Gallup

Updated November 21, 2014
2.9

Gallup Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Clifton
Jim Clifton

Pros
  • The flexible work schedule is great (in 20 reviews)

• You create your own hours each week, and it's an overall flexible and easy going work environment (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of work-life balance (every week is over 45 (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management needs to make smarter decisions (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

I Have No Idea How Gallup Stays in Business

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Gallup full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In my role I had a lot of freedom to work when and where I chose. This is not true though for most roles, and in many positions, particularly lower level analyst and administration positions, individuals complain about being over worked and underpaid.

Cons

Lets begin with the MACRO STRATEGY. Gallup's brand is associated with Survey Research and particularly the presidential poll, to the extent the company claims over 50% of America recognizes it as a survey firm. It's a powerful and potentially lucrative brand if the company actually focused on what they are known for. Instead the majority of revenues come from Human Resources "Consulting". I write "Consulting" because all it really seemed to amount to was grossly overcharging clients for customer or employee engagement polls and then having some underpaid inexperienced "consultant" give you common sense advice.

Now from a business sense I guess there would be nothing wrong with this if the company was prosperous. However revenues have been flat for years and the company is estimated to be worth less than many market/ survey research firms. Ever heard of Westat and National Research Corporation? Probably not but they are both estimated to be worth more than Gallup, Westat by almost three times.... It is important to note though that Gallup's failures in the 2012 election tarnished its name among the survey research and big data communities. So well maybe there is no good MACRO STRATEGY moving forward.

MANAGEMENT is terrible and filled with young, inexperienced and unintelligent family members or family cronies who have no idea how to manage people. One of Gallup's core tenants of its Human Resources Research is that management should get to know employees and take a personal interest in their lives. My boss made 500k+ a year and never once took me out to lunch or asked me how my family was. This is just one small example of how management stinks but in general they do not care about you unless you are part of the inner circle.

The CULTURE was absolutely terrible and fueled by FEAR and PETTINESS. Now this probably has a lot to do with Management being viewed as ruthless so people rat out co workers to save themselves. Nevertheless I think a lot of the cultural issues also come from the fact that Gallup is full of very type A people with LIMITED INTELLIGENCE, who cannot prioritize problems or issues and instead think every last thing is the end of the world.

TURNOVER happens at a horrifically shocking rate for a company that claims to have mastered the science of how to select talent and manage a workforce. There are very few wise sages to learn from. This leads to horrific knowledge management, poor work products, and mistakes which fuel the CULTURE OF FEAR AND PETTINESS described above.

Of course to continue the general theme of UTTER HYPOCRISY, Gallup's TALENT SELECTION is absolutely terrible. Instead of focusing on individuals with genuine passion for Human Resources and Survey Research they hire an endless revolving workforce of young B and C rate MBA's and grad students who quickly become fed up with the CULTURE OF FEAR AND PETTINESS, terrible pay and benefits, and non sensible MACRO STRATEGY and run off to new jobs. Hence the TURNOVER rolls on endlessly........

So I could go on and on but hopefully this gives you an idea of how Gallup is rotten to the core. I honestly have no idea how the place stays in business. It must be that 50% of the country still recognizes the name and this is a powerful thing even if Gallup is failing to take advantage of it. It will be interesting to see how long the brand can keep them afloat given that the next generation of the ruling family seems to be even dumber and more arrogant than those currently in charge.

You will never listen to any Management or Leadership Advice so instead I will appeal to your endless sense of greed. Sell the Company while the brand name is still valuable. If you wait for the next, even more out of touch generation of Gallup "leaders" to take the reins the company will collapse, taking most of your family fortune with it...

The. Worst. Company. Ever.

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Gallup full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is only one I can think of: A globally known and (somehow) respected brand. You tell people where you work at and everyone has heard on it.

Cons

Wow…..where to begin. Let’s break this down by categories maybe:

MANAGEMENT: This is entirely composed of The Family and their personal friends. How this company has stayed in business this long with their current leadership is beyond me. I assume it’s because the insanity of their high prices is only surpassed by their low wages. Well, unless your part of The Family. I have never seen nepotism so securely built into the foundation of a company as it is here. In my time at this place, there were several managers whom I still have NO IDEA what they actually did/do for a job.

PEOPLE: Gallup does not hire people based on intelligence, qualifications, education, transferable skills, or experience. Therefore, Gallup does not have employees that are intelligent, qualified, educated, skillful, or experienced. Gallup claims they hire based on “talent”. Now the company will give you some cute description on what “talent” is, but it’s really nothing more than a magical pixie dust unicorn “science” they arbitrarily apply to various people. When you are hired, you are not told what “talent” you have. You can never ask about your “talent”, and will never be told about your “talent”. From day one, you are supposed to follow the piper like lemmings without ever knowing if you can/will be promoted, or if you even have the “talent” for a different job. Surprisingly enough, every member of The Family (or their close personal friends) has the “talent” to instantly be hired or promoted into senior management positions that pay multiples of what anyone else makes.

COMPENSATION: Some, if not THE, lowest you will find in the market. The constant frustration with your horrific pay is also coupled with some of the worst insurance and benefits I have ever seen. A complete joke. Also, you do not get vacation here. Yes, you read that right. You are given ZERO vacation days no matter how long you work here. They will tell you it is based on your billable hours or some other nonsense, but that is a flat out lie.

CULTURE: Without question, the most toxic I have ever been exposed to. Throwing people under the bus, back stabbing, Monday morning quarterbacking, and petty junior high school behavior is the only way to secure your future here. Again, this is what happens when your hiring model is so messed up (see above). Their turnover is through the roof (except for management) and they could not care less. People are fired arbitrarily every week with no reason provided to the worker or current employees. People have actually won quality or performance awards and were subsequently fired within the next few months with no explanation at all.

THE WORK: Gallup is convinced they are a “consulting firm”. They are not. They are a simple SURVEY RESEARCH firm! They could just as well call themselves “pilots” because they do about as much “consulting” as they do flying planes. Never once did I ever figure out what type of “consulting” they do. Furthermore, if you are hired as a “Client Development Consultant”, it is nothing more than a sales position. Again, no “consulting” whatsoever. You will have a sales goal, some phone numbers, and you start cold calling…..period.

This is a comical idea at Gallup, you question or challenge The Family or their friends, you’ll be fired inside of a week. However, here are some thoughts:

QUIT: Every one of you needs to step down and leave. Should you choose to stay, you need to publicly state how you sleep at night when you tell other companies how they should hire/train/promote/structure when your own company is such a mess. If your so called “science” is so great, why does it fail miserably at Gallup?

TALENT: “Talent” is not the same as intelligence. Once you remove intelligence from the equation, “talent” is completely useless. If you are going to use “talent” as a way to hire/promote The Family, fine….just be honest about that. If not, your entire human capital structure needs completely demolished and rebuilt from scratch.

COMPENSATION/BENEFITS: Even people incompetent as you should know better. Stop telling your employees you care about them so much when it clearly doesn’t show in any material way. Most employees are one accident/illness away from going bankrupt.

HUMAN RESOURCE DEPARTMENT: Without question the most useless group of individuals I have ever seen assembled in my life. You would literally be better off with no HR department at all than having your current setup.

GLASSDOOR: Stop having the same inept middle management post positive reviews on here. All of your current employees can tell who is doing it and you’re just embarrassing yourself.

Gallup was a very nice company to work for.

I worked at Gallup full-time

Pros

The benefit of working for Gallup is they are flexible, understanding, and willing to help you succeed.

Cons

Working mostly evenings is a downside. Work is repetitive.

Offer more opportunities for advancement.

Pay more attention to who is running your company and how that filters down to shaping the culture

Former Employee - Anonymous in Asia (Colombia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Asia (Colombia)

I worked at Gallup full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The flexibility in working hours and location is definitely the biggest draw card here (provided you are lucky enough to work in an office or have a manager that does not micro-manage you and actually lives the values that make Gallup). The colleagues you will work with are dedicated and are willing to do what it takes to deliver and always available. You will make some great friends at Gallup, genuinely good people.

Cons

Management especially Senior Leadership external to America, there is zero accountability for poor decisions, mis-management and micro management that goes against the core values and culture that Gallup is known for and actively promotes. The politics are horrific particularly at the Senior Leadership level (again external to America), and is all in the vain of self preservation and not in the best interest or longevity of the organisation. Because of the political games at this level Management (GoTo's and Line Leads) are not courageous to speak out or against in fear of this "Leader".

Pay more attention to who is running and representing your organisation outside of America. Try and find a way to extract some true feedback from your Managers and general employees around the leadership, and not feedback that is tailored to what they think you will want to hear or what will keep them safe - and act on it, otherwise you will continue to lose great talent.

An OK company to work

I have been working at Gallup full-time

Pros

Great Culture and very helpful associates. Great learning place.

Cons

No career growth opportunities.

Consider that Career growth for associates

Interviewer for over a year; managemet and culture is great, and the work is decent after you've been there a month

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Gallup full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture, management, flexible hours, pay is all great. Take advantage of the guaranteed pay in the beginning. You can also do anything in between calls which is nice.

Cons

Sitting at a desk on the phone for the whole day. Job can be difficult or annoying at times.

Create more day-work if possible

Don't ever question family authority in any way, shape or form at Gallup

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Gallup full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most people genuinely strive to do a good job. In most roles, Gallup does a solid job of hiring well meaning, quality people. We spend a lot of money on nice offices (especially in Omaha) - while most employees feel this is done to drive engagement and well-being, it's really done to artificially impress upon clients that we're mighty and a big player in the industry. Shock and awe is really what the family is after. At least we get to enjoy the byproduct of this showiness. On the surface Gallup seems to sincerely care about being a recognition-rich culture. Awards are plentiful in most roles (again, especially in Omaha). However, after a moment of analysis, it becomes clear that the recipients of most awards are really recognized for being sugary sweet, completely loyal minions to the family. If not loyal minions, the other award winners tend to be those willing to sacrifice any notion of healthy work-life balance.

Cons

Gallup has an identify crisis. Family leadership in DC and especially in Omaha has proven to be incapable of articulating a solid vision for the company. This has been a constant complaint by the "tribe' and a troubling issue for about a decade. I was amused by a recent Gallup review that claimed the company "is a big name consulting company" in the industry. To offer an honest review, Gallup only plays with excellence in the minor leagues. Year-over-year leadership has tried, with middling success, to maneuver the company into the big leagues with the major consulting companies. This is an ego (arrogant) driven goal. Even if Gallup had thousands of consultants who could compete in the big leagues, as a whole the company will never play with the big boys because the leadership team is very insular and not terribly bright.

"Advice to management" is an oxymoron at Gallup. A recent reviewer, who offered a suspiciously fully positive review of the organization, literally (and ironically) stated, "It's not my place" to give advice to management." Seriously? If that statement wasn't so sad, it would be laugh-out-loud hilarious. Countless reviews (hundreds probably) have advised leadership to openly listen, solicit advice and embrace dissenting opinions. The hubris of family leadership has not allowed any of this to happen and sadly nothing suggests they'll ever adopt any of these behaviors. Be warned, don't ever question family authority in any way, shape or form at Gallup. Doing so will brand you as disloyal and negative, rather than progressive and engaged. Oh, and on a final note, I imagine the person who stated, "It's not my place" to give advice to management" will be our next MVP or Royal Star.

Too much variation of people, ranging from great to incredibly incompetent

Former Employee - Client Development Consultant in Bangkok (Thailand)
    Former Employee - Client Development Consultant in Bangkok (Thailand)

I worked at Gallup full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work hours, get to do things your own way.

Interesting tools and science. Very challenging

Cons

no training provided, you learn on your own. Gallup hired based on "talent" fit, however, i had doubt if the tool is really working. I mean talent-based is good but it's time to review your structured question.

If you are not passionate with HRD, training workshop and education for branch managers (Note: this statement only applied for Bangkok office), this is not the place for you.

Great name. Great Science Horrible Management and do not practice what they preach as an organization.

I worked at Gallup full-time

Pros

Great Science
    Cool coworkers
    Awesome Offices
    (At one point) Awesome list of clients but not a great number are leaving
    Great name recognition for those in the know
    And honestly, it was always awesome to open up a newspaper or article online with your company's name in it.

Cons

Management is not great
    There is barely any development
    You will get stuck in a role and not receive further development
    Raises are few and far in between
    Nepotism is rampant - either your GO-To (manager) likes you, or they don't. If they don't be prepared to not get good projects, raises, or exposure to interesting clients
    Strange place overall, with a lot of underlying fear from the workers.

Just remember to smile and nod!

Focus on employees and not on profits

Alternative consulting firm with strong research support

Former Employee - Consultant in Bangkok (Thailand)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Bangkok (Thailand)

I worked at Gallup full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great culture. Your colleagues are very friendly and the whole company seems to have this value of helping each other.

Cons

The concept of their philosophies and products seem to limit and contradict with their vision of the company's potential.