GameStop

Updated Mar 10, 2014

GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines

J. Paul Raines

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The fun of working with video games, the tedium of working retail.

Torrance, CA

I have been working at GameStop part-time for less than a year

ProsThe fun of working with video games, and associating with other video game fanatics

ConsThe tedium of working retail can be wearying, but no more than any other job. Selling memberships and plans and the various upgrades is annoying, but every retail job is required to do it, so whatever.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive workers more hours, especially if they're talented at selling memberships and upgrades.

Even though it got busy, I had fun interacting with the customers.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Pasadena, CA

I worked at GameStop

ProsHigh paced, fun environment. Recommending games you are passionate about. Informing customers of all the cool future releases firsthand. Helping out moms who have never been inside a video game store at Christmas time.

ConsNot enough hours to complete all tasks.

Great for a retail veteran.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at GameStop

Pros-Get to work in the gaming industry.
-Selling games to people is as fun as you make it.
-Fortunately I had a very supportive leadership team which respected employees needs and growth.
-Medical benefits are very competitive for retail.
-Yearly management meeting in Vegas, lots of contests as incentive and yearly bonus.
-Performance Indicators are easily manageable and easy to translate to creating a guest experience rather than just driving a number.

Cons-A lot of change happens in a short amount of time.
-Leadership dictates the success of your business, if you are not confident in your supervisor you need to be or consider something else.
-This company is driven by it's people at the DM level in too many ways, I was fortunate to have great DMs but a mediocre or bad DM would make this a difficult place to work as a manager.
-Labor hours for non management are too few to operate during busy times, Game Stop is doing a great job of transitioning to customer a 1st model, but it is hard to do at the store level with out hours to support the number of employees needed to appease the demand.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the directives and intent of corporate policies are executed at the field level. Integrity, communication and commitment are lacking in the field when compared to corporate direction.

Short-lived

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Torrance, CA

I worked at GameStop part-time for less than a year

ProsIt's a video game store, what's not fun about it?

ConsBarely any hours, most hours go to full-time workers and I was seasonal.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpread out the hours

Fun place with very few hours to spare

Alhambra, CA

I have been working at GameStop part-time for more than a year

ProsIts a fun environment. You get to talk about video games all day long, you help/advice people, a little competitive on sales, and cool co-workers!

ConsStores don't give a lot of hours to their employees. If you're not the Manager or Assistant Manager, expect 5 - 10 hours a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe push for pre-orders/Memberships is a bit too much, and your job shouldn't depend on it.
Proper training should be given to new employees
Better advancement oportunities should be given.

Fun, but hard to move up

Senior Game Advisor (Current Employee)
West Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at GameStop part-time for more than 5 years

ProsFun work environment
Fast pace and always changing

ConsMoving upward in the company is difficult, even with a bachelor's degree

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote overqualified employees that work hard and have high sales numbers

It's a job. Not as much fun as you would think.

Palmdale, CA

I have been working at GameStop part-time for more than a year

ProsThe people. The staff and management can be fun to work with. If you are into video games it is nice to be in the know. A wide range of customers to interact with.

ConsHigh pressure sales with no commission. Low pay and high stress sales environment. Not a lot of room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your hourly employees. Don't push the Cards and Resos so hard, it turns people off.

Fun coworkers, okay company

Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at GameStop part-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get a lot of face time with customers. You get to help them and build relationships that get them coming back to your store. With the proper training (key words there) you learn some great sales skills. If you like alphabetizing this is your heaven on earth. They're also really good about harassment issues. I had to report my assistant store manager a few months ago and they didn't waste any time fixing. They let me temporarily transfer to a store of my choice while they talked to her (and they also have a non-retaliation policy so you can sleep sound that once it's settled it's settled forever).

ConsThe company doesn't care about you as a person. They don't have a set training system and rely solely on managers to train you. That's fine when you have a great manager. But when you don't you don't get the training you need in order to meet the requirements GameStop sets for you. And when you don't meet those requirements they punish you. They cut your hours and expect you to get better under more pressure, impossible expectations and less time. I'm lucky in that my latest manager is awesome at helping me improve. But I struggled constantly before he was transferred to my store because my other managers didn't care. If you don't have a strong management in your store you have little to no resources to better yourself as a worker on your own. In my experience, upper management (like district managers and higher) relies more on negative reinforcement than positive. So you've got to learn to develop a thick skin. Absorb and learn from the constructive criticism and brush off everything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a day or two in one of your trouble stores. Then you can see how to make them better. I work in the busiest store in my district (and it happens to be in the middle of the ghetto, too) and the regular rules don't apply there. We work our butts off just to keep the store together, let alone keep things up to your impossible standards. Just because they work for a super slow store in the middle of an upscale neighborhood where you don't have kids knocking shelves off the walls every other hour, it doesn't mean they're gonna work for every store you have. I'd suggest spending some time in different stores. Learn how they work and what they are actually capable of doing. And then tailor your requirements appropriately.

Be prepared to be results-oriented

Game Advisor (Former Employee)
Cerritos, CA

ProsFun environment
Interaction with customers and co-workers can be casual/friendly
Very satisfying to help a customer find a suitable product which they will enjoy

ConsYou are forced to produce sales results in order to advance in the company. This includes aggressive upselling to customers whom are not interested in what you are offering (which is borderline harassment in some cases). Sometimes you make customers feel trapped and uncomfortable because of your sales pitching. Selling reservations and magazine subscriptions is truely all the company cares about... if you think the company cares about you personally, you are dead wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is fine, and does a good job of reflecting Gamestop; they only want sales numbers and don't give a damn about anything else. Management does their job fine, given the companies goals.

No chance to grow, no chance to shine.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Glendale, CA

I worked at GameStop part-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking with video games is fun, as a young guy, at first.

ConsThe management is deplorable, the system is outdated and unfriendly, and the opportunities they will bait you with are non existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to care about your employees more. Paying someone who has been working for you for 5+ years, and is doing the work of a manager (because you are too cheap to just hire a new manager/bring one in from another store) 8.90 an hour is terrible.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GameStop reviews and ratings in Los Angeles, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by GameStop employees.