GameStop

2.9
1,434 Reviews

GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines
J. Paul Raines

Pros
  • We know what to recommend because every single one of us plays a lot of video games (in 221 reviews)

• I did check out games for research and give feedback based off my personal experience (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you're upper management you will only get 4-10 hours a week at best (in 128 reviews)

• Work / Life balance is not important, only delivery of moving targets (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

There's a Time and a Place to Work Everywhere, Including Here.

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Austin, TX

I worked at GameStop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You're basically paid to talk about video games, learn about them, and help customers make educated decisions about their gaming needs. Most store managers I've worked with have been casual and friendly towards their workers. You don't need to actually learn skills or prove yourself to get promoted; you just need to last longer than anyone else(both a pro and a con, depending on your views)

Cons

Pay, benefits, and the stress of hitting your numbers. They actually tried making coworkers compete with one another for most sales, trades, etc. Even if you only work once a week, you compare your hourly average to the managers who are there during peak hours. Another period, they made us sign a contract agreeing to shove a piece of paper in the hands of every person who walked through the door. Not advisable as a long-term career, because they have nowhere to go; steam and amazon do everything they do better.

To those ranking above store manager: Cut the crap, and stop forcing your stores to do stupid stuff like trade fliers. Give the store managers more freedom with their stores.

A great store with a good variety of games and other stuff.

Current Employee - Cashier in Perry, OK
    Current Employee - Cashier in Perry, OK

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A good reason for working at GameStop so i can be around games all day and see what ever one else are interested in, and maybe play the game they just bought.

Cons

A big con is that they don't have a store in Perry, OK mainly because there are allot of games and to get good games people have to drive along way just to get to a GameStop

Gamestop

Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are really chill , you get discount on games , easy job.

Cons

Number , Goals , People

Leadership we need it

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Gamestop is all about Leadership. If you can lead others in an ethical way then this is a great job. You have more friendly customers then not. not much is left to the imagination in what needs to be done. Or how it needs to be done. All information is provided and you are in control of your future with the company. By doing setting and meeting your expectations.

Cons

Sometimes there is a lot to get done. It helps if you can delegate tasks to other employees. When hiring people whom don't understand that Gamestop is a Business they don't take it seriously. They think they can just chat about games when there is a lot more then just that do. It can bog you down.

I believe that there is a lot expected but not anything to crazy. It is a job that if you like challenges then it's for you. Maybe the only thing that bothers me is when you forward and email to me that was sent to both you and myself. Like I did not see it. But I know it's just because you want to know about that email and what I have to say about it.

Been here for 7 years, the company cares, but not enough.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are a gamer, being able to spend your day talking to people who are as enthusiastic about what you love as you are can be a rewarding experience, and less mind numbing than other retail jobs.
    Store-Teams. Though GameStop is corporation, as a Store Manager, I am able to run my store like a franchise. I do my own hiring, coaching, development, and am able to make empowered choices about the way my store functions.
    'Protect the Famiy' GameStop is serious about ensuring all associates feel welcome, safe, and has really driven the Diversity goals up in the past few years. With the start of the GameFund, employees can now help each other directly in times of need. This includes illness, disaster, death, and homelessness.
    Store Managers get a lot of gifts from the vendors, games, consoles, etc. We are able to share these with our teams, and it helps us know the product better as well as feel appreciated.
    Internal Growth - More often than not, you see promotions coming from within, rather than someone being hired from the outside,.
    Conference -- For Store Managers, we get a week away from the stores each year to go somewhere and see sneak-peeks at the upcoming games and tech, as well as be given lots of gifts and some free time away from work. It is a great experience and good for team building, all expenses paid by the company aside from alcohol.
    Customer Loyalty - There are those who are completely loyal to GameStop, it is where they go to hang out, it's their favorite place to shop, and you will find yourself invested in these people emotionally. They become that friend you get used to seeing everyday.
    Insurance offered to all associates - From GA's to DM's, we are all offered the chance at insurance on many levels, including access to a 24 hour free line for non-emergency things like Pink Eye that save money.

Cons

Leadership on a DM and higher level; There are so many inconsistencies with the messages that are being delivered that it often leaves store teams scrammbling.
    'Busy Work' Constant projects, tasks, and having to do and re-do the same things over and over creates a ton of work that causes issues in customer service, stress on store teams, and delays actual productivity.
    Flat Out Lies -- When the idea of the PUR Credit Card was introduced and there was a company wide backlash from Managers and their teams, we were promised, directly, that there would not be goals set for the PUR Credit Card. It was a tool for customers and nothing more. The moment it launched, they slammed us with goals that were unrealistic and unattainable, it also left Store Managers trying to explain to their teams why they have been reassured that there would not be goals, when now there was so much pressure.
    All of Nothing -- Everything is at a 10 for the company, everything is leveled as the most important thing and it makes it impossible to find an area to focus on, that will not lead to trouble for the teams if anything else slips. I have been with the company for 7 years and climbed from a seasonal GA (entry level) to a Store Manager. I have seen and experienced this at every level, and it is maddening.
    Wages - From entry level to store management, GameStop still does not offer competitive wages. Starting at minimum as a non-negotiable, it is impossible to live off of the wage as an Assistant Store Manager or Store Manager on your own if you have any other bills (car payments, etc).

Be vocal, share your ideas, they do encourage empowered leadership and the squeaky wheel does get the oil. It is a great place to get experience in retail if that is what you are going for.

way to go!

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at GameStop part-time

Pros

Great place to work, fun customers (most of the time)

Cons

Managers sometimes get their positions without really being qualified

Be aware of what is going on in your stores and who's working there.

It's Okay if you can handle it.

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Catonsville, MD
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Catonsville, MD

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you can handle retail and like video games, it's a good place to work. My managers have all been excellent.

Cons

The hours for GAs are awful. I never get more than two days a week. Some weeks I get one day. The salary isn't great, either.

The payroll budget could use some improving.

GameStop is a marvelous place to work with people and items you'll love.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

GameStop is the best store for anyone to buy great discounted games. The salaries are fair and reasonable. You get the experience of a life time.

Cons

The hours are poorly delegated and the lower working people don't get treated as well as we'd like to. If you want good pay you have to go through a lot to earn it.

Treat everyone equally and we all started out at the same positions so it's time to remember where you came from.

GA

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at GameStop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discounts
    People I work with
    Flexible with college schedule

Cons

Sometimes the hours
    If your a holiday hire, good luck.

Doing alright.

Not an Awful Job

I have been working at GameStop

Pros

If you enjoy videogames sometimes its good

Cons

Lots of pressure to push certain products and its always changing