Gallup

Updated May 17, 2014
Updated May 17, 2014

Gallup Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Clifton
Jim Clifton

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule (time and location) (in 18 reviews)

• You create your own hours each week, and it's an overall flexible and easy going work environment (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • We give lip service to Wellbeing but no one cares about one's home-work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Senior management needs to make smarter decisions (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

30 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great culture, great people....need to get out of its own way.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

You are put in the game right away, and clients are many of the best run companies in the world. If you are ready to work very long, intense hours, you will be rewarded. Not the place to come if you want 45 hours a week on cruise control.

Cons

We have over complicated and over cooked too many of our offerings, that were once great because of their simplicity. We need to get back to the simple, but powerful solutions.

Momentum is starting to rebuild after a few off years. Stay the course, our arrogance in previous years towards small, but great clients wasn't cool.

Toxic and horrific workplace environment. Believe the other bad reviews.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

A few smart colleagues, and I mean few.

Cons

There is very little consulting that actually happens and it is all about pushing their measuring tools on to clients- like used car salesmen. Tools are outdated and have no value, yet Gallup charges overcharges clients for all the work they do. There is no development program nor do they encourage "well being." You will work 100 hours a week with horrible pay. Managers have no problems making threats and you live in a constantly fearful environment. Almost everyone I worked with was miserable, except for a few favorites who get away with anything and treat others horribly. Gallup sells tools for employee engagement, well being, and customer experience but they never utilize their own tools.I cannot say enough how terrible this place is to be at. If you are a smart person with a good degree, do not be fooled by the name. The family bought the Gallup name and does not live up to the legacy. Anyone who was ever good at Gallup left. And continues to do so. Run as fast as you can and apply somewhere else. You will be very glad you did. I promise.

None. Management doesn't care or listen and knowingly puts up false reviews of the company to mask the actual reviews. If I had to give advice I would say to stop putting up fake reviews of your company on this site.

It's definitely Heck on Earth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Get to meet some cool folks and have opportunities to meet awesome high profile folks

Cons

Management, management, management.
    Oh and ICE scores. I personally couldn't care less about your popularity tests, Gallup. I left high school many years ago.

Please...PLEASE learn how to manage! If you want excellent performance, try getting your employees to actually like you and want to respect you. If you're not BFFs with your "go-to" or a family member, please pack your bags!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disapponted. Gallup does not practice what they preach in any way, shape or form.

Former Employee - Engagement Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

There were some very bright and enjoyable people in the Gallup talent pool during the time I worked there as an Engagement Manager. I have heard that the Irvine, CA office is a good place to work.

Cons

Very few people stick at Gallup. Almost nobody from my Consocciates class still works at the company. The DC office is rife with bad politics. There are two sets of rules, one for favored, tenured employees and another for the rest of the world. Unfortunately, it isn't presented that way... more like you can chart your own career, be your best authentic self, succeed on your terms and work a flexible schedule. All of this is complete rubbish and will get you canned faster than you can say 'fired'. DC was like a revolving door with long term senior management and the rest of us, who were minions.

I don't believe that Gallup Senior Management cares what any employee has to say. Gallup preaches employee engagement, but they don't practice it. Please read your own publications and adhere to your own recommended best practices.

Treading water for last 10 years

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

Great people, smart consultants, high energy co-workers

Cons

Poor management, changes made without full implementation plan, long-term employees are leaving. Company has been stagnant in terms of growth for last 10 to 15 years. Clients leave and can barely be replaced with new ones.

Why bother, they won't listen.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Client Services  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Client Services in Washington, DC

Pros

* Great concepts
    * Positions itself well given its small size and limited scope of ability
    * People do really seem to care about the company and its success

Cons

* Complete disconnect between concepts and practice - so sad but true
    * Managers have no experience as managers or practitioners - they just happened to do well on a test and are suddenly put in charge of a large team of much more seasoned staff
    * Completely closed to feedback and criticism - if you indicate you are anything less than fully "engaged" or criticize in any way then look out
    * Salary is terrible and health insurance is nearly non-existent.

* Open your minds to the possibility that you don't know everything
    * Apply your own concepts - is the way you implement the science how you would advise clients to do so? I highly doubt it.
    * Listen to your employees - they have great insights into the business but will never tell you since they are afraid of getting fired.

An Insidious Place to Work

Former Employee - Client Service Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Client Service Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

The individuals who recognize the insidious culture of Gallup are wonderful. Not only do they have amazing judgment, but they are also hard workers and good people stuck in a bad situation. Some have become really good friends who I talk to on a daily basis.
    The flexible work schedule is great.

Cons

1. Management (particularly client service management): There are two types of management that are causing this issue: 1. senior client service management and 2. all other client service management.
    1. Senior Client Service Management: These individuals work on fear and fear alone. If you’re not the favorite, watch out because this will undoubtedly affect the types of projects you work on and ultimately your bonus/salary. The best test to see if you are one of the favorites is what I like to call the Q12 test, meaning, do you work on small Q12 employee engagement projects (which is mainly admin, or implementation as Gallup likes to call it, and data entry)? If you answered yes to this, then you are NOT a favorite. I suggest you quit immediately.
    2. All Other Client Service Managers: These individuals are highly inexperienced with three years at most of work experience and many have never worked in the field of the employees that they are currently managing. The majority have also only worked at Gallup which exacerbates their complete unquestionable devotion to a company that is clearly shooting itself in the foot. This unquestionable devotion is obviously one reason why these “managers,” or go-tos as Gallup likes to label them, were given the position. These individuals can be molded, they do not speak out, and they never stick up for their employees, unless said employee is a favorite (see below). In sum, these individuals are puppets. I suggest you smile at all times when in their presence, fill your emails to them with positive “!” and “:)” and most importantly, never trust them. They will betray you at every turn.
    2. Culture of Fear: If you are not smiling at all times, or your emails lack “!” or “:),” or your ‘attitude’ reflects anything other than absolute pure enjoyment to be at work that day, then you’re in trouble my friend. Management will quickly label you as “negative” and your career is effectively over at Gallup. Additionally, if you put anything less than 4 out of 5 on your biannual employee engagement surveys, then you should have your resignation ready to go. They say the survey is confidential, but unfortunately that is a massive lie and several people have been let go because they gave low scores.
    3. Favoritism: Every company has favoritism, but the disparity and inequality of both client projects and pay structure between those two groups is the largest I have ever experienced or heard of. The favorites are set up for success by being put on larger clients that are generally allocated more resources. This allows them to get high client satisfaction scores which affects their bonus and pay structure. Conversely, the non-favorites are placed on smaller clients, with minimal resources and little assistance that affect their bottom line. As a result, those who are favored keep rising, while all others see little movement.
    It should be noted that the favorites are not favorites because they have more experience and a greater skillset. The truth is that these individuals actually have a lower skillset and are the least talented in the company. The reason they are promoted is that they never question and do as they are told. This perpetuates the lack of innovation, not only within the company, but also with clients who are ultimately suffering the consequences of Gallup’s underhanded culture.
    4. Zero transparency: No company is completely transparent, but Gallup is in a class all its own, particularly given the current lawsuit brought on by the DOJ. On the outside they continue to tell their employees that the company is financially stable and even growing, but that is a lie. Every day you hear about a new client who quit, or another government project that was lost due to the lawsuit. There are even rumblings of a layoff, but you’d never know it with the all the money spent on renting out restaurants to celebrate one new client being brought onto the roster. We’ll see how long this one lasts.

1. Read “Breaking the Fear Barrier” by Tom Riegers and take some time to reflect on your actions as well as the actions of your peers in management positions. You should all have a copy as it was written by a Gallup executive… ironic, isn’t it?!
    Heck, while we are at it, just re read ALL of Gallup’s management books… and also maybe some other ones too. You guys need all the help you can get!
    2. Stop playing favorites and focus on promoting people based on their skills, talent and experience. You’ll have much happier employees and clients.
    3. Do not tell people what they want to hear when you are interviewing them. Instead, tell them exactly what to expect if they choose to work at Gallup. This lying creates a big issue with new hires and is also contributing to the high turnover.
    4. Stop perpetuating this immature, fake culture filled with rumors, lies and passive aggressive/negative comments said behind phony smiles and emails. Let your employees be themselves weather that be sad, happy, angry, annoyed, bored, busy, overwhelmed. All of these emotions are normal and shouldn’t be me shunned simply because you (management) are too immature, weak and small minded to deal with it!
    5. Do not immediately chastise an employee for making a mistake. I promise you’ll see much better results if your employees are not scared out of their minds that they will be fired for not filling out one form, or entering one data point, out of hundreds, incorrectly.
    6. Stop hiring people with master’s degrees to be consulting specialists. These people are too smart to be doing your data entry and admin work. Plus, from a business point of view, you could hire someone right out of undergrad for a lot cheaper than someone with 5+ years of experience and a master’s degree.
    7. To Potential Hires: I strongly encourage you to NOT accept an offer from this company. They are losing projects left and right, their management acts more like Regina George from Mean Girls, and their reputation is quickly declining. Go somewhere else. It is not worth it.
    8. To Current Employees: Please get out soon. You are better than this and deserve more. Your former colleagues are more than happy to help you get out so feel free to contact us.

Don't, Just don't...

Former Employee - Advanced Design and Analytics  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Advanced Design and Analytics in Washington, DC

Pros

Gallup has some of the best and smartest people you will ever meet..
    Great work parties

Cons

Gallup is a dire place to work.. Dire. They routinely promise new employees the moon and then deliver 2,400 hours a year of creating power point decks. Want to do the job they promised you? Just wait a few months... and then a few more...and then what was it they promised you again? And how can they give you better assignments when you have such a bad attitude as to ask for better assignments? Before I resigned I would have told you I knew maybe 10 people who were really happy at Gallup. When I announced my resignation five of those people told me they were also looking for a job. People are exhausted, terribly unhappy, and afraid they will be fired if they speak openly, or take time off for oh, like Christmas. I have never started a job with such enthusiasm and ended with such disappointment.

Read your own books and follow your own advice. Listen to your employees instead of terrorizing them.

Don't do it to yourself!

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

Friendly colleagues
    Great books written about how the firm is SUPPOSED to be run give offer a great guiding mission

Cons

HEMORRAHAGING their BEST talent
    Little to NO transferrable skills - especially now that best and most experienced talent is gone
    Stingy and predatory compensation schemes
    Poor execution of projects
    Lack of accountability
    Intolerance for constructive criticism
    Brain, experience and talent drain
    Preaching and practicing out of alignment
    Inexperienced and incompetent management at multiple levels
    Nepotism
    "Fluffy" and often whimsical assertions touted as facts

Replace yourselves immediately. You are hemorrhaging talent due to your own mistakes, mismanagement and missteps!!!

Growing pains

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

great coworkers, great to be a part of something that did something bigger than just me.

Cons

nepotism rampant through management, my job was created as the company grew and in a year i never had clear work guidelines, set up to fail

Worked for Gallup? Contribute to the Community!