Gander Mountain Reviews

247 reviews filtered by
2.7
Gander Mountain Chairman and Interim CEO David C. Pratt
David C. Pratt

Pros
  • Employee Discount Program ( but not enough to off set Cons) (in 20 reviews)

• Most people were fun to work with, and working within the outdoor industry was also fun (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • We spend more time trying to hawk credit cards than we do selling anything (in 56 reviews)

• Over do it on getting protection plans (warranties) and credit cards (in 34 reviews)

1. I enjoyed working at this company, they worked around my schedule and it was a good job to have during Christmas

I worked at Gander Mountain

Pros

Gander mountain offers a fairly reasonable base pay for a high school/college student

Cons

The closing method used is very inefficient, it sometimes take approximately 1.5 hours to close when it should take around 30 mins

Wagon wheel is not very efficient

2. It was a great place to work

Former Employee - Footwear Sales Associate in Lake Mary, FL
    Former Employee - Footwear Sales Associate in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at Gander Mountain part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are great. Customers are super nice. There is a good chance for growth in the business there. Their just nice people all around.

Cons

If your family is management you can't work there

3. Pretty decent place to work. Lots of freedom when it comes to working with customers to make them happy. Great discounts

Former Employee - Signing Specialist in Lakeville, MN
    Former Employee - Signing Specialist in Lakeville, MN

I worked at Gander Mountain

Pros

Freedom to work with customers. Great opportunity to move up in the company if you do your job well. Able to take the bull by the horns and become a leader if you want to. Good discounts.

Cons

When higher-ups come it is chaos, running crazy to make everything perfect, even if it wasn't necessary. CEO will fire on site, but in my experience didn't. Will get fired if you don't sell credit cards and summit protection plans. Pay sucks.

5. Not great, nor dependable

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hixson, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hixson, TN

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours interesting coworkers. Descent discounts. Fun environment to work in.

Cons

Barely any hours if you aren't a supervisor, complete lack of responsibility on management. resets are completely unorganized. corporate has no clue what is going on in stores, as long as there are good numbers, that is all that matters.

6. Management is clueless.

Former Employee - BATF Supervisor
    Former Employee - BATF Supervisor

I worked at Gander Mountain

Pros

There are a lot of interesting co-workers, with various backgrounds.

Cons

Lack of leadership, direction, and hours.

Quit focusing on credit cards! If you have a superior product/experience the customers will want to do business with you.

7. Room for Improvement

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time (less than a year)

Pros

My co-workers are great! We are a close knit group! Love the products and talking the outdoors with customers. Health insurance is reasonable and benefits are good.

Cons

The company is very bad on training. Have to learn things on your own and when asking a question you are made to feel dumb. To much time is being spent on pushing credits and summits. Spend that time training and the associates will want to sell credits!!!

Spend time in the stores!

8. Indifferent

I worked at Gander Mountain

Pros

They offered a Very flexible schedule which was nice during the summer time. Boss was not breathing down your neck for productivity

Cons

The days could get long and hard when working out in the field. Hard to stay motivated for long periods of time.

Work in activities between data collection days to break up the work. Monday was always way more tolerable than Friday due to the monotony.

9. bad experience

I worked at Gander Mountain full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great store manager, the soft lines and hard lines managers are clueless very sad how they expect you to kill yourself as they watch and take smoke breaks, shop etc, not good role models. There are hourly associates that work so much harder and keep getting screwed. Who does their reviews.

Cons

corporate has no clue what goes on in the store, they should go to store and actually work with their requests and then see how well they work. Awful

don't treat employees like second class citizens, be realistic, invite corporate to come to store and see they have no clue what really needs to be done in store.

10. Great company to work for

I have been working at Gander Mountain

Pros

Laid back with obvious sales expectations

Cons

Too much emphasis on metrics

Be nicer to employees

11. Bad management, treat employees poorly..

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middletown, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middletown, NY

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are no good reasons to work here. Management doesn't care enough to implement any good reasons. They fire excellent workers on a daily basis. If you want a job where you can be replaced at a drop of a pin.. Then you will work here. I would not recommend working here at all. Minimum wage at best. Long days,

Cons

Getting enough hours to support your family. No raises in pay. Not properly staffed

Take care of your employees instead of firing the ones who care about your business. The ones who enjoy their work & make money you should keep. Letting go of them is your mistake. Certainly wont help your store any.

Gander Mountain Photos