GameStop

2.8
1,416 Reviews

GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines
J. Paul Raines

Pros
  • We know what to recommend because every single one of us plays a lot of video games (in 215 reviews)

• I did check out games for research and give feedback based off my personal experience (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you're upper management you will only get 4-10 hours a week at best (in 125 reviews)

• Work / Life balance is not important, only delivery of moving targets (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

The Truths of GameStop

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You Get To Rent out Video Games
    Talk About Video Games
    If you are a manager/asm/sm/sga you get free games/merchandise but if you are a lowly store grunt you get close to nothing

Cons

Its Retail its not what everyone expects, its not all video games and fun. You have to go through much customer interaction and mindless pitching of products, memorizing 3 sentence long phone greetings that you must repeat without fail every time you answer a phone, mindless pitching of membership cards, reserving games, trading games in, credit cards, literally you spend most of your transaction trying to harass the customer into buying something they really don't need. Example: "Hi I just want to buy Cal of Duty For the PS4"
    Employee: " Do you want it Pre Owned?"
    Customer: "No, I want a new copy"
    Employee: "But You Save $5 Buying Pre Owned"
    Customer: "No Thanks Just a New Copy"
    Employee: " If You are a Pro Member you get 10% off and save $15 dollars, and if you sign up today you get a Buy 2 get 1 any pre owned game coupon, along with 1 year of Game Informer"
    Customer: " No thank you, just a new copy of Call of Duty"
    Employee: " Okay, would you like to buy the season pass that comes along with this game?"
    Customer: "No"
    Employee: " Why Not, if you buy the season pass now you save $10 by buying all 4 map packs together"
    Customer: "No thanks, Just the Game"
    Employee: "While you are here would you like to pre order Assassins Creed, Grand Theft Auto, Pokemon?"
    Customer: "No"
    Employee: "Gamestop has an all new PowerUp Rewards Credit Card, if you are a Pro Member you get 15,000 points and if you are a Basic you get 5,000 points as well as a $0 Annual Fee with the card, and if you spend more than $500 you get 6 months interest free financing"
    Customer: "I dont need a credit card"
    Employee: "Ok, here is your receipt and on it is a survey in which you can go online and tell GameStop how we did and you get entered for a chance to win a $100 Gamestop Gift Card

Mindless Droning/Harassing Customers with Useless Pitches/Not providing the proper pay and or hours to compensate employees who have to deliver the mindless droning/pitches to the customer

BEST JOB EVER!!!!!!

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at GameStop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employee discount is great, on top of that knowing all the information of the newest games coming is amazing. Checking games out is amazing its like renting games for free, this job is all out amazing.

Cons

nothing that I can think about the company that's bad best job I've ever had I am looking forward to working here for quiet some time.

No advise managers know what they're doing

Great for growing up, not great for grown-ups

Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed most of my 6 years there.
    - Meet a ton of fun and interesting people. Many friendships were forged over the years
    - You get to be around games, and people who love games, and people who love to talk about games
    - employee checkout policy - try the games so you don't have to throw money away
    - reasonable discount policy on new and used
    - managers treated to annual conference, usually a destination like Vegas

Cons

Not such a great work/life balance, especially for families
    - bound to the hours of the store
    - deadlines on projects are often without warning, resulting in late nights
    - holiday schedules are grueling - late nights, early hours, black friday, day after christmas
    - semi-annual inventory conducted after hours, resulting in late nights
    - lack of payroll support to maintain supposed customer service standards, burdening staff with overload of customers
    - no real appreciation of efforts - scaling of feedback is heavily weighted towards corrective. They will eat you alive 10 times before they thank you for being tasty.

There's a Time and a Place to Work Everywhere, Including Here.

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Austin, TX

I worked at GameStop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You're basically paid to talk about video games, learn about them, and help customers make educated decisions about their gaming needs. Most store managers I've worked with have been casual and friendly towards their workers. You don't need to actually learn skills or prove yourself to get promoted; you just need to last longer than anyone else(both a pro and a con, depending on your views)

Cons

Pay, benefits, and the stress of hitting your numbers. They actually tried making coworkers compete with one another for most sales, trades, etc. Even if you only work once a week, you compare your hourly average to the managers who are there during peak hours. Another period, they made us sign a contract agreeing to shove a piece of paper in the hands of every person who walked through the door. Not advisable as a long-term career, because they have nowhere to go; steam and amazon do everything they do better.

To those ranking above store manager: Cut the crap, and stop forcing your stores to do stupid stuff like trade fliers. Give the store managers more freedom with their stores.

Decent

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at GameStop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun to work with games, co workers are nice, shifts are not terribly long, time off requests are easily accepted.

Cons

Does not pay very well, usually can not get full time unless you are a manager, sometimes have to work late for events.

A great store with a good variety of games and other stuff.

Current Employee - Cashier in Perry, OK
    Current Employee - Cashier in Perry, OK

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A good reason for working at GameStop so i can be around games all day and see what ever one else are interested in, and maybe play the game they just bought.

Cons

A big con is that they don't have a store in Perry, OK mainly because there are allot of games and to get good games people have to drive along way just to get to a GameStop

Gamestop

Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are really chill , you get discount on games , easy job.

Cons

Number , Goals , People

Leadership we need it

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Gamestop is all about Leadership. If you can lead others in an ethical way then this is a great job. You have more friendly customers then not. not much is left to the imagination in what needs to be done. Or how it needs to be done. All information is provided and you are in control of your future with the company. By doing setting and meeting your expectations.

Cons

Sometimes there is a lot to get done. It helps if you can delegate tasks to other employees. When hiring people whom don't understand that Gamestop is a Business they don't take it seriously. They think they can just chat about games when there is a lot more then just that do. It can bog you down.

I believe that there is a lot expected but not anything to crazy. It is a job that if you like challenges then it's for you. Maybe the only thing that bothers me is when you forward and email to me that was sent to both you and myself. Like I did not see it. But I know it's just because you want to know about that email and what I have to say about it.

Been here for 7 years, the company cares, but not enough.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are a gamer, being able to spend your day talking to people who are as enthusiastic about what you love as you are can be a rewarding experience, and less mind numbing than other retail jobs.
    Store-Teams. Though GameStop is corporation, as a Store Manager, I am able to run my store like a franchise. I do my own hiring, coaching, development, and am able to make empowered choices about the way my store functions.
    'Protect the Famiy' GameStop is serious about ensuring all associates feel welcome, safe, and has really driven the Diversity goals up in the past few years. With the start of the GameFund, employees can now help each other directly in times of need. This includes illness, disaster, death, and homelessness.
    Store Managers get a lot of gifts from the vendors, games, consoles, etc. We are able to share these with our teams, and it helps us know the product better as well as feel appreciated.
    Internal Growth - More often than not, you see promotions coming from within, rather than someone being hired from the outside,.
    Conference -- For Store Managers, we get a week away from the stores each year to go somewhere and see sneak-peeks at the upcoming games and tech, as well as be given lots of gifts and some free time away from work. It is a great experience and good for team building, all expenses paid by the company aside from alcohol.
    Customer Loyalty - There are those who are completely loyal to GameStop, it is where they go to hang out, it's their favorite place to shop, and you will find yourself invested in these people emotionally. They become that friend you get used to seeing everyday.
    Insurance offered to all associates - From GA's to DM's, we are all offered the chance at insurance on many levels, including access to a 24 hour free line for non-emergency things like Pink Eye that save money.

Cons

Leadership on a DM and higher level; There are so many inconsistencies with the messages that are being delivered that it often leaves store teams scrammbling.
    'Busy Work' Constant projects, tasks, and having to do and re-do the same things over and over creates a ton of work that causes issues in customer service, stress on store teams, and delays actual productivity.
    Flat Out Lies -- When the idea of the PUR Credit Card was introduced and there was a company wide backlash from Managers and their teams, we were promised, directly, that there would not be goals set for the PUR Credit Card. It was a tool for customers and nothing more. The moment it launched, they slammed us with goals that were unrealistic and unattainable, it also left Store Managers trying to explain to their teams why they have been reassured that there would not be goals, when now there was so much pressure.
    All of Nothing -- Everything is at a 10 for the company, everything is leveled as the most important thing and it makes it impossible to find an area to focus on, that will not lead to trouble for the teams if anything else slips. I have been with the company for 7 years and climbed from a seasonal GA (entry level) to a Store Manager. I have seen and experienced this at every level, and it is maddening.
    Wages - From entry level to store management, GameStop still does not offer competitive wages. Starting at minimum as a non-negotiable, it is impossible to live off of the wage as an Assistant Store Manager or Store Manager on your own if you have any other bills (car payments, etc).

Be vocal, share your ideas, they do encourage empowered leadership and the squeaky wheel does get the oil. It is a great place to get experience in retail if that is what you are going for.

It's Okay if you can handle it.

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Catonsville, MD
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Catonsville, MD

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you can handle retail and like video games, it's a good place to work. My managers have all been excellent.

Cons

The hours for GAs are awful. I never get more than two days a week. Some weeks I get one day. The salary isn't great, either.

The payroll budget could use some improving.