Galileo Learning

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Glen Tripp

Good Intern Opportunity

Summer(Camp Counselor) (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsLots of emphasis on training new interns, friendly and personal atmosphere with lots of creative energy, fun choice of classes to work with, great coworkers. Great for a summer job, especially for high schoolers.

ConsAlthough interns are paid, it is not minimum wage and there was often an expectation to stay later than expected. When I worked there, there was poor communication between the counselors/ interns and upper management, and poor organization as it was a transition year between camp directors. As a result, there was some tension and lack of productive feedback.

Rewarding summer job for educators

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosinnovative, fun, professional, creative, authentic, unique

ConsI really have nothing negative to say

Very positive experience at Galileo Learning as a Team Leader

Team Leader (Current Employee)

ProsThe staff is incredibly fun and genuinely supportive.

ConsYou will end up working longer than the posted hours and will not be compensated for the extra time put it. As a team leader, I find myself working during lunch and when I arrive home from work.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees need to be compensated for their additional hours OR should only be required to work during the allocated hours.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun job

Team Leader (Former Employee)

Prosenjoyable experience, meaningful, great people, everyone is friendly

Conslong work hours, can be tiring, very little breaks, and organization is dependent on camp site

I had a wonderful time working with the campers and felt thoroughly supported by the senior staff.

Assistant Instructor, Galileo Summer Quest (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsFun work environment, full and active days, campers generally easy to work with

ConsThere's a very particular work culture and if you don't vibe with it, it can be hard to fit in

learn the true definitions of innovation and collaboration

Summer(Camp Counselor) (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsAmazing culture, great atmosphere, focused on developing both campers and staff. It is so much more than a summer job, it is a location where you can safely test out your leadership capabilities, share ideas and you are fully supported by management staff.

Consthe camp positions are salary but the hours taken at the camp itself make the pay not as high, but you are having so much fun and developing such crucial professional skill-sets in a safe environment that this con is completely outweighed by someone looking for a first job experience that treats you like you and your development are their job as much as creating a fun atmosphere for campers.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne thought is to educate staffers on what the home base does throughout the year and how their careers could potentially grow within Galileo

Great company, you'll have fun AND learn!

Lead Instructor (Former Employee) Dublin, CA

ProsFun staff, approachable and committed leaders. All the people from the main office are there to help with ANYTHING from HR questions to questions with camp materials. Their mission is admirable and permeates the organization. The curriculum is well-written and very organized but they encourage you to bring it to life in your own way. They hire fantastic people so your day will be filled with great co-workers.

ConsTemporary, seasonal work but they love to hire people back.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore opportunities for year-round work or year-round camps (after-school programs?).

I loved working here for the kids and watching them learn, but middle management stifled that with a strict hirearchy

Team Leader (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsIt was a job that always kept me on my toes and taught me how to work with all types of personalities, both in the kids in my group and the adults I worked with. The project the kids get to do was amazing and the experience of mentoring them. The impact I made on asbergers, spectrum, and delayed children was especially rewarding, and that this camp with a Berkeleyesque culture openly welcomed all children.

ConsThe pay was bad, considering I worked over 50 hours every week which is more than full time. II was only paid weekly not hourly so all overtime I incurred was ignored. t was also exhausting work. Middle management was hard to work with because your experience is entirely dependent on your camp director, mine made me cry several times.

I was also pressured almost EVERY DAY to stay late past time without pay even though I was already working over 50 hours a week and had an hour long commute home. It was seen as shameful and selfish to leave to go home on time, like you are not a team player. I felt like it wasn't my fault that the camp was poorly organized to where the "teachers" had to stay until 6 PM cutting out little pieces of paper to have materials for the next day for projects, Galileo should be spending some money on pre-prepared supplies! The other thing is management changes ALL the time, so most camps are run by new directors which will mean your camp will be very disorganized in the beginning, then there will be this huge push from upper management halfway through to clean up everyone's act. This simply means strict new measures are implemented that measure stupid things that don't really relate to the quality of the child's experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just teach or hire camp directors with "camp experience". People skills and management skills are the key part of running a camp, and I felt like that was missing with mine. More consistent management and standards should also be in place. And better supplies that are pre-prepared so the over-worked staff can go home on time.

Good experience but not good pay for interns.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRelatively fun place to work, and staff members are quite friendly.

ConsInterns are underpaid, making less than minimum wage.

Unique

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCreative, feels like you're working with a group of peers (even with uppen management), relaxed environment, camp culture, great feedback and review system.

ConsSmall company, not a lot of job growth at the time.

Worked for Galileo Learning? Contribute to the Community!