Gale Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Michael Hansen

Pros
  • Good work/life balance and flexibility (in 7 reviews)

• I would say flex time and the work at home program but they took the (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Weak lower and middle management (in 4 reviews)

• Good ole boys network still exists here (in 3 reviews)

1. Great supportive coworkers. I love the flexibility of my work schedule. I am proud of Gale's commitment to learning

Current Employee - Sales Enabelment Specialist in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Enabelment Specialist in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Gale full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent work life balance, flexible schedule, great co-workers & Superior resources

Cons

No opportunities for advancement. Good ole boys club is in full effect.

Advice to Management

You're doing better. Be open to new ideas and continue being transparent in communications

2. Getting better

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Gale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good product and technology teams and improving international sale capability.

Cons

Domestic marketing and sales making improvements and still have some way to go.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on global growth and on playing to Gale's strengths.

3. Great company with an improving future

Current Employee - Technology in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Technology in Farmington Hills, MI

Pros

New executive management team that finally understands what it means to be a digital company An open and honest level of communication with upper management. Good salary and benefits Good physical location in the suburbs Management values work/life balance, but not all employees get the "work" part

Cons

Middle management is weak - great functional expertise, non-existent management skills Still dead wood in some departments Work at home ='s "I'll answer email while I do personal business all day", leaving the team high and dry. Inconsistent work environment - some areas have open, self-managed collaborative teams; other areas have old school top down management: "I have a title, let me assign you work that has my finger prints all over it and write lengthy performance reviews. Now, go back to your cubes!"

Advice to Management

Keep refining your vision and executing on it, it's working. Realize that the best and brightest at your company are not necessarily the people who sit in offices.

optimistic

Current Employee - Michigan in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Michigan in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Gale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Engaged and focused colleagues, opportunities to think and grow, contribute to education and reading

Cons

in the midst of a print to digital migration, forging a new future can be stressful, shiny new skillsets seem more valuable than experience.

Advice to Management

Keep listening and focusing on workplace culture. Gale is becoming a great place to work.

6. Great people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

Pros

The best thing about working for Gale is the people. They are consistently elevating those around them, and it feels good to be surrounded by intelligent colleagues that encourage me to deliver the best version of myself.

Cons

There are some cultural things that could use some tweaking, but with new leadership, I believe that this process has begun. There are some negative legacy components that need to be eventually flushed out, but by no means are they representative of the whole organization.

Advice to Management

Continue to be innovators and continue to push your employees positively.

You take the good, you take the bad...

I have been working at Gale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are decent health care benefits and the days off afforded you are generous.

Cons

Other than the previously mentioned benefits and the fact that you're employed, there is little incentive to recommend working in Editorial at Gale. It is an under-appreciated and even less understood department. Other parts of the company are valued far more than this one, which is evident in salaries, bonuses, and other incentives. Even the littlest things would go a long way towards making the workplace a place to enjoy coming to work rather than not.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees as valued members of the team since no product can exist without any single department.

engagement

Current Employee - Engagement
    Current Employee - Engagement

Pros

The only thing that makes working in this division palatable is many of the people I work with. That is the only pro I can honestly give.

Cons

Customer engagement division is like working in an old boys club except it's women. If it wasn't for the exclusionist, lack of diversity, and unprofessional treatment by managers Gale might have a chance. The recent credo roll out gave me reason for hope but the culture of Gale is not determined by our executive team but by the managers and directors ie the employees. They the managers have been ensconced in these positions so long they are immune to actual change and the word empowered is simply that a meaningless word. They listen not to hear but to reply. The managers are truly not what they portray themselves to be when it comes to managing the respect of their teams.

Advice to Management

You need managers and directors at Gale that are respectful and inspire that actually listen and understands that bad managers run the good employees away and the employees that stay no longer contribute to the company. Future thinking managers understand micromanaging and control do not contribute to the bottom line or morale. Gale culture will not change without putting your managers under the microscope. If it wasn't for the new Gale VP I don't know. If your Gale sales staff would realize that fostering future sales is at least important as securing the sale. That giving away our superior Gale products at bargain basement prices may help the bottom line. In order to be accountable Maybe you need to find new managers and directors with more of an allegiance to a new and prosperous culture rather than to each other. Managers that listen to new ideas from their employees and aren't threatened by perceived slights. My hope is to work for a management team that doesn't rule by intimidation and threats of job insecurity. Instead of transitioning the actual worker bee start with either reprogramming current management or it will be business as usual at Gale and that means loss of employees loss of creativity loss of revenue. The Executive team doesn't make the culture at Gale. Unfortunately the employees drive the lack of a real cultural change with the bulk of lack of change driven by your poor managers and directors.

Once was great

I worked at Gale full-time

Pros

The people, my God the people. Such amazing employees. Like a family.

Cons

Some of the politics, especially as the new regime came in.

Advice to Management

This company needs to be sold. It doesn't fit in with Cengage and the people that work there deserve better leadership -- especially in the executive ranks. The arrogance of the new Cengage regime is doing this great company a disservice. They have lost some phenomenal talent over the last couple of years and a lot more is on their way out. Enough with the layoffs, the falsehoods, the arrogant executives from Pearson and Elsevier, and the lack of any emotional connection with decent employees who are trying to make difference in an important industry. It's time for this company to find its way again.

Great place to work but below average salary

I have been working at Gale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people. Great products. Friendly, casual atmosphere.

Cons

Salary too low, in my opinion. Salaries for Sales and Tech might be better but are pretty low for the people who do a lot of the work to build the products. Mediocre benefits. Not much job security.

Advice to Management

Please have a salary survey done, and circulate it amongst the employees, to see if I'm right about the salary.

A sad experience watching a formerly great company go down the business tubes.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Gale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You work with some of the best and brightest people in the publishing industry. People who care and work hard. I learned more from one of the sales managers there than from whole teams at my present company.

Cons

The larger corporation has no idea what Gale does or how it does it. They continually bring in upper management with no clue what reference publishing is about and get rid of the managers who did. Gale is a round peg in a group of square sister companies where the corporate answer has been to try to shave off the edges.

Advice to Management

Gale is not a textbook company. It is actually not a publisher any more either and distributed titles from lesser reference publishers is not an answer. Sell it off to someone who cares before you totally kill it. You also used to have some of the best management in the industry and now do not - might want to fix that.

RSS Feed </> Embed