GameStop Reviews in Chicago, IL

2.8
1,363 Reviews

GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines
J. Paul Raines

Pros
  • We know what to recommend because every single one of us plays a lot of video games (in 210 reviews)

• Simple repetitive tasks and the ability to check out games for a short time (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you're upper management you will only get 4-10 hours a week at best (in 123 reviews)

• Work / Life balance is not important, only delivery of moving targets (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Retail in general kinda sucks, as far as jobs go GameStop is more about educating customers and promoting higher margin sales than anything else. Not bad, not God's gift to careers either.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Video games are fun, pure and simple. Way more fun than selling t-shirts or car parts. If you know the discounts offered and understand the promotions, there are really legit and great deals to get your favorite things for very low prices.

Cons

Due to overly priced Used items, and low buy back values for years, GameStop's customer base has a very strong distrust for the company in general, so trying to turn that around is a burden. The employees shouldn't have to make apologies for the company they work for nearly as often as this one. Also store managers are notoriously over worked without overtime with the average week consisting of no fewer than 47 hours worked on a 40hr a week salary. Usually the weeks between Nov. and Dec. result in 55hr work weeks. Midnight releases equate to working very off hours. One day will be first shift, 2nd shift, or working until 2am. There is no regularity. Compensation of receiving free venders gifts will only tide you over in a child's mind for so long...

There is no world where this career path will lead to a comfortable and enjoyable work/life balance. The product is fun. Please enjoy video games, but this company treats most staff as very replaceable due to the fact that everyone desires the job so much. It's really just another retail job...

Great Place

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GameStop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Game knowledge, store discount, and 1st glance before any one else

Cons

retail hours, and upselling is required

Great manager!

Worth it in the Short Term, But Not for the Long Run

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at GameStop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can check out games
    Atmosphere can be good
    Coworkers can become friends

Cons

Values sales over employees
    Growth within company near impossible
    Available hours are a joke

Advice to upper management? Stop pressuring your employees into getting reserves and powerup members. No one and I mean no one likes doing that. It's a waste of time by trying to get customers to concede to it and they don't like it either. We see it as a money grubbing tactic anyway. If you truly want to get a customer's attention on it, have pamphlets instead of word of mouth and commercials on GameStop TV dedicated to it instead of ads for tv shows and movies constantly repeating. It's not like GameStop is in the red of finances to be forcing their employees to be doing these types of sales, while practically blackmailing them to do so so they get more hours.

It would also help that you take experience into consideration when it comes to management of the store. Sure, sales are important, but so is experience. I'm not just talking about within GameStop, but if a person has retail experience that expands years. They shouldn't be stuck at the Game Advisor level for years. They can do so much more for the company when in a position that could help the business flourish. They should at least get an advancement to Senior Game Advisor where they can get at least 20 hours a week.

The hours are another thing. Stop labeling hours per the position of employees in the store. I was a Game Advisor for three years with many years of retail experience under my belt prior to GameStop and I was good at my job. The average amount of hours I got per week was laughable and downright insulting for someone of my experience and skill. Four to eight hours doesn't cut it when I have bills to pay. I only stuck around because I was promised a promotion in my second year which never happened. Instead, it went to someone who barely knew a thing about video games, but was apparently very good at getting reserves and powerup members. That to me was unacceptable. Then again that is how GameStop works. Sales > Employees

Total disregard of their employees

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Schererville, IN
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Schererville, IN

I worked at GameStop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can work around video games and freely talk about tech and nerdy things. Occasional free promotions and preorder items. Employee discount.

Cons

Not many hours, bad pay, the job is all about your numbers/sales and nothing else, really crappy upper management. Upper management decided to shut down our store location and gave us FOUR DAYS NOTICE that we'd all be losing our jobs and that there were no open positions in our district to transfer to.

Treat your employees like people, not numbers. If you want us to give you a two week notice before we quit, give us more than FOUR DAYS notice before you decide to shut down a store location.

Awful company model, awful management

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Broadview, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Broadview, IL

I worked at GameStop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good discount and benefit (Able to borrow games from the store if you want to try before buying)

Cons

For the most part it's a horrid company to work for, they overhire and then do not give the store enough hours to be properly staffed. There were many times where they wanted the store in top condition for a DM visit or what have you but only ONE person would be working the last several hours of the day, making it impossible to balance inventory tasks, customer service, and maintenance. Your employment is held hostage for pushing pre-orders and membership cards which more often than not will just aggravate the customer, they expect you to work like you're on commission without the commission pay.

One time during this recent bad winter (It was about -20 outside) I came to open the store and found the heat was broken, I was not permitted to close the store and we are not allowed to wear coats for loss prevention reasons. My co-workers and I were forced to work in a store that felt like an icebox for an entire day, and that's only one of the horror stories.

Another time a system was traded in that we later found was infested with bed bugs, the management would NOT call an exterminator until myself and several other employees threatened to not come in. They are so penny pinching they would risk our own homes becoming infested.

Either start paying commission or get rid of the pushy sales model, start treating employees like people and get smarter about the number of people you hire.

Fun

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, supportive team. When it comes to your schedule, (as long as you inform and have a good reason for time off etc) the days you work can vary. Discount is 15%, and can be used with coupons.

Cons

The people employed there seem to not have a good idea or good training in HR issues. Discord seems to be a big part of the atmosphere.

There needs to be more training of employees when it comes to boundaries, sexual harassment, and other HR issues.

Could be awesome, could be terrible

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Gurnee, IL
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Gurnee, IL

I worked at GameStop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Game discounts, get to talk about videogames all day, relaxed work environment

Cons

If you are a woman, expect to get on. I always had co-workers walk me to my car

Do not let subordinates get into situations where customers are giving your workers unwanted attention. Step in

SGA

Current Employee - SGA in Oak Lawn, IL
    Current Employee - SGA in Oak Lawn, IL

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Selling video games and talking to costomers

Cons

Last one to get a copy of a big game.

Respect and give credit when credit is do,

Probably one of the worst retailers to work for.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with people who are passionate about gaming and like to share their passion with the customer, giving them the right and truthful information to give the best retail experience to the customer.

Cons

Being forced by management to promote sales of games and subscriptions down the throat of the customer.

Better care of employees: better benefits, pay, time off, promotions.

Awesome!

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Cicero, IL
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Cicero, IL

I have been working at GameStop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome manager and crew. Great place to work. Easy to catch on. I absolutely loved working there and I wish I could go back sometimes but my schedule does not allow it.

Cons

I would list some if I could think of any

You need to improve your training for seasonal employees!