GameStop

Updated Jul 25, 2014

2.7 1,228 reviews

GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines

J. Paul Raines

Pros
  • We know what to recommend because every single one of us plays a lot of video games(in 193 reviews)

• You get a discount on purchases, and you can check out games for four days(in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you're upper management you will only get 4-10 hours a week at best(in 106 reviews)

• You get paid just above minimum wage with the responsibility of a store manager(in 76 reviews)

1,228 Employee Reviews

Great if you are management, not so much otherwise.

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Champaign, IL

ProsGreat benefits, fun work environment, decide your own schedule (within reason, and only if you are management), midnight launches are great experiences, stay up to date on the latest info in the industry

ConsUpper management always increasing expectations make it difficult to keep up, lower than management positions have no guaranteed hours or benefits but held to the same (high) expectations as management

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more realistic in your expectations of employees that aren't there enough hours to meet them.

Decent experience at GameStop Kids

Game Associate (Former Employee) Racine, WI

ProsWorking at GameStop Kids in my area was a very easy and stress-free experience. It was nice being surrounded by colorful games and toys and there were never any problems in our store. I was also eligible for the employee discount, which was great.

ConsI never had a bad experience. It was just typical retail. Our store was small and did not have that much traffic so it could be slow sometimes but it was generally a good place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no complaints.

Easy job until you hit upper management

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Round Rock, TX

Pros-Easy advancement (as long as you do the job correctly)
    -Vendors are very generous with sending free merchandise (shirts, bags, pins, etc)

Cons-Unrealistic expectations
    -Pushing reservations and Pro cards can be a pain
    -Once you hit upper management, it's a no-win situation. No matter how well you're doing in one or even several categories, the company/your DM/your manager focuses on only what you're doing wrong

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have to say working at Gamestop was a door opener.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Bronx, NY

ProsThe pros would have to be, as a gamer myself, being able to borrow the new games that came out, play them, and that allowed me to sell the products more efficiently.

ConsThe challenges were lack of support from upper management staff when it came to personal growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that employees go thru proper training and have full staff prior to promotion to managerial positions

Doors of Oppportunity

Game Advisor (Former Employee) Savannah, GA

ProsCame in with the condition that I would only work if there was room for advancement and was given all the tools to do so. If you are a sales person at hear this is an amazing company for you. Climbing the corporate ladder is all about wanting it and if you do, they will make it happen.

ConsA lot of promotions and product release dates to keep in mind. You need to be available during the holidays and expect to work midnight releases.

Advice to Senior ManagementPLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do something about making the POS system more intuitive! The F1-F12 system is miserable. Also would be nice if we could have software that made mentioning current promotions easier. Help us out!

Plenty of Opportunity to rise up at the Refurb Center

ProsIt's a place with plenty of opportunity to rise up if you've got the drive and desire. The starting pay is good at the refurb center, and the benefits are reasonably priced.

ConsThe refurb center has a very crowded parking lot, so you have to get there early if you want close parking. The food also feels a little bland at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in additional parking and better food quality,

Good Job, hard to find a work/family balance as a manager

Store Manager (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsThe job offers sneak peaks at upcoming games that the public has to wait for. Discounts on everything except new systems. You get to meet all kinds of people who will become your friends online via xbox live or psn network.

ConsVery difficult to get weekends off for family functions, but hey that's retail. You work most holidays and extended hours during Christmas. You are pressed to produce results daily and weekly by most district managers. You could have an off week and the DM could ride you mercilessly throughout the week for a quick turn around.

Advice to Senior ManagementI was told "Family First" is our motto. That was not always the case.

Fun job but potential overemphasis on the wrong metrics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsWorking on the floor grants you a good opportunity to talk with customers regarding their preferences in video games and provide recommendations. It's ultimately a sales job, but selling isn't difficult when customers have an idea of what they're looking for and you're able to steer them in right direction. Excellence is of course awarded with more hours and even promotions. This is great as a side job as well because hours are very hard to come by starting out.

ConsAdvancement opportunities seem average, particularly if you're a strong seller. The focus (at least in my district) on percentages was somewhat unnerving; failure to meet them would result in hours reductions and eventually termination. The culture seemed to change markedly over the course of the year and a half I worked there.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue-added items are of course where a business makes it money. I don't know that this is corporate policy or district policy, but the focus on add-ons was as a percentage of transactions, rather than volume. % does have its merit, but a saturation of stores means that the clientele most likely to purchase those items tend to go to lower-traffic stores. The goals should be adjusted based on demographics at particular stores. Mal

It's okay for a while.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsYou have fun with customers who love games just as much as you do while working with people you start to see as family. Can be promoted to management fairly quickly with proper motivation.

ConsPoor pay unless your a store manager, high demands on "numbers" (reservation, subscriptions,DLC,I devices, tablets.), No rewards for meeting or exceeding expectations. Not enough hours to help management with HEAVY AMOUNT OF TASKS that can change or be added at the drop of a hat. Promotion given to individuals who don't deserve or aren't properly equipped to handle a store just because their "numbers" are high.

Advice to Senior ManagementGIVE MORE HOURS!!!!!! Its hard enough having to push numbers (which can be attained if motivated) without having multiple tasks to complete, some that takes several hours to complete especially if you work in a busy store. Have some reward system in place for employees who do well with "numbers" instead of consequences for not getting any (less numbers, extra conference calls mid-week, email after email creating competition between store THAT should be helping one another .)

Political, but better than some

Analyst (Former Employee) Grapevine, TX

ProsGreat place to sell "fun"

ConsVery political; lacks broad focus

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to stop playing games with people's careers, and start focusing on increasing profit for the company

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!