GameStop

2.9
1,439 Reviews

GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines
J. Paul Raines

Pros
  • We know what to recommend because every single one of us plays a lot of video games (in 221 reviews)

• I did check out games for research and give feedback based off my personal experience (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you're upper management you will only get 4-10 hours a week at best (in 128 reviews)

• Work / Life balance is not important, only delivery of moving targets (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

29 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It's a descent job to start out with when you're sixteen or seventeen but after that I would move on to something else.

Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GameStop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some pros are if you enjoy video games, then it's a game way to meet people with the Assamese interest and you get a little bit of a discount.

Cons

Some cons are not very good pay but it's a great first job to see experience what the working world is like.

A little vp it higher pay would be nice.

Solid experience for retail. Poor communication from upper management

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Berwyn, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Berwyn, IL

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great starter experience especially if you're big on customer satisfaction and VIDEO GAMES! Its easy to relate to customers interests and building loyal customer base is simple.

When its good, its great.

Cons

Poor communication from upper management downward. Corporate dictates standards and becomes like playing telephone once it gets to store level. There is no room for customizing the experience for your store's customer base. This sometimes results in low sales, which directly influences reviews and raises for Management. Meaning management has no control over their setup while still being penalized by low result.

High sales expectation with zero reward.. You HAVE to be able to sell pre-orders and subscriptions while focusing on used games which are a better value with the membership. Contradictory practice leads to either better New Pre Order OR PreOwned sales, for which the lower performance on the other is punished.

Upward mobility goes only to people with no opinion on the advancement of the company, generally upper management have never worked in retail let alone GameStop. Employees are encouraged to take initiative and voice opinions while showing how original ideas work in their store, but are met with "This is how corporate wants it. Change it back"

Often saw the most effective and successful leaders terminated for questionable reasons (Someone working for the company for 6-7 years and bumping their stores from the bottom of the district to the top of the region getting fired for selling a rated M game without checking ID for someone clearly old enough) My guess is they we cutting costs but getting rid of people who improved every store they took over seems foolish and isn't even run past higher management.

Customer is always right. You have to balance this with policy. Unfortunately, a customer complaint, even an unfounded and unreasonable one, immediately results to fulfilling the customers request. More contradiction as I'd check ALL customer IDs for rated M material, but if a customer complained that they were obviously old enough, I would get "coached" for customer issue, though, as mentioned before, the same slide on the same customer can be used as grounds for immediate termination.

Upper Management should go down the totem pole to check how subordinated react to their leadership. As ASM, my DM never asked about my new Store Manager, who was a poor leader going through major life issues and clearly wasn't prepared for a Store of their own.

Make DMs work in "low performance" stores for a week or two to see if/how their solutions work.

Corporate visits should be looking for original innovation. DMs would show up to stage a store for visits and make sure everything was 100% to standard. Meaning if a store was doing well with an custom setup, it would look to them like the standard was what was drawing performance instead of whatever the store was doing differently

Retail in general kinda sucks, as far as jobs go GameStop is more about educating customers and promoting higher margin sales than anything else. Not bad, not God's gift to careers either.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Video games are fun, pure and simple. Way more fun than selling t-shirts or car parts. If you know the discounts offered and understand the promotions, there are really legit and great deals to get your favorite things for very low prices.

Cons

Due to overly priced Used items, and low buy back values for years, GameStop's customer base has a very strong distrust for the company in general, so trying to turn that around is a burden. The employees shouldn't have to make apologies for the company they work for nearly as often as this one. Also store managers are notoriously over worked without overtime with the average week consisting of no fewer than 47 hours worked on a 40hr a week salary. Usually the weeks between Nov. and Dec. result in 55hr work weeks. Midnight releases equate to working very off hours. One day will be first shift, 2nd shift, or working until 2am. There is no regularity. Compensation of receiving free venders gifts will only tide you over in a child's mind for so long...

There is no world where this career path will lead to a comfortable and enjoyable work/life balance. The product is fun. Please enjoy video games, but this company treats most staff as very replaceable due to the fact that everyone desires the job so much. It's really just another retail job...

Disappointing let down

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best part of working here is the ability (and need!) to keep up with the gaming industry. Playing games and talking to gamers, what's not to love?!

Cons

Management past the store level was unyielding and extremely unhelpful, if you run into any kind of problems getting District and higher management involved will cause much more harm than help.

Get in the stores, see what happens and support your people!

Great Place

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GameStop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Game knowledge, store discount, and 1st glance before any one else

Cons

retail hours, and upselling is required

Great manager!

Worth it in the Short Term, But Not for the Long Run

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at GameStop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can check out games
    Atmosphere can be good
    Coworkers can become friends

Cons

Values sales over employees
    Growth within company near impossible
    Available hours are a joke

Advice to upper management? Stop pressuring your employees into getting reserves and powerup members. No one and I mean no one likes doing that. It's a waste of time by trying to get customers to concede to it and they don't like it either. We see it as a money grubbing tactic anyway. If you truly want to get a customer's attention on it, have pamphlets instead of word of mouth and commercials on GameStop TV dedicated to it instead of ads for tv shows and movies constantly repeating. It's not like GameStop is in the red of finances to be forcing their employees to be doing these types of sales, while practically blackmailing them to do so so they get more hours.

It would also help that you take experience into consideration when it comes to management of the store. Sure, sales are important, but so is experience. I'm not just talking about within GameStop, but if a person has retail experience that expands years. They shouldn't be stuck at the Game Advisor level for years. They can do so much more for the company when in a position that could help the business flourish. They should at least get an advancement to Senior Game Advisor where they can get at least 20 hours a week.

The hours are another thing. Stop labeling hours per the position of employees in the store. I was a Game Advisor for three years with many years of retail experience under my belt prior to GameStop and I was good at my job. The average amount of hours I got per week was laughable and downright insulting for someone of my experience and skill. Four to eight hours doesn't cut it when I have bills to pay. I only stuck around because I was promised a promotion in my second year which never happened. Instead, it went to someone who barely knew a thing about video games, but was apparently very good at getting reserves and powerup members. That to me was unacceptable. Then again that is how GameStop works. Sales > Employees

Total disregard of their employees

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Schererville, IN
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Schererville, IN

I worked at GameStop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can work around video games and freely talk about tech and nerdy things. Occasional free promotions and preorder items. Employee discount.

Cons

Not many hours, bad pay, the job is all about your numbers/sales and nothing else, really crappy upper management. Upper management decided to shut down our store location and gave us FOUR DAYS NOTICE that we'd all be losing our jobs and that there were no open positions in our district to transfer to.

Treat your employees like people, not numbers. If you want us to give you a two week notice before we quit, give us more than FOUR DAYS notice before you decide to shut down a store location.

Fun

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, supportive team. When it comes to your schedule, (as long as you inform and have a good reason for time off etc) the days you work can vary. Discount is 15%, and can be used with coupons.

Cons

The people employed there seem to not have a good idea or good training in HR issues. Discord seems to be a big part of the atmosphere.

There needs to be more training of employees when it comes to boundaries, sexual harassment, and other HR issues.

Could be awesome, could be terrible

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Gurnee, IL
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Gurnee, IL

I worked at GameStop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Game discounts, get to talk about videogames all day, relaxed work environment

Cons

If you are a woman, expect to get on. I always had co-workers walk me to my car

Do not let subordinates get into situations where customers are giving your workers unwanted attention. Step in

Awful company model, awful management

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Broadview, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Broadview, IL

I worked at GameStop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good discount and benefit (Able to borrow games from the store if you want to try before buying)

Cons

For the most part it's a horrid company to work for, they overhire and then do not give the store enough hours to be properly staffed. There were many times where they wanted the store in top condition for a DM visit or what have you but only ONE person would be working the last several hours of the day, making it impossible to balance inventory tasks, customer service, and maintenance. Your employment is held hostage for pushing pre-orders and membership cards which more often than not will just aggravate the customer, they expect you to work like you're on commission without the commission pay.

One time during this recent bad winter (It was about -20 outside) I came to open the store and found the heat was broken, I was not permitted to close the store and we are not allowed to wear coats for loss prevention reasons. My co-workers and I were forced to work in a store that felt like an icebox for an entire day, and that's only one of the horror stories.

Another time a system was traded in that we later found was infested with bed bugs, the management would NOT call an exterminator until myself and several other employees threatened to not come in. They are so penny pinching they would risk our own homes becoming infested.

Either start paying commission or get rid of the pushy sales model, start treating employees like people and get smarter about the number of people you hire.