Gander Mountain

Updated September 16, 2014
2.6

Gander Mountain Chairman and Interim CEO David C. Pratt
David C. Pratt

Pros
  • Employee discount was good then they started cutting back (in 16 reviews)

• Most people were fun to work with, and working within the outdoor industry was also fun (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • We spend more time trying to hawk credit cards than we do selling anything (in 43 reviews)

• Over do it on getting protection plans (warranties) and credit cards (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun job in the beginning with fun manager

Former Employee - Stock/Apparel Associate  in  Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Former Employee - Stock/Apparel Associate in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I worked at Gander Mountain part-time for more than a year

Pros

Loved the work and the customers and most of the mgnt in the first year opened.

Cons

You were assigned to do stock or work various Depts. then blamed if don't help a customer get what you weren't trained for. Some fired for getting too many credit cards, others for not enough. Later management would not work with customers on price match, etc. could have saved a sale but lost a customer permanently over petty issues. When sales slowed due to the economy and lay offs in the area, those of us making more were dropped for stupid reasons that were not justified and in times past sued over. Newer Mgnt needed more training or something. When I was dumped I missed the work but not the Co. anymore. Don't even shop there now.

Don't dump people because some idiot forgets his credit card and floor lead walks off not being helpful. It turned into Big Bro it seems. Those who appeared to be useful lied.

Thankful I left

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Gander Mountain full-time

Pros

coworkers are great, very supportive

Cons

Sr. Management/Leadership lack the ability to see the big picture, often deviating from simple strategy becasue it is the flavor of the day. There is an expectation that PM's are available 100% of the time, even when on vacation, when they actually let you take what little they give you.

If you want to truly grow your business, and be the best in this space, you need to take a hard look at the way you treat your employees. You currently due not foster an entreprenuial environment, instead, the environment that exists is one where it is unacceptable to fail, and failing doesn't express itself in the stanard write-up, it expresses itself termination. If you were to truly look into the workplace satisifaction level of your employees, I think you may be suprised to find out that there are quite a few that share these exact same sentiments

Great Environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy to get along with everyone.
    Ability to work in other departments to help guests
    Some managers helping you learn

Cons

Disorganized receiving area
    Some managers won't help ring, and always pass it off to others who are busy.
    Office support really lacks

Listen to some part time workers as well as management to get to know the whole store

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I love my job. Unfortunately I don't make enough to support myself here, so it's more of a Sunday job.

Current Employee - Firearms Sales
    Current Employee - Firearms Sales

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time

Pros

Talented staff.
    Understanding, experienced management.
    Incredible discounts.
    Commission for Firearms employees.

Cons

Not a great opportunity for advancement.
    Less than stellar wages.
    Prices are high so it can be difficult to sell.

Pay your part timers and full timers more. Lower your prices to be more competitive.

good company

I have been working at Gander Mountain

Pros

perks to working here and discounts

Cons

heavy focus on quota and not actual relationships

Pays good

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Works with your schedule and is flexable

Cons

sometimes you soend more time at work than with your family

Not what I signed up for.

Current Employee - Firearm Sales, Gunsmith  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Firearm Sales, Gunsmith in Houston, TX

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time for more than a year

Pros

20-30% off of merchandise, flexible hours, some knowledge is gained from a few knowledgeable staff members.

Cons

No advancement of positions, raises, or employee incentives. Be prepared to focus only on credit card and warranty sales, the interest rate for the card is almost 20% so it's pretty hard to sell, and it's almost impossible to do things the logical way, you have to do it the "gander way". In retail the focus usually is the dollar amount you bring into the store, yet with this company all they seem to care about is how many credits and summits you get. I personally sell between 4-7 guns a day and management can't appreciate that, all I hear is that I need to focus on credit cards and not guns. Which makes no sense. If possible stay away from this company as you will be underpaid, overworked, and unappreciated.

How about some inside promoting instead of hiring outside people for jobs that current associates are able to do. Also, if you're so focused on metrics then hire people who ONLY handle metrics. I came to the company to sell guns, not credit cards, and my intimate knowledge of firearms stemming from 15+ years military experience, and over 45 years of being around firearms in general is soon leaving.

Not a pleasant experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Corsicana, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Corsicana, TX

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time for less than a year

Pros

Discounts were decent at times. I got to meet some really nice people. I also got to learn more about the types of hunting and fishing products they sold.

Cons

I wasn't impressed with the leadership. Training was not very helpful or informative. The pay is not very good for some departments. The schedule was terrible and you never get the hours you are offered when you get hired.

You need to provide better pay to attract more quality employees. If you say you are hiring someone for a certain amount of hours, then give them what you say.

A pathetic, soulless company.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent employee discounts through manufacturers.

Cons

Corporate is running this place into the ground. Employees are constantly dissatisfied and can do nothing about it, corporate just seems them as an employee number. All that matters is if you get people to sign up for credit cards or summit plans. No care for the customer or their experience shopping. Management is an absolute mess. Employees get little or no hours based on personal vendettas management has. Calls to human resources lead to nothing, management just continues to harass employees. If you are thinking about applying to gander mountain, do yourself a favor and just don't. If you currently work there, get out before Gander Mountain's corporate office consumes your soul. I can see the frustration in customers faces when they are asking questions about how a product works or how to best use it, and the employee rushes through a very brief explanation, and then begins to tell them all the things that could go wrong with the product, just so they can try to talk them into a summit protection plan. And then hound the customers about a gander mountain mastercard. I have seen co-worked basically try to demean customers and make them feel stupid for shopping there without one. It's absolutely sickening. People are getting sick of us employees hammering them so hard about summits and credits, and I have seen a sharp decline in the number of regular customers coming into the store. It's obvious the company does not care about them, their idea is just to get the customer in one time, sign them up for a credit card, and then send them on their way before they can realize what they just signed up for. Oh yes, and also we cannot refer to the Gander Mountain Mastercard as a credit card when trying to get customers to sign up, it is the "Gander Mountain Rewards Card." I've seen multiple customers get very upset thinking they were just signing up for a rewards program only to find out they just signed up for a credit card with 25% interest because the associate was not allowed to be honest. It really is sad that associates are required to act this way if they want to get hours. At one point in time, gander was a legitimate outdoor retailer, now you can find more hunting stuff at wal mart. Hey we do have plenty of chairs though, and cheaply made overpriced clothing!

Quit. Shame on you.

Just an awful place to work.

Current Employee - Hunting Associate
    Current Employee - Hunting Associate

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co-workers are great. The discounts from vendors on 3point5 is solid.

Cons

Corporate DOES NOT care about the customers or their employees.Literally all that matters to them are summit plans (extended warranties), credit cards, and firearm protection plans. We have been instructed that our job is to get the customer to buy something, sign them up for a credit or summit, and then get them out of the store, and not to "waste our time" properly outfitting the customer. I have seen a sharp decline in the number of actual outdoor products we sell and have seen them replaced with more clothing and camping chairs. They are trying to make the store too mainstream and fail to accept the fact this is a niche store, this is not wal-mart, we do not carry everything, and it is not for everyone.

Quit/kill self.

Worked for Gander Mountain? Contribute to the Community!