Gale Reviews

Updated July 21, 2014
Updated July 21, 2014

3.1

Michael Hansen

Best Agile Development shop that I've worked at.

Current Employee - Developer  in  Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Developer in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Gale full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are lots of Agile development IT Shops in the Detroit Metro area and this is the greatest place I've worked at! There are great people and smart folks to work with. Work-Life balance really means something to management here, it's not just lip-service. I look forward to a long career here.

Cons

The business side of the company is starting to "Get It" with regards to the digital age, but slow to listen to the IT folks. The Mobile Platform strategy is way behind. A widely dispersed development team further entrenches Agile Skeptics against the Agile development movement.

Once we start 'walking the walk' with regards to mobile development strategy, "User-Centric" strategy, then we'll be on the right path. Listen to the folks on the ground who are willing to take up this mantle and run with it!

Okay place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Gale full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

flex time; good benefits; paid time off

Cons

low pay for industry; management cutting incentives

Currently employed for 6 years in Sales

Current Employee - Sales Representative for K12  in  Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Representative for K12 in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Gale full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work/personal life balance and flexible hours.

Cons

No clear opportunities for advancement

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Once a great company -- nothing left but a brand

I have been working at Gale full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Co-workers who have devoted untold hours -- and blood, sweat, and tears -- to create quality educational products

Cons

Almost everything these days: Management that is unwilling/unable to support it's employees, lack of vision, constant reorganizations, outdated systems and processes, increasing lack of flexibility, top-down decisions (despite lip service to the contrary), and nearly non-existent pay raises despite strong performance. The prevailing attitude is now "if you don't like it, go elsewhere." There is almost no concern about the good business sense of cultivating employee loyalty.

Stop adding layer after layer of management; stop with the lip service to collaboration, speed, and productivity

Reinstate Telecommuting!

I have been working at Gale

Pros

Once was our ability to telecommute until a recent change. Having such flexibility has meant a lot to us at the Gale office.

Cons

Please reconsider telecommuting. It makes such a big difference in our happiness and productivity. The work we do is great, but we feel under minded and unappreciated by upper management. They want us all in the office but really don't take the time to understand what we do in the Research, School, Professional organization--Editorial employees especially. Since we do not receive bonuses or hardly raises, it really helps us to have work from home as a perk--a free benefit for you to give! We all do our work on laptops, have Lync, get voicemails forwarded to our Outlook, webex and dial in. What's the point to having this technology if we can't use it? Having the work from home makes us more productive to have that alone quiet time to do work. There are so many distractions in the office that working from home helps to get things done. Plus when you work with us on flexibility, it means so much to us, it makes us want to do more and put more time in. But take it away it makes us feel unappreciated, less productive, and less willing to be flexible for the company. Please take a serious look at the benefits of telecommuting. This is a major plus to employee satisfaction.

Quick fixes don't work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Gale full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance and flexibility.

Cons

Lots of changes in the last few years. Relying too much on quick fixes rather than addressing real issues.

A great deal of uncertainty

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Gale full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people I worked with were terrific.

Cons

Shoot from the hip mentality. They let go entire teams and then rehire displaced people for less money.

Care more.

I loved the Editorial department at Gale; great work-life balance; ability to work independently; and rewarding work.

Former Employee - Content Project Editor  in  Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Content Project Editor in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Gale full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I loved the office culture; I loved the fact that I was producing content and products that would be used by students and librarians, and I loved the fact that my work was interesting, challenging, and enlightening. I learned something new almost every day. It was very fulfilling to complete a project and be able to look at it and know that it was going to go out into the market/library/classroom and help others--teaching them; helping them learn and grow.

Cons

Lots of changes over the last seven years; changes in leadership; changes in vision; changes in budgets, processes, and culture in the office. Sometimes it felt like we were changing just to say we made a change.

It often seemed to me that upper management was looking to staff at lower levels to innovate the next big thing--the next big product that would revolutionize our business and sell like hotcakes. The people in the trenches are busy putting out existing product and often don't have the time or the experience or the vision or means, skills, opportunities, or marketplace knowledge to effectively come up with those revolutionary new products.

Agile Practices Done Right - Not a Merit Badge

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst  in  Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Gale as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

After working for two different contract consulting houses, in Columbus and Ann Arbor areas, and as a result having seen a number of shops in both locations, I consider Cengage Learning's GPT:Engineering group hands-down one of the best shops I've had the privilege of working at. The individuals I get to work with day in and day out are incredible, the management that I come into contact with totally have their heads in the right place, and teams genuinely drive progress every day.

I've been exposed to my share of self-awarded Agile merit badge wearers, fledging Agile wanna-be shops that cannot spell XP, and can say with confidence that Cengage is none of those things. They just do it, do it well, and don't have to talk about doing it. The place is pleasure to work.

Cons

Cengage's 100 year history can sometimes tie the thinking to outdated (or shrinking) revenue streams. Where I'm working is very much reversing that trend, but it still shows up on occasion. Example: Learning should not and cannot be exclusively built around a book.

Stay on the path to more varied and more individualized learning, and we'll do well. Experiment more, and more frequently, right out to end-users.

Short Lived

Current Employee - Sales  in  Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Sales in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Gale full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people doing the day to day work that bought in revenue for this company are the best!

Cons

Management could care less. They only take care of their select group of friends.

None. Why waste brain cells on a group that never has paid attention to the people actually doing the work.

Worked for Gale? Contribute to the Community!