Gallup Reviews

Reset
2.9
Gallup Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Clifton
Jim Clifton

Pros
  • Very flexible work schedule & personal development (in 20 reviews)

• You create your own hours each week, and it's an overall flexible and easy going work environment (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of work-life balance (every week is over 45 (in 9 reviews)

• to instantly be hired or promoted into senior management positions that pay multiples of what anyone else makes (in 14 reviews)

1. Project Manager

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Washington, DC
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Washington, DC

I worked at Gallup as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Very smart people and all were dynamic and innovative. The pay was good and the way they were trying to connect their people is smart too.

Cons

Little to no way to advance in this company without being one of the “royal” family, or you know someone “royal”.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing in order to strengthening the emotional and link between your employees and Gallup. Try to kill the vibe of “this is a family business”

Disappointing

Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Gallup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nobody seems to work much on Fridays, flexible working schedules.

Cons

Not much career advancement opportunity. Poor team environment. People that throw others under the bus are rewarded.

Advice to Management

created an engaged workplace.

Excellent products, company culture, and employees.

Current Employee - Client Development Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Client Development Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Gallup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Everyone works together towards the same goal. Practices what they preach regarding employee engagement. - Stellar hiring process. - Great benefits. - Charismatic CEO & Go-Tos. - State of the line office space & facilities. - World class products and services.

Cons

None that I have witnessed. Everything is streamlined and working well. No cons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Toxic environment. Do yourself a favor and stay far away!

Current Employee - Client Service Advance Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Client Service Advance Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Gallup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The D.C. city center had some great people. They are dedicated and want to do excellent work and drive impact.

Cons

You "Go-Tos" (managers) are terrible (particularly in Client Services). Fear & Firing are the only things they know. It might help if they'd actually read some of the management books Gallup publishes. Forget about development, communication; it's laughably nonexistent. Their absurdly high rates are matched only by their paltry pay & mediocre benefits. I promise - you will be sorry if you choose to work here.

Advice to Management

You need professional managers. Just because someone has been there for 15-20 years does not mean that they can lead. And if you have a business division that is woefully underperforming (like your Government Division for the past several years) try shaking things up by replacing the root cause of the problem (terrible Go-Tos), not firing individual contributors who aren't drinking buddies or sex pots for "management".

The. Worst. Company. Ever.

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Gallup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is only one I can think of: A globally known and (somehow) respected brand. You tell people where you work at and everyone has heard on it.

Cons

Wow…..where to begin. Let’s break this down by categories maybe: MANAGEMENT: This is entirely composed of The Family and their personal friends. How this company has stayed in business this long with their current leadership is beyond me. I assume it’s because the insanity of their high prices is only surpassed by their low wages. Well, unless your part of The Family. I have never seen nepotism so securely built into the foundation of a company as it is here. In my time at this place, there were several managers whom I still have NO IDEA what they actually did/do for a job. PEOPLE: Gallup does not hire people based on intelligence, qualifications, education, transferable skills, or experience. Therefore, Gallup does not have employees that are intelligent, qualified, educated, skillful, or experienced. Gallup claims they hire based on “talent”. Now the company will give you some cute description on what “talent” is, but it’s really nothing more than a magical pixie dust unicorn “science” they arbitrarily apply to various people. When you are hired, you are not told what “talent” you have. You can never ask about your “talent”, and will never be told about your “talent”. From day one, you are supposed to follow the piper like lemmings without ever knowing if you can/will be promoted, or if you even have the “talent” for a different job. Surprisingly enough, every member of The Family (or their close personal friends) has the “talent” to instantly be hired or promoted into senior management positions that pay multiples of what anyone else makes. COMPENSATION: Some, if not THE, lowest you will find in the market. The constant frustration with your horrific pay is also coupled with some of the worst insurance and benefits I have ever seen. A complete joke. Also, you do not get vacation here. Yes, you read that right. You are given ZERO vacation days no matter how long you work here. They will tell you it is based on your billable hours or some other nonsense, but that is a flat out lie. CULTURE: Without question, the most toxic I have ever been exposed to. Throwing people under the bus, back stabbing, Monday morning quarterbacking, and petty junior high school behavior is the only way to secure your future here. Again, this is what happens when your hiring model is so messed up (see above). Their turnover is through the roof (except for management) and they could not care less. People are fired arbitrarily every week with no reason provided to the worker or current employees. People have actually won quality or performance awards and were subsequently fired within the next few months with no explanation at all. THE WORK: Gallup is convinced they are a “consulting firm”. They are not. They are a simple SURVEY RESEARCH firm! They could just as well call themselves “pilots” because they do about as much “consulting” as they do flying planes. Never once did I ever figure out what type of “consulting” they do. Furthermore, if you are hired as a “Client Development Consultant”, it is nothing more than a sales position. Again, no “consulting” whatsoever. You will have a sales goal, some phone numbers, and you start cold calling…..period.

Advice to Management

This is a comical idea at Gallup, you question or challenge The Family or their friends, you’ll be fired inside of a week. However, here are some thoughts: QUIT: Every one of you needs to step down and leave. Should you choose to stay, you need to publicly state how you sleep at night when you tell other companies how they should hire/train/promote/structure when your own company is such a mess. If your so called “science” is so great, why does it fail miserably at Gallup? TALENT: “Talent” is not the same as intelligence. Once you remove intelligence from the equation, “talent” is completely useless. If you are going to use “talent” as a way to hire/promote The Family, fine….just be honest about that. If not, your entire human capital structure needs completely demolished and rebuilt from scratch. COMPENSATION/BENEFITS: Even people incompetent as you should know better. Stop telling your employees you care about them so much when it clearly doesn’t show in any material way. Most employees are one accident/illness away from going bankrupt. HUMAN RESOURCE DEPARTMENT: Without question the most useless group of individuals I have ever seen assembled in my life. You would literally be better off with no HR department at all than having your current setup. GLASSDOOR: Stop having the same inept middle management post positive reviews on here. All of your current employees can tell who is doing it and you’re just embarrassing yourself.

Toxic and horrific workplace environment. Believe the other bad reviews.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Gallup full-time

Pros

A few smart colleagues, and I mean few.

Cons

There is very little consulting that actually happens and it is all about pushing their measuring tools on to clients- like used car salesmen. Tools are outdated and have no value, yet Gallup charges overcharges clients for all the work they do. There is no development program nor do they encourage "well being." You will work 100 hours a week with horrible pay. Managers have no problems making threats and you live in a constantly fearful environment. Almost everyone I worked with was miserable, except for a few favorites who get away with anything and treat others horribly. Gallup sells tools for employee engagement, well being, and customer experience but they never utilize their own tools.I cannot say enough how terrible this place is to be at. If you are a smart person with a good degree, do not be fooled by the name. The family bought the Gallup name and does not live up to the legacy. Anyone who was ever good at Gallup left. And continues to do so. Run as fast as you can and apply somewhere else. You will be very glad you did. I promise.

Advice to Management

None. Management doesn't care or listen and knowingly puts up false reviews of the company to mask the actual reviews. If I had to give advice I would say to stop putting up fake reviews of your company on this site.

Great culture, great people....need to get out of its own way.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Gallup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You are put in the game right away, and clients are many of the best run companies in the world. If you are ready to work very long, intense hours, you will be rewarded. Not the place to come if you want 45 hours a week on cruise control.

Cons

We have over complicated and over cooked too many of our offerings, that were once great because of their simplicity. We need to get back to the simple, but powerful solutions.

Advice to Management

Momentum is starting to rebuild after a few off years. Stay the course, our arrogance in previous years towards small, but great clients wasn't cool.

It's definitely Heck on Earth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Gallup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to meet some cool folks and have opportunities to meet awesome high profile folks

Cons

Management, management, management. Oh and ICE scores. I personally couldn't care less about your popularity tests, Gallup. I left high school many years ago.

Advice to Management

Please...PLEASE learn how to manage! If you want excellent performance, try getting your employees to actually like you and want to respect you. If you're not BFFs with your "go-to" or a family member, please pack your bags!

Disapponted. Gallup does not practice what they preach in any way, shape or form.

Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Gallup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were some very bright and enjoyable people in the Gallup talent pool during the time I worked there as an Engagement Manager. I have heard that the Irvine, CA office is a good place to work.

Cons

Very few people stick at Gallup. Almost nobody from my Consocciates class still works at the company. The DC office is rife with bad politics. There are two sets of rules, one for favored, tenured employees and another for the rest of the world. Unfortunately, it isn't presented that way... more like you can chart your own career, be your best authentic self, succeed on your terms and work a flexible schedule. All of this is complete rubbish and will get you canned faster than you can say 'fired'. DC was like a revolving door with long term senior management and the rest of us, who were minions.

Advice to Management

I don't believe that Gallup Senior Management cares what any employee has to say. Gallup preaches employee engagement, but they don't practice it. Please read your own publications and adhere to your own recommended best practices.

Treading water for last 10 years

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Gallup full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, smart consultants, high energy co-workers

Cons

Poor management, changes made without full implementation plan, long-term employees are leaving. Company has been stagnant in terms of growth for last 10 to 15 years. Clients leave and can barely be replaced with new ones.

Advice to Management

Why bother, they won't listen.

RSS Feed </> Embed