www.gandermountain.com

Updated September 27, 2014
2.5

Gander Mountain Chairman and Interim CEO David C. Pratt
David C. Pratt

Pros
  • Employee Discount Program ( but not enough to off set Cons) (in 20 reviews)

• Most people were fun to work with, and working within the outdoor industry was also fun (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • We spend more time trying to hawk credit cards than we do selling anything (in 51 reviews)

• Corporate pushes hard to sell GM MasterCards and Summit protection plans (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent part-time retail job during college.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  La Crosse, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Gander Mountain part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Since the store I worked at was in a college town many of us were college students, which made the atmosphere very fun. Besides rude customers and being stuck inside for long shifts, I enjoyed working at Gander very much.
    - Worked with a lot of like-minded people who enjoyed the outdoors and similar hobbies.
    - I learned a lot from my coworkers and customers about outdoor activities.
    - The discounts are decent. 20% on most merchandise, 30% on Gander brand, along with 3.5 training discounts and VAP employee discounts.

Cons

- Doesn't seem like it would be a great career: The majority of my coworkers were college students or retired people looking for extra money.
    - Having to sell customers on the Gander Mountain Credit Card and Summit Protection Plans: Management is constantly in your ear (literally on the radios) about talking to customers about these two things. It went against my better judgement to convince people to open another credit card they didn't need, but at the end of the day I had to do it to keep getting enough hours. However, management at my store tried very hard to make it fun and offer incentives to employees. They also did cheesy coaching activities to help employees improve. All in all, it's retail! Expect to have to do things like this.
    - Expect to work nights, weekends and holidays. I worked every holiday but got out of the days around Christmas by literally begging.

A So So Place To Work

I worked at Gander Mountain full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great co-workers
    Discounts on merchandise
    Many of the associates really do have a great deal of knowledge and experience to tap into.

Cons

Store management is under tremendous pressure to increase sales and credit card applications. This pressure filters down to the employees. They will go as far as threatening employees with termination if they don't get a sufficient number of credit card applications.
    Management has the attitude of "If you don't like it, there are people lined up to take your job". There is no loyalty to the employees whatsoever.
    Low wages but it's retail.
    If management is displeased with you for any reason they retaliate by decreasing the number of hours you work.
    The Company went public for a short period of time then did a stock buyout and returned to being private. When they were a publicly traded company the financial numbers and outlook looked pretty bad. Going private again shields them from scrutiny.

You are an outdoor oriented retail store not a bank. Resist the temptation of the easy money that credit cards offer and focus on the Gander Mountain brand to increase sales.
    Show a little loyalty and respect for your employees.
    Dave Pratt has been the "interim CEO" since about 2006. Maybe hire a permanent CEO.

Footwear Associate

Current Employee - Footwear Sales Associate  in  Dothan, AL
    Current Employee - Footwear Sales Associate in Dothan, AL

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay for entry level job compared to others. Also, some positions make commission.
    Management is fantastic, they do hire from the outside, but they act like they've been a part of the team forever, well trained. Great working atmosphere, no micro management. A lot of reviews talk about pushing credits, pro plans, baskets, etc. They don't "push" them. Like every other company, there are goals that needed to be met, but you won't lose your job or be reprimanded for not get a credit or summit one day. As a footwear associate I average about 20 hours a week, part-time. Overall great job for an entry level position.

Cons

There aren't any cons as of now.

N/A

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Depending on Management, A Decent Company to Work for

Current Employee - Customer Service Lead  in  Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Lead in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Employee discounts, Approved time-off requests, Decent benefits, Polite & Understanding management/supervisors, Most co-workers are helpful and knowledgeable

Cons

Too many part-time employees (leads to apathy)

The store manager at my location is terrific. He is hands-on, has a great eye for detail and offers exceptional guidance, enthusiasm and leadership for employees. In this case, I have very little criticism for management.

Micro Management abounds

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great discounts with the 3 point 5 training and their VAPP program.

Cons

From the CEO on down, the company has a culture of micro-managing. They do not leave many decisions up to the store manager. Most of the store managers are office riders. So disappointed with the health benefits.

My advice would be to hire leader, not managers. Leaders drive sales and create opportunities, managers just try to keep their job.

Running Around... No Heads to Be Seen...

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Cicero, NY
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Cicero, NY

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The employee discount given, and access to extra discounts on 3point5, are the best that I've seen in most other companies. The people are great to work with, if you come into contact with a store that has a more "family" oriented vibe versus the "dog eat dog" tone.

Cons

There is a laundry list, and simply reading other reviews on this site about this company hits the nail on the head EVERY TIME. The lack of hours/staffing is a HUGE problem company wide and the investments being made to build new "million dollar" stores is being wasted instead of reinvested into currently operating stores.

The metrics drive is absolutely asinine. The greed of the company is becoming worse as the years go on. Summits, credits and now even Pro-Plans for firearms add-on's are REQUIRED with no wiggle room. If you don't get your numbers, you don't work. Regardless of the actual productivity of the individual.

Promotion from within the company is RARE, to be honest, it's all about WHO YOU KNOW. Or if you're willing to cut heads of coworkers and watch them roll. The pay compensation is the lowest compared to most competitive retailers around, and considering the sensitive items we sell, it's not the best to bid the lowest on "warm bodies" to fill a spot.

The communication between stores and corporate is lacking, slightly non-existent and whatever corporate does in Minnesota is beyond understanding. They order the wrong products for the wrong time of year, the ad sales are NEVER correct and ALWAYS have errors, things are done halfway or wrong, if done at all. And nothing is smooth transitioning.

Upper corporate management needs to find a system and STICK WITH IT FOR MORE THAN A FEW MONTHS.

Lower management needs to treat employees better overall. From pay to scheduling to work loads.

way too much pressure to sell credit cards and summit protection plans

I have been working at Gander Mountain

Pros

The summit protection plan is an awesome protection plan, however if you don't push push push them, you will lose hours.

Cons

Corporate pushes hard to sell GM MasterCards and Summit protection plans. We have strict goals we have to meet every day and if each employee isn't getting enough of both based upon the hours they worked that particular week, you will get less hours and/or be taken off the schedule completely. The put more emphasis on selling credit cards than they do on customer service and sales, in my opinion.

Typical big box store, no personal connection with employees.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Gander Mountain part-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent discounts, decent training on product line.

Cons

Constant change of management and always seemed to be changing their policies.

Find a formula that works and stick with it.

Store Manager Hates Their Job!!!!

Current Employee - Store Manager (Hating IT)
    Current Employee - Store Manager (Hating IT)

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good people in the stores. Good discounts. Good customer base for the most part. It needed to be more structure and it is more than structured than ever. Just doing things for compliance reasons not because its needed. It is growing and opening more stores but there is no infrastructure to handle the current stores much less more.

Cons

Really this place sucks!!! Poorly managed. Spend money on fixtures constantly and nothing on technology that would make the job so much easier! All we hear is credits"rewards card" Pro Plans, summit "extended warranties. All of these rank more important than sales on the stores report card. Communication is terrible! Resets are poorly planned. Never have product out of stock 4 to 5 weeks before replenished and for some reason the mind set is its the stores fault.
    The regional leaders are clueless of whats important, the district managers for the most part are rejects from other retailers, and they all constantly are running around worrying about visits from David Pratt. I'm still here and can not wait to get out. First chance I'm gone! There is no one happy with the company unless they are a new manager sucking up and trying to build a resume to use to get on with a real company.

Stay focused on what you can do to make the stores job easier not harder. Events are unproductive and a waste of time and not advertised! Resets are terrible! Plan o gram apparel???? You can't even get hard lines Plan o Grams right for now going on 5 years. Focus on whats important and quit trying to stay a float pushing credit cards and summits and any thing else that exploits the customers.Technology is where we need to spend money to make the stores job easier! Everything is always the stores fault and never does anyone consider what is being asked of the stores on a daily basis. Everyone is just trying to survive at all levels. David Pratt sell it and let a retailer improve it not a beer producing executive and the group he brought with him. Sell to DSG or Cabelas anyone can do better.
     Really THIS PLACE IS A JOKE!!!

The employees were both very professional AND very friendly in a family way. I felt immediately accepted.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Gander Mountain part-time for less than a year

Pros

The company pushed their rewards program (a charge card) and their one year warranty (a summit program) but did it in such a way you felt positively challenged to meet the goal. The store I worked for continually won the regional award for most cards and summits.

Cons

The scheduling, as in most retail establishments was inconsistent leading to confusion. The work schedule also could only be accessed by in-store computer.

Please take a look at what the Grand Rapids stores are doing and copy them. The team atmosphere, the leadership and management were superior to any big box store.

Gander Mountain Photos

+ Add Photo

Worked for Gander Mountain? Contribute to the Community!