Gallup

Updated January 22, 2015
2.7

Gallup Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Clifton
Jim Clifton

Pros
  • The flexible work schedule is great (in 20 reviews)

• You create your own hours each week, and it's an overall flexible and easy going work environment (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of work-life balance (every week is over 45 (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management needs to make smarter decisions (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Energetic Environment

I have been working at Gallup

Pros

Flexible working hours
    Good worklife balance
    Indivisual responsibilities
    Good understanding colleagues and managers

Cons

Ambiguous growth structure
    Sub-par pay
    Non technical managers for Technical teams
    Some poor managers

Keep up the good work

Call Center

Former Employee - Call Center in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Call Center in Omaha, NE

I worked at Gallup part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Very flexible, choose your own hours, great management staff that really wants you to exceed
    -Good pay if you make enough surveys and are full time
    -very rewarding company, lots of fun time in the office

Cons

-Pay is all commission based and a lot of people dont want to take surveys
    getting yelled at by angry people wondering why you called them
    -didn't make enough money most of the time just from people hanging up and not wanting to take survey

Higher compensation for workers and don't base pay off of commission

It was alright, for short term

I worked at Gallup

Pros

Management was great
    People are friendly
    Environment was nice

Cons

Long hours
    Quota is hard to meet

Not for everyone

Current Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Gallup full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you work hard and become good at getting people to say yes you can make good money. They have decent benefits and work environment is great. It is a great company if you have to balance school and/or other life challenges.

Cons

If you can not sit in a desk for 8 hours a day and deal with people on the phones it is not the job for you. Also there is no where for you to move up no matter how successful you are, they are not a horizontal company.

Some managers need to be more familiar with all the ins and outs for on the phone problems and issues.

Great brand

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Gallup full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart co-workers and exposure to high level Fortune 500 executives. Great place to learn, grow, and build a career.

Cons

Gallup is known for its research and science - always will be. We fell a little behind in technology but we've made the appropriate adjustments and technology is now a strength and blossoming part of our company.

Continue to focus on technology. Everything that comes from it is good.

Being on the phone is fine, management was terrible

Current Employee - Interviewer in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Interviewer in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Gallup part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Good pay
    -Can have a longer than 30 minute lunch

Cons

-Management is condescending, manipulative, and just overall awful
    -The people you work with are mostly all awful, some good eggs, most people are rotten.
    -While pay is good, it's all commission after two months. If no one answers the phone, you get nothing.
    -While you can have a longer lunch, you are also expected to make up whatever time past 15 minutes up before you leave.
    -If you're sick, you will most likely get fired because they expect you to be there every day and then some and you have to work at least 20 hours no matter what. Vacations, sick days, errands, all unheard of to this company

The absolute worst company I've ever worked for, hire new management.

Should have been, could have been, wasn't...

I worked at Gallup

Pros

Gallup DC has some stellar office space and a handful of truly amazing thinkers and offers flexibility. Many are hard working and knowledgeable about conducting field research and the pitfalls associated for any org. who works in the field. The tenured staff at Gallup are nearly all interested, invested, and committed but their numbers are limited. There are many social opportunities if you don't mind the hassle of being pressed to attend after work events. These events are often informative and interesting though sometimes border political . The polling staff and both national and global polling are solid tools with global implications and despite the flaws associated with this type of research in general it is really astonishing what is accomplished. There are levels of support and opportunities on project management, field ops and editing.. The culture on it's face encourages positive thinking and fosters a bond between staff that helps create a 'cohort' mentality to help the newbies adapt. Strengths and talent are nice conversations and the data is interesting when the aim is to foster a better and more transparent environment, therefore when the company sticks to what it does best, being a vendor, the work can be excellent and there's room to grow with the client, particularly in hospitality and retail. Client list was good but they do not like being sold something more every one minute.

Cons

I sincerely wish I had not held the belief that only naysayers write on these review boards when I read this before leaving another job to come aboard. The utter disgust so artfully written by others from DC really capture the mood and environment at Gallup.

A big challenge for Gallup is that they have a good brand to some degree and some high profile clients and a handful of totally overworked but talented employees, but they are very much a for profit and also a lean company with no resource or human capital management (bad managers). There is an absence of any internal system that works in this respect. In addition the idea that a positive culture exists at the organization is a myth quickly dispelled upon arrival.

About the work: Public recognition events often appeared to be a source of great discontent for the general workforce. The organization encourages personal friendship and relationships so you can imagine how this turns out. Individuals appear to get most credit for projects that others do all the work to secure. Definitely a crony system with rewards built in for some pretty unsavory people who do not concern themselves with the smart people that make them look good.

For me, the grossly under-performing management calls into question how the talent management and selection system works, and it seems to frequently shifts to compensate for "shortfalls in the talent hired" even though this demonstrates one of two possibilities: Either the talent acquisition model is a failure or the people hired are completely mismanaged. The turnover is high because of the underlying nature of this organization and its senior management and not the challenges of the job (they also change job titles continuously). Gallup leadership say and believe that only a certain person can be a Gallup consultant and that performance culture drives productivity and revenue, however, in reality the practice internally is the opposite in that performance is in fact associated with hours worked and other more subjective measures. Also, there is a very large gap between seasoned staff and the vast majority who have limited experience onsite. On the bright side this is clear when you're hired so not a surprise. You will pay for your own vacation, making up for your time off to make your required production hours and billable hours. NOTE: There is no time off, but you can work when you want, just get those forty something hours in or make them up and they really do need to be client hours so those friendships are very important if you want hours to make a name for yourself. You will meet individuals you would like to mentor you, but you will quickly realize they have no time, though they wish they did. During my time, various level consultants frequently worked on projects without specific subject matter knowledge simply because they were preferred by the salesperson (surely the name has changed from client development). It is a nonsensical manner of work distribution and negatively influences the client and those who are taking on more than they can handle.

Because there is a lack of accountability - zero accountability for managers and leaders to be accountable and there is a pervasive culture of fear. While I sympathize with some managers, the passive aggressive smile and nod in the required review meeting after a 30 minute discussion of talent and strengths results in a long list of how YOU can find your own internal and external clients, how YOU should find partners to get you work, and essentially what YOU are not doing (think positive psychology, you can change this) and all of this occurs while there is managers fail to take responsibility for matching background and talent to work available and to actually assign teams to projects that make sense. The sense is that if you're liked, look good and get adopted then you're good.

I think the biggest miss at the Gallup Organization is a lack of understanding about how to aply any logical interpretation of their science internally and the decision to drop clients. Flat orgs don't work in this environment becuase it's family and crony oriented and not a single person seems to be making sure higher ups actually do their job. If I had to I would guess that people are right now looking around that beautiful office space feeling something they just can't put their finger on. I felt that way and discovered what I was feeling was an absence of senior staff in the numbers you'd expect to see, a lack of work, and an underlying unease with those who had survived the 1 or 2 year mark . There was a distance from senior staff at first, as if they don't want to say something to soon. Many were gone in a short time and few were there when I left. The failure of the ever-changing business strategy lends itself to an heir of instability at times. I must say this was the worst job that could have been the best job. The disappointment was immediate for the reasons above and noted throughout this board.

None. They know. Perhaps hire a consulting firm to get things moving in a different direction. Stop working the talent to death to feed the sharks.

Gallup was a very nice company to work for.

I worked at Gallup full-time

Pros

The benefit of working for Gallup is they are flexible, understanding, and willing to help you succeed.

Cons

Working mostly evenings is a downside. Work is repetitive.

Offer more opportunities for advancement.

Gallup is worst Job I have had to date... You will be sorry..

I have been working at Gallup

Pros

Comfy environment
    Convenient Location, and scheduling along with potluck , which I don't touch
    That's it

Cons

Too many odds stacked against you for what they pay... This job has its days numbered and you will feel stupid asking STUPID QUESTIONS that you have to read VERBATUM. This job is for 12 year olds. You will be better off collecting unemployment than for the dollars you receive every 2 weeks from here and this is a second jobs that I hold.

Get a heart and care about employees needs FIRST instead of LYING to them... ( Bellevue, Nebraska branch. )

The. Worst. Company. Ever.

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Gallup full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is only one I can think of: A globally known and (somehow) respected brand. You tell people where you work at and everyone has heard on it.

Cons

Wow…..where to begin. Let’s break this down by categories maybe:

MANAGEMENT: This is entirely composed of The Family and their personal friends. How this company has stayed in business this long with their current leadership is beyond me. I assume it’s because the insanity of their high prices is only surpassed by their low wages. Well, unless your part of The Family. I have never seen nepotism so securely built into the foundation of a company as it is here. In my time at this place, there were several managers whom I still have NO IDEA what they actually did/do for a job.

PEOPLE: Gallup does not hire people based on intelligence, qualifications, education, transferable skills, or experience. Therefore, Gallup does not have employees that are intelligent, qualified, educated, skillful, or experienced. Gallup claims they hire based on “talent”. Now the company will give you some cute description on what “talent” is, but it’s really nothing more than a magical pixie dust unicorn “science” they arbitrarily apply to various people. When you are hired, you are not told what “talent” you have. You can never ask about your “talent”, and will never be told about your “talent”. From day one, you are supposed to follow the piper like lemmings without ever knowing if you can/will be promoted, or if you even have the “talent” for a different job. Surprisingly enough, every member of The Family (or their close personal friends) has the “talent” to instantly be hired or promoted into senior management positions that pay multiples of what anyone else makes.

COMPENSATION: Some, if not THE, lowest you will find in the market. The constant frustration with your horrific pay is also coupled with some of the worst insurance and benefits I have ever seen. A complete joke. Also, you do not get vacation here. Yes, you read that right. You are given ZERO vacation days no matter how long you work here. They will tell you it is based on your billable hours or some other nonsense, but that is a flat out lie.

CULTURE: Without question, the most toxic I have ever been exposed to. Throwing people under the bus, back stabbing, Monday morning quarterbacking, and petty junior high school behavior is the only way to secure your future here. Again, this is what happens when your hiring model is so messed up (see above). Their turnover is through the roof (except for management) and they could not care less. People are fired arbitrarily every week with no reason provided to the worker or current employees. People have actually won quality or performance awards and were subsequently fired within the next few months with no explanation at all.

THE WORK: Gallup is convinced they are a “consulting firm”. They are not. They are a simple SURVEY RESEARCH firm! They could just as well call themselves “pilots” because they do about as much “consulting” as they do flying planes. Never once did I ever figure out what type of “consulting” they do. Furthermore, if you are hired as a “Client Development Consultant”, it is nothing more than a sales position. Again, no “consulting” whatsoever. You will have a sales goal, some phone numbers, and you start cold calling…..period.

This is a comical idea at Gallup, you question or challenge The Family or their friends, you’ll be fired inside of a week. However, here are some thoughts:

QUIT: Every one of you needs to step down and leave. Should you choose to stay, you need to publicly state how you sleep at night when you tell other companies how they should hire/train/promote/structure when your own company is such a mess. If your so called “science” is so great, why does it fail miserably at Gallup?

TALENT: “Talent” is not the same as intelligence. Once you remove intelligence from the equation, “talent” is completely useless. If you are going to use “talent” as a way to hire/promote The Family, fine….just be honest about that. If not, your entire human capital structure needs completely demolished and rebuilt from scratch.

COMPENSATION/BENEFITS: Even people incompetent as you should know better. Stop telling your employees you care about them so much when it clearly doesn’t show in any material way. Most employees are one accident/illness away from going bankrupt.

HUMAN RESOURCE DEPARTMENT: Without question the most useless group of individuals I have ever seen assembled in my life. You would literally be better off with no HR department at all than having your current setup.

GLASSDOOR: Stop having the same inept middle management post positive reviews on here. All of your current employees can tell who is doing it and you’re just embarrassing yourself.