www.gandermountain.com

Updated December 16, 2014
2.7

Gander Mountain Chairman and Interim CEO David C. Pratt
David C. Pratt

Pros
  • Employee Discount Program ( but not enough to off set Cons) (in 20 reviews)

• Most people were fun to work with, and working within the outdoor industry was also fun (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • We spend more time trying to hawk credit cards than we do selling anything (in 56 reviews)

• Over do it on getting protection plans (warranties) and credit cards (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work and shop

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ocala, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ocala, FL

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good training and benefits. The staff and management are very friendly and want everyone to be successful. It is a great place to work and will allow you to obtain skills you can transfer to other jobs.

Cons

None really, as long as you work hard and stay on task. Its about the same as any other place you could work at. The best employees are the ones who are willing to go above and beyond expectations.

None

Interesting

Current Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Small tight knit community, stores have a competitive friendship. Employees are motivated and can enjoy their jobs.

Cons

Company is established yet, still attempting to define itself. Technology is non existent, continue to hear rumors of the future that never appears

Listen to the stores constructive criticism, micro management is non productive.

Good

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Augusta, GA

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Short sweet and to the point

Cons

Drug tests, bad co workers, too high budgets

None

Commission is not everything

Current Employee - Hunting Sales in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Hunting Sales in Houston, TX

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible with most schedules, family environment

Cons

Expect alot with little return. Commission does not make up pay rate lost during transition

Need better cohesion between merch. support and associates working the floor. Get rid of Commission and Start hourly for associates higher than $10.

Bias Work Environment

Former Employee - Softlines Zone Manager
    Former Employee - Softlines Zone Manager

I worked at Gander Mountain full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, decent benefits and discount.

Cons

If you are female good luck! No respect and a very bias work environment. No work life balance.

Pay attention to who is most qualified for the positions that are open instead of promoting the store manager favorite. Broken policies and procedures for the company.

Customer Service

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Janesville, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Janesville, WI

I worked at Gander Mountain part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The discount was really nice. They were also pretty flexible with the hours that you could work

Cons

The pay sucked. You could only work a max of 20 hours a week and if you ever went over it was your fault instead of the manager. No real room to grow within.

be better maanger

An average retail environment.

Former Employee - Shoes in Winchester, VA
    Former Employee - Shoes in Winchester, VA

I worked at Gander Mountain part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you're good at selling you can make a decent commission rate

Cons

Understaff so don't always expect to be able to earn you hourly plus commission because checkout always needs help and they will pull you away from the customers. Ps commission is only for shoes and guns.

Your turn over rate is crazy! We had eight employees quite this month! It's honestly a better than average job if you have a work ethic but 90% of the high schoolers you hire expect money to be handed to them. Even adults were lazy on the job, so to hold on to good employees you need to offer full time and not just make everyone a "supervisor"

Dysfunctional, Chaotic, lacks good management.

I worked at Gander Mountain

Pros

Awesome team of associates carries the store.

Cons

Store is severely understaffed. Management up hides out in back office or apparel when associates are begging for assistance. Absolutely no training for new personnel. Company focuses solely on pushing Summits and Credit Cards because they get a kickback that pays they're bonuses. Associates are forced to deal with angry customers multiple times a day, thus creating a hostile environment.

Your only as good as the team that carries you. Your management skills are non existent. Your running this store into the ground and it seems the DM turns a blind eye to it as well.

Was good for a month but then it went down hill from there.

Former Employee - Apparel Associate
    Former Employee - Apparel Associate

I worked at Gander Mountain part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount in-store is 30% for Gander brand items and 20% for other brands.

Cons

There is a lot of things I have to say about the problems of this company. As an apparel associate, they expect you to follow a planogram even though corporate changes it every week, and they expect you to get protection plans and credit cards while on the sales floor. This wouldn't be a big deal if they had more employees. There is usually about three people working on the sales floor and they expect you to keep things clean, restock items, have great customer service, and get protection plans and credit cards. But that wasn't the main problem that I had with this company.

The management is horrible. They don't care about their employees availability at all. I tried multiple times to change my availability because of circumstances that I explained to them, but somehow my "request" never got through to them. I've spoken to my manager and sent the manager an official availability change, but that somehow got "expired". I requested to work morning and mid-shifts, and after three weeks my availability would go back to normal. The week after I requested this, I was scheduled for all night shifts, and they had me scheduled later than normal compared to when I worked previous night shifts. When I went to my manager about this, he said there was no way he could change it. He claimed the only people who could change was corporate, which is a complete and utter lie. Corporate has nothing to do with the schedule. I would definitely not recommend this job for anyone.

My advice to management is start looking for another job, because this company will end up completely destroying itself.

Disgusting management

Current Employee - Firearms Sales in Algonquin, IL
    Current Employee - Firearms Sales in Algonquin, IL

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount, pro-deals and fellow sportsman to work with

Cons

Manger is constantly barking on headset about protection plans and summit plans. He sits in the office all day watching people on the cameras and then asking them why they are not getting the metrics as they call it. He never is out on the floor leading by example. Half the time I think he is drunk. I started out working here when the store first opened but now it is a joke. We are constantly out of stock on key items, it is kind of hard to sell something you don't have...opps wait a minute, their our on-line store. This company is run worse that any retailer I have worked for. I am glad I left.

Look at how you treat your employees. Writing an associate up for not getting a high interest credit card is disgusting.

Gander Mountain Photos