GameStop

GameStop Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX

Updated Jul 19, 2014

GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines

J. Paul Raines

Pros
  • We know what to recommend because every single one of us plays a lot of video games(in 193 reviews)

• You get a discount on purchases, and you can check out games for four days(in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you're upper management you will only get 4-10 hours a week at best(in 106 reviews)

• You get paid just above minimum wage with the responsibility of a store manager(in 76 reviews)

66 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Political, but better than some

Analyst (Former Employee) Grapevine, TX

ProsGreat place to sell "fun"

ConsVery political; lacks broad focus

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to stop playing games with people's careers, and start focusing on increasing profit for the company

Work hard and you can advance to corporate.

IT Manager (Former Employee) Grapevine, TX

ProsIf you have a desire to learn they will send you to trainings so that you can move up in the company.

ConsSometimes it feels like you have to work thankless hours. But what job doesn't.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is vital all the way down the line.

Decent employer, terrible raises

Supervisor (Former Employee) Grapevine, TX

ProsGreat schedule at the corporate office

ConsAlmost impossible to move up, and the raises are small

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting people based on promises and promote based on performance

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was given many opportunities for advancement and taught many skills that have been helpful in all aspects.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Grapevine, TX

ProsConstant environment changes, always new opportunities

ConsDiverse culture can prove too sensative, many different management outlooks

Advice to Senior ManagementRather than all managers running departments their own way, it may help morale for all departments to be kept with identical rules and guidance

IT at Corporate HQ is dead end.

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Grapevine, TX

ProsI can't think of a positive aspect to working there.

ConsLack of best-practices in many functions. The corp operates with a focus on stores so everything else is made to feel as a necessary evil. The attitude is to spend what it takes just to "keep the lights on", with little long term vision because they all know the ship is already sinking anyhow.

Hourly

Help Desk Analyst II (Former Employee) Grapevine, TX

ProsPaid the bills, average benefits, close to home and it was a relaxed corporate environment

ConsSalaries are below average,

Advice to Senior ManagementRequest a larger budget and increase average salaries

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

I was thrilled to give my notice.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Grapevine, TX

ProsDiversity is a priority at GameStop, both in terms of hiring and promotion.

ConsIT is about 80% contractors, which as you'd imagine is quite difficult to manage. Often the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, and suspicion runs high. I experienced this myself, and also overheard it happening with others. I remember hearing a fellow contractor being questioned very closely about his timesheet from many weeks before. This is a place to say yes to when you're just not saying no.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd suggest increasing the percentage of employees in IT, and looking at how a more pleasant work environment might be created.

Manager

Store Manager (Former Employee) Grapevine, TX

ProsThis is a company with tremendous growth. You must be willing to work for what you want as it is just not given to you.

ConsIn retail management Saturday's are difficult to get off.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to the future

Disappointing

Refrub Tech (Former Employee) Grapevine, TX

ProsIt's a job. You get paid. you are watched at all times.

ConsFeels like you are more in prison than a work site. This is at the refrub site.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some professional help for a happy work force.

Not bad to add to your resume but not much else

Database Administrator (Current Employee) Grapevine, TX

ProsName recognition as many people have heard of GameStop. If you're into video gaming the discount is decent. Pay is good to above-average.

ConsNew direction is more conducive to selling a company than growing it. Cheaper and fewer benefits, more 3rd party partnering and a greater focus on hiring new grads means the systems get less efficient and more disjointed.

Advice to Senior ManagementHeed your own advice and get your head out from the past and look toward the future. Brick/mortar stores for gaming are going to go the way of Blockbuster.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!