Gameloft Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
3.1

Gameloft Président-Directeur Général Michel Guillemot
Michel Guillemot

Pros
  • Great work environment (friendly and cool) (in 13 reviews)

• Great people around you, great place to learn new skills, pretty good payment, (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance has improved in the past years but could use improvement (in 8 reviews)

• Expect lots of overtime because someone from HQ wanted something changed (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people, environment, and challenges

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Gameloft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Our studio manager is very clear on the values needed for our studio and they are good choices (humbleness, love of helping others, creativity, passion, friendliness, fun). This has improved the quality of people on the teams over time. Pay increases and promotions are seen for people who show commitment to the projects. Almost no overtime. People who don't perform and who drag down their team are let go.

Cons

HQ remains the biggest challenge, though our studio has earned increasing its autonomy. They continue to make major last minute changes to projects at each stage, and often make decisions based on the latest AppStore hit, instead of coming up with their own next big thing, or better yet letting their talented teams move forward with good ideas of their own.

Trust the talented teams you have hired to create great games and game concepts and move forward with them. The HQ staff are too overloaded to micromanage anyway, they cannot handle that much oversight work, so they hold projects up by not answering emails or making decisions timely. Show your teams outside of Paris that you value their work, not just by saying it in the press but by making actual connections with the studios.

Soul sucking experience

Former Employee - 2D Artist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - 2D Artist in New York, NY

I worked at Gameloft full-time (less than an year)

Pros

One of the very few game studios in New York City, decent job security. Strong art team, even if being ridiculously held back.

Cons

No leadership, no creativity, horrible bonuses, no room for growth, horrible projects, continuously micro managed from France .... I could go on, but basically imagine the TV show "The Office" and apply it to games development.

They know exactly what they-re doing and they don't care. The company is making money and see no need to change their ways, especially since there is little to no competition for jobs in the New York scene.

Great people, with a lot of room for creativity

Former Employee - 3D Animator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - 3D Animator in New York, NY

I worked at Gameloft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I came into the New York studio in 2013 with the hopes that it'd be a decent place to be at. I was blown away on how friendly and committed these guys are. The art team is one of the most talented set of people you can find in NYC. You can't argue about the art quality on the games that Gameloft produces. Not many places in NYC go after that type of quality in a mobile game. I came in to animate and was given a lot of creative freedom on my shots. There's no micro managing. You are trusted to deliver and do a good job. I was taken in as one of the team since very early. I made some real valuable friendships here. If you get to be hired here as an artist, you will have a great time. Also the guys at HR and management work really hard to make the place be very enjoyable with tons of extra perks. Oh, and there's breakfast every day!

Cons

The cons that I see don't come necessary from the NYC team but from HQ in Paris. I feel that the games suffer from delays due to the conflicting ideas that come from HQ. However there is a ton of money at stake and I can imagine why HQ is so careful

The team has grown much bigger in the past year. Next projects need to bea bit more organized

Okay place to start career but not for long term.

I have been working at Gameloft full-time

Pros

Great and friendly people to work with. Good place to start your career with good benefits.

Cons

Bad management with micromanaging in every level. Politics from HQ slows down game development and doesn't trust employees to be creative or innovative. Boring projects and there is no self development at all. Oh yeah, pay is almost at a poverty level so don't expect to save money when working here.

Trust the people you've hired to do their job and be more open to what's happening in the company.

Quality Assurance

Former Employee - QA Tester in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - QA Tester in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Gameloft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working for one of the largest mobile game development companies in the world along side some of the greatest talent in the industry was an excellent experience. The staff is passionate, fun, friendly, bright, immensely talented and are what really makes New Orleans Gameloft an experience enriching place to work. For someone looking to enter the game industry as a tester, Gameloft is a great place to develop some of the necessary skills one will need for a successful career.

Not to mention, the studio game room is complete with a Foosball table, ping pong table, dart board and the latest next gen consoles with a library of games. Every Wednesday is complementary bagel day and there is always an assortment of cereal and coffee in the kitchen. It's location is in the heart of downtown New Orleans and there is always something going on in the Big Easy so the culture is a lot of fun.

Cons

- Low salary
    - High turnover rate of employees
    - Excessive over-time

Account Manager

I have been working at Gameloft

Pros

Good Place to learn
    Good peers

Cons

Poor leadership
    Lack of support from leadership
    Slow process for releasing new games

Disappointing, but has potential!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Gameloft full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The potential for this company to produce really exciting products while simultaneously creating an engaging and enjoyable work environment is here - we just need to find out where the disconnect is in this process. I believe that the company genuinely wants its employees to be happy and productive but perhaps does not realize that they are not accomplishing this, leading to an overall lack of enthusiasm from the teams. However, if they are serious about wanting to retain their talent in such a competitive industry I believe they will make the effort to rectify this.

Cons

The issue lies partially with miscommunication or slow communication between different departments and studios. It also lies with a lack of identity and unity between the teams and studios. I very much feel like we are all on our own little islands rather than part of a whole. Furthermore, since starting very little about the company, it's processes, practices or people has been explained to me. I was given very broken and incomplete training and then set to work immediately. Just to give an example, the first time I knew the name of our CEO was when I read this survey - sometimes I feel like I don't even know who I work for.

I cannot speak for people in positions outside of my own, but I expect comprehensive and thorough training from a company this size and this old. This covers everything from the Gameloft specific techniques and expectations for my work as well as more basic information about the company, such as which studios/teams are responsible for which aspects of our projects, the work flow that ensues from that, where I fit in it, etc. I was overwhelmed with a lack of belonging on multiple levels when I began this job, as though no one had the time or tools to take care of a new hire. I think that the way the company presents itself to us needs to be rethought very seriously.

Gameloft Response

May 19, 2014Recruiter

Thank you for your comments. Your perspective is appreciated. We will review our on-boarding and training this week to begin addressing any holes in those processes starting with what's been pointed ... More

good for starter

I worked at Gameloft

Pros

Great coworkers, casual environment, nice location

Cons

Paris HQ has too much say in decisions without enough information

Worst place I've ever worked at

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Gameloft

Pros

The teammates you meet are the only good thing about that hellhole

Cons

Long hours, no room to grow, have to work on weekends, HQ controls everything so I really don't know why they even bother hiring creative talent. You cannot be an artist there because they control every single thing you do. Cockroaches all over the kitchen. Your hard work is never appreciated and nobody ever tells you you're doing a good job. Only negative feedback

You will go out of business if you keep treating your employees the way you do.

Great coworkers

I worked at Gameloft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice coworkers, overall fun atmosphere, good health benefits

Cons

The company undervalues almost all of their employees, and the turnover is high