Gander Mountain

Gander Mountain Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Gander Mountain Chairman and Interim CEO David C. Pratt

David C. Pratt

Pros
  • Employee discount was good then they started cutting back(in 15 reviews)

• Most people were fun to work with, and working within the outdoor industry was also fun(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • We spend more time trying to hawk credit cards than we do selling anything(in 41 reviews)

• Over do it on getting protection plans (warranties) and credit cards(in 26 reviews)

Pushed Metrics

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Geneva, IL

Prosflexible schedle great employees to work with

Conspushed metrics unachievable standards etc

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

?

ProsDiscounts, flexible, knowledge, good customers

ConsPoor product assortment, threats of losing job if credit card & protection plan goals aren't met

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue

Great Company

Store Manager (Current Employee) Florence, AL

ProsOutstanding work environment, with great customers and great product. The training programs for management are excellent as well.

ConsI have seen at times issues with micro management. I also recall sales being less of a focus at times and more focus in the look of a store.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication of expectations are key. Furthermore, if you are going to claim to be a customer focused company, please act like it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall good company

ProsBenefits are pretty good for the employee

ConsJob would be easier if there was more payroll

Fun job and people, really low pay, disorganized

Fishing Sales Associate (Former Employee) Hermantown, MN

ProsPeople were to fun to work with for the most part.
    Discounts were nice.

ConsLow pay- maybe $7.70 an hour as an associate.
    Expected to get customers to apply for credit cards.
    Corporate seems disconnected from retail locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove inventory and logistics systems! We would run out of popular baits by May, then get truckloads of lifejackets and never get the popular products back in stock. Fishing equipment is highly specific to region, and it didn't seem like that was taken into account.

Gander

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Central City, FL

ProsNot long ago it was a great place to work. Employees felt entrusted and when corporate personnel would come they truly made all feel like part of a team.

ConsWhen replacing management at store levels, corporate should be more in tune with changes. Especially top of the chain.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuite a few dedicated employees where lost in your Florida stores. Some that gave more then they should of.

Avoid this black hole company.

Fishing Sales Associate (Current Employee) Lake Mary, FL

ProsCool co-workers. Flexible hours. Thats about it.

ConsAmount of money you make isn't enough to make the discount matter. CEO only cares about his helicopter and his jet, and is so out of touch with the outdoors industry. Upper management is just sorry. The credit card system is a joke...no one wants another credit card. Summit plans cause more headache then they are worth. Camping has turned into a house gift department. Summits/Credits are way more important than an employee with valuable outdoor experience and knowledge. The turn-over rate in this company is atrocious! You've gotten rid of products that sold well in the outdoors industry, you might as well be another K-Mart. Oh and POLITICS POLITICS POLITICS...

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees who know a thing or two about what it is means to "live outdoors" as your silly slogan states.

Full of Disorganization and Liars

Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee) Champaign, IL

ProsThe vendor discounts, store discounts, and in some, rare occasions scheduled hours were all decent.

ConsWas not compensated for earned commission in footwear. Was continually lied to about earning commission in footwear from date of hiring to the day I quit. Was not told until the first day of store opening that "part time, temporary" employees are ineligible for commission pay. Male managers ogled underage female employees, made inappropriate, sexist comments, and generally did not have a handle on employee scheduling. By far, one of the worst employers I had ever worked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lie to your employees. Be accountable for the things you say. Worry less about sales, credit card signups and care plans and more about creating a strong, core team of employees THAT TRUST YOU.

Typical retail job, lack of support from management on all levels

Fishing Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Prosgreat discounts and fun products to work with. it was also alot of fun to help customers get setup with the products they need for a

Consit seems like they are beginning to move away from quality products and getting the sales associates to push lower quality products where they make a higher margin. the weekly ads make working here a nightmare many of the ads have mistakes with the wrong item pictured and you have to correct customers on what the issue s which can be a major issue

Advice to Senior Managementsome of the managers at my store were very helpful but it was not a consistent occurrence and it wasnt always their fault. staffing was always a problem at my store and that could really only be blamed on base camp for not giving the store enough payroll to support an appropriate staff

Senior Management is Clueless as to the needs of the individual stores

Foot Wear/Camping Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsEmployee Discount Program ( but not enough to off set Cons)

ConsNo consistency in scheduling either in days or hours. You may work every other day with 4 hour shifts. They do not like to hire older employees for full time positions. If you are 40 or older and are not looking at senior management forget it. They are not living in the present economic times; people are not wanting to sign up or be pestered about credit cards. Protection plans have some value but not for everything. New Buy Online Pick Up in Store program was thought up by someone who has no clue what they are doing. Corporate (Base Camp) needs to get their act together; they add to the work load of the sales associate with their programs but don't understand you cannot do more with less people without customer service suffering.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorry more about your customers and less about your bonuses. Stores need more not less hours and individual store mangers need to be given back decision making ability as to ordering, Stocking, and store design.

Worked for Gander Mountain? Contribute to the Community!