GameStop

2.8
1,418 Reviews

GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines
J. Paul Raines

Pros
  • We know what to recommend because every single one of us plays a lot of video games (in 221 reviews)

• I did check out games for research and give feedback based off my personal experience (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you're upper management you will only get 4-10 hours a week at best (in 128 reviews)

• Work / Life balance is not important, only delivery of moving targets (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

Games are fun

I have been working at GameStop

Pros

It's a blast to talk about video games all day with a passionate team and great customers. Always in the know with upcoming releases. Free games.

Cons

Not a lot of room for upward mobility once you reach management level. Constantly being micro managed by district managers. Pay is just okay.

Work for a company that empowers the management

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company has been transitioning for the last 5 years in a positive direction. It's no longer a place just for gamers to work. It's a business opportunity, and yes, if you enjoy games, it's one less thing you have to educate yourself on. This company is focused on developing talent pools from within and prefers to internally promote.

Cons

In store level position the main challenge is keeping the drive to consistently train and develop the sales associates. The sales associates pay is minimum wage and typically is college or high school students and which typically don't understand the basic business concepts or are eager to learn. As a leader, you have to constantly be out recruiting to find the right talent and avoid waiting for walk in applicants because more often than not you only get young adults that apply because they love games.

Great for growing up, not great for grown-ups

Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed most of my 6 years there.
    - Meet a ton of fun and interesting people. Many friendships were forged over the years
    - You get to be around games, and people who love games, and people who love to talk about games
    - employee checkout policy - try the games so you don't have to throw money away
    - reasonable discount policy on new and used
    - managers treated to annual conference, usually a destination like Vegas

Cons

Not such a great work/life balance, especially for families
    - bound to the hours of the store
    - deadlines on projects are often without warning, resulting in late nights
    - holiday schedules are grueling - late nights, early hours, black friday, day after christmas
    - semi-annual inventory conducted after hours, resulting in late nights
    - lack of payroll support to maintain supposed customer service standards, burdening staff with overload of customers
    - no real appreciation of efforts - scaling of feedback is heavily weighted towards corrective. They will eat you alive 10 times before they thank you for being tasty.

The Truths of GameStop

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You Get To Rent out Video Games
    Talk About Video Games
    If you are a manager/asm/sm/sga you get free games/merchandise but if you are a lowly store grunt you get close to nothing

Cons

Its Retail its not what everyone expects, its not all video games and fun. You have to go through much customer interaction and mindless pitching of products, memorizing 3 sentence long phone greetings that you must repeat without fail every time you answer a phone, mindless pitching of membership cards, reserving games, trading games in, credit cards, literally you spend most of your transaction trying to harass the customer into buying something they really don't need. Example: "Hi I just want to buy Cal of Duty For the PS4"
    Employee: " Do you want it Pre Owned?"
    Customer: "No, I want a new copy"
    Employee: "But You Save $5 Buying Pre Owned"
    Customer: "No Thanks Just a New Copy"
    Employee: " If You are a Pro Member you get 10% off and save $15 dollars, and if you sign up today you get a Buy 2 get 1 any pre owned game coupon, along with 1 year of Game Informer"
    Customer: " No thank you, just a new copy of Call of Duty"
    Employee: " Okay, would you like to buy the season pass that comes along with this game?"
    Customer: "No"
    Employee: " Why Not, if you buy the season pass now you save $10 by buying all 4 map packs together"
    Customer: "No thanks, Just the Game"
    Employee: "While you are here would you like to pre order Assassins Creed, Grand Theft Auto, Pokemon?"
    Customer: "No"
    Employee: "Gamestop has an all new PowerUp Rewards Credit Card, if you are a Pro Member you get 15,000 points and if you are a Basic you get 5,000 points as well as a $0 Annual Fee with the card, and if you spend more than $500 you get 6 months interest free financing"
    Customer: "I dont need a credit card"
    Employee: "Ok, here is your receipt and on it is a survey in which you can go online and tell GameStop how we did and you get entered for a chance to win a $100 Gamestop Gift Card

Mindless Droning/Harassing Customers with Useless Pitches/Not providing the proper pay and or hours to compensate employees who have to deliver the mindless droning/pitches to the customer

BEST JOB EVER!!!!!!

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at GameStop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employee discount is great, on top of that knowing all the information of the newest games coming is amazing. Checking games out is amazing its like renting games for free, this job is all out amazing.

Cons

nothing that I can think about the company that's bad best job I've ever had I am looking forward to working here for quiet some time.

No advise managers know what they're doing

Decent

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at GameStop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun to work with games, co workers are nice, shifts are not terribly long, time off requests are easily accepted.

Cons

Does not pay very well, usually can not get full time unless you are a manager, sometimes have to work late for events.

A great store with a good variety of games and other stuff.

Current Employee - Cashier in Perry, OK
    Current Employee - Cashier in Perry, OK

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A good reason for working at GameStop so i can be around games all day and see what ever one else are interested in, and maybe play the game they just bought.

Cons

A big con is that they don't have a store in Perry, OK mainly because there are allot of games and to get good games people have to drive along way just to get to a GameStop

There's a Time and a Place to Work Everywhere, Including Here.

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Austin, TX

I worked at GameStop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You're basically paid to talk about video games, learn about them, and help customers make educated decisions about their gaming needs. Most store managers I've worked with have been casual and friendly towards their workers. You don't need to actually learn skills or prove yourself to get promoted; you just need to last longer than anyone else(both a pro and a con, depending on your views)

Cons

Pay, benefits, and the stress of hitting your numbers. They actually tried making coworkers compete with one another for most sales, trades, etc. Even if you only work once a week, you compare your hourly average to the managers who are there during peak hours. Another period, they made us sign a contract agreeing to shove a piece of paper in the hands of every person who walked through the door. Not advisable as a long-term career, because they have nowhere to go; steam and amazon do everything they do better.

To those ranking above store manager: Cut the crap, and stop forcing your stores to do stupid stuff like trade fliers. Give the store managers more freedom with their stores.

Gamestop

Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are really chill , you get discount on games , easy job.

Cons

Number , Goals , People

Leadership we need it

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Gamestop is all about Leadership. If you can lead others in an ethical way then this is a great job. You have more friendly customers then not. not much is left to the imagination in what needs to be done. Or how it needs to be done. All information is provided and you are in control of your future with the company. By doing setting and meeting your expectations.

Cons

Sometimes there is a lot to get done. It helps if you can delegate tasks to other employees. When hiring people whom don't understand that Gamestop is a Business they don't take it seriously. They think they can just chat about games when there is a lot more then just that do. It can bog you down.

I believe that there is a lot expected but not anything to crazy. It is a job that if you like challenges then it's for you. Maybe the only thing that bothers me is when you forward and email to me that was sent to both you and myself. Like I did not see it. But I know it's just because you want to know about that email and what I have to say about it.