  Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Floor Instructor in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Gainesville Health and Fitness

Pros

Free gym membership, great members to talk to. alot of the people you work with will be cool, you do learn alot about working out. no drug tests. can choose hrs to fit school schedule.

Cons

SEVERELY under paid. there's little chance of moving up or job growth. i worked there a few years and left 4 cents above minimum wage. my job was very labor intensive ( bend down, reach up, pick up weight,show exercise) often you have to set the machines so fast that you cant be careful bending,and your prob going to pull something. i messed up my back from doing this for so long, but had no help paying for the 4 months of chiropractor visits (about 100 a month). its hard to get shifts covered, as you post it on the gin system. so its partially biased towards who's really likable. you literally have to harass management for the promised 6 month raises, the company offers no benefits for part time employees, your not allowed to go over 40 hrs. they want you to wear dress pants and a hot stuffy shirt to work the floor, as well as nice shoes. its completely ridiculous and impracticable. does not care about the employees opinions, as every time i have brought an issue up they have given me a snitty reply. take my review as you want, as i have really grown to not like this job and company, but i think its because i did it long term. its a good summer job, but anything more look somewhere else. i will say its the members and people who make it bearable.

actually pay your workers. you keep loosing good workers because we can't afford to live off our pay. mcdonalds employees get paid more to do work that is not nearly half as skilled or demanding as you require from us. create more job growth besides the select few on shadow team or supervisor. PLEASE GET BETTER UNIFORMS FOR FLOOR. actually give us our raises, if you can buy 30 new flat screens, you can give us our 5 cent raises.

Excellent place to learn, grow and move on.

Former Employee - Personal Trainer  in  Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Gainesville Health and Fitness

Pros

Excellent education and drive to constantly learn and grow. All the managers have a great policy of "abundance mentality" which stimulates their supervisors to continue to grow and become stronger leaders.

Cons

Very biased management. If you're one of the "favorites" you're golden, otherwise figure out a way to get on managements good side (good work isn't enough). They know they can get away with paying their employees bare minimum since they're in a college town with constant influx of students willing to work.

Separate work and personal issues. it's great to be friends with your employees, but don't let that cloud how you respond to their performance.

A great company to work for.

Current Employee - Kids Club Attendant  in  Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Kids Club Attendant in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Gainesville Health and Fitness

Pros

If you truly enjoy working with children then working as a Kids Club attendant at GHFC is perfect for you. The work environment is usually very fun, and not stressful. The co-workers are always nice and friendly. As an employee you get free access to all three GHFC gyms (If you are male then only two of the gyms since one of them is for women only). You get progress reports each month and depending on your evaluation scores you will get a raise I think every six months. The company does a very good job at allowing us to grow as better employees. They offer training for other positions, such as receptionist, housekeeping,and floor intructor, regularly. You get paid for your training hours and also being a cross-trained employee will raise your wage. They organize lots of fun in-work and out-of-work activities for the employees, such as dodgeball competition, trips to themeparks, etc. This makes working at GHFC more fun and it allows you to make more friends at work. Over all GHFC is a great company to work for, its fun yet very professional, and there are always opportunities to grow as an employee.

Cons

They don't pay the employees enough for the work that is expected of them. We have to answer quiz questions from the manual each week and we are expected to do this outside of work, which means we don't get paid for the time we spend doing it AND if we don't do them we get penalized with "points". I find that kind of harsh, since some people have other responsabilities outside of work. I feel like they are giving us homework (and I already have enough). I understand it is to help us become better employees. I just wish they would give us time to answer them while we are at work.

Consider changing the 10 week questions program. Make it less harsh and allow employees to answer them while there are actually at work. Joseph D Cirulli should be fair with ALL Kids Clubs and that includes the one at the Women Center. The paint is old, the movies are old, the toys are old, everything is old. Many feel it's time to renovate our kids club and make it as appealing as the other ones are.

Worked for Gainesville Health and Fitness? Contribute to the Community!