Gallup Reviews

Reset
3.6
Gallup Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Clifton
Jim Clifton

Pros
  • Very flexible work schedule & personal development (in 20 reviews)

• You create your own hours each week, and it's an overall flexible and easy going work environment (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of work-life balance (every week is over 45 (in 9 reviews)

• to instantly be hired or promoted into senior management positions that pay multiples of what anyone else makes (in 14 reviews)

Perfect firm for me, though not for everyone

Current Employee - Senior Client Development Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Client Development Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gallup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Valuable member of the team very quickly * Leadership responsibility of your own portfolio * Autonomy to set your own schedule, work style and run a team your way * Access to leaders internally but more importantly externally in your clients * Great office culture (few cubes and frequently socializing with co-workers) * Quality of projects on par with other firms without the requirement to travel Monday-Thursday

Cons

* Minimal structured training programs * Can get stuck in a rut with your portfolio without a clear picture out * Operational procedures have not advanced quickly enough * Management structure is lacking

Former Partner

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gallup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Majestic history. When you start you are proud to be associated with a company that has such an important past.

Cons

Ridiculous nepotism. No one to counter or criticize the controlling family. The Midwest managing partner is a 5th rate manager working for a 4th rate company.

Advice to Management

I see from the Gallup home page that the company has struck up a relationship with McKinsey. Yet I have very definite memories of the CEO dismissing the effectiveness of McKinsey during the yearly partners meetings. He also did this during casual conversations on several occasions. My advice is to stop pretending you're a McKinsey equivalent.

Ok Work environment; Ok People

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gallup part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a good first job out of college. Really good for getting your feet wet. The people appear committed to working hard so its encouraging to be in a work environment so focused on succeeding.

Cons

the workload is considerable. A work life balance is difficult to obtain while at Gallup. Other reviews mention the workaholic frame of mind and I'll second that.

Advice to Management

lighten up. the company won't crumble if one out of eight assignments doesn't get finished on time. If you lighten up people will work harder and better.

Not real management consulting

Current Intern - Client Development Consultant (MBA) in Chicago, IL
    Current Intern - Client Development Consultant (MBA) in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gallup as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Talented and fun people, flexible and generally laid back work environment, nice work space,

Cons

Very unstructured environment, lack of feedback or direction in your work, unclear outlook for the company - they don't know where they are going or how to get there, very family-driven - the CEO's sister and son are both top executives, lack of real strategy work. Here's the honest truth: If you are an MBA intern for the Client Development Consultant role, you will probably be disappointed. The pay for interns is nice, and they treat you like the cream of the crop, but at the end of the day you won't really learn anything you didn't learn in business school in the internship. The role is essentially a business development role, and you won't be doing any real strategy consulting. I turned down a full-time offer, while some of my fellow interns (who I now consider friends), accepted it and are now regretting it. You can make real money, yes, and if you are someone who is sales-oriented and wants to make 200k+ after 3 years with the company, you can do it. However, I don't think the skills or experience from the consultant position at Gallup translate to any other company. That was my biggest concern.

6. MBA Intern - a great way to spend your summer with diverse projects

Former Intern - Client Development Consultant (MBA) in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Client Development Consultant (MBA) in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gallup as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Upbeat peers, a mix of internal and external projects, opportunities to be client facing, and a weekly check in to determine the progress of the whole team of interns made this a successful, industrious internship experience for me.

Cons

Nature of the work could have been more challenging. Also, I understand that the lack of direction was intended to weed out those who were not comfortable taking initiative, but it's not exactly an environment conducive to mingling on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Structure interactions between the top and bottom floor to make it easier for interns to focus on their work.

Internship Left Many of Us Scratching Our Heads

Former Intern - Client Development Consultant (MBA Intern) in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Client Development Consultant (MBA Intern) in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gallup as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

* Very talented co-workers (interns and full-time employees). My fellow interns were very teamwork-oriented. They were all very smart yet didn't act like the smartest guy in the room. Very happy to work with them

Cons

* You're expected to work 55 hours a week at a minimum but most of the time, many of us were twiddling our thumbs looking for stuff to do * The quality of the internship depended on the consultant(s) we worked for. As entrepreneurial, smart, and initiative-driven we all are, a lot of us were really struggling to do meaningful work. And some of the consultants brushed us off (surprise surprise, we were interns) * Note the Client Development Consultant role...it is a sales position; don't get confused. Your responsibility is to grow business, not to be a management consultant. Know what you are getting into. There's a lot of beating around the bush in regards to what this role is

Advice to Management

* The internship is very unstructured. We had a few happy hours here and there but was disorganized. I suppose it wasn't a problem since we interns organized our own activities but just wished the firm tried harder to include us

Great company to be a part of

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gallup full-time

Pros

Great work environment that allows for flexible schedules while still being demanding. Support and access to executive management is strong and your ability to shape the future is available. Account teams are relatively small and the responsibility each consultant has for their portfolio and the advice they deliver their clients, is unmatched. Opportunity to progress at your own speed and not part of the up and out structured review model that so many firms utilize.

Cons

The brand in the marketplace is unmatched in engagement but still not quite there on pure "strategy consulting". As a relatively small firm, the workload can fluctuate at times requiring personal brand building to generate demand if you want to succeed. Training is not as formal as at most firms.

Good people and good work/life balance, but limited career opportunities.

Former Intern - Client Development Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Client Development Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gallup as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall the people are smart and pleasant to be around. In the Chicago office, most people work from 9am-5:30pm with little travel, which is very rare within the consulting industry.

Cons

The company hasn't experienced as much growth as a lot of other consulting firms. You can receive outstanding performance reviews without being rewarded in compensation/bonuses/job security. The firm feels slightly "cult-like", and at times employees aggressively push their research and strength-based consulting products onto other employees and clients.

Advice to Management

Carefully examine employee incentives to ensure they are aligned with performance.

Another former employee who started looking for a new job not long after Gallup hired him.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gallup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Name recognition and history. Some interesting research.

Cons

- I quickly realized that Gallup was a minor (very minor) league player pretending it was competing in the majors. It likes to think it can compete with McKinsey, BCG, etc. but it simply can't.. - Management is a joke. What serious consulting firm is run as a family business? Office and regional managers are toadies who exist to stroke them egos of the family. The individual who ran our office (and division) was so full of himself that he did not realize how much contempt his staff held him in. - The pay and benefits are appaling for a company that believes it is a major player. - I consider my time at Gallup a lost year (actually less than a year).

Advice to Management

Get real management.

Has changed a lot

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gallup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Self-determination, incredible flexibility about when and where you do your work. Young people just out of grad school are given a lot of responsibility.

Cons

Underpaid for equivalent experience; what have you done for me lately; only expectation is the here-and-now. Sales people count the most and they have very short half lives.

Advice to Management

Bring in some consultants to help determine a future for the company. Some strategy would help.

RSS Feed </> Embed