GameStop Reviews

1,937 Employee Reviews

1. Not a bad place if you have no other options

Former Employee - Store Manager in Morgan City, LA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Morgan City, LA

Pros

Great employee discount, good atmosphere in the store depending on the manager, excellent free promo products and games, company conference is amazing

Cons

Sales goals can be a bit unreasonable, too many changes to store layout and procedure, mid level management can be inconsistant

2. Okay...

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at GameStop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at the store level is okay, it depends on your management team. I had a good Senior Game Advisor and Assistant Store Manager, but I didn't like my Store Manager. I didn't like her because she would choose favorites and overlook your sales and promote someone who wasn't doing well numbers wise. Be careful of the favoritism in the company.

Cons

Favoritism in management. Unwilling to teach non-management even when asked about something a management member does. Store Manager and above (district managers and regional managers) don't seem to care about anything non-management has to say.

Advice to Management

Start treating all of your employees like you treat your managers. Listen to any non-employees when they ask about the company or something. Have management that's willing to train non-management in something they might do. Have a fast track promotion program that gives non-management the opportunity to learn more.

Great company

Current Employee - Store Manager in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at GameStop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can go far in a company that has longevity. Excellent benefits and service matters focus for those who enjoy customer service. Support is always there from multiple SSC departments.

Cons

At times your recognized by certain metric factors even though the company has moved away from the "Legacy" thinking. Payroll can be harsh at times, alone in the store and unable to assist customers within company expectation.

Advice to Management

If you enjoy store management, you can last long in this company. Make smart hiring decisions and train associates to assist in clearing weekly tasks to allow focus on customer service during the middle and end of week.

5. Can't complain.

I worked at GameStop part-time

Pros

Interact with people of similar interests Keep up to date with current industry news That's about all I have to say about that.

Cons

The management, oh the management. A lot of the times the only real interactions I had with anyone in a management position was through phone calls. It wouldn't hurt if they were a lot more personal.

Advice to Management

Show up face to face sometimes instead of just being a voice on the other side of a phone, but other than that my time there was alright.

6. Working at Gamestop

Former Employee - Game Advisor

I worked at GameStop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount off any purchases free rentals for employees great staff fun and geeky environment

Cons

A little disorganized. Small store(mine personally)

7. SGA

Pros

Was pretty relax at most times

Cons

Didn't make much money and the manager only cared about the company making money.

8. An alright job

Former Employee - Game Advisor

Pros

*15% discount and 25% if you have their pro membership and during holiday I believe you get an extra 10% for a couple of days *occasional free game goodies a.k.a free beta codes or demo *interacting with fellow gamers

Cons

*pushing memberships/credit cards/ and pre orders on customers is not fun whatsoever

Advice to Management

This is more for corporate or whoever is in charge , pushing memberships/preorders: and credit cards is not the way to go if you want repeat consumers. People feel harassed and attacked when your trying to sell all these things to them and I know personally from customer feedback. Adding credit cards to the mix made it even worse and you can tell the mangers of your store surely get stressed about these things. I understand gamestop is a business perhaps you could've went about this a different way. Also it mainly seemed liked many of the store managers only reaped the benefits/goods of working there,show some love to your assistant store mangers as well I know some of them enjoy the goods just as much as the store managers did and I wasn't even one of them.

9. Very cool just need to lower prices on pre owned.

Pros

It's cool and you have fun talking to other video gamers.

Cons

Really there is no hard thing or problems working there

Advice to Management

Lower the prices on pre owned

10. Not bad

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at GameStop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Relatively easy work; nothing back breaking, free games and consoles, flexible scheduling

Cons

Work/life balance, I work a lot of hours and most major holidays, only 4 paid holidays, little room for advancement

Advice to Management

The store manager position is not bad the expectations are reasonable, the company has moved away from reservations and power ups and is focused on profitability and sales dollars

Assistant Store Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Near full-time hours -Great experience to put on a resume -Enough work that you can do to really show your drive for promotion

Cons

-Your expected workload is huge, and the pay is not nearly worth it -You are expected to go out of your way to do a lot of things

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better, you certainly arent paying them nearly enough for the jobs they do, and you can definitely afford to with the amount of money you make.

Showing 1,937 of 1,953 reviews