GameStop Reviews

2.8
1,385 Reviews

GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines
J. Paul Raines

Pros
  • We know what to recommend because every single one of us plays a lot of video games (in 215 reviews)

• I did check out games for research and give feedback based off my personal experience (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you're upper management you will only get 4-10 hours a week at best (in 125 reviews)

• Work / Life balance is not important, only delivery of moving targets (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

I don't know

I have been working at GameStop

Pros

Meet great people, fun environment most the time

Cons

Customers are generally idiots, numbers, numbers, numbers. The company is going the wrong direction focusing on electronics and credit cards when they need to stick to their roots with video games.

Come manage a store for one month, close some shifts alone, etc. Then pay these people what they deserve and show some respect to your store employees, get off the balls of the district and regional managers.

Excellent Corporate Leadership

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at the corporate office has been an excellent experience. There is no perfect workplace, but GameStop does a great job in striving to provide the best work environment possible.
     - Fun atmosphere while creating an unrelenting emphasis on providing the best possible solution to our internal customers.
     - GameStop is an incredible corporate giver. We have multiple ways to give to the community through the Ronald McDonald House, Make a Wish, and support of our veterans.
     - The company really does care about the employees.
     - The ability for career progression. I've seen several employees promoted from within.

Cons

For me it's location... 25 mile drive to and from work. However, it's worth the drive.

Keep the communication up about the strategy of the company. For corporate office employees, it would probably help to remove the 90 day delay for benefits.

An organization that is fast paced and designed for those who thrive on change

Current Employee - Group Store Manager
    Current Employee - Group Store Manager

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are many in leadership that care about you as a person and share in your success. They are there for support but will not hold your hand.

Cons

Too many chiefs. Flavor of the day seems to creep up and even though results are not discussed much with focus on the behaviors, results do play a part in your promotability.

Too many directions from leadership at times. Make a plan, stick to it and offer constructive feedback.

Experience is all about the managers and employees!

Current Employee - Seasonal Game Advisor in Winter Park, FL
    Current Employee - Seasonal Game Advisor in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at GameStop as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It gives you a stepping stone to future jobs.
    Sales experience!
    It allows you to work around things you love. Don't work here if you don't mind gaming!
    The people are really sweet(especially at the Winter Park Villages Location).
    They put time to recognize regulars, and are dedicated to doing their job right.
    You get a 15% discount as an employee (at least for seasonal) which isn't including the 10% pro member discount which can be added for a total of 25% off.
    You can rent games for four days, with the exception of seasonal employees.
    Great job for college students who enjoy gaming.

Cons

It's only minimum wage for seasonal employees (which isn't that bad).
    If you don't keep up with dates and games then you'll struggle some with the various gamers that come in.
    The organization is time consuming (but not a bad thing!)

All I can say is that if you have negative managers it makes it seem negative for all of gamestop. I thought that gamestop was going to be kind of iffy at first, but when i walked into my gamestop, my viewpoint changed.

my company was bought by gamestop

Former Employee - Senior Software Architect
    Former Employee - Senior Software Architect

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

they treated us well and mostly left us alone to do our thing. folks from gamestop would visit or we would visit them in richardson and they were nice and fun to work with. when sr. management came to visit they called us all by name and sat and talked to each of us about what was happening. i felt like they listened to us.

Cons

the company is largely a retail operation and so software is a side thing for them, mainly to run the business and support an online storefront. as such software development group sensibilities are not well supported by the organization (training, development, etc.).

we had a hard time hiring and some of that was due to benefits being skewed to retail operations. the waiting period for benefits was a big problem.

................

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

time off, perks, promotions, customers

Cons

leadership, training, lack of hours,

Great Place to Work-- As Long As It's Not Your Sole Income

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Working with video games
    - Work with (usually) great people who share your interests
    - Discount and perks
    - Usually works around your schedule

Cons

- Pay vs. effort is inexcusably poor, particularly for upper store management
    - There's a gamer vs. GameStop culture which constantly leads to difficult customer interactions
    - Discount, while nice, is pathetic
    - Upselling is a constant battle-- particularly when you're forced to integrate things gamers don't care about (i.e. iPhones and tablets)

Consider improving your employee culture. You've made some decent steps, but working for GameStop really never feels like you're cared for. I've seen your quarterly profits, you can afford to pay your employees better as well. $.10 yearly raises for Game Advisors is PATHETIC.

Field Management Needs to be Leaders and Motivators

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company very healthy, always thinking about the future with training and new products markets. Great team environment within store. Great customer culture . There are some Great People that work here.

Cons

Field Management doesn't have the buy in so it reflects on the store staff.
    Great computer based training system but no follow up.
    High turnover, working for 5 years had 6 DM's.
    Field Management don't help customers, they avoid them.
    They would rather leave the visit early then to help improve customer service. No matter how long the line is.

You need to know how to do before you show how to do.

Great experience

Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Tracy, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Tracy, CA

I have been working at GameStop full-time

Pros

Playing with games all day helping with preorders and reserves helping people pick out the best games possible having to learn how to use pos

Cons

Not enough hours to give to all employees holidays are the worst days especially when a newest systems come out during that time

Make GameStop about the people!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A great relationship with the management/customers will open doors to getting promoted, whether it be at the same store or another. Taking initiative will get an employee far. Talking about video games is lots of fun, and sets up employees for easy recommendations to newer and regular shoppers. Plenty of skills to learn such as POS usage, sales, and if you move up the ranks, marketing, inventory management, and scheduling. Every experience is subjective to the store and it's management.

Cons

Aggressive goals for preowned sales, reservations, subscriptions, and surveys, but this is nothing new in retail. Compensation could be better, considering the profit margins and aggressive goals of the company. Make sure to be open to customer criticism due to allegedly low trade values and high preowned prices.

A team-based environment is crucial to a store's success. Employees need to feel as if they are working collectively (and not competitively, unless for fun) to promote the wellness of the store location and it's customers.