Gale Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014
3.1

Michael Hansen

Best Agile Development shop that I've worked at.

Current Employee - Developer  in  Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Developer in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Gale full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are lots of Agile development IT Shops in the Detroit Metro area and this is the greatest place I've worked at! There are great people and smart folks to work with. Work-Life balance really means something to management here, it's not just lip-service. I look forward to a long career here.

Cons

The business side of the company is starting to "Get It" with regards to the digital age, but slow to listen to the IT folks. The Mobile Platform strategy is way behind. A widely dispersed development team further entrenches Agile Skeptics against the Agile development movement.

Once we start 'walking the walk' with regards to mobile development strategy, "User-Centric" strategy, then we'll be on the right path. Listen to the folks on the ground who are willing to take up this mantle and run with it!

Changing strategy, sales territory's and product bags annually is not a good thing.

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Gale full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Cengage management is motivating. Good benefits although cutting back on commissions and bonuses. Used to be a great Company with great benefits and pay. Product managers are fantastic.

Cons

Product bags change annually as does strategy and sales territories. Lack of leadership in key areas holds back sales and product. Good ole boys network still exists here. Opportunity is based on who you work for not the work you do. A lot of good talent is leaving.

Watch middle management for results and accountability. Problem does not exist within the worker bees but the management they are under. Cutting back on commissions and bonuses. Some managers talk a good game but can not produce.

A work in progress, but hopeful

Current Employee - Editorial Assistant  in  Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Editorial Assistant in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Gale full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company is finally growing technically. We are catching up with the rest of the world and this should make a huge difference. Most employees are great and very educated. We know our customers and we know our products, and how to put them together with excellent results.

Cons

Unfortunately, as I am sure in all businesses, there are still very bad managers, with absolutely no people skills. And this trickles up, not down. Some feel threatened if you are more knowledgeable then they are, and will surely retaliate. Instead of educating themselves - they attack, not realizing that not only does this affect morale and reduces production and thus profitability - this only forces great people to seek employment elsewhere.

There is a good deal of nepotism in the HR department. In fact the "higher ups" are a little unethical in their practices. Correction - "Very" unethical! I must say, I am very surprised that they are allowed to get away with such things. It makes one wonder just what else is going on...

Professionalism and respect for the internal customer is practically non-existent.

Learn to actively listen to your employees, instead of dictating. You may just learn something.

Make and amends and clean up your mess. Treat ALL employees fairly, not just the chosen few. No matter what their race, color, creed, or nationality. Do this because it is the right thing to do, not because you are afraid of finally getting caught.

Please stop developing an atmosphere of "Yes" men. Realize that customer service begins and ends with us, the employees.

Grow and learn what it actually means to work as a team and that good leadership leads, not punishes.

कर्मन्

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Okay place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Gale full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

flex time; good benefits; paid time off

Cons

low pay for industry; management cutting incentives

Currently employed for 6 years in Sales

Current Employee - Sales Representative for K12  in  Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Representative for K12 in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Gale full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work/personal life balance and flexible hours.

Cons

No clear opportunities for advancement

Once a great company -- nothing left but a brand

I have been working at Gale full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Co-workers who have devoted untold hours -- and blood, sweat, and tears -- to create quality educational products

Cons

Almost everything these days: Management that is unwilling/unable to support it's employees, lack of vision, constant reorganizations, outdated systems and processes, increasing lack of flexibility, top-down decisions (despite lip service to the contrary), and nearly non-existent pay raises despite strong performance. The prevailing attitude is now "if you don't like it, go elsewhere." There is almost no concern about the good business sense of cultivating employee loyalty.

Stop adding layer after layer of management; stop with the lip service to collaboration, speed, and productivity

Reinstate Telecommuting!

I have been working at Gale

Pros

Once was our ability to telecommute until a recent change. Having such flexibility has meant a lot to us at the Gale office.

Cons

Please reconsider telecommuting. It makes such a big difference in our happiness and productivity. The work we do is great, but we feel under minded and unappreciated by upper management. They want us all in the office but really don't take the time to understand what we do in the Research, School, Professional organization--Editorial employees especially. Since we do not receive bonuses or hardly raises, it really helps us to have work from home as a perk--a free benefit for you to give! We all do our work on laptops, have Lync, get voicemails forwarded to our Outlook, webex and dial in. What's the point to having this technology if we can't use it? Having the work from home makes us more productive to have that alone quiet time to do work. There are so many distractions in the office that working from home helps to get things done. Plus when you work with us on flexibility, it means so much to us, it makes us want to do more and put more time in. But take it away it makes us feel unappreciated, less productive, and less willing to be flexible for the company. Please take a serious look at the benefits of telecommuting. This is a major plus to employee satisfaction.

Quick fixes don't work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Gale full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance and flexibility.

Cons

Lots of changes in the last few years. Relying too much on quick fixes rather than addressing real issues.

A great deal of uncertainty

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Gale full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people I worked with were terrific.

Cons

Shoot from the hip mentality. They let go entire teams and then rehire displaced people for less money.

Care more.

I loved the Editorial department at Gale; great work-life balance; ability to work independently; and rewarding work.

Former Employee - Content Project Editor  in  Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Content Project Editor in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Gale full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I loved the office culture; I loved the fact that I was producing content and products that would be used by students and librarians, and I loved the fact that my work was interesting, challenging, and enlightening. I learned something new almost every day. It was very fulfilling to complete a project and be able to look at it and know that it was going to go out into the market/library/classroom and help others--teaching them; helping them learn and grow.

Cons

Lots of changes over the last seven years; changes in leadership; changes in vision; changes in budgets, processes, and culture in the office. Sometimes it felt like we were changing just to say we made a change.

It often seemed to me that upper management was looking to staff at lower levels to innovate the next big thing--the next big product that would revolutionize our business and sell like hotcakes. The people in the trenches are busy putting out existing product and often don't have the time or the experience or the vision or means, skills, opportunities, or marketplace knowledge to effectively come up with those revolutionary new products.

Worked for Gale? Contribute to the Community!