Gallup Reviews in Nebraska

Updated October 11, 2014
2.9

Gallup Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Clifton
Jim Clifton

Pros
  • The flexible work schedule is great (in 20 reviews)

• You create your own hours each week, and it's an overall flexible and easy going work environment (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of work-life balance (every week is over 45 (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management needs to make smarter decisions (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

68 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

fun

Current Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Gallup part-time (more than an year)

Pros

flexible work schedule and competitve pay. There are monthly forums and we get awarded for different things that make you feel like they care.

Cons

Dealing with people who really don’t want to talk to you every day can be frustrating and disheartening. Sometimes after work you feel like you just got jumped into a gang because as easy as the job is.. it’s also hard when people try you every day.

The management tried.

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Gallup part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The managers always seemed like they genuinely cared, and lived their motto of taking care of employees. There will be many free food days or charity dinners at work. The most flexible schedule possible.

Cons

People do not take kindly to you calling them. There will be shifts that you don't come close to making minimum wage, but as long as you do for the pay period you can make $0 in a shift.

Good Luck making money

Former Employee - Consumer Interviewer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Gallup full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are a creative person and planning to open up your own business, you will get the downtime (at your cubicle) to devise such a successful strategic plan.

Cons

Management doesn't seem to be on the same page. They don't understand the interviewers and the issues that come up with interviewing. They have no prior experience so they can only view their large pocket book viewpoint.

The promote the Strengths Finder, but they don't practice what they preach. They're pure hypocrites.

The career opportunities are limited to those with a degree. IE: People who have no life experience with the company. The interviewers who have a few years under their belt know the job well. They would be far better managers than the school kids you hire straight out of their graduating classes.

I rated work/ Life balance at 50% because Gallup used to allow and even encourage their employees to take breaks from work. Now that interviewers (only) must complete a schedule and stick to it, while raising quotas and lowering pay, your free time will now be spent at your place of work, trying to make up for your lost production hours in actual hours.

If you want to help yourself, start communicating more. Perhaps if you put in the extra effort to gain your employees respect, rather than constantly jumping down their throats, you'd realize that your job would be much easier.

It is not in the job description that your interviewers skew statistics. That is your fault. The lack of quality control is produced by upper-management, so stop screwing over the people who conduct the main work. Stop lowering pay, all-the-while, raising quotas. Maybe if you provide incentives for your employees, they'll have a motive to stay with the company and become great assets, rather than blaming everything on them and regulating them into depression.

Gored mid-Gallup

Former Employee - Interviewer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Interviewer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Gallup part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The managers are super friendly and always make you feel at home in the office.

Cons

Much of the atmosphere is incredibly unprofessional. I took an approved three weeks off to study for my finals and when I returned I was told that my job was no longer available to me. On top of that, managers now gossip about me behind my back along with other ex-employees who unwittingly gotten the axe for no reason.

Hire less Abercrombie-esque figures for managers and find people who will do their jobs professionally.

Good company to work for, if you're a work-aholic

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Gallup full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits
    onsite gym
    wellness activities
    onsite credit union
    employees really care for each other
    Very bright employees

Cons

Annual hour requirement is crazy high.
    IT very dis-organized, little clear direction, or a direction that regularly changes.
    Spend years on a major strategy only to throw it away
    Instead of build once and reuse, it's rebuild, rebuild, rebuild. Even buying new software that does the same thing as software we already own, but is under-utilized or not implemented.
    Poor work/life balance
    Not a lot of room for upward growth. Very flat company.
    No vacation.. (Seriously). Any time you take off has to be made up.

Upper management needs to learn to practice what they preach. We tell other companies how to run their businesses, but we don't seem to follow that same advise. We demand crazy high work hours, always "on" mentality.

I should have appreciated what I had

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Gallup full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Make your own hours, decent pay, no one breathing down your neck.

Cons

Horrible benefits!!!! Interviewers were treated as less thans.

Provide better benefits

Great job in market Research

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Gallup part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, great pay for the type of work and opportunities to make quite a bit of money. Given lots of opportunities to work on different types of work that will allow you to find something that fits your interests typically.

Cons

Given that market research in itself is somewhat unpredictable in regards to scheduling and completion rate, sometimes difficult to anticipate paychecks.

keep on doing what you do, the industry is tough.

Great people

Current Employee - Project Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Gallup full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people dedicated to their work

Cons

Expectations of hours exceeds usual work environments.

Phone Work is All About Performance

I worked at Gallup full-time

Pros

Once you pass the online personality profile and prove yourself personable, persuasive, performance-driven (pick any pair, at least) but always polite, on the phone, you're in and you can make decent money - even good money for this kind of work - especially when you consider that you aren't asking people to buy anything, just give their opinions.
    The Gallup name still carries enough good will that some people will talk to you for the name alone.
    Flexible hours.
    Tuition assistance program.
    The transgressions for which an interviewer can be terminated are very clear and usually easy to avoid. Most of the interviewers I know who have been fired knew they deserved it.
    A clear path is provided for you as an interviewer to improve your pay scale and bonuses do help.
    There is a chance for promotion to management positions or a place in the corporate office, especially if you're an attractive, young, female UN Lincoln graduate or related to someone in the inner circle (in which case, you aren't reading this anyway).
     If you perform well and act like you want to participate in the culture - and culture is EVERYTHING here - they'll make it easy for you to continue. Even if you don't perform well right away, they'll try to help you improve - and some people do. But some people don't or can't or won't. If you can not make yourself fit in, they will make it easy for you to decide to leave (but do try to stay at least six months so you can list them on your resume without fearing they'll tell prospective employers that you are not eligible for re-hire).

Cons

You must be willing to learn how to deal with rejection and to speak politely and effectively with rude and/or stupid respondents. This type of work is not for everyone.
    Your success will be determined largely by your willingness to submit to a Borg-like "tribal" culture. They expect you to love them without reserve while they reserve the right to terminate you at will.

Very few of us have been given reason to believe we belong to your "tribe." Sure, it sounds cool but please, be real.

Sheer Arrogance

Former Employee - Software Development in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Software Development in Omaha, NE

I worked at Gallup full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice campus and office area's - some good co-workers to work with. Other than that it was expected that you either were buddies with somebody higher up or you will get poor performance reviews.

Cons

Arrogant HR and management. My friend with over 20 years of experience in a particular I.T. area was told that although he had great experience company policy prohibits him from even being interviewed and to never apply for a position again without a 4 yr degree. Are you kidding me what good is a 4 year degree achieved 30 years ago compared to 20 years of experience?

get rid of corporate micro management attitudes and old boy network - change the hiring process to accept years of experience or a degree like most companies. It borders on age discrimination. I worked on a highly technical team of 20 individuals at another company and everybody was very good at the job - maybe 5 actually had a 4 year degree.