GameStop

2.7 1,197 reviews

GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines

J. Paul Raines

1,197 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "The main benefit of working at Gamestop is because you love video games"
    in 185 reviews
  • "You get a discount on purchases, and you can check out games for four days"
    in 42 reviews
Cons:
  • "Unless you're upper management you will only get 4-10 hours a week at best"
    in 98 reviews
  • "You get paid just above minimum wage with the responsibility of a store manager"
    in 73 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great experience Customers were the best!

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Westland, MI

ProsThe product is easy and fun!

ConsSchedule could be better for work/life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementRevamp the loyalty program to make it easier to sell.

Work hard and you can advance to corporate.

IT Manager (Former Employee)
    Grapevine, TX

ProsIf you have a desire to learn they will send you to trainings so that you can move up in the company.

ConsSometimes it feels like you have to work thankless hours. But what job doesn't.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is vital all the way down the line.

Great company to work for in upper management.

District Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFun place to work in a fast pace environment. You need to be capable of changing and adapting to new strategic initiatives if you want to be successful. Unlike what some think this will not be the next Blockbuster.

ConsLong hours especially for the store manager. It gets better once you make it to the DM roll, but you will still put in 50 to 60 hours a week during mon-peak months and more during the holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecrease hours for the store manager or increase hours. You can either work them long hours or have low pay you can't do both.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent employer, terrible raises

Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Grapevine, TX

ProsGreat schedule at the corporate office

ConsAlmost impossible to move up, and the raises are small

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting people based on promises and promote based on performance

Temp Holiday Worker

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLaid back employees and management

ConsHave to stand all day

It's fun, but doesn't pay very well.

Game Advisor (Current Employee)
    Searcy, AR

ProsI really enjoy working here! It's an industry that I love, and I'm happy I get to be a part of it. All GameStop retail employees also get to "check out" games from the store so they can have a good understanding of the merchandise for sale.

ConsUsed games do hurt the industry, and I do feel a little guilty about being a part of that. Also, GameStop will pay you whatever they can get by with. I've seen the vast amounts of profit our store alone takes in, and I still get paid the bare minimum. I've worked hard and have been trying to get promoted, but the company keeps hiring people that have never worked for GameStop before, making me feel stuck in my low-level position with minimal pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote within the company instead of hiring new people.

Great colleagues, awful practices.

SGA (Former Employee)
    Brunswick, GA

ProsFun discussions with customers and other employees.

ConsReally pushy sales tactics used on customers - to the point that costumers didn't want to return.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider not hurting employees because of numbers.

I was given many opportunities for advancement and taught many skills that have been helpful in all aspects.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    Grapevine, TX

ProsConstant environment changes, always new opportunities

ConsDiverse culture can prove too sensative, many different management outlooks

Advice to Senior ManagementRather than all managers running departments their own way, it may help morale for all departments to be kept with identical rules and guidance

Nine years later..

General/Area Manager (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

Pros-Fun. Actually, truly fun. stressful, irritating, beautiful fun.
    -Great job if you have an awesome team working above and below.
    -Good pay for what you're doing...

Cons...- if you weren't for the fact that you will - inevitably - work more than the required 44-52 hours.
    -Tedium and monotony. you will do a lot of the same things every day, of every week, for every year. The selling part is actually the best part, as each customer brings their own opportunity to break up the repetitive drone of cleaning, filing, counting, cataloging, documenting, and so on.
    -Getting promoted internally is akin to given oneself an appendectomy. This company prefers to hire externally - and on the cheap.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't threaten your employees. There is a HUGE fear culture, and once it starts, it will trickle through the very marrow of your staff. I took a 'teach and trust' approach, with regular follow ups. Wouldn't you know, I was in the top 10% of the company for nearly three years. Left this company to go after better career opportunities (in hours, expertise, and pay). At the end, was oversight in multiple stores, still directly responsible for one, and had, at average, 12 employees under me, and was only making $46K for over 55 hours of work each week. I have gray hairs on parts of my body that should never have gray hairs...

A decent retail job with fun staff sullied by terrible upper management and poor pay.

Senior Game Advisor (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

Pros-Easy to build good relationships with staff while talking about video games all day
    -Solidarity between stores and current/former employees seems unique and helps if you're trasferred
    -Typically interested customers who value your opinion (most of the time)

Cons-Terrible pay and poorly delegated hours
    -Upper management has no understanding of how to promote games and game culture
    -Unrealistic daily sales goals leave most staff fearing for their jobs or "strikes" against them every week.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't motivate your staff with threats to get them to work harder. You pay them low enough already, so you might as well boost their morale while working on fairly repetitive, menial tasks.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GameStop reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines. All 1,197 reviews posted anonymously by GameStop employees.