GameStop

1,552 Reviews
1,552 Reviews

GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines
J. Paul Raines

Pros
  • We know what to recommend because every single one of us plays a lot of video games (in 221 reviews)

• I did check out games for research and give feedback based off my personal experience (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you're upper management you will only get 4-10 hours a week at best (in 128 reviews)

• Work / Life balance is not important, only delivery of moving targets (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

Great job and team, upper management disconnection

Former Employee - Store Manager in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at GameStop (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company has great upward opportunities but gets very competitive once you reach the Store Management position, and the opportune moments are a very small window to climb through at that point. If you have a passion for gaming and all things pop culture, interacting with the customers to help them make a decision based on their needs is always a high satisfying feeling. Whether you're dealing with the "core" customer or the "broad" customer (parents and gift givers), when you give them your utmost attention and level of detail in your guidance, it will never get old how many times you shake people's hands for a job well done.

Developing a team that wants to enjoy their job and get to where you are is also a big plus. Being a good store manager not just in your sales, but in how you develop your talent goes a long way, not just with your direct associate team, but your district store manager team can both be a big help and a driving force to success. I left an amazing team after 8 years in the management team. The company also retains their employees for hard work, ethics and conduct.

Cons

There's a disconnection with upper management. The company has grown so big that upper management has turned into a red-tape, policy-is-law force which hinders positive talent growth, all while spreading a culture of "Protect the Family" and an "I Care" mentality. It's very counter intuitive and counter productive when you're told to do one thing, but the opposite is expected. Ideas - while welcomed and accepted - are seldom acknowledged because of how large GameStop has become.

Then there's payroll. You'll be left with 83 hours to work with each week for your associates. That's 40 hours for your assistant - to which you give anything less and good job keeping your ASM - and about 30 or less for your Senior Game Adviser, or "Shift Lead" to the outside world, and that leaves generally 13 hours left to split among 3 more associates. It kills morale and is a recipe for a lot of catch-up work to do, which can pile up extremely quickly.

Finally, the company is trying to expand to other industries too fast. I understand why, but instead of growing outside the company with acquisitions (which they have done), they are dropping new initiatives on management and teams on their laps and telling them to run with it with literally no training and expecting results. Training in general is something to be desired (as in, there is no training and everything is train-as-you-go, which can be amazing, but no payroll is given to shadow a new employee and give him or her an example or idea of how to work the business).

Listen to your employees and judge with open ears with a case by case scenario and drop the arbitrary nonsense to HR policies. You are losing outstanding employees for incidental and extremely minor issues, let alone for even making a simple management decision, which disenfranchises the surrounding district team. Improve your training, or rather, actually allow for hands-on training with management and new associates by providing payroll weeks, not just "3 hours for new hires during holiday season". That does nothing. Do not expect the intranet resources to fully train an associates with what little time they have to access it.

I Loved working as a Game Advisor at Gamestop.

I worked at GameStop

Pros

Working here I felt like I had a second family instead of coworkers, the hours were okay. Working midnight releases is a blast.

Cons

Competitive sales are a bit of a downer

Upper management was great

Exciting and energetic environment with lots interesting and intelligent customers

I worked at GameStop

Pros

first looks at some of the most revolutionary entertainment technology and graphical masterpieces.

Cons

Long hours,low pay, and short staffing requirements.

spend more money on staffing and you would be surprised on the repeat customers. People may come in for the games and deals but if you have one bad experience it will destroy all your hard work in getting them in to the store.

Great for a high school student's first job.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at GameStop

Pros

It was awesome working with video games, helping people find great games, and coworkers were very friendly and helpful.

Cons

The pay was below average. I was a seasonal employee and was offered a position to stay, but the hours were random and virtually nonexistent.

gamestop

Current Employee - Key Holder in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at GameStop

Pros

great monthly discount, chill environment.

Cons

boring as hell if you have no customers.

none really. Maybe find something for employres to do besides organize the games.

Fun environment

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at GameStop (more than a year)

Pros

Getting to talk video games all day
    Game releases are a ton of fun

Cons

Corporate micromanages EVERYTHING
    The amount of info you have to throw at every customer is insane

It's alright

I have been working at GameStop

Pros

Working with video games is always fun. There are a lot of cool regulars. Recently they've been introducing collectible figures and comic books. Lots of potential for growth in the company.

Cons

They recently introduced a credit card and want us to push it on to everyone. Sometimes the managers play favorites.

Keep growing the collectible section. It's very popular.

If you like Games work here.

Current Employee - Junior Sales Advisor in Woodbury, MN
    Current Employee - Junior Sales Advisor in Woodbury, MN

I have been working at GameStop

Pros

You get to know everything about games. They do actually pay you on time every two weeks. The atmosphere is generally relaxed. 10% store discount. First dibs on Pre-orders.

Cons

Pay is lacking.
    Not a lot of room to move up. In the 3 years I worked there, I had three different managers, who had not worked in with Video games before. I outlasted them all as a Jr. Sales adviser before I quit.
    You will work with others who may or may not be obsessed with video games.

I would like to see more Jr, Slaes associates move up in ranks instead of hiring for leadership from outside sources. There wasn't much leadership coaching, you either do your job well or you don't.

Hard work and flexibility mixed with ability will get you far if you can play the game.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is a fun industry dealing with a fun product. You can have a hand in shaping people's lives with how you develop them. It is very fast paced and there is always something to do. If you perform well, the compensation is relatively nice. If you have the right supervisor, they will really help develop you. The upper management really knows what they are doing so this company will be around for at least 10 years or more.

Cons

The company values are good but don't always translate down to middle management. When you are new, the hours are easily over 55 per week and with a lower starting wage this can burn people out quickly. Your supervisors can make or break your time and promotability. If you are not a self-motivated person with the ability to train yourself it can be difficult. The pace of change is extremely fast so there is no time to practice new things before just doing them.

Make sure that your core values and beliefs are held by the middle management of district and regional managers otherwise you will lose a lot of talent at the store level.

It's games but remember it's also retail

I worked at GameStop part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great if you like games, interacting with people, an easy job, flexible hours, and not too much stress

Cons

The pay is minimum wage, climbing up the ladder can be very difficult, some customers are dumb but you have to put up with them.