GameStop

2.7 1,201 reviews

GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines

J. Paul Raines

1,201 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "The main benefit of working at Gamestop is because you love video games"
    in 185 reviews
  • "You get a discount on purchases, and you can check out games for four days"
    in 42 reviews
Cons:
  • "Unless you're upper management you will only get 4-10 hours a week at best"
    in 98 reviews
  • "You get paid just above minimum wage with the responsibility of a store manager"
    in 73 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Okay for Part-Time/Secondary Work

Game Advisor (Former Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

Pros-Easy work
    -Know about all the new releases.deals
    -get to chat with people about video games

Cons-Having a quota for rewards car sign ups and pre-orders sucks.
    -Penalized if someone cancels a preorder even if you didn't make it originally
    -management can be very harsh
    -Customer Survey's below a perfect are heavily penalized

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone looking for a career or to get into the video game industry. I enjoyed working there but only because I worked like twice a month and my SGA didn't give me quota's.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just penalize us for less then a 9 on the survey, tell us where and where and maybe offer tips on how to improve. Customers would often say they were scoring me lower on my survey because I was pushy about pre-orders or sign ups. Management can't have it both ways.

Good Stepping Stone

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe lack of consistency in talent means that there is room for growth for those who are hard-working and talented. Easy to make considerable impact with a basic understanding of how to train and utilize human resources and to plan longitudinal profit growth. Sales skills and organization of time and space are a must.

ConsLots of tasks related to counting and organizing stock due to the volatile inventory structure of a Buy, Sell, Trade model. Upper and middle management create top-down approaches that front-line knows better than to argue with, but results are not always tested before wide-scale implementation or even afterwards correctly to pinpoint success causing uncertainty in harm/benefit.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to create initiatives in a way that can be tested quantitatively for their effectiveness. Trust that your front-line can figure things out if implemented with proper training, let them rise to the occasion. Hold onto your star players with more than what often feel like empty promises for personal and professional growth.

Meh

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with Gamers around Games

ConsPay is trash, lots of needless quotas to hit

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The lowest level job is a great part-time opportunity.

Game Advisor (Former Employee)
    Robinson, PA

ProsIt was great as a summer job that eventually turned into a once-a-week side job for me, sort of like a hobby. I enjoyed going in and talking to people about games, selling games and having fun. Everyone I knew within the company said that my position, "game advisor," was their favorite job. It was a blast and fun to come in to work.

ConsIt seemed to me that as people went further up the company ladder they became more and more dissatisfied. A lot of the activities they were required to perform were tedious and time-consuming. Managers tended to become jaded and unhappy, with a negative opinion on the inner workings of the company. Their hours did not justify their pay.

its cool and all but they don't look like they have much fun there.

Cashier (Current Employee)
    King Queen Ch, VA

ProsGames, fellow game lover, sometimes they have free chicken.

ConsNo girls. If you love girls you wont see too many there.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the employees have fun.

Pros and Cons to everything

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat when the people you work with are as enthusiastic as you are. Some of the customers are great to talk to when they are into this hobby as much as some employees.

ConsCorporate chooses to empower the customers more than the employees. They more often than not elect to go with the customer (who is rarely ever right in my experience), even when you are following the rules perfectly. Some employees are the absolute worse and do not care for anything that they are selling and they give the company A LOT of bad press.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower the employees more and give customers a reason to come to GameStop over the competition outside close to meaningless bonuses.

GameStop is a great place to work.

ProsAs a store manager you get a lot of free games, flexible schedule, good pay and benefits.

ConsIt is salary so there are times when you have to work a lot of extra hours. Company is very much into micro management

dont stick around

ASM (Former Employee)
    Carlisle, PA

Prosbeing around games and talking about games

Consonce you reach management the job is all about numbers and loyalty cards. plus the upper management gets to have their thanksgiving while the grunts are ina store at midnight. plus expected to do 100 things with no payroll or associates to help.

Advice to Senior Managementstop being stingy with payroll. we all know you have surplus cash that could be used to better the stores and the staffs in them.

IT at Corporate HQ is dead end.

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
    Grapevine, TX

ProsI can't think of a positive aspect to working there.

ConsLack of best-practices in many functions. The corp operates with a focus on stores so everything else is made to feel as a necessary evil. The attitude is to spend what it takes just to "keep the lights on", with little long term vision because they all know the ship is already sinking anyhow.

One Insane Mistake

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsConsistently able to work with customers on a subject I was passionate about.

ConsUpper management is extremely goal oriented to a fault. You're expected to pull numbers that might be impossible based on your store's foot traffic. Being that it was salary the hours were 60+ and payroll was very stingy, so if something needs done you'll be the person doing. 80 hour weeks were typical for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace an emphasis on personal achievement while also giving the people you hired the benefit of the doubt. Raise the minimum wage in order to maintain good associates, and stop forcing "rewards" down people's throats. You can often attract more flies with sugar than salt.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GameStop reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines. All 1,201 reviews posted anonymously by GameStop employees.