Gamesys

Updated Apr 19, 2014

Gamesys CEO Noel Hayden

Noel Hayden

great people, great mentality

Product Owner (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gamesys full-time for more than a year

Prosmanagement is very open minded, people are always friendly, opportunity to grow and get training if needed, best location in london

Conssometimes knowing who to speak with when you need something is a challenge (but defintely not impossible), because the company is growing a lot

Started good, but politics and lack of investment in you as a person will get you down

Software Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Gamesys full-time for more than a year

ProsLocation, some good people, Noel the director, some internal movement prospects, gym membership

ConsImagine you have been working your butt off for two years, have a decade of experience, then one day you suddenly hear a guy will 1/2 years experience, fairly new to the company, is now your boss! And worse still, you had no idea such a position was available, because it was being in the right place, at the right time, and kowtowing to the right people. Well, thats what happened to me, and a few others during my time there.
So politics, being in with the right crowd and sucking up may get you places, but this is a totally wrong approach, and during my time, alot of really talented hard working guys departed after being bitter as I had been.

People say politics are everywhere, maybe so, but its hard to take it when roles are on offer, and you don't even get considered for the opening, because you never hear such a role was on offer, because it wasn't, it was created out of the ether and given to someone who "just got it", not on merit, but on the political connection tree.

Another con, is there will be hardly no investment into your career, skills, you may get some token gesture training from time to time, but thats it. Salary is fair in my opinion, but many people were saying its below the market rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementSelect people for roles on merit, and not on contextual sucking up or social connections. Why not advertise to the teams affected such a role is being created, ask people who they would consider is appropriate, vet people through interviewing and then assess on merit. Simple really... but most importantly fair.

Good place for someone that keeps their head down and codes

Senior Java Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Gamesys full-time for more than a year

ProsFree drinks on Friday. Fruits in the morning. Good location.

ConsOld technologies and solutions. No carrier progression unless you please certain people. Irrelevant and unfair assessments. young and inexperienced team leads that develop their leadership skills on you, which sometimes can be really painful. 5 days sick leave. poor investment in employees. Salary below average.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in people, otherwise all valuable people will leave. You cannot promote only people from the 'circle'. Give everyone a chance.

Good place for people that keep their head down and code

Senior Java Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Gamesys full-time for more than a year

ProsFriday drinks, Fruits in the morning. good location.

ConsOld technologies and solutions. No carrier progressions unless you please certain people. Young and inexperienced leads that try their leadership skills on you, which can be really painful. No investment in people. Irrelevant and unfair assessment. 5 sick days per year. salary below market average.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart investing in people otherwise people will keep leaving. Give everyone a chance to progress with their carrier.

Enjoyable and quirky work environment

Marketing Web Designer (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Gamesys full-time for less than a year

ProsI've felt accepted since my first day. Within the first few months I've been allowed to take on my own projects and those in my team have been there to support me. It's good that we're encouraged to be creative, especially as a Web Designer.

ConsNothing so far, lots of little perks which is always nice. Stuff like free drinks, extra days holiday etc. do make a difference

Advice to Senior ManagementBe mindful of the growth of the company

Too much politics

Java Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Gamesys full-time for more than a year

ProsGood location but just an OK office.

Some perks and benefits.

Some interesting games.

ConsSadly I have to agree with most of the bad reviews, it's a highly political environment where it matters more how you sell yourself and who are you friends with that your technical skills.

Gamesys had too much success too fast and they didn't manage it well. There is a group of managers and technical people which have too much influence and that are quite demanding. If you are not friends with them, well, you are options in this company are quite limited. If you dare to antagonise them, well you are out.

I don't hold any grudges, even though my experience there were less than pleasant, but can't recommend this company to anyone.

Best of luck to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementFace the truth, you haven't had a success in years, why? well, you know why, don't you? Companies are made of people after all.

Started very good but hated it in the end....

Software Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Gamesys full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGamesys offers a competitive salary, talented developers, good package and perfect location.

ConsI have worked in Gamesys for many years. It started to be amazing and in the end I couldn't wait to leave the company.
I think since they started adding so many layers of managers and hiring some really nasty managers with minimum knowledge, it all went down.
Many of them make you stay longer and work extra hours for no extra money and make you feel really bad if you don't and give you a bad review which affects your bonus while they were leaving themselves sometimes at 17.00.
I think Gamesys Mobile Games are one of the worst you can get in the online gambling business. Their LUA solution has totally failed and all these managers who had no clue how to manage are now hiding it from the upper management.
I have seen horrible managers with poor review staying there with no problem and some people with amazing talent being treated very badly. I honestly don't know what's going on exactly there. it's all politics.
I do wish them the best of luck and I hope they get it right at some point but I currently as it is, I don't recommend it to anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease try to understand what's going on among the develops, don't let the middle management and people who can talk well, fool you.

Great people, environment and possibility to build cool things

Javascript Developer (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Gamesys full-time for less than a year

ProsLatest technologies, good people, perfect location, and very open minded

ConsA bit lack of organization that makes projects go a bit crazy sometimes

Can't get more flexible env like this

QA Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gamesys full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible, and I am part a self management team.

ConsNothing I could think of

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

It's bad, but I have seen worse. Don't take that as "good" though.

Front End Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gamesys full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- If you think free fruits and half dozen free beers on friday is a positive, then well suited
- Offices are well located
- Decent hardware, good support all around for whatever needed to get your job done
- Good number of decent people among the bad apples

ConsFirst of all, I've been fairly happy at this company for years. How the market has developed over the last years brought lots of new problems, and the lack of decent management and vision let the company down badly.

- Gamesys comes from a history of success, and now that things aren't going as smoothly as they were, they're cracking - the bulling, the pushing, the lack of progress, the hit your head against the wall, it's all real.
- Company is off track, stuck in their past golden era and unable to move forward without blaming the staff for manager's errors.
- If you're a people's person, you might do well. The company is a "family business", a few bunch run a nepotistic lair.
- Many employees decide to abruptly seek other ventures and don't return in the next day... that's right, they do get rid of people using that BS.
- There is very little innovation in terms of tech (you have to do things on your own and prove to others so then it will be accepted - nothing good comes from top-down), career paths are non existent, growth opportunities may only arise for those giving up their lives in name of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real, applying your weekend crash course techniques on how to manage people won't cut very long. You have a really decent bunch, stop acting as if your lack of vision is the teams fault. I can understand you're trying to take a bite of all opportunities, but focus could potentially put this company back in line of success. I understand you're making investments, but put your eggs in the right nest.

Next year will definitely be harder with more competition all over, bulling your staff won't be enough to keep the gear rolling. Lots of good people have left in 2013 and lots more will. Gamesys will lose more ground in stablished territories and soon enough will need to make personnel cuts -- not because they're not suited, but because you got your head stuck in 2010.

Worked for Gamesys? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gamesys reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gamesys CEO Noel Hayden. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by Gamesys employees.