GameStop Reviews

1. Great place to work

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Short Hills, NJ
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Short Hills, NJ

I worked at GameStop

Pros

Interesting, engaging, genre specific, it definitely helps if you like games, a generally fun place to work

Cons

Demanding, sometimes events happen without game advisors being informed, a few other minor things not worth much mention

Advice to Management

Scheduling should possibly be addressed, as in helping employees find out what their schedules are easier. I certainly had difficulty with that and ended up having to go into the store at the start of each week to ask what my hours were

2. Bleh

I worked at GameStop part-time

Pros

discounts, cool people to work with, game sign outs

Cons

Dealing with customers, getting numbers, constant change in management.

Assistant Manager of GameStop

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun people to work with, customers are also gamers that u can relate to, always something to keep busy

Cons

Not enough labor, can work alone for 6+ hours, serialized trade-ins can take 20+min, corporate can give more required projects than possible, small staff means harder to find coverage or extra help.

Advice to Management

Try not to get overwhelmed, try to keep things organized as you go or things can quickly become chaotic, bring food with you (especially when opening) because you will rarely be able to leave the building.

5. Fun place to work.

I worked at GameStop

Pros

Fun place to work if your into gaming. That was my favorite part of this specific job. Also very flexible in general.

Cons

No cons at all if you like gaming! I really have nothing bad at all to talk about in this review.

I love my job!

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Toms River, NJ
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Toms River, NJ

I have been working at GameStop (Less than a year)

Pros

-The customers are great and love games as much as you do! -25% off pre-owned games, 15% off pre-owned consoles -Rent any game -Great opportunities to meet fellow gamers

Cons

-Not many hours unless you are a Key Holder/In a manager position -Long time on your feet -Rude customers

7. Wonderful Company To Start At

I worked at GameStop full-time

Pros

Gain experience, rapid promotion based on competency, SOME creative control

Cons

Long hours, you are a martyr for customers to throw stones (complaints and insults) at.

Advice to Management

Good luck with taking away rankings. Rankings are so fully ingrained into retail culture that I predict you will bring them back within 1-2 years.

Fun for a time

Former Employee - Store Manager in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Shreveport, LA

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Games!, interacting with gamers, going to conference, networking with other companies to do big events

Cons

District management and above, corp didn't care about the workers in stores, payroll was always low but expectations was always high. You will work more than 44 hours a week if you care about your store because the payroll hurt it overall.

Could be better/Could be worse

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at GameStop (More than a year)

Pros

Fun talking to customers Borrow and discounts games promote from within if you can sell you can make it in gamestop

Cons

Not enough coverage in the mornings can be dangerous Management only cares about numbers and not customer service Very stressful at times

10. Great environment in-store, HOWEVER ...

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at GameStop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on who you work with, great in-store atmosphere. If you love gaming, you'll fit right in with the clientele -- most of the time. See Cons. Great perks for employees (check-out system, employee discount can be combined with PURP discount).

Cons

Upper management seems unwilling to support entry-level staff. Hours are hard to come by (or were in my district) for people in my position. Not for people without other sources of income or facing real bills (i.e. living alone and paying all of their own expenses). If you work here as a woman, prepare for your clientele to treat you like garbage.

Advice to Management

Consider hiring fewer GAs for more hours rather than keeping five GAs at 10 hours per week or less. Develop policies to protect female-identified workers from suffering abuse from clientele. Overall I loved my time with this company but if I were to look for a new retail position I'm not sure I would go back to any other GameStop location but my original, without these changes.

11. GameStop is a great company to work for. Great environment and it's awesome to talk about games in exchange for money!

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at GameStop part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment. Easy jobs. Get to talk about games all day. Make customers happy when you know what you're talking about. Flexible work schedules.

Cons

There is not a lot of room for promotion. Sometimes get angry customers. Hourly wages for Game Advisors is low and hard to get raises.

Showing 1,868 of 1,884 reviews