GameStop

2.8
1,415 Reviews

GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines
J. Paul Raines

Pros
  • We know what to recommend because every single one of us plays a lot of video games (in 215 reviews)

• I did check out games for research and give feedback based off my personal experience (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you're upper management you will only get 4-10 hours a week at best (in 125 reviews)

• Work / Life balance is not important, only delivery of moving targets (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Your typical retain experience with a pawn shop twist.

Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Free video game rentals, yearly raises, free t-shirts from time to time, getting to see the newest games before they come out, employees with similar interests.

Cons

Low pay, poor benefits, terrible customers, sometimes have to deal with stolen merchandise, robbed often, often work alone, very little room for upward mobility.

Give stores more hours (100 minimum for stores that earn over $15k per week), make 3rd Key a position with benefits/time off, allow employees to mute GameStop TV after they close the store.

Short-lived

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Torrance, CA

I worked at GameStop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a video game store, what's not fun about it?

Cons

Barely any hours, most hours go to full-time workers and I was seasonal.

Spread out the hours

Fun place with very few hours to spare

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Alhambra, CA
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Alhambra, CA

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its a fun environment. You get to talk about video games all day long, you help/advice people, a little competitive on sales, and cool co-workers!

Cons

Stores don't give a lot of hours to their employees. If you're not the Manager or Assistant Manager, expect 5 - 10 hours a week.

The push for pre-orders/Memberships is a bit too much, and your job shouldn't depend on it.
    Proper training should be given to new employees
    Better advancement oportunities should be given.

Fun, but hard to move up

Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor in West Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor in West Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun work environment
    Fast pace and always changing

Cons

Moving upward in the company is difficult, even with a bachelor's degree

Promote overqualified employees that work hard and have high sales numbers

Terrible place to work at.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Orange, CA

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Only works around school schedule.

Cons

Doesn't promote from within. To many affirmative action policies to advance a career in my district.

Promote equally.

Lackluster and underappreciated

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with fellow gamers. Having inside knowledge of games coming out. Fun enviornment.

Cons

Attendance has issues. District manager only sees what he wants to see. Doesnt recognize a good job, and well as be able to coach an under performer.

When you have an employee who's only negative thing on her evaluation was to be more available on her days of in case needed...seems like you couldnt really find anything personal. Yes, store numbers were low, but look at the location. So the DM waltzs in not being there everyday and gives a hard working assistant a ,09 raise. yep nine cent raise. My advice know your employees. the good and the bad. Luckiy the person got the ,09 raise had the courage to walk away.

It's a job. Not as much fun as you would think.

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Palmdale, CA
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Palmdale, CA

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people. The staff and management can be fun to work with. If you are into video games it is nice to be in the know. A wide range of customers to interact with.

Cons

High pressure sales with no commission. Low pay and high stress sales environment. Not a lot of room for advancement.

Listen to your hourly employees. Don't push the Cards and Resos so hard, it turns people off.

A frustrating example of doing things hard, not smart.

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Glendale, CA

I worked at GameStop full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Generally good customers. You can try before you buy. It's easy to build relationships with customers because many of them are regulars.

Cons

A lot of tasks that could be simplified using easily available technology (such as scanners for inventory). Tasks make time management nearly impossible for higher traffic stores. Low traffic stores are not as difficult.

Work on time management.

Fun coworkers, okay company

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get a lot of face time with customers. You get to help them and build relationships that get them coming back to your store. With the proper training (key words there) you learn some great sales skills. If you like alphabetizing this is your heaven on earth. They're also really good about harassment issues. I had to report my assistant store manager a few months ago and they didn't waste any time fixing. They let me temporarily transfer to a store of my choice while they talked to her (and they also have a non-retaliation policy so you can sleep sound that once it's settled it's settled forever).

Cons

The company doesn't care about you as a person. They don't have a set training system and rely solely on managers to train you. That's fine when you have a great manager. But when you don't you don't get the training you need in order to meet the requirements GameStop sets for you. And when you don't meet those requirements they punish you. They cut your hours and expect you to get better under more pressure, impossible expectations and less time. I'm lucky in that my latest manager is awesome at helping me improve. But I struggled constantly before he was transferred to my store because my other managers didn't care. If you don't have a strong management in your store you have little to no resources to better yourself as a worker on your own. In my experience, upper management (like district managers and higher) relies more on negative reinforcement than positive. So you've got to learn to develop a thick skin. Absorb and learn from the constructive criticism and brush off everything else.

Spend a day or two in one of your trouble stores. Then you can see how to make them better. I work in the busiest store in my district (and it happens to be in the middle of the ghetto, too) and the regular rules don't apply there. We work our butts off just to keep the store together, let alone keep things up to your impossible standards. Just because they work for a super slow store in the middle of an upscale neighborhood where you don't have kids knocking shelves off the walls every other hour, it doesn't mean they're gonna work for every store you have. I'd suggest spending some time in different stores. Learn how they work and what they are actually capable of doing. And then tailor your requirements appropriately.

This company is all about the execs.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Walnut, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Walnut, CA

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Feel like you get the cutting edge info on games.

Cons

- Poor mid level management.
    - Very low pay
    - Company embraces the revolving door employee plan.