Gander Mountain

Gander Mountain Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Gander Mountain Chairman and Interim CEO David C. Pratt

David C. Pratt

Pros
  • Employee discount was good then they started cutting back(in 15 reviews)

• Most people were fun to work with, and working within the outdoor industry was also fun(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • We spend more time trying to hawk credit cards than we do selling anything(in 41 reviews)

• Over do it on getting protection plans (warranties) and credit cards(in 26 reviews)

Management ruins what could be a great job

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Tonawanda, NY

ProsThe discounts are very good especially if you take advantage of the online opportunities. The other employees are usually good people and the customers tend to be okay.

Cons- In the 5+ years I was there our store had 7 managers. Some lasted only a month or two before transferring.
    - The store is finally being remodeled after 15 years of neglect. We had part of an air handling unit fall into the store and the reaction of district management was to duct tape the parts together until corporate would allow them to fix the unit. The changing rooms would not lock, bathroom constantly over flowed, etc. The store was in worse condition than the local Walmart.
    - Zero training from the management. I was lucky that I knew about hunting and camping. Many of the hires knew nothing and neither did the management. It was my job as a part timer to train the new management and employees in our department. By the end all of the training was done online, on the employees own time, by a third party service. You were required to take the training but they would not pay for your time to train or allow your to train at work.
    - It started out that those who were hired had to be familiar with the outdoors. By the end of my time there they were hiring people who could sell credit cards. Management was not better. They were brought over from Sears and Target and tried running what is a specialty retailer as a big box general store.
    - There is still a push to only focus on protection plans, credit cards and accessory sales. If you were to sell a pair of boots you have to sell 2-3 other accessories totaling $25 or more or you were reprimanded. It didn't matter if you sold $5000 worth of boots in a day. If the accessory sales were not up you would get your hours cut or moved to the worst times.
    - The inventory system is a joke. Regularly products were out of stock for weeks. The management and inventory control people had no idea what products stores actually needed and would belittle you or ignore your requests. I remember one year our store got 20 pairs of snowshoes in sometime around October. They were gone by Thanksgiving and we were never sent more. The reason was that they did not think we were a good market for that stuff. We get 120 inches of snow a year and a winter that lasts 4-5 months. We ended up sending a lot of customers to Dick's and EMS who had stock. Another time we got a large shipment of fishing gear used in saltwater fishing. Apparently one of the buyers though the great lakes were just like the ocean and we need the stuff. We ended up sending almost a full truck load of inventory to Florida where there is salt water.

I could keep going on but the largest problem is that as a part timers (and to an extent full timers) you are a warm body. No matter how hard you work, your skill set, how much your sales are, etc. you are not appreciated by management. You are only as good as your last mistake or your last failed quota. There is no positive feedback, training, reviews, raises or acknowledgement my the management.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour stores are a mess and in general you are trying to run the store like the Walmart of outdoor stores. Look at your competition. REI, EMS, Bass Pro, Cabelas. They all have a few things in common.
    - Clean, well maintained stores
    - Employees who are trained very well but are also expected to come in with knowledge
    - Employee training on new products and seasonal changes
    - Classes for the general public introducing new skills
    - Affiliations with local outdoor clubs or university clubs
    - IT stuff that works
    - Easy stock order, good inventory controls and a buyer force that works for the front line workers
    - Management who are given freedom to run the store as needed and not micromanaged from a board room in Minnesota
    - No quotas on accessory sales, credit cards, warranties, etc.
    - EMPLOYEE APPRECIATION!!!!!!! We make you money, treat us like professionals and not scum.

Excelent

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGood training and advancement oppurtunites to those who take advantage of them and apply themselves. Most complain about these, I feel, because they do not communicate with management about their desires to move up.

ConsPayroll decreases are a major con. Reasons are because of corporate decisions based off of lowering sales, season and projected growth. This is just simple business economics and for anyone to have a job, has to be done.

wasted time!

ProsGreat environment in the store. Great products and love helping customers enjoy their outdoor activities.

ConsThe senior management is very disconnected from the stores. They are making it harder and harder to do what they preach we need to accomplish. A sales culture is not possible with direction and actions senior management have taken. Not a pro employee or pro customer company.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit building an upside down pyramid. Feedback from the stores and the people who are on the front lines is what will make a difference if implemented. Currently its not even solicited.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

pretty decent

Firearms Sales (Former Employee)

ProsLots of great product and good discounts

Conspoor wages and very high expectations

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit pushing pro plans, summits, and credit cards

Great industry to work in

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsEnjoyable work atmosphere, employee are usually knowledgeable of the products, fun company to work for

ConsConstant change in company directives, computer systems are outdated and hold back true potential of managing your store, huge disconnect between stores and corporate

Advice to Senior ManagementGet everyone on the same page, hold corporate employees accountable for the mistakes that make stores struggle (stock issues, system malfunctions, ad breaks, price changes, etc.)

Store Managers be careful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBig selection of firearms, high salary

ConsHelicopter can land next to your store and the owner can come in and literally fire everone in a second. David Pratt is not a nice man and I'll leave it at that.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick another company

Asst Manager for 10 years

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Sheffield Village, OH

ProsGet to meet new and interesting people and help them better understand the sport we all love. The discounts were also great.

ConsCorporate sets crazy credit card and protection plan goals and forces management to come down hard on the employees, which lowers their moral. The stores are always understaff (sometimes 5 employees in the whole store) which makes it hard to properly help the customers. They took away the ability for each store to order product for the customers in their local area.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff more employees, get localized buyers, the regional buyers now still have no clue, let the stores order what they need to satisfy the customers. Get things back to the way it was in the late 90's-early 2000

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Gander Mountain is a good employer, not spectacular, but good.

Foot Wear Sales Associate (Current Employee) Kenosha, WI

ProsSome of the pros of working at Gander Mountain are: that you get to work with like-minded people, work with products you use yourself, and even the benefits are decent for part-timers.

ConsThe con of working at Gander Mountain is that the work can be monotonous and boring. As a sales associate, there isn't always something keeping you busy.

Slippery Slope

Sales Associate (Current Employee) De Forest, WI

ProsGreat to sell what you love, Great co-workers, Great Discount

ConsManagement on all levels are clinically insane.

Great people, awful job.

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Opelika, AL

ProsRepeat customers are the best. Working in Customer Service, I had a few great customers mixed in with mostly grumpy, upset or disgruntled customers that want something from me. Worked around school schedule.

ConsNo training, poor pay, poor communication between corporate and stores. Opelika store went through three store managers within one summer, other managers were replaced. Long shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication with stores and employees.

Worked for Gander Mountain? Contribute to the Community!