Gander Mountain

Gander Mountain Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Gander Mountain Chairman and Interim CEO David C. Pratt

David C. Pratt

Pros:
  • "Employee discount was good then they started cutting back"
    in 14 reviews
  • "It is fun to work with merchandise that you enjoy using yourself"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "We spend more time trying to hawk credit cards than we do selling anything"
    in 34 reviews
  • "There is still a push to only focus on protection plans, credit cards and accessory sales"
    in 21 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Pays good

ProsWorks with your schedule and is flexable

Conssometimes you soend more time at work than with your family

?

ProsDiscounts, flexible, knowledge, good customers

ConsPoor product assortment, threats of losing job if credit card & protection plan goals aren't met

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue

Overall good company

ProsBenefits are pretty good for the employee

ConsJob would be easier if there was more payroll

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Florence, AL

ProsOutstanding work environment, with great customers and great product. The training programs for management are excellent as well.

ConsI have seen at times issues with micro management. I also recall sales being less of a focus at times and more focus in the look of a store.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication of expectations are key. Furthermore, if you are going to claim to be a customer focused company, please act like it.

Gander

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Central City, FL

ProsNot long ago it was a great place to work. Employees felt entrusted and when corporate personnel would come they truly made all feel like part of a team.

ConsWhen replacing management at store levels, corporate should be more in tune with changes. Especially top of the chain.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuite a few dedicated employees where lost in your Florida stores. Some that gave more then they should of.

Both good and bad

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible schedules, very laid back. Co-workers and management are awesome people. Job can be fun sometimes.

ConsInconsistent hours, low pay. The push and push and push of Summit Protection Plans and the Gander Mountain Mastercard and your job is on the line if you don't sell enough. Not enough employees on the floor during busy times due to lack of payroll. Customers get irate when there is no one to help them. GMTN offers brand training but you can never take the training because you are desperately needed on the floor all the time. Some employees don't get breaks due to low staffing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStore management has no power to make positive changes for the individual stores. Base Camp controls everything. Get out while you can...this company won't be around very much longer.

Hunting/Firearm Associate

Firearm Sales (Former Employee)

ProsRequest days off usually granted. Loved working with firearms.

ConsInconsistent workdays/hours, Some weeks had little or no hours. Unable to plan because I didn't know work schedule until the Friday before the workweek. Training consisted mainly of how to push warranty (Protection Plan and Credit Cards). No training on actual product we are selling. Constant, daily nagging on pushing warranty and credit cards. No knowledgeable or experienced hunter in hunting section. The inventory system is a mess; can't find things in back inventory. Horrible inventory system even for firearms. Management never praised you for selling firearms only for selling warranty plan and credit cards.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are losing good people. You've forgotten why you are in business. No, it's not selling insurance (Summit or Firearm Protection Plan) or you are NOT a bank so it's not selling credit cards. When Cabela's opens their store in a few months they will eat your lunch.

Pushed Metrics

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Geneva, IL

Prosflexible schedle great employees to work with

Conspushed metrics unachievable standards etc

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Typical retail job, lack of support from management on all levels

Fishing Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Prosgreat discounts and fun products to work with. it was also alot of fun to help customers get setup with the products they need for a

Consit seems like they are beginning to move away from quality products and getting the sales associates to push lower quality products where they make a higher margin. the weekly ads make working here a nightmare many of the ads have mistakes with the wrong item pictured and you have to correct customers on what the issue s which can be a major issue

Advice to Senior Managementsome of the managers at my store were very helpful but it was not a consistent occurrence and it wasnt always their fault. staffing was always a problem at my store and that could really only be blamed on base camp for not giving the store enough payroll to support an appropriate staff

Senior Management is Clueless as to the needs of the individual stores

Foot Wear/Camping Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsEmployee Discount Program ( but not enough to off set Cons)

ConsNo consistency in scheduling either in days or hours. You may work every other day with 4 hour shifts. They do not like to hire older employees for full time positions. If you are 40 or older and are not looking at senior management forget it. They are not living in the present economic times; people are not wanting to sign up or be pestered about credit cards. Protection plans have some value but not for everything. New Buy Online Pick Up in Store program was thought up by someone who has no clue what they are doing. Corporate (Base Camp) needs to get their act together; they add to the work load of the sales associate with their programs but don't understand you cannot do more with less people without customer service suffering.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorry more about your customers and less about your bonuses. Stores need more not less hours and individual store mangers need to be given back decision making ability as to ordering, Stocking, and store design.

Worked for Gander Mountain? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gander Mountain reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gander Mountain CEO David C. Pratt. All 166 reviews posted anonymously by Gander Mountain employees.