GameStop Reviews

2.8
1,371 Reviews

GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines
J. Paul Raines

Pros
  • We know what to recommend because every single one of us plays a lot of video games (in 213 reviews)

• Simple repetitive tasks and the ability to check out games for a short time (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you're upper management you will only get 4-10 hours a week at best (in 124 reviews)

• Work / Life balance is not important, only delivery of moving targets (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

I don't know

I have been working at GameStop

Pros

Meet great people, fun environment most the time

Cons

Customers are generally idiots, numbers, numbers, numbers. The company is going the wrong direction focusing on electronics and credit cards when they need to stick to their roots with video games.

Come manage a store for one month, close some shifts alone, etc. Then pay these people what they deserve and show some respect to your store employees, get off the balls of the district and regional managers.

Fun but Tough company to work for, overwhelming expectations at a store level

Former Employee - District Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If your into video games, this is the place for you
    Their annual Store Manager Conference is a blast
    Co workers are usually fun people

Cons

As a store associate you need to educate customers on way too many things. Reservations, Trades, Pre-owned- loyalty card, and soon a credit card. Sometimes its overwhelming for employees and guests

Enjoyed my time there

I worked at GameStop

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

A lot of moving targets

Great company to work for but you get overworked with very little payroll.

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun, always something new, good potential to move up if you have a good district manager, great people, employees care from top to bottom

Cons

Overworked, little payroll, lose good people because of no hours, no concept of what store managers go through on a daily basis most times

Quit trying to please stock holders and come off some payroll so store managers don't get burned out.

Excellent part time for opportunity for students and if you are looking for a second job.

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As a gamer I enjoyed talking about games and playing them often. I did check out games for research and give feedback based off my personal experience. I felt as if I was influencing my gaming community.

Cons

At times I felt I was working in a glorified pawn shop. Long hours, shifting deadlines and it only got worse as I was promoted to the management team. Counts, lots and lots of inventory counts. Monotonous and droll manual labor while taking care of customers.

The payroll issue has been an area of contention. You have store managers getting burned out with 60+ hour work weeks. Add more payroll so your managers can train and delegate employees tasks.

Field Management Needs to be Leaders and Motivators

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company very healthy, always thinking about the future with training and new products markets. Great team environment within store. Great customer culture . There are some Great People that work here.

Cons

Field Management doesn't have the buy in so it reflects on the store staff.
    Great computer based training system but no follow up.
    High turnover, working for 5 years had 6 DM's.
    Field Management don't help customers, they avoid them.
    They would rather leave the visit early then to help improve customer service. No matter how long the line is.

You need to know how to do before you show how to do.

Good starter job

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Learn to sell and meet some genuinely good people. Great for high schoolers who do not want to go into fast food. Able to be in a growing industry and offers a challenge.

Cons

Overbearing sales goals with no comission based pay and not enough hours to give to people. Often times you may work alone or with one other person during busiest times. An insane amount of work put on management.

Invest in giving individual stores more hours to schedule so that people are not left alone too much. Also focus on the stores individually instead of as a whole and have the district managers take a more active stance in what is happening when it looks like a store is failing. Too often people have been victim of heresay instead of someone taking an active position in what may really be happening. Some type of commission would also help to motivate associates to sell more. Also focus on the industry and the customers more than sales. Hiring people passionate about games will more often than not nake the store perform better as a whole. You can teach someone to sell. But you can not teach passion.

Good job for highschool.

Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not many pros other than discounts

Cons

Not enough pay for what you have to deal with. Especially as a Manager. Work schedule is kind of wonky. Not enough hours for trying to make a career out of unless you kiss alot of butt.

Pay your people more.. I had one lady tell me that she made $14 an hour as a Manager at McDonalds.. AT MCDONALDS! If you want people to stay pay them a heck of alot more. I was an SGA lower management working 25hrs a week at 8.28 an hour. I have a wife and a son. after calculating with taxes you get about 13k a year. That is dumb.

Senior Game Advisor

Former Employee - SGA in North East, MD
    Former Employee - SGA in North East, MD

I worked at GameStop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Can rent out games
    Laid back

Cons

Disrespectful management
    Not enough hours
    Little pay

Great

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Video Games is a very fun industry, discount on product.

Cons

Hours have been cut a lot over the past couple of years, the pressure to get reservations & magazine subs is very high.

Get back to focusing on the customer experience