Gander Mountain Reviews

Updated April 20, 2015
257 reviews filtered by

1. Owner and base camp are clueless. I'll be Surprised if Gander exists in two years.

Current Employee - Softlines Zone Manager
    Current Employee - Softlines Zone Manager

I have been working at Gander Mountain

Pros

Fun people to work with and great to interact with customers

Cons

Where do I start? I have been employed 9 months and almost my whole district has turned over management. Base camp needs to get a clue how to manage a big box company. They decide to change policies almost weekly and flip flop all the time on what they believe. The owner is a jerk who won't even shake your hand when he comes into the building, cause people want to work for that? The whole company is run through fear and intimidation from the top down. This is my last week at gander and I would never suggest anyone to ever work for this broken company. As stated earlier I'll be shocked if they exist in two years.

Advice to Management

Get a grip

2. Not great, nor dependable

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hixson, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hixson, TN

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours interesting coworkers. Descent discounts. Fun environment to work in.

Cons

Barely any hours if you aren't a supervisor, complete lack of responsibility on management. resets are completely unorganized. corporate has no clue what is going on in stores, as long as there are good numbers, that is all that matters.

3. I'd rather put my hand in a meet grinder

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time

Pros

Employee discount, fun co workers

Cons

Stop pushing the credit card, summit plans, and protection plans. Let us sell products and lower prices on products.

Advice to Management

Be a leader not a boss. Don't say you can sell firearms then tell a customer you'll give them 20% off because you want to look good in front of your employees.

5. Management is clueless.

Former Employee - BATF Supervisor
    Former Employee - BATF Supervisor

I worked at Gander Mountain

Pros

There are a lot of interesting co-workers, with various backgrounds.

Cons

Lack of leadership, direction, and hours.

Advice to Management

Quit focusing on credit cards! If you have a superior product/experience the customers will want to do business with you.

6. The owner is the biggest problem.

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time

Pros

Great products and awesome discounts. It can be a lot of fun working around all the outdoor products if you're into that.

Cons

The owner is more worried about signs and displays than the people in the stores. He manages his people through fear and intimidation so that culture trickles down to everyone in the company. Everything comes down last minute with no clear plan or sense of organization. It's all shoot from the hip with the leadership of the company. They absolutely do not value their people and fire management on a whim. With any retail there's usually a desire for more payroll and hours, but this company tries to run the stores on less than a skeleton crew.

Advice to Management

Understand that you can't have any success long term in retail without attracting and retaining the best people. Which means, worry more about the human beings in the buildings and less about the fixtures, products, signs, etc. Cutting payroll is only going to make sales lower in the long run because the lack of coverage will ultimately run customers away.

7. Room for Improvement

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time (less than a year)

Pros

My co-workers are great! We are a close knit group! Love the products and talking the outdoors with customers. Health insurance is reasonable and benefits are good.

Cons

The company is very bad on training. Have to learn things on your own and when asking a question you are made to feel dumb. To much time is being spent on pushing credits and summits. Spend that time training and the associates will want to sell credits!!!

Advice to Management

Spend time in the stores!

8. Indifferent

I worked at Gander Mountain

Pros

They offered a Very flexible schedule which was nice during the summer time. Boss was not breathing down your neck for productivity

Cons

The days could get long and hard when working out in the field. Hard to stay motivated for long periods of time.

Advice to Management

Work in activities between data collection days to break up the work. Monday was always way more tolerable than Friday due to the monotony.

9. bad experience

I worked at Gander Mountain full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great store manager, the soft lines and hard lines managers are clueless very sad how they expect you to kill yourself as they watch and take smoke breaks, shop etc, not good role models. There are hourly associates that work so much harder and keep getting screwed. Who does their reviews.

Cons

corporate has no clue what goes on in the store, they should go to store and actually work with their requests and then see how well they work. Awful

Advice to Management

don't treat employees like second class citizens, be realistic, invite corporate to come to store and see they have no clue what really needs to be done in store.

10. Great company to work for

I have been working at Gander Mountain

Pros

Laid back with obvious sales expectations

Cons

Too much emphasis on metrics

Advice to Management

Be nicer to employees

11. Bad management, treat employees poorly..

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middletown, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middletown, NY

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are no good reasons to work here. Management doesn't care enough to implement any good reasons. They fire excellent workers on a daily basis. If you want a job where you can be replaced at a drop of a pin.. Then you will work here. I would not recommend working here at all. Minimum wage at best. Long days,

Cons

Getting enough hours to support your family. No raises in pay. Not properly staffed

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees instead of firing the ones who care about your business. The ones who enjoy their work & make money you should keep. Letting go of them is your mistake. Certainly wont help your store any.

Gander Mountain Photos