GameStop Reviews

1578 reviews filtered by
1,578 Reviews
GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines
J. Paul Raines

Pros
  • We know what to recommend because every single one of us plays a lot of video games (in 221 reviews)

• I did check out games for research and give feedback based off my personal experience (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you're upper management you will only get 4-10 hours a week at best (in 128 reviews)

• Work / Life balance is not important, only delivery of moving targets (in 42 reviews)

1. Fast paced, enlightening and stressful at time but enjoyed my job and customers.

Current Employee - Metro Trainer Store Manager
    Current Employee - Metro Trainer Store Manager

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and time off and also a lot of room to grow with the company.

Cons

A lot of changes and very little time to do it in. Also very few hours to run a business on.

Every store needs more hours.

You have to play their game and you will most likely lose.

Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor
    Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, decent benefits for a part time job, ability to check games out for four days, working with video games.

Cons

Little room for advancement in most districts. Stores will have associates with many years of experience that are stuck in their positions due to a lack of spots to move up to. If you manage to secure a store manager position then be prepared to have a salaried 40hr position that commonly works you 60hrs for less than 40k per year.

Promote and pay your associates a living wage.

3. Constantly adapting company

Current Employee - Assistant Retail Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Retail Store Manager

I have been working at GameStop (more than 3 years)

Pros

Your store becomes like a second family if you create that atmosphere. Being a manager you get perks such as free memberships, free merchandise from some companies, good discounts and health benefits

Cons

Pay is not up to par with other companies

5. Fun, but would not stay there for long

I worked at GameStop

Pros

Had a great time getting to know people there, I believe that a lot of the workers there were really awesome people and had a good time working there.

Cons

The tasks for a game adviser might be too much work for the amount of pay that I was receiving. They pushed unrelentlessly for subscriptions and reservations.

6. It felt like family....for awhile

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Riverhead, NY
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Riverhead, NY

I worked at GameStop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the people I worked with, working with a video game company, knowing the ins and outs of gamestop, discount on pre-owned items, free stuff, first manager was awesome

Cons

constant movement of employees, gender discrimination by the new manger (was later fired), pay sucked,

To my new manager, I have an endless list... to the company as a whole spend more time putting together the marketing kits and stop leaving parts out of it, stop firing people to save money, management all depends on who is hired to manage; they could be jerks or they could be awesome

A Love/Hate Relationship

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I am extremely grateful for the opportunities I received over my time with GameStop. I started as a store manager and when I left had been a district manager for several years. I worked with an amazing group of store managers, district manager peers, and store associates, and learned so much about leadership and myself over that time. The opportunities are endless thanks to the company's growth, and unfortunately also due to the increasingly high turnover. If you can survive in GameStop's sales culture with so many priorities to juggle, you can thrive in any other retailer.

Cons

Despite the "Protect The Family" message, associates at all levels often feel like just a (replaceable) number. While this tone of course comes down to the particular manager, it is increasingly pervasive in the company's current climate. At the district level under current leadership we are only as good as the current day's performance, and it is challenging to not pass this unhealthy tone down to the store level. The company's message and direction for the year is promising, but in actual practice will likely not change much. Payroll in stores is absolutely terrible, despite the ever increasing workload. The pressure to stay relevant combined with the tight margins of electronics have led to some of the challenges, but the approach executives have taken to combat this has largely drained the engaging culture that made this a great company of which to be a part.

Put your associates first. YES, Service Matters! However, that applies to our internal customers, not just the external ones. Associates can't be expected to own customer experience to the level needed if leadership doesn't first take care of them. This year's focuses are great in theory, but how much of it will be diluted in the field in actual practice? 83 hours to run a service oriented store is just not realistic with the current operational workload, even with recent reductions. Be careful not to grow the tech brands so fast that focus is lost on the core. Maintain a respectful workplace for all associates at ALL levels.

Like most Fortune 500 retailers, it is a great place to learn an overview of business.

Former Employee - Area Manager in Edinburg, TX
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Edinburg, TX

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are astute and are able to integrate acquired concepts learned through GameStop's training and the experiences gained through trial and error, you will be successful in virtually any business environment.
    The salary was fair, I believe Gamestop pays above US retail averages,perhaps contributed to the uniqueness of the business (i.e. buy sell and trade used merchandise)

Cons

As I said in the Pros section, an astute person is not rare in retail but its not common. Not everyone has the same capacity to understand business concepts the same way, especially without a college education, and as a consequence you have to deal with resistance disguised in many forms. Whether you become management or staff member, you will have someone that cannot comprehend or understand the dynamics of this unique business, even though Gamestop provides a dense manual with instructions of job functions.

Management is fair!

9. Good Part-Time Job

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Herndon, VA

I have been working at GameStop part-time (less than a year)

Pros

There's some good room for promotion; however, working at GameStop was a very good experience for working during school and the summer.

Cons

There is a lot of push for Power Up Rewards card subscriptions, customer surveys, and reserves. This is a very quantitative way of determining how good an employee is. The survey system is a good way to see what a customer thinks of a certain employee, but that can also backfire when the customer deliberately gives the employee a bad review.

Take away the survey system in focusing on the employee and more into the store they go to. If the store manager is competent and cares about the store, then the manager will take care of problem employees.

10. The best environment with "ok" pay.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at GameStop full-time

Pros

As a Store Manager I haven't had to actually buy a game in about a year and the developers have been so great this year that I get so many free that I give them to the rest of the team. It has a semi-relaxed environment. The camaraderie within store and their associates is usually set by the store manager but I've worked in many different stores at every level and they all have great teamwork and set a genuine family atmosphere between team members. Usually when people care for and respect each other they work harder and better toward that common goal of a great store with an awesome environment. The company itself is an extremely progressive company always leaping towards new ventures and investments and if your hungry its easy to move up and navigate through.

Cons

The pay. It's below average and I won't rant but it could definitely be better.

With expanding technologies, partnerships, and companies within the family please remember the bottom of the pole that cranks the mast and raises your sails.

11. Fantastic place to work.

Current Employee - SGA
    Current Employee - SGA

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It feels like working with a family. You just know that the teamwork is perfect everytime and when something's not right, it's fixed. The customer base is also wonderful and servicing them is probably the highlight of the experience.

Cons

Having to push so much sales. While it's needed to make the store function properly, some things need to change in terms of how it's run on a higher scale.

Try to ease on the sales and focus more on the customer service/experience. Customers do not like to be approached about things they've heard over and over before, especially for a store that has consistent customer base.