GameStop

2.9
1,439 Reviews

GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines
J. Paul Raines

Pros
  • We know what to recommend because every single one of us plays a lot of video games (in 221 reviews)

• I did check out games for research and give feedback based off my personal experience (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you're upper management you will only get 4-10 hours a week at best (in 128 reviews)

• Work / Life balance is not important, only delivery of moving targets (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

Not an Awful Job

I have been working at GameStop

Pros

If you enjoy videogames sometimes its good

Cons

Lots of pressure to push certain products and its always changing

Assistant Store Manager...great unless LP hates you!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best part about gamestop is you get to try games for 4 days, you get cool stuff often, including free games sometimes. You receive a 15% discount on most purchases, flexible scheduling, some of the best regular customers

Cons

Management has very shady rules and bend them to fit different associates. One customer allowing another to a power up card for his friends or others can get you fired, unless you are a special employee...They do not take ANYTHING into account. You can bust your butt for the company and win contests and help your store be the best in the district and company and it will get you no where.

Better training. There should be finite rules for all. No special treatment. If you work hard, then you are rewarded, but when you skimp out on your tasks you should be punished. Management doesn't write up enough so employees know what to change and they don't give positive feedback enough to let them know how amazing they are doing.

Don't work here.

Former Employee - Game Adviser in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Game Adviser in Broomfield, CO

I worked at GameStop

Pros

If you're lucky you will get hired in a store with cool people. Most of the time co-workers are fun to chat with. You get to work with video games, midnight launches can be fun depending on the game and the crowd. There is a 15% discount on most merchandise and 25% during the holidays.
    You get 3-4 hours a week so work-life balance is ridiculous.

Cons

There is a 15% discount on most merchandise and 25% during the holidays... if you can afford anything. Hours are scarce as a game adviser this job is a joke and you will receive a bi-weekly allowance. The amount of work put in and the pay make this job awful. There is no integrity, ethic or value in this company as they are too small to care about a majority of things. The store manager pretended to give out rewards to motivate employees, that never happened and we didn't even receive positive feedback for things we did right. During the interview they said there are opportunities to quickly be promoted, that is a joke too. My time there they hired two supervisors and an assistant manager from outside of the company. As for training, good luck you'll be lucky if someone has worked there long enough to teach you a thing or two.
    No extra pay for midnight launches either. Most stores offer extra money with hourly for working late, not Gamestop.

Get rid of "key holders" and instead train game advisers to take their place. Offering more hours and giving others the difference in pay the key holder position would make to the game advisers. There really is no reason to have a supervisor in a store that is so small. Also if you're working with limited hours it would be best to find employees who are dedicated and hard working rather than giving 10 people 3 to 4 hours a week. Seriously it is a joke. Corporate needs to stop making dumb decisions and work with what they have. For example the gamestop credit card is awful. Make more incentive for people to sign up by offering more deals on pre-owned. Take advantage of the market with pre-owned that is you're only tool and with the cost-plus ratio it makes up the majority of your profit so find items that are over 100% cost-plus and offer deals with credit card holders. Moving more product would make up the sacrifice in cost difference.
    Don't punish store hours because the idiots running the fortune 500 company don't know what their doing.

Easy to learn environment, little adherence to policy in order to please customers. Almost no room for advancement.

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun work environment. Be around video games and events are fun.
    Flexible work hours.

Cons

Little to no room for advancement and communication needs serious improvement.
    Frivolous and unnecessary changes to marketing every week.
    It's like working for someone new every single week.

All stores work differently. Keep expectations manageable and realistic.
    Listen to employees a little more and policies shouldn't be as lenient just to please customers.

GA

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at GameStop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discounts
    People I work with
    Flexible with college schedule

Cons

Sometimes the hours
    If your a holiday hire, good luck.

Doing alright.

Excellent Corporate Leadership

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at the corporate office has been an excellent experience. There is no perfect workplace, but GameStop does a great job in striving to provide the best work environment possible.
     - Fun atmosphere while creating an unrelenting emphasis on providing the best possible solution to our internal customers.
     - GameStop is an incredible corporate giver. We have multiple ways to give to the community through the Ronald McDonald House, Make a Wish, and support of our veterans.
     - The company really does care about the employees.
     - The ability for career progression. I've seen several employees promoted from within.

Cons

For me it's location... 25 mile drive to and from work. However, it's worth the drive.

Keep the communication up about the strategy of the company. For corporate office employees, it would probably help to remove the 90 day delay for benefits.

Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Boynton Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Boynton Beach, FL

I worked at GameStop

Pros

It was nice to be able to check out nearly any game that is available for sale.

Cons

Never received 40 hours a week but yet was still full time. Only the store managers ever received free stuff. Employees could check out a new game and then sell it to a customer. The pay was absolutely terrible for a supposed full-time job.

Consider giving the assistant managers some perks for working there because the pay isn't enough.

Fun retail job but not a good long term option

Former Employee - Game Advisor in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in San Antonio, TX

I worked at GameStop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The workplace was fun. Responsibilities were reasonable and stress was low. If you're a gamer, the employee discount was good.

Cons

If you're looking to get promoted to a management position, prepare to be taken advantage of. I was given a "promotion", but would not receive the title or benefits (include the pay raise) until corporate had an opening. No date was given, and I finally realized after 3 months that it wasn't coming.

Promote from within instead of hiring managers from other industries.

................

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

time off, perks, promotions, customers

Cons

leadership, training, lack of hours,

WORST JOB EVER!!!

I worked at GameStop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

you were allowed to tryout new games

Cons

the most simple way i can put it.. they WILL work you like mule and pay you like amule

Get a life.. its only a video-game store