GameStop Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

2.8
1,310 Reviews

GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines
J. Paul Raines

Pros
  • We know what to recommend because every single one of us plays a lot of video games (in 195 reviews)

• You get a discount on purchases, and you can check out games for four days (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you're upper management you will only get 4-10 hours a week at best (in 110 reviews)

• You get paid just above minimum wage with the responsibility of a store manager (in 76 reviews)

More Highlights

23 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Why I finally quit

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor  in  Fullerton, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Fullerton, CA

I worked at GameStop part-time for more than a year

Pros

Discount on games, good loyal customers

Cons

Poor management, untrained staff members, lack of respect and professionalism for loyal employees

Thoroughly inspect candidates for Store Manager positions if they do not exist on the internet or have online profiles. My last Store Manager was followed by a string of identified counterfeit money, missing merchandise, clutter, and sexual harassment.

Poor management aside, this can be a very fun and enjoyable environment. Employees try their best to drive sales but due to demographics sometimes the goals are just not attainable.

Not as great as one would think

Former Employee - SGA  in  Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - SGA in Torrance, CA

I worked at GameStop part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good for game knowledge, great cow-workers, and organized business model.

Cons

Pay was crappy considering I worked for 2 years and only got a 50 cent raise even though I made it to SGA while have a bachelor's degree. THEY DO NOT CARE IF YOU HAVE A COLLEGE DEGREE EITHER. I was a hard worked SGA that was given 38 hours a week (just under full-time so I was unable to receive benefits). Also they are breaking of California labor laws, which is a huge issue that many ignore. As an opener you are alone in the store and can not leave the store to take your 10 minute break which the law states we are suppose to get. Also, we could get in trouble for closing the store for a few minutes to use the restroom because no other person was in the store at the same time. It's a huge class action lawsuit waiting to happen. I was never able to take my ten minute breaks as a manager because I wasn't allowed to leave the store to anyone that wasn't a keyholder. Personal life was also an issue because as a keyholder you have to work at the mercy of the stores needs.

Please consider paying employees much better than they make now. Be considerate of college degree employees. More pay and smarter planning will make your employees much happier and thus, more productive.

Terrible place to work at.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Orange, CA

I have been working at GameStop full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Only works around school schedule.

Cons

Doesn't promote from within. To many affirmative action policies to advance a career in my district.

Promote equally.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This company is all about the execs.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Walnut, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Walnut, CA

I have been working at GameStop part-time for more than a year

Pros

Feel like you get the cutting edge info on games.

Cons

- Poor mid level management.
    - Very low pay
    - Company embraces the revolving door employee plan.

Not the best job in the world

Former Employee - Game Advisor  in  Rowland Heights, CA
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Rowland Heights, CA

I worked at GameStop

Pros

Okay starting job for first-time workers. Get to rent out games for a few days, and be around games.

Cons

Where do I start? Well, thye defintely don't care about their employees because of all work they throw on you. I know I was at the bottom of the scale, but being forced to push customers, and even lie to them just to make subscriptions and reservations is just worong. Not only that, but they base your hours off of how many subs and resos you get. I pretty much went a month with no work just because I let my morals get the best of me. And even though it's cool that employees can rent out new games, once those games are brought back, they get sold to customers as "new" when in reality they're "used" and there's no mention of that to the customer when they buy it. To me, that's pretty messed up. And if you work in a not-so-nice area, expect the GameStops in that area to get robbed. Which brings up another point: their security camera system is insanely lax. They focus more on watching the employees than anythign else. The practically body-searching you have to go through just to leave is insane. I guess this is just like any retail job: if you're a great salesperson, then you'll do fine. but if not, expect to suffer.

Stop treating your employees like they're your monkeys and actually treat them ALL with respect.

Not A Good Company To Make A Career

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  North Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in North Hills, CA

I worked at GameStop full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you love or are interested in video games, it's worthwhile and at times fun in terms of dealing and interacting with customers who also love video games. You get discounts on video games (both new and used) but not video game consoles. When I worked for the company, I definitely loved the employees/subordinates I worked with.

Cons

Terrible upper management, particularly District Managers. District Managers play favorites. The fact that a District Manager would promote somebody with a High School Diploma over somebody with a Bachelors Degree to Store Manager for the mere fact that he likes that particular person is ridiculous and downright wrong. Let's get one thing straight first, the company prefers to hire Store Managers externally so getting promoted to Store Manager is very difficult no matter how hard you work and show your worth.

If a store doesn't reach its numbers, don't use scare tactics towards the store managers and think that will change anything for the better. More likely than not, it makes things worse and stresses the employees. Show professionalism in what you do, be a coach, be a guide for success not failure. A good manager is somebody who is able to mediate and manage different personalities and egos. A good manager is somebody who offers guidance through the good and tough times. A good manager is not somebody in authority all the time - somebody who orders his/her subordinates to do this and that or scares people if they don't meet unrealistic or over the top expectations. Just be a GOOD MANAGER.

No chance to grow, no chance to shine.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Glendale, CA

I worked at GameStop part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working with video games is fun, as a young guy, at first.

Cons

The management is deplorable, the system is outdated and unfriendly, and the opportunities they will bait you with are non existent.

You need to care about your employees more. Paying someone who has been working for you for 5+ years, and is doing the work of a manager (because you are too cheap to just hire a new manager/bring one in from another store) 8.90 an hour is terrible.

Your typical retain experience with a pawn shop twist.

Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at GameStop part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Free video game rentals, yearly raises, free t-shirts from time to time, getting to see the newest games before they come out, employees with similar interests.

Cons

Low pay, poor benefits, terrible customers, sometimes have to deal with stolen merchandise, robbed often, often work alone, very little room for upward mobility.

Give stores more hours (100 minimum for stores that earn over $15k per week), make 3rd Key a position with benefits/time off, allow employees to mute GameStop TV after they close the store.

Lackluster and underappreciated

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at GameStop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with fellow gamers. Having inside knowledge of games coming out. Fun enviornment.

Cons

Attendance has issues. District manager only sees what he wants to see. Doesnt recognize a good job, and well as be able to coach an under performer.

When you have an employee who's only negative thing on her evaluation was to be more available on her days of in case needed...seems like you couldnt really find anything personal. Yes, store numbers were low, but look at the location. So the DM waltzs in not being there everyday and gives a hard working assistant a ,09 raise. yep nine cent raise. My advice know your employees. the good and the bad. Luckiy the person got the ,09 raise had the courage to walk away.

A frustrating example of doing things hard, not smart.

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor  in  Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Glendale, CA

I worked at GameStop full-time for less than a year

Pros

Generally good customers. You can try before you buy. It's easy to build relationships with customers because many of them are regulars.

Cons

A lot of tasks that could be simplified using easily available technology (such as scanners for inventory). Tasks make time management nearly impossible for higher traffic stores. Low traffic stores are not as difficult.

Work on time management.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!