Gala Coral

Updated January 1, 2015
2.1

Gala Coral Group Chief Executive Carl Leaver
Carl Leaver

Loved working there but new manager created chaos!

Former Employee - Marketing in Woking, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing in Woking, England (UK)

I worked at Gala Coral full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working for this company due to my interest in betting, sports & gambling. I got involved with many sporting clubs and organisations. Career progression was good and I learnt a lot in my roles. I worked in a fantastic team with some wonderful people. For a lot of my time there the working atmosphere was brilliant.

Cons

Company went through an annual redundancy cull and withheld bonus every year I was there. Seemed to be in a real mess internally. Company employed a manager who was completely unsuitable for the role and virtually destroyed a whole department. Split between 3 sites in UK, each with different rules & favoured people, meaning there was a "them & us" feel.

Don't ever employ a senior manager without fully checking out their background. My last manager openly boasted about things such as drug-taking, prostitution, told racist jokes and made very sexist remarks in the office, whilst displaying some of the most bizarre behaviour imaginable. So I would suggest ensuring a manager is "right in the head" before employing them.

Fine as a first job in a bad climate

Former Employee - Trainee Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Trainee Assistant Manager

I worked at Gala Coral full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Training was good, some of the external managers were very helpful, fine if you're a student or not looking for a long term career

Cons

I was paid for 16 hour weeks when working 30-40 hours, a colleague wasn't paid at all for nearly 3 months, our shop manager was off sick for most of my time there (not trying to blame the company for that, obviously not anyone's fault) so the shop was being run by the deputy manager who was very unprofessional, high staff turnover and inadequate staffing levels meant any sort of work life balance was almost impossible, got bawled out for requesting one Sunday off Ina three month period (having worked only long days/evenings and weekends for a considerable time). Some customers could be unpleasant but not unmanageable

Be more careful who you promote, if you pay people accurately they're more likely to stick around long enough to be useful, please take reports of sexism and racism towards other staff/customers seriously

Total Disaster

I worked at Gala Coral full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the colleagues are friendly and open minded

Cons

disorganised , zero strategy , throw money at a solution without any planning or vision what so ever
    management very untrained , HR lacks action
    turnover of colleagues was very high ... lost and gained colleagues constantly

none , because they have no ears to listen

dynamic

Current Employee - Cluster Support Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Cluster Support Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Gala Coral full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

i had a good start with my role as cluster support manager with lot of new skills and experience to gain.

Cons

company culture is so dynamic that by the time you get a grip over a new policy or procedure there is another one on plate.company is aggressively trying to gain market share which is reflected by its staff turnover at every level and department.

Working in the Coral Racing (Betting Shop) part; I would not recommend this company to anybody! One star is too much.

Former Employee - Manager Assistant
    Former Employee - Manager Assistant

I worked at Gala Coral part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You are regularly given overtime as the group seems either majorly understaffed or badly managed.
    It is a stable job if you want it to be; the staff turnover is ridiculously high for others leaving, they are happy to have you.
    It is a great kick start in retail (although the paperwork makes it feels more like working in a corporate office than direct with 'actual' customers).

Cons

You have to spend a lot of time chasing your wages when they make a mistake and it feels like you are working for things over and over again... six months after leaving and I still didn't get my wages - I was not an isolated case.
    The majority of people who I worked with did not offer a respectable level of customer service to those outside of the English community and there was racial intolerance - again, this was not an isolated case.
    The protection of staff when presented with difficult or dangerous customers is non existent as the company consider their profit margins as upmost importance, furthermore they will actually give you an official warning should you be the victim of fraud or money laundering- you guessed, it this is NOT an isolated case.
    Many of the buildings are in disrepair and there does not seem to be any area of management that deal with this; in two of the shops that I worked in, there were insects and maggots that would fall from the upper floor from birds or vermin dying there. In one of the shops that I worked in, there was known to be asbestos; I saw an asbestos report dating back three years yet the danger was still present.

If you spent less time trying to put paperwork through your over-beurocratic system and actually made more of an effort to action things that need your attention, then your staff would be more satisfied with working conditions which would lead on to improving your customers care and satisfaction

fast moving company, has come up in a big way in last 5 years, still a lot can be done

Current Employee - Deputy Retail Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Gala Coral full-time (more than an year)

Pros

freedom to be what a person wants to be, good growth prospects

Cons

Nothing much, but there can be delays in decision making at times.

Please consider digital advertising, most of the companies follow that and save cost of all the marketing material which seems to be very heavy.

Retail Experience

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Gala Coral full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people to work with.Encouraged to continuously learn.

Cons

I applied for various jobs at head office,no response despite the fact i was working for the company.

Another problem was high staff turnover.

Should look at promoting from within.

Not happy.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in East Kilbride, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in East Kilbride, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Gala Coral part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people I work with.

Cons

Absolutely everything. I have a young child and barely get time with them. Early shifts are not shared as a team. Even tho we have to work as a team! Employees have a duty of staff care and this does not demonstrate care of an employee with a young child.

Share early shifts with team members. Might get a more positive result when having to work as part of a team. At 5pm not really in the mood to sell jackpots after being up at 7am with a little one.

Get out while you can...

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Gala Coral full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on where you work,some of the shop staff and regular customers are lovely people.

Cons

Where do I start?Long hours on your own,management above shop level could not care less about you or your career,never-ending paperwork and stupid regulations.You are expected to be a cashier,a therapist for problem gamblers,a bouncer and a carer for the elderly all for just over the minimum wage.If you are not a boot licker you will go nowhere in this company.

Start treating your staff and customers with a bit of respect.They will not take this advice though as they are unbelievably arrogant and have their heads firmly planted in the sand.

Very old fashioned business

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Woking, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Woking, England (UK)

I worked at Gala Coral full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work life/balance wasn't too bad

Cons

The people were nice, but the calibre of employee's and management was pretty low. But I guess that is inevitable when working in a failing business.

Gala Coral Photos

Coral, 235 High Street, Swansea (Photo thanks to Geograph user Jaggery, Some Rights Reserved)
Nottingham - NG1 (Castle Boulevard) (Photo thanks to Geograph user David Hallam-Jones, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo