GameStop Reviews

2.8
1,322 Reviews

GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines
J. Paul Raines

Pros
  • We know what to recommend because every single one of us plays a lot of video games (in 208 reviews)

• Simple repetitive tasks and the ability to check out games for a short time (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you're upper management you will only get 4-10 hours a week at best (in 121 reviews)

• Work / Life balance is not important, only delivery of moving targets (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

I like the job yet there are issues

Current Employee - Game Advisor  in  Bridgehampton, NY
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Bridgehampton, NY

I have been working at GameStop part-time for less than a year

Pros

The best reasons for working there are the games you can rent, free swag, and the discounts

Cons

Can't play in any scheduled tourneys, I barely get any hours. About 3 a week!!!! They hired me part time, I expected to get at least 20!!!

My higher up is a little slow at getting things done; I asked for direct deposit, filled out the forms, handed them to him and I didn't get it filed until about 4 months later. Currently, I am on "leave" because of a medical issue. I asked my employer for a letter saying I am not working as of right now (5 months!). He told me he would put me on medical leave but he couldn't since I rarely work more than 4 hours a week. I then had to call and ask 2 times for that letter, which he denied, saying he wouldn't be in on Sunday! He was there then and he didn't write it or even think of emailing it to me. I am trying apply for disability, and he's asking when I will be back but I need the letter to apply. It's frustrating and frankly, I'm sick of him taking his time to do things. He also told me I was messing up his store because he couldn't put me on medical leave and then made no attempt to write the letter.

Not to bad

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at GameStop full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You sell entertainment and fun

Cons

To many tracked sales quotas.

Fun times

I worked at GameStop

Pros

Had a lot of fun working there

Boss was good

Cons

Cant think of much really

None

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work at

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at GameStop full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Awesome people to work with. Great benefits even as part-time. Great place to meet new people. Fun place to work at. Great opportunity to move up in the company. Very easy if you're enthusiastic and a people person.

Cons

A lot of pressure on sales and meeting sales goals. Low hours for entry positions unless you work at a high volume store.

Great company and the people are amazing

I worked at GameStop

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

I don't really have anything negative to say.

Meh...

I have been working at GameStop full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

As a store manager you get plenty of free stuff, some is awesome some is junk. If you can get your store doing well you can have a good work/life balance

Cons

The problems of retail + the company is struggling to find its future, the training is structured solely by the store manager and thus can be very different from store to store. Many managers have a "Do it or you'll get a write up" kind of feel to the store and even upper management has a grading system that has nothing to do with numbers and is structured around how they simply assume your store to be. Almost no hours for staff and staffing expectations set high to compensate for low buy in of employees.

I'd build a real training program and an actual way to make it work.

Cool people, awful company.

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at GameStop part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great co-workers. Management was easy going and fun to work with. It's a nice job to have as a student or an on-the-side part time gig.

Cons

Forced to push a ridiculous amount of promotions for awful compensation. Lowest pay-to-work ratio retailer ever.

Start paying employees commission.

Good management team

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Grapevine, TX

I worked at GameStop as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Managers were reasonable, listened well, accessible.

Cons

If contracting, assume you be released just before the contract ends.

None

GameStop is unrelentingly corporate, but the people there are amazing.

Former Employee - Third Key  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Third Key in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at GameStop full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the best ways to get your foot in the door is to apply right before the Holidays, and then just work as hard as possible, taking any and all time offered. You'll be in an exhausting environment, but the people around you will have similar interests and passions, and your team will become a family.

Cons

Having to push pre-orders and rewards cards. Yes, there is a good reason behind this, but there is WAY too much importance placed on those numbers. It's like standardized tests not being a full representation of your value. It has NOTHING to do with how many games you sell, systems, or how great you are with customers. It just reflects how relentless you are with asking.

Provide clearer paths and open doors to upward movement in the company. Sometimes just letting the staff know that all they have to do is let you know they're interested in moving up is enough.

I wish there was more of a focus on career nurturing than just making sure your staff is filled at all times.

Too much work for too little pay

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at GameStop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The position gives you the experience you need to get another job with better benefits. It was nice learning about advances in the video game industry and being able to talk about it with fellow coworkers and customers

Cons

Workload is pretty high if you are in management, especially if other management in your store is lazy or poorly trained. Little time for personal training to move up or improve. If you are female, forget about equal pay.

If you are going to require employees to have an extensive product and service knowledge, pay them adequately and don't short change stores on the number of employees they can have. It is very difficult to achieve the desired productivity from employees when they are overworked and underpaid.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!