Gallup

www.gallup.com
Employer Engaged

73 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Pretend to care about their people, worst company I ever worked for.

Current Employee - Interviewer in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Interviewer in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Gallup full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some flexibility in work schedule but almost all gone now.

Cons

Run away, they do not want your opinions, they do not care about anyone, they do not have real "engagement", only forced. Always taking advantage of their overworked, underpaid employees and too many "required" not paid for meetings, feedback and requirements that are part of the job again not paid for.

None, they think they are superior and know everything.

Run as Far Away as You Can!!

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Bellevue, NE
    Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Bellevue, NE

I worked at Gallup part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good job for night owls and people with no social life. You'll get a paycheck. They will hire pretty much anyone that has a pulse and no strong accent.

Cons

Forced social events that are unpaid, shady pay structure that pretty much assures you will never get a bonus or even the $9.75 they say they will pay you. A call center filled with teenagers who are there to socialize and, for some reason, people who think watching TV at work is acceptable. Their idea of a reward is getting your own desk. Everything seems to be based on popularity rather than the type of work you do.

Stop hiring any idiot who actually shows up to the group interview.

Not at all what they preach.

Former Employee - Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Gallup full-time

Pros

Experience for your resume, and getting to offer at least some support to the people you manage through treating them respectfully and as people (even though this sometimes comes at a high cost)

Cons

Hostile work environment, fear of losing job, working 70 hours/week, "professional" co-workers and supervisors more concerned about drinking and fashion than their jobs, seeing workers below you treated poorly, being asked to do things that were just bordering illegal (like telling people not to take their breaks because they would get paid less, being pressured to not hire pregnant women, hiring based on race, etc.), very little support, looked down on for wanting a family life or balance, having middle aged men with no families get special treatment, having confidential information shared about others with me that should not have been, being told to work ten additional weekend hours on Friday, yelling during manager meetings, and much, much more.

The interviewing department probably is the worst. Most of the managers I worked with while I was there were on anti-depressants, on anti-anxiety medications, had stomach ulcers or other stress-related illnesses, etc.

I was a manager, but I believe the interviewers have it even worse.

Read your own books and start practicing what's in them.

Advice to upper management: let go of some of your interviewing leadership who work at the Riverfront.

Deceived at Gallup

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Gallup full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Job for young people who do not need to take breaks for 8 hours. The company does not want you to take breaks. And, they find ways to discourage you not to take breaks.

Cons

Lied to about starting wage. Told over $9 dollars per hour. Found out, if you do not make quota, you would get minimum wage. You do not take pay for breaks , at least paid breaks as this hurts your "capacity", a meaure of how many surveys you do. You do not get paid vacation, YOU DO NOT GET PAID SICK LEAVE, YOU DO NOT GET PAID HOLIDAYS. THEY MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT GET OVER QUOTA TOO MUCH, SO AS NOT TO PAY YOU AS MUCH. STAY AWAY.

You do not care.

fun

Current Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Gallup part-time (more than a year)

Pros

flexible work schedule and competitve pay. There are monthly forums and we get awarded for different things that make you feel like they care.

Cons

Dealing with people who really don’t want to talk to you every day can be frustrating and disheartening. Sometimes after work you feel like you just got jumped into a gang because as easy as the job is.. it’s also hard when people try you every day.

The management tried.

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Gallup part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The managers always seemed like they genuinely cared, and lived their motto of taking care of employees. There will be many free food days or charity dinners at work. The most flexible schedule possible.

Cons

People do not take kindly to you calling them. There will be shifts that you don't come close to making minimum wage, but as long as you do for the pay period you can make $0 in a shift.

Entering the coal mine.

Former Employee - Interviewer in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Interviewer in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Gallup full-time (more than a year)

Pros

schedule flexibility... that's about it.

Cons

Utter lack of respect for employees. No paid anything... sick days, vacation, toilet breaks, "guidance sessions". Employees are not paid at all unless they are on the phone. Feedback is requested and then completely ignored... standing up for employee fairness is punished. The fact that you could be fired for making a single error hangs over you...pizza's and tootsie-rolls, and Hersey kisses do not mitigate the tacit knowledge that, at any time, you could be terminated. Employee engagement is just a string of consonants and vowels. They sell a product to which they themselves don't subscribe. Simple fairness is a foreign concept. Interviewing is not easy. Opening the front door, the pay, treatment, lack of honest respect, and the daily grind make you feel like you are entering a coal-mine... cogs in wheels... Gallup is a company that lacks humanity

Recognize the work employees accomplish for its difficulty. Generally, employees are 1 paycheck from disaster... missing work due to illness is just too costly. Include sick pay (dare I say vacation pay, too), monetary respect... empathy

Good Luck making money

Former Employee - Consumer Interviewer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Consumer Interviewer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Gallup full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are a creative person and planning to open up your own business, you will get the downtime (at your cubicle) to devise such a successful strategic plan.

Cons

Management doesn't seem to be on the same page. They don't understand the interviewers and the issues that come up with interviewing. They have no prior experience so they can only view their large pocket book viewpoint.

The promote the Strengths Finder, but they don't practice what they preach. They're pure hypocrites.

The career opportunities are limited to those with a degree. IE: People who have no life experience with the company. The interviewers who have a few years under their belt know the job well. They would be far better managers than the school kids you hire straight out of their graduating classes.

I rated work/ Life balance at 50% because Gallup used to allow and even encourage their employees to take breaks from work. Now that interviewers (only) must complete a schedule and stick to it, while raising quotas and lowering pay, your free time will now be spent at your place of work, trying to make up for your lost production hours in actual hours.

If you want to help yourself, start communicating more. Perhaps if you put in the extra effort to gain your employees respect, rather than constantly jumping down their throats, you'd realize that your job would be much easier.

It is not in the job description that your interviewers skew statistics. That is your fault. The lack of quality control is produced by upper-management, so stop screwing over the people who conduct the main work. Stop lowering pay, all-the-while, raising quotas. Maybe if you provide incentives for your employees, they'll have a motive to stay with the company and become great assets, rather than blaming everything on them and regulating them into depression.

Gored mid-Gallup

Former Employee - Interviewer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Interviewer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Gallup part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The managers are super friendly and always make you feel at home in the office.

Cons

Much of the atmosphere is incredibly unprofessional. I took an approved three weeks off to study for my finals and when I returned I was told that my job was no longer available to me. On top of that, managers now gossip about me behind my back along with other ex-employees who unwittingly gotten the axe for no reason.

Hire less Abercrombie-esque figures for managers and find people who will do their jobs professionally.

Good company to work for, if you're a work-aholic

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Gallup full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits
    onsite gym
    wellness activities
    onsite credit union
    employees really care for each other
    Very bright employees

Cons

Annual hour requirement is crazy high.
    IT very dis-organized, little clear direction, or a direction that regularly changes.
    Spend years on a major strategy only to throw it away
    Instead of build once and reuse, it's rebuild, rebuild, rebuild. Even buying new software that does the same thing as software we already own, but is under-utilized or not implemented.
    Poor work/life balance
    Not a lot of room for upward growth. Very flat company.
    No vacation.. (Seriously). Any time you take off has to be made up.

Upper management needs to learn to practice what they preach. We tell other companies how to run their businesses, but we don't seem to follow that same advise. We demand crazy high work hours, always "on" mentality.