GameStop Reviews

2.8
1,298 Reviews

GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines
J. Paul Raines

Pros
  • We know what to recommend because every single one of us plays a lot of video games (in 195 reviews)

• You get a discount on purchases, and you can check out games for four days (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you're upper management you will only get 4-10 hours a week at best (in 110 reviews)

• You get paid just above minimum wage with the responsibility of a store manager (in 76 reviews)

More Highlights

Is not a company you will financially benifit from unless your starting off from a management position.

Current Employee - Game Advisor  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at GameStop part-time for less than a year

Pros

good discount, very flexible schelude,

Cons

way more life than work balance, short to no hours, sales driven

Need more communication to game advisors when the schelude is not made so they will know when to come in instead of your employees calling up to 4 days to find out when they work

Started great but just started going downhill after that

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  DFW, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in DFW, TX

I worked at GameStop full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It all depends on your management. I've had great teams and I've had horrible teams. I got to sell what I love and enjoyed talking to my customers about it. If you do your job they way they want, you'll be respected.

Cons

Extremely bad about work/life balance, 60+ hour work weeks 6+ days a week at the store was regular. Min 44 hrs is what they tell you you can work but if you do you need to explain your reasons as to why you only worked 44 (which is very rare that you get the chance to). Extremely hard to move up in the company store wise especially when your manager likes where you are because it makes them look better. Everything is micro managed

More bonuses and contests, More payroll hours, Better discounts

A fun job, but no idea how an employee could survive.

Former Employee - Game Advisor  in  Florence, KY
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Florence, KY

I worked at GameStop part-time for less than a year

Pros

-10% discount on everything in the store
    -Great atmosphere to practice customer service and sales
    -Growing product offerings like pre-owned smart phones and tablets
    -The CEO seems to know what needs to be done when it comes to customer focus, employee knowledge, and making sure gamers get the most out of their purchases through DLC, addons, accessories, etc.

Cons

-The list of sales, promotions, and specials for pre-order customers is massive and always changing. It's really hard to give customers the best experience you can by knowing your product when you might only get 10 hours a week to even be aware of what's going on.
    -PowerUp training lags out the Point of Sale system so badly it makes training frustrating to get through. When the training windows are up, the PoS runs painfully slow, making checking out or helping a customer take much longer than normal. Also, the PowerUp interface could use some work. The usable resolution (highest resolution setting crashes the PoS frequently) on the PoS is smaller than the training, so scrolling around and having "Continue" buttons in awkward places adds to the training frustration.

All of these suggestions are for upper management. My store manager did a great job with what he had to work with.
    -I would suggest not telling people that you're giving an "anonymous" survey to your employees when most stores only have a handful, especially if you're going to have their managers give them a password which is unique to each employee. It's not hard to figure out who said what if something has to be addressed.
    -Budgeting hours at the very last minute is frustrating to your managers and employees. Every week it seemed like Gamestop was about to go under. I felt like they were running such small cash reserves it was impossible to do anything but budget hours by the week at the very end of the preceding week.
    -Update your PoS terminals so they can actually have a couple screens open at once. There's nothing worse than trying to go above and beyond with extra training and product knowledge, yet regular operations take forever due to the effort.
    -Get some hours to your store employees! For the love of God, I know you're not happy with Obamacare, but if you want your entry level to your company to be attractive to skilled and passionate young people, you're going to have to squeeze in some training and working hours. I'd say my average was 10 when I really would have liked somewhere around 20, and I know nobody except for the store manager and assistant were getting any kind of time in store. For most people I know part time work equals part time commitment. I know a lot of people that would make Gamestop's sales an even greater success but just can't commit because of needing more of an investment in their development in the beginning through floor experience. This would allow them to focus on the job instead of coordinating between two or three 10 hour a week jobs.
    Even with all of my concerns about the execution of some of these things, I feel the company strives for excellence, but is not always successful. It's understandable that a company based on the secondary market would be preparing itself for a swift exit if their model was no longer viable, which almost happened in the current PS4/XB1 console generation. I enjoyed my time there, but I never felt like my district manager on up ever had an idea about the seasonal and title specific tendencies in the game retail sector. Goals were not set by the managers that know the area, but rather by some upper level operations manager spreadsheeting his/her way to job justification. Centralization can be great, but I think that store managers lacked empowerment, and in turn so did employees, due to the distance between the doers and the planners.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enjoyable Work Environment

I have been working at GameStop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is a lot of room for advancement and promotion, and corporate works hard to provide incentives for employees. The small store settings allows for a familiarity between team members and customers rather than making people 'another face in the crowd'. When corporate tries something new, if it doesn't work it's changed or scrapped, and if it works it's kept. Sometimes this can get a little frustrating, but really shows that the upper level cares about the thoughts and ideas of the retail level employees.

Cons

It is retail, so it goes without saying that there will always be a focus on sales and numbers, but that is an obvious downside of retail in general. The working atmosphere is interesting enough to make up for the sales aspect. Being a part-timer gets stressful with the fluctuation of hours, but working hard and doing what you should pays off. They pay attention to the ones who do great; it can be a quick trip up the ladder to management.

Gamestop is a fun environment to work in.

Former Employee - Senior Database Administratior  in  Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Database Administratior in Grapevine, TX

I worked at GameStop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Gamestop has a friendly working environment with open communication from management.

Cons

It's very hard to get a pay raise in the IT department.

Take reviews more serious and try to stay more competitive with salaries.

Satisfying place to work.

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Saugus, MA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Saugus, MA

I have been working at GameStop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Gamers will enjoy the customer experience. Being able to talk about video games all day, as well as the 15% discount on new games, will encourage any job seeking gamer to at least apply.

Cons

-No Bonuses
    -Long Hours
    -You are often working alone with multiple tasks to complete and customers to help, all at once.

-More bonuses and contests
    -Better discounts
    -More payroll hours

Can be good, can be really bad

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Norfolk, VA

I worked at GameStop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cons

Lots of pushing of, well, everything. It is hard to have a normal conversation or sale with a customer without getting yelled at because you didn't try to sell every promotion in the store.

For the amount that everyone is doing, compensation isn't much at all. Also, the GA position is almost a joke because it is really only 3 hours a week long, SOMETIMES more if you are lucky. I just really hated the bare minimum hours that each store received.

Great work experience with lots of potential for growth.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at GameStop full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Gamestop really cares about their associates. They have multiple resources available to assist us in times of need and they really go out of their way to make us all feel like family.
    Fun, team based atmosphere. You get to talk about video games all day.
    Lots of contests and incentives to get associates to drive results.
    Very transparent management. They keep associates up to date with everything going on, even when it concerns personal matters such as Paul Raines recent surgery.

Cons

Not the best job for those with kids. Typical manager schedule is 830-6 or 12-930, and it's hard to have the flexibility to get out to pick up a kid when needed. If you're single or married without kids with a spouse that will understand you not always being home on time, you'll be ok.
    Very sales driven company. On the flip side, if you do the job you are paid to do, you should be fine.

Decent, depends on who you work with

I have been working at GameStop

Pros

Discount, flexible hours, game rentals, people, face-to-face experiences

Cons

Low morale and low pay, no room to move up in the company.

Give your senior employees a raise and benefits.

Not the best but not the worst

Current Employee - SGA  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - SGA in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at GameStop part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people that you work with are always the highlight of your day, the customer base is hit or miss but usually very friendly, and the environment is casual and pleasant.

Cons

Moving up in the company itself it a tiresome task, there is little to no compensation for driving long distances for hand carry travel, and there is no holiday pay for part time associates ( even keyholders ) whether or not they work on a holiday.

Work on treating all of you associates the same. If you work on a holiday then you should be paid time and a half.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!