GameStop

2.8
1,281 Reviews

GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines
J. Paul Raines

Pros
  • We know what to recommend because every single one of us plays a lot of video games (in 195 reviews)

• You get a discount on purchases, and you can check out games for four days (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you're upper management you will only get 4-10 hours a week at best (in 110 reviews)

• You get paid just above minimum wage with the responsibility of a store manager (in 76 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Job, hard to find a work/family balance as a manager

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

Pros

The job offers sneak peaks at upcoming games that the public has to wait for. Discounts on everything except new systems. You get to meet all kinds of people who will become your friends online via xbox live or psn network.

Cons

Very difficult to get weekends off for family functions, but hey that's retail. You work most holidays and extended hours during Christmas. You are pressed to produce results daily and weekly by most district managers. You could have an off week and the DM could ride you mercilessly throughout the week for a quick turn around.

I was told "Family First" is our motto. That was not always the case.

Lackluster.

Former Employee - Game Advisor  in  North Port, FL
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in North Port, FL

Pros

You get a decent discount on games, and if you're a Pro Member you can add these discounts together. There is also a take-home policy where you can check-out games that aren't in popular demand (for instance, you can't take home a copy of GTAV the week it's released), play them, and bring them back. The majority of people there are very passionate about their work!

Cons

NO direct deposit! You must go into the store to collect your paycheck and your weekly schedule. There is no portal for employees, so you have to call or go in to find out information- VERY inconvenient! Be warned if you are hired as a seasonal worker, because they hire about six new people during season for a store that can be run by four out of season and the managers will take a huge majority of the hours (I would get 3 1/2 hrs every other week). Time-off is iffy- because PTO doesn't exist for anyone not full-time, asking for days off (even when your manager approves it) is sketchy. There is no recorded system of approval. I once went on a weekend trip and told my manager I would be away- he called me while I was four hours away asking me why I hadn't shown up for my shift.

Please re-establish a system online for keeping track of schedules, time off, and upcoming sales announcements. Because I only got hours every other week, I could barely talk to customers without asking for help because I was never informed. Direct deposit would be great, considering it was about nine miles to go pick up my paycheck when I wasn't even scheduled for a shift.

Fun job but potential overemphasis on the wrong metrics

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

Pros

Working on the floor grants you a good opportunity to talk with customers regarding their preferences in video games and provide recommendations. It's ultimately a sales job, but selling isn't difficult when customers have an idea of what they're looking for and you're able to steer them in right direction. Excellence is of course awarded with more hours and even promotions. This is great as a side job as well because hours are very hard to come by starting out.

Cons

Advancement opportunities seem average, particularly if you're a strong seller. The focus (at least in my district) on percentages was somewhat unnerving; failure to meet them would result in hours reductions and eventually termination. The culture seemed to change markedly over the course of the year and a half I worked there.

Value-added items are of course where a business makes it money. I don't know that this is corporate policy or district policy, but the focus on add-ons was as a percentage of transactions, rather than volume. % does have its merit, but a saturation of stores means that the clientele most likely to purchase those items tend to go to lower-traffic stores. The goals should be adjusted based on demographics at particular stores. Mal

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good retail experience

Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor  in  Clarksville, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Clarksville, IN

Pros

The main perks of working for GameStop are the employee discounts (15%) and the fact that you're able to "check out" any pre-owned games for up to 4 days. I really enjoy working with my coworkers, and the majority of our customers are very friendly. Most people think this job is going to be a breeze because you "just get to talk about video games all day", but that isn't the case. It's still a retail job, so you have to be able to be friendly/talkative with the customers and push product. I worked as a Game Advisor for three months and got promoted to Senior Game Advisor, which I've been told is a fairly quick turnover. You just have to show initiative and be determined to do good work.

Cons

The main con of working for GameStop is the loyalty program (PowerUp Rewards cards). At my store, how many hours you get is based on performance, and performance is largely judged by your numbers (PUR cards, reserves, attachment rate [selling DLC/season passes/etc. along with certain games]). If your numbers are suffering that week, you're lucky to get 10 hours. Upper management expects you to push PUR cards at every opportunity, which some customers have told me makes them feel uncomfortable. There is also a lack of communication between stores and district management. At the end of each day, our DM wants an e-mail listing each employees numbers for the day. They don't take into account that we're slower during the beginning of the week than we are on weekends, or the fact that our store is in a mall which results in lower numbers in general.

Re-evaluate your loyalty program so that it's easier to sell to customers without seeming pushy

Senior Game Advisor

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Orlando, FL

Pros

You get to work with people that share the same passion for games and every customer that comes in shares the same enthusiasm. You can move up in the company fairly quickly if numbers are stellar. Plenty of opportunity to learn different sides of the company. Stores around you feel like family and it was always a pleasure to come into work. Honestly the best retail experience I had ever had in my life. Go for it!

Cons

Sometimes the stores can be a little cramped depending where you work which makes it pretty difficult when you get holiday shipment and holiday traffic.

Decent employer, terrible raises

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Grapevine, TX

Pros

Great schedule at the corporate office

Cons

Almost impossible to move up, and the raises are small

Stop promoting people based on promises and promote based on performance

Store Manager

Current Employee - Gamestop Manager  in  Kahului, HI
    Current Employee - Gamestop Manager in Kahului, HI

Pros

I am a hard and passionate worker therefor my bonus is always nice. I think your experience depends on your DM and the state of your store when you get hired. I have been with the company for three years. My store was a mess when I arrived however with a lot of hard work it is very comfortable now. SM conference is fun with a lot of freebies! The customers have become like family and the benefits are some of the best. They do offer 401k with company match. As store manager the company empowers you to make decisions and gives you the tools for success.

Cons

It is a job, you have to work. It does seem as though the SM's are the work horses for the company. I just wish the compensation was closer to 50k not 40k.

Overall great. It seems as though that want talent to grow within the company however no one has time to dedicate to your real growth.

Game Advisor for one year.

Former Employee - Game Advisor
    Former Employee - Game Advisor

Pros

Free game rentals and promotion swag. Easy way to meet lots of people with similar interests and good customer service skills practice over the phone and on the floor.

Cons

High expectations from the get-go with little benefits/incentives. The large stress on numbers require lots of promoting, which requires lots of wasted time chasing down customers with ads and deals they don't want or care for. Also they made me clean their bathroom.

Work hard and you can advance to corporate.

Former Employee - IT Manager  in  Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Grapevine, TX

Pros

If you have a desire to learn they will send you to trainings so that you can move up in the company.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like you have to work thankless hours. But what job doesn't.

Communication is vital all the way down the line.

Great company to work for in upper management.

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

Pros

Fun place to work in a fast pace environment. You need to be capable of changing and adapting to new strategic initiatives if you want to be successful. Unlike what some think this will not be the next Blockbuster.

Cons

Long hours especially for the store manager. It gets better once you make it to the DM roll, but you will still put in 50 to 60 hours a week during mon-peak months and more during the holidays.

Decrease hours for the store manager or increase hours. You can either work them long hours or have low pay you can't do both.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!