GameFly

Updated Apr 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dave Hodess

Unsure of its next step.

ProsExcellent work/life balance and time off policies. Great atmosphere, warm welcome to new employees. Extremely nice people to work with.

ConsLack of accountability on some levels, unable to unify goals and optimize efforts. Indifferent outlook on long term goals. Deficient in vision and motivation.

Different

Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee)
    Lakewood, CA

ProsWork hours and job was a daily routine

Consno room for advancement or promotions

Advice to Senior Managementpay attention to employee complaints

Fun atmosphere, good people, company on its way out.

QA Analyst (Former Employee)
    Culver City, CA

ProsFantastically relaxing atmosphere. Very low stress and a ton of things to do at work to take your mind off of work, IE game room with fully stocked video games. Free gamefly account for every employee so you can get any game you want.

ConsCompany was struggling and so there was some failure related tension in the air. Many people were let go when I left and it made the overall morale pretty low.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, boring job.

Warehouse Associate (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsGood Health Insurance
    Free Game Rental Service

ConsRepetitive Work
    Some Management Issues
    Limited Growth Potential

Great colleagues but disappointing company.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

Pros- I met great people that I love to this day.
    - Variety of channels used to respond to customers (Phone, E-mail, Chat).
    - Free GameFly account.
    - Small customer service team. It provided a sense of camaraderie.

Cons- Working on weekends and overtime around holidays.
    - Pay was mediocre for the industry, but the amount of my raise after a year felt insulting.
    - Some reps valued speed more than quality and the metrics only reinforced this attitude.
    - A lot of reliance on your specific Lead's philosophy of how to handle certain issues.
    - It seems as if the upper management was more worried about advertising than investing in the company's infrastructure.
    - No room to move up without someone leaving the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in operations. Slow shipping or lost games were the complaints faced on nearly every call, so perhaps those things should be addressed. More shipping sites might help and tracking might be a huge help. A lot of reps kept quiet because we had to assume that tracking must cost more than the amount of games lost or stolen.

Disappointing

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

ProsFree GameFly account
    Friendly co-workers
    Some scheduling flexibility (based on need)
    Good healthcare package

ConsLow pay: Starting pay was about what you would expect for a contract worker, but not in line with permanent employment at other companies.

Few opportunities for advancement: Regardless of how much work you do and how well you do it, you may be held back based on very arbitrary reasons. Management may even start training you in a leadership position and then stop training you without explanation.

High turnover: Within 1 year of my starting employment at the company, almost the entire leadership team within the customer service department left the company. It's also extremely common to see only one person stay from a group of 3 or 4 new hires.

Increased workloads without increased benefits: As stated previously, you may give it your all and still not see any advancement. This also applies to things like raises. Unless your job title changes, you are extremely unlikely to see a raise. If you participate in the technical support team, you will be trained for two jobs, paid for one, and expected to switch between them at moment's notice on someone's whim.

Poor structure: Training was haphazard at best, and the department is actually split into two halves, one of which doesn't actually have a structured training at all. There's also very little provided in the way of knowing WHAT you're actually supposed to be supporting. Sometimes you will be asked to handle situations and issues that you've been explicitly told by someone else not to handle. There are few, if any, resources provided after initial training, and responses to specific situations are often based on how whatever lead you ask feels the situation should be handled. There are also some pretty outdated policies and procedures, and a general resistance to updating them. Suggestions for improving efficiency were typically ignored.

High metrics substituting for correct staffing: Because of the high turnover, we were almost constantly understaffed. When metrics weren't being hit, new management's response was an increase in monitoring. Prior to that, the stated goal was and the goal that leads actually expected staff to hit were not in alignment at all. Although the quantity of cases handled increased dramatically, quality generally suffered. During this period of increased monitoring, there was also regularly mandatory overtime in effect.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince management has changed recently, I'd say keep the cons in mind. It's been about a month since I left the company and I sincerely hope that things are improving.

Avoid - Avoid at all costs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood office location, free subscription to GameFly service, security guards are nice

ConsStultifying office environment, lack proper investment to deliver on new services, in maintenance mode

Advice to Senior ManagementSell while you can

Just a job to pay the bills (barely)

Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

Pros- Free GameFly rental account
    - Got out of work at 4:45 pm
    - Frequent breaks
    - Able to check out games before they're released to the public
    - Decent healthcare coverage

Cons- Pay was average for the job type, which means it sucked in general
    - No room for advancement past a few $0.50/hr raises
    - Work on Saturdays
    - Extremely boring manual work (filling envelopes, printing shipping labels)

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to make the work environment more tolerable for such a boring, repetitive job. Have more company events and parties.

Excellent

Prosvery diversified and some really smart people at work

Consmonotonous at times but get to learn a lot

Worked for GameFly? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GameFly reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GameFly CEO Dave Hodess. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by GameFly employees.