Gallup

Gallup Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Apr 26, 2014

Gallup Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Clifton

Jim Clifton

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule (time and location) (in 18 reviews)

• You create your own hours each week, and it's an overall flexible and easy going work environment (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • We give lip service to Wellbeing but no one cares about one's home-work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Senior management needs to make smarter decisions (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights
11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to be a part of

Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat work environment that allows for flexible schedules while still being demanding. Support and access to executive management is strong and your ability to shape the future is available. Account teams are relatively small and the responsibility each consultant has for their portfolio and the advice they deliver their clients, is unmatched. Opportunity to progress at your own speed and not part of the up and out structured review model that so many firms utilize.

ConsThe brand in the marketplace is unmatched in engagement but still not quite there on pure "strategy consulting". As a relatively small firm, the workload can fluctuate at times requiring personal brand building to generate demand if you want to succeed. Training is not as formal as at most firms.

Internship Left Many of Us Scratching Our Heads

Client Development Consultant (MBA Intern) (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros* Very talented co-workers (interns and full-time employees). My fellow interns were very teamwork-oriented. They were all very smart yet didn't act like the smartest guy in the room. Very happy to work with them

Cons* You're expected to work 55 hours a week at a minimum but most of the time, many of us were twiddling our thumbs looking for stuff to do

* The quality of the internship depended on the consultant(s) we worked for. As entrepreneurial, smart, and initiative-driven we all are, a lot of us were really struggling to do meaningful work. And some of the consultants brushed us off (surprise surprise, we were interns)

* Note the Client Development Consultant role...it is a sales position; don't get confused. Your responsibility is to grow business, not to be a management consultant. Know what you are getting into. There's a lot of beating around the bush in regards to what this role is

Advice to Senior Management* The internship is very unstructured. We had a few happy hours here and there but was disorganized. I suppose it wasn't a problem since we interns organized our own activities but just wished the firm tried harder to include us

Good people and good work/life balance, but limited career opportunities.

Client Development Consultant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsOverall the people are smart and pleasant to be around. In the Chicago office, most people work from 9am-5:30pm with little travel, which is very rare within the consulting industry.

ConsThe company hasn't experienced as much growth as a lot of other consulting firms. You can receive outstanding performance reviews without being rewarded in compensation/bonuses/job security. The firm feels slightly "cult-like", and at times employees aggressively push their research and strength-based consulting products onto other employees and clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementCarefully examine employee incentives to ensure they are aligned with performance.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Another former employee who started looking for a new job not long after Gallup hired him.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsName recognition and history. Some interesting research.

Cons- I quickly realized that Gallup was a minor (very minor) league player pretending it was competing in the majors. It likes to think it can compete with McKinsey, BCG, etc. but it simply can't..

- Management is a joke. What serious consulting firm is run as a family business? Office and regional managers are toadies who exist to stroke them egos of the family. The individual who ran our office (and division) was so full of himself that he did not realize how much contempt his staff held him in.

- The pay and benefits are appaling for a company that believes it is a major player.

- I consider my time at Gallup a lost year (actually less than a year).

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real management.

Has changed a lot

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSelf-determination, incredible flexibility about when and where you do your work. Young people just out of grad school are given a lot of responsibility.

ConsUnderpaid for equivalent experience; what have you done for me lately; only expectation is the here-and-now. Sales people count the most and they have very short half lives.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in some consultants to help determine a future for the company. Some strategy would help.

Not what you think

Associate Consultant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe people are some of the smartest anywhere.

ConsThe people: some of the people designated as managers are still wet behind the ears and don't know the first thing about what it means to manage.

feels used; got accepted for client development and pushed into client services

Consulting Specialist (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosflexible vacation schedule; extensive training from start

ConsPay is only based on performance; people are competitive; no bonuses given because it is based on hours and hours are not enough anyway; no raise;

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to treat client services consultants better; the focus is only on business development

We "Ride At Dawn" - Regardless of how bad it is

Principal (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros1. Fellow Employees are very talented and are great to work with.
    2. Gallup thinks/talks big and instills a lot of pride, in the beginning; around the impact one consultant can have within a client. “You can change the world.”
    3. Nice office space.
    4. Science behind approach.
    5. Semi flexible schedules for those on the principal and partner side of the house. Not exactly true for operations.
    6. Senior Partners are great managers and strategists but fail to pick up the leadership torch when it’s dropped or available.

Cons1.Insecure and unqualified Leaders- 1. The Family is not qualified to lead Gallup.2. Gallup has again instructed employees not to read, talk or post things on Glass Door. 3. If an associate is not 100% engaged they are demoted until they quit or are fired outright. Engagement has turned into a witch hunt. A significant portion of employees don’t trust the confidentiality of the Q12 anymore and are not willing to share honest responses due to repercussions.
    2.Healthcare Plan/Benefits are border line criminal.
    3.Very little if any on boarding and absolutely no development.
    4.Gallup operates similar to a bi-polar individual or maybe tri-polar is more accurate. You can break 99% of Gallup into 3 types of employees. Partners (Sales Guys), Principals (Thinkers/Doers) and Operations (Doers). Partners report to the CEO. Principals report to the COO. Operations report to the COO. The issue is the partners, principal and operations are not aligned, but the family thinks they are.
    5.Careers- or lack thereof. A Principal/Partner Career at Gallup means being hired into a position which you will never be able to be promoted or transfer out of.
    6.Quadrants of Excellence. Great in theory and has a number of great elements. Tries to focus performance on more than just selling more to clients and doing so with much higher margins, which was the basic business plan until the beginning of 2011. But as most companies are trying to remove subjectivity from performance ratings Gallup is trying to increase the subjectivity, which only means if the family likes you, you can get a larger portion of your bonus and a new title/pay raise. The amount of ambiguity is tremendous. The plan has been explained so many different ways it has lost all of its credibility. No one has any idea what to do to exceed expectations and achieve goals- other than log 2300 + hours.
    7.Pay raises only come with new titles. When hiring in don’t expect or plan on yearly cost of living adjustments or pay raises.
    8.Semi Flexible- but you need to have a set number of hours/week, 2300 hours a year and can’t work from home anymore.
    9.Financial transparency has been eliminated. Which isn’t good or bad but it is interesting to point out that this only happened after Gallup had a “record year” and they turned around and gave the entire Principal organization 20% pay cuts and demoted the most senior principal.
    10.Gallup Bosses- Gallup is over dependent on talent indicators and not on actual performance. Far too often people are put into Bosses roles without any prior experience and are now being asked to Boss teams in areas they know nothing about.
    11.Lack of articulated values. Everything at Gallup revolves around getting to 1 Billion in sales. The number one focus isn’t associates, it isn’t clients and it isn’t just 2300 hours- the goal is trying to figure out how to get signatures on large contracts. Unfortunately only a handful of the sales guys know the “Gallup Science” and programs and most of the new guys are right out of school which makes them 25-30 years old.
    12. Client Team changes due to turnover. Gallup’s approach to the client teams seem to be plug and play. If someone leaves- and turnover is very high now- Gallup just assigns someone else to the account and pretends nothing has happened. Any historical knowledge walks out the door and is replaced with a 20-30 year old.
    13. Gallup doesn’t have a traditional consulting structure, single track, which Gallup argues is due to specific talent profiles. This means higher costs to do business with Gallup and usually a partner on the account who usually brings very little to no value to the client but adds costs to the account. At the end of the day this can’t really change though- how else is Gallup going to train a 25- 30 year old “Partner” unless they “work” on accounts and get some experience- this cost of course gets passed onto clients, with a healthy margin.
    14.Pay Plans change every couple of years depending on the Family’s perception of who should be earning more or less. This last pay change, Jan. 2011, was just another pay cut and won’t be the last. Expect pay adjustments every 2 years or so with a negative outcome for most and no explanation.
    15.ICE- Internal Customer Engagement- huge popularity contest. Stop the ICE madness!

Advice to Senior Management1. Drop the “Ride at dawn” after each speech.
    2. Drop the name dropping.
    3. Hire someone with experience to run the company and take a step back.
    4. Hire someone to run the principal organization from outside the company, give them some authority and a position on the board.
    5. Be honest and open about changes.
    6. Six Sigma or Lean department…???
    7. Transparency

Now a Culture of Fear with More Undergrads Behind the Wheel

Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere are amazing, talented people at Gallup (although just as many have left). You'll be introduced to concepts that make an amazing workplace (you just won't find them practiced at Gallup).

ConsAs many of the earlier posts indicate, Gallup has undergone a massive organizational change. While the change as an idea might be positive, the execution of this change has ruined the morale, the culture, and the reputation of the company. The earlier posts recap this in great detail and with high accuracy. The bottom line is that employees who naturally worked long hours (over 2300), felt motivated to exceed expectations, and who gave EVERYTHING to the organization were disrespected and reminded that even the most perfect company is still a business. It's not about the reduced pay or pay caps, it's about senior leaders bragging about the financial success the company is now enjoying (um, it's likely due to the surplus in payroll you have). It's not about the true lack of transparency; it's about the fact that we pretend to be transparent. It's not about some turnover following the change; it's about treating those once valued employees as crap and replacing them with 21 year olds. It's not about all of the new policies and rules; it's about asking for your employees input on what changes make the most sense for those most affected.

It is saddening to read these posts because so many people were emotionally impacted by the change. Before, I didn't need a website because I'd actively tell my friends, family, and random (qualified) strangers that they should be so lucky as to work for Gallup. Now, I visit a website to warn people against it.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe cannot be a change management consulting firm when we failed so horribly at our own changes. Maybe a 21 year old will have a super solution to all of this, though...

Oh, and people respond all 5's to the survey so you'll leave us alone.

The beatings will continue until you are happy to obey

Principal (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPeople, science, office space, clients

ConsOwners (The Family), senior leaders, 2300 billable hours per year, no career paths, no development opportunity, average consulting age is about 24 now (young and dumb), focus on margins not client impact, new consulting managers were supervisors at the call center (WHY?), your opinion doesn't matter

Advice to Senior ManagementGiving advice to the family or senior bosses is like giving a dinner mint to a skunk.....

Worked for Gallup? Contribute to the Community!