GameStop

GameStop Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Jul 23, 2014

GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines

J. Paul Raines

Pros
  • We know what to recommend because every single one of us plays a lot of video games (in 195 reviews)

• You get a discount on purchases, and you can check out games for four days (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you're upper management you will only get 4-10 hours a week at best (in 110 reviews)

• You get paid just above minimum wage with the responsibility of a store manager (in 76 reviews)

More Highlights
22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not A Good Company To Make A Career

Store Manager (Former Employee) North Hills, CA

ProsIf you love or are interested in video games, it's worthwhile and at times fun in terms of dealing and interacting with customers who also love video games. You get discounts on video games (both new and used) but not video game consoles. When I worked for the company, I definitely loved the employees/subordinates I worked with.

ConsTerrible upper management, particularly District Managers. District Managers play favorites. The fact that a District Manager would promote somebody with a High School Diploma over somebody with a Bachelors Degree to Store Manager for the mere fact that he likes that particular person is ridiculous and downright wrong. Let's get one thing straight first, the company prefers to hire Store Managers externally so getting promoted to Store Manager is very difficult no matter how hard you work and show your worth.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf a store doesn't reach its numbers, don't use scare tactics towards the store managers and think that will change anything for the better. More likely than not, it makes things worse and stresses the employees. Show professionalism in what you do, be a coach, be a guide for success not failure. A good manager is somebody who is able to mediate and manage different personalities and egos. A good manager is somebody who offers guidance through the good and tough times. A good manager is not somebody in authority all the time - somebody who orders his/her subordinates to do this and that or scares people if they don't meet unrealistic or over the top expectations. Just be a GOOD MANAGER.

Why I finally quit

Senior Game Advisor (Former Employee) Fullerton, CA

ProsDiscount on games, good loyal customers

ConsPoor management, untrained staff members, lack of respect and professionalism for loyal employees

Advice to Senior ManagementThoroughly inspect candidates for Store Manager positions if they do not exist on the internet or have online profiles. My last Store Manager was followed by a string of identified counterfeit money, missing merchandise, clutter, and sexual harassment.

Poor management aside, this can be a very fun and enjoyable environment. Employees try their best to drive sales but due to demographics sometimes the goals are just not attainable.

Friendly coworkers, bad work environment.

Game Advisor (Former Employee) Northridge, CA

ProsFriendly co workers to talk about games with.

15% off any item in store except consoles and pre-paid cards.

Freebies depending on the situation.

ConsA bit too much work for new members to handle.

Some unrealistic expectations on work performance.

Little pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry not to be too harsh on new employees. Give them more breathing room when they start. Only after a few months should they be expected to handle working on the cashier or alphabetizing especially during the holidays. I did enjoy working for you though, and I hope to do it again soon.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not as great as one would think

SGA (Former Employee) Torrance, CA

ProsGood for game knowledge, great cow-workers, and organized business model.

ConsPay was crappy considering I worked for 2 years and only got a 50 cent raise even though I made it to SGA while have a bachelor's degree. THEY DO NOT CARE IF YOU HAVE A COLLEGE DEGREE EITHER. I was a hard worked SGA that was given 38 hours a week (just under full-time so I was unable to receive benefits). Also they are breaking of California labor laws, which is a huge issue that many ignore. As an opener you are alone in the store and can not leave the store to take your 10 minute break which the law states we are suppose to get. Also, we could get in trouble for closing the store for a few minutes to use the restroom because no other person was in the store at the same time. It's a huge class action lawsuit waiting to happen. I was never able to take my ten minute breaks as a manager because I wasn't allowed to leave the store to anyone that wasn't a keyholder. Personal life was also an issue because as a keyholder you have to work at the mercy of the stores needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease consider paying employees much better than they make now. Be considerate of college degree employees. More pay and smarter planning will make your employees much happier and thus, more productive.

The fun of working with video games, the tedium of working retail.

Game Advisor (Current Employee) Torrance, CA

ProsThe fun of working with video games, and associating with other video game fanatics

ConsThe tedium of working retail can be wearying, but no more than any other job. Selling memberships and plans and the various upgrades is annoying, but every retail job is required to do it, so whatever.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive workers more hours, especially if they're talented at selling memberships and upgrades.

No chance to grow, no chance to shine.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Glendale, CA

ProsWorking with video games is fun, as a young guy, at first.

ConsThe management is deplorable, the system is outdated and unfriendly, and the opportunities they will bait you with are non existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to care about your employees more. Paying someone who has been working for you for 5+ years, and is doing the work of a manager (because you are too cheap to just hire a new manager/bring one in from another store) 8.90 an hour is terrible.

Your typical retain experience with a pawn shop twist.

Senior Game Advisor (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsFree video game rentals, yearly raises, free t-shirts from time to time, getting to see the newest games before they come out, employees with similar interests.

ConsLow pay, poor benefits, terrible customers, sometimes have to deal with stolen merchandise, robbed often, often work alone, very little room for upward mobility.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive stores more hours (100 minimum for stores that earn over $15k per week), make 3rd Key a position with benefits/time off, allow employees to mute GameStop TV after they close the store.

Short-lived

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Torrance, CA

ProsIt's a video game store, what's not fun about it?

ConsBarely any hours, most hours go to full-time workers and I was seasonal.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpread out the hours

Fun place with very few hours to spare

Game Advisor (Current Employee) Alhambra, CA

ProsIts a fun environment. You get to talk about video games all day long, you help/advice people, a little competitive on sales, and cool co-workers!

ConsStores don't give a lot of hours to their employees. If you're not the Manager or Assistant Manager, expect 5 - 10 hours a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe push for pre-orders/Memberships is a bit too much, and your job shouldn't depend on it.
    Proper training should be given to new employees
    Better advancement oportunities should be given.

Terrible place to work at.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Orange, CA

ProsOnly works around school schedule.

ConsDoesn't promote from within. To many affirmative action policies to advance a career in my district.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote equally.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!