Gainesville Regional Utilities

Add Photos

Robert E. Hunzinger

Team Environment, Community Centered, Best Local Internship

Intern (Current Employee) Gainesville, FL

ProsOne of the best paid internships in town. Real experience that translates. Great team environment. This internship will give you important projects to work on that matter. Experience working with industry professionals and the chance to speak C level executives. This internship gives you a real corporate experience and will develop your portfolio.

ConsDemanding projects. Need to learn how to prioritize your school time to put in the hours at work. The interview process is tough, but is also great experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more internships!

Watch your back here.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNew facilities, and a good group of people to work with.

ConsSenior staff has a couple of 'short-timers' looking to retire soon. As a result they have no backbone and do not support the IT staff as much as they should. The city made some questionable calls with a Biomass Generator that turned out to be very expensive to the citizens. Gainesville's electric charges are the most expensive in the state, and as a result IT budgets are being slashed to lower the charges to the citizens. Jobs are being cut by two very quirky senior staffers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey won't listen.

Nice organization but gotta have tough skin

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI love my coworkers and was inspired by the dedication of the people who work there. I also really liked the overall mission of the organization and the focus on providing good customer service. The benefits are pretty good.

ConsBecause the City Commission is the board of directors, the political atmosphere can be trying. Every new city election brings another round of critical candidates who love to use GRU as their platform. Other cons in the job I had were a not-so-great salary, and limited upward mobility.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

GRU Review

Middle Management (Current Employee) Gainesville, FL

ProsExcellent place to work. Best place in Gainesville. The stability and the benefits of working for a utility are in my opinion superior many other entities.

ConsWorking for a municipal, you have more steps to take to advertise positions or to make significant purchases. This can affect your ability to be able to compete.

overall not a bad place

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Gainesville, FL

Prosstable workplace, Gainesville itself, GRU is generally progressive and green (while many employees are not), pay is OK for the area, GRU is generally flexible and supportive of your needs,

ConsGood-ole-boy system, lots of silo building, "we've been doing it like that for XX years ...", incompetent managers, the culture is generally very southern conservative republican, if you like that, go for it, otherwise you'll be different (not hated or harassed though!), lots or politics, lots of bureaucracy, change does not come easy,

Advice to Senior Managementget some fresh wind and ideas into management.

GRU, a great, relaxed place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Gainesville, FL

ProsPay is fairly solid, people are pleasant, work is very easygoing, hours are not bad at all, management is very willing to help out and take time to work with employees to coach them along. Salary is very fair and starts off at a competitive level. It pays to stay with the company, as salary ranges have a fairly large spread over time. GRU is an overall great place to work for people of all experiences.

ConsNot a lot of extremely challenging work, so one can only learn so much. It's more grinding through day to day operations and getting tasks down for superiors.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Excellent place to work!

ProsVery nurturing work environment
    Nice Co-workers
    Very experienced senior management that cares about the company

ConsPublic utility pay rates
    Part of the City Budget

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is hard to run a utility like a business when it has political implications as well.

Good

ProsGood pay and benefits and stability

ConsIt's government and promotional opportunities come through vacancy, salary increases are based on pahy scale taht applies to everyone (good and bad point there).

Advice to Senior ManagementShare info with employees completely not on a need to know basis

Worked for Gainesville Regional Utilities? Contribute to the Community!