Galt Joint Union High School District

Updated October 21, 2014
Updated October 21, 2014
2.0

CEO

Considering a job with GJUSD?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Galt, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Galt, CA

I worked at Galt Joint Union High School District

Pros

good facilities and capable colleagues; pay schedule competitive with surrounding districts

Cons

Factions within the community and school board have contributed to a high turnover in administrators, unequal funding of programs, and consequent low morale among staff.

Not every voter understands what it takes to help all students achieve academic success.

New Teacher Looking For Security? Forget Galt High

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Galt, CA

I have been working at Galt Joint Union High School District full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Teachers who care about students as individuals and take time to help. Very Good Site Principals (at least at 2 of the 3 sites) willing to take risks to get things done. Teachers are generally interested in improving their practice and open to change such as those that come with adopting CCSS and NGSS.

Cons

Uninformed school board with narrow interests. Extremely poor health benefits with no change in district contribution for 10 (yes that's TEN) years. I have recently been informed that there will be no medical plan that's available to me that covers my children attending college in other counties in California. It was suggested they time their medical needs with visits home. Also told that 'maybe' something can be done for employees like me .'next year'.
    Revolving door Superintendents but incumbent board members who have seen 3 since the last election insisting they are doing a 'good job'. Oh yes, the same board members receive very excellent health benefits.

Think about attracting and retaining good employees by offering something more than an insulting and inadequate health benefits package. Use some of the obscene amounts of cash you have in reserve before you are forced to by upcoming changes in the law regarding district reserve balances. Go ahead-you'll feel better doing the right thing for once.

Galt High School District for Family Values

I have been working at Galt Joint Union High School District

Pros

The high school district cares about the students, aims to be fair, and encourages continuing professional development. The school district also respects cultural differences.

Cons

The parents in the community are very involved and have stronger influence than they should, perhaps because of the small size of the city. They put a lot of pressure on the teachers and influential parents impact the success of other students.

Trust the teachers more. The parents are important, and their role in education can be very helpful; however, oftentimes the parents who speak up have little or no knowledge in the subject field they are complaining about, yet they have greater voice than the college-educated faculty.