Gale Reviews

Updated March 18, 2015
47 reviews filtered by
2.7
Michael Hansen

Industry leading and has been for years

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Gale full-time

Pros

Great work culture. Great people. Great training program. Free coffee and tea. Nice building, great HR department. Fun activities for holidays. Very collaborative between departments. Everyone is very helpful.

Cons

Has recently gone through some challenging years with being bought and sold and then went through bankruptcy due to loans taken out to do the purchase. This has impacted the sales force, and has made some undesirable challenges.

CEO shows great leadership, but is very disconnected from the Gale side of the business. The 2 businesses need to align more into one business. It is confusing to customers and to employees.

Senior Management Disconnected from Reality

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Gale full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great front-line employees who are passionate about transforming the business.

They are trying to do more fun events to engage employees and make it a more pleasant location to work.

Cons

The "leadership" across product, marketing and sales is, quite frankly, a joke. Gale has been slipping in regards to innovation and product quality for at least five years which has resulted in a sharp decline in revenue. Additionally, Gale is no longer viewed by library customers as an industry leader and ceded that title to rival EBSCO long ago. Despite these realities, senior leadership seems to believe that the company will turn it around with the same failed strategies that got us here. There was some hope that our new leader would have a turnaround plan, but he seems to have insulated himself from reality by listening to the same executives that got us into our current mess. The "turnaround" plan is completely detached from reality and does not address the systemic problems that exist at Gale. The fact that he has kept the same executives - save for one - speaks volumes regarding his lack of urgency. Most of the senior managers don't bother to find out what library customers really need. Parent company Cengage Learning will not have patience for the continued decline at Gale for much longer, and there will likely be real pain coming soon.

Shake up the executive ranks and stop taking strategic direction from the same people who got us into this mess. Take a page out of Cengage Learning's book and bring in outside talent to lead the company. Fresh perspectives and a move away from the "go along to get along" mentality is desperately needed if Gale is going to survive in its current form. And finally, seek feedback from the ENTIRE market -- not just the same handful of customers who tell us how wonderful we are.

Unprofessional Mid-Managers

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Gale

Pros

Highly skilled tech employees. Great team players. Employees work together to bring new hires on-board quickly.

Cons

Management is extremely narrow-minded, as well as somewhat dishonest.

Your team is your best asset, use them wisely and be fair to all employees, regardless of race or creed.

Great products, lousy management

Former Employee - Vice President
    Former Employee - Vice President

I worked at Gale

Pros

Esteemed products throughout the library reference world. Talented, bright workforce; most have been there a very long time. Nice location in Farmington Hills, MI. Good salaries and benefits.

Cons

Miserable management and cronyism. If you're not one of the "boys" you're nothing. Parent company Cengage was a mess, went bankrupt and lost brand equity. Very political when it didn't have to be. Senior managers very turf conscious. Happy to leave.

Resign.

Confused Company

Former Employee - Account Manager in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Gale full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance. Some incredibly talented people. High quality products and wonderful customers - libraries and librarians.

Cons

Frightening insecurity. Never know if your job will be there tomorrow. Everyone believes the company will likely be sold, in order for investors to get their money out. Constant upheaval and changes of direction and policies. Weak lower and middle management. It's who you know, not what you know. Outdated customer management tools and internal communications systems. If the company is sold, none of this will likely improve soon.

Please put some stability into your focus. You claim that FOCUS is one of your top three priorities. But, when your focus changes every few months, it is NOT focused.

Can I give it 0 stars?

I worked at Gale full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with--most of them. That's about it. I would say flex time and the work at home program but they took the work at home program away for several employees and flex time could be on it's way out now.

Cons

Where do I start? Indecisiveness, the most uninspiring, non-out-of-the-box directors and managers I've ever seen. Cover yourself syndrome is the order of the day. Status quo is ok, even though they just came out of bankruptcy. Nothing was learning by those in authority in the process. Layoffs are done with no thought process whatsoever and those who are in charge of the new structure put themselves into leadership positions, when they have NO right to be there. Products are put out that are knowingly broken and saying they will get fixed and they never are. The most jacked-up budgeting process I've ever seen is in place. Budgets are not given or approved but then after the money is spent, leaders are like what?? The pay is not good and all areas of the company aren't treated the same. To the people who give it five stars, you just haven't been there long enough. And get rid of the English major who runs one part of the the company who is making business decisions!

Get rid of the directors and managers in many areas. There is no sense of the "empowerment" you speak of. Nobody can make a decision to save their life and there is a lot of "cover yourself" mentality in most areas. Get a bunch of young, dynamic managers in there or that company is going down the drain. I'm giving the senior and mid-level management 1 star but that doesn't mean the CEO or the upper management. They all seem to know where the company is going and should be going but it's not filtering down to the middle. And if certain areas of the company insist on being the be all, end all of everything, tell them to do their jobs and stop bottlenecking every process.

Changing strategy, sales territory's and product bags annually is not a good thing.

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Gale full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cengage management is motivating. Good benefits although cutting back on commissions and bonuses. Used to be a great Company with great benefits and pay. Product managers are fantastic.

Cons

Product bags change annually as does strategy and sales territories. Lack of leadership in key areas holds back sales and product. Good ole boys network still exists here. Opportunity is based on who you work for not the work you do. A lot of good talent is leaving.

Watch middle management for results and accountability. Problem does not exist within the worker bees but the management they are under. Cutting back on commissions and bonuses. Some managers talk a good game but can not produce.

Great for Entry Level.... Not For a Career.....

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Gale full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great office working conditions.
    Great location. Easy on and off the freeway.

Cons

Too many inexperienced managers and VPs in the sales areas.

Management does a very poor job in nurturing their sales staffs.

Middle management are merely pawns and given very little room to creatively train their staffs.

Company has less than stellar account management methods to maintain current client base in order to grow the Gale business within existing clients. Company sells the products, but does not work with the libraries to teach them how to use the electronic products to encourage traffic, thus, libraries drop the products at renewal.

There are no bad sales teams, only bad VPs. If sales teams are not measuring up, look at the Divisional VP. He/she could be the reason. VPs bad mouth their sales teams way too much....

Employees do not leave companies. Employees leave people.

A work in progress, but hopeful

Current Employee - Editorial Assistant in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Editorial Assistant in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Gale full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is finally growing technically. We are catching up with the rest of the world and this should make a huge difference. Most employees are great and very educated. We know our customers and we know our products, and how to put them together with excellent results.

Cons

Unfortunately, as I am sure in all businesses, there are still very bad managers, with absolutely no people skills. And this trickles up, not down. Some feel threatened if you are more knowledgeable then they are, and will surely retaliate. Instead of educating themselves - they attack, not realizing that not only does this affect morale and reduces production and thus profitability - this only forces great people to seek employment elsewhere.

There is a good deal of nepotism in the HR department. In fact the "higher ups" are a little unethical in their practices. Correction - "Very" unethical! I must say, I am very surprised that they are allowed to get away with such things. It makes one wonder just what else is going on...

Professionalism and respect for the internal customer is practically non-existent.

Learn to actively listen to your employees, instead of dictating. You may just learn something.

Make and amends and clean up your mess. Treat ALL employees fairly, not just the chosen few. No matter what their race, color, creed, or nationality. Do this because it is the right thing to do, not because you are afraid of finally getting caught.

Please stop developing an atmosphere of "Yes" men. Realize that customer service begins and ends with us, the employees.

Grow and learn what it actually means to work as a team and that good leadership leads, not punishes.

कर्मन्

Okay place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Gale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flex time; good benefits; paid time off

Cons

low pay for industry; management cutting incentives