www.gandermountain.com

Updated December 16, 2014
2.6

Gander Mountain Chairman and Interim CEO David C. Pratt
David C. Pratt

Pros
  • Employee Discount Program ( but not enough to off set Cons) (in 20 reviews)

• Most people were fun to work with, and working within the outdoor industry was also fun (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • We spend more time trying to hawk credit cards than we do selling anything (in 56 reviews)

• Over do it on getting protection plans (warranties) and credit cards (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

All about the benefits

Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Cicero, NY
    Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Cicero, NY

I worked at Gander Mountain part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discounts and employee purchasing is awesome!. You spend you paychecks there before they hit your pocket.

Cons

management was terrible, along with pay. Pay was negotiable, yet still they capped you off.

Receive some education. Allow employees to empower themselves and provide hours to the people that work, not people that have been there for five years and avoid work.

tuff environment that you have to perform in

Current Employee - Firearms Sales in Lakeville, MN
    Current Employee - Firearms Sales in Lakeville, MN

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great deals, good people to work with usually. most supervisors are very helpful and good

Cons

huge breakdown in communication, pressure associates to reach goals to much, labor can be understaffed during non peak times

employees are the most valuable asset to a successful store and good customer service. The face of gander

Was good for a month but then it went down hill from there.

Former Employee - Apparel Associate
    Former Employee - Apparel Associate

I worked at Gander Mountain part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount in-store is 30% for Gander brand items and 20% for other brands.

Cons

There is a lot of things I have to say about the problems of this company. As an apparel associate, they expect you to follow a planogram even though corporate changes it every week, and they expect you to get protection plans and credit cards while on the sales floor. This wouldn't be a big deal if they had more employees. There is usually about three people working on the sales floor and they expect you to keep things clean, restock items, have great customer service, and get protection plans and credit cards. But that wasn't the main problem that I had with this company.

The management is horrible. They don't care about their employees availability at all. I tried multiple times to change my availability because of circumstances that I explained to them, but somehow my "request" never got through to them. I've spoken to my manager and sent the manager an official availability change, but that somehow got "expired". I requested to work morning and mid-shifts, and after three weeks my availability would go back to normal. The week after I requested this, I was scheduled for all night shifts, and they had me scheduled later than normal compared to when I worked previous night shifts. When I went to my manager about this, he said there was no way he could change it. He claimed the only people who could change was corporate, which is a complete and utter lie. Corporate has nothing to do with the schedule. I would definitely not recommend this job for anyone.

My advice to management is start looking for another job, because this company will end up completely destroying itself.

Sinking Ship

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Gander Mountain full-time

Pros

Discounts are very attractive, and customer base is good. Fun product to sell however its becoming to generic.

Cons

They have no idea who they are. One day they are going to do high end, then a mix of value items and now Kmart at best. They have walked away from their customer base. The focus everyday is credit cards, extended warranties, pro plans. Anything other than staffing the stores with trained and knowledgeable associates. There is NO training program. Many depts are not even staffed at all during the week. Technology is terrible but the spend a ton of money on remodels and new fixtures. New stores, old stores look new but no infrastructure. Base camp and the weak middle management do nothing to make the stores job easier. Embarrassing to be out of stock on key items week after week in peak seasonal times.

Quit wasting money on fixtures, remodels, building formats that require more staff and then not allowing enough payroll to staff them. Footwear is a great example. Gander is one of the few retailers that went backwards to product being behind the wall where customers can not help themselves. Instead they have to wait for an overworked understaffed associate to help find out if the product they want is in stock. It's not no complete size runs. Put some money into a replenishment system that works and doesn't take 2 to 3 weeks to replenish an item. Technology is how you help stores if you are not going to invest in human capital.

Disgusting management

Current Employee - Firearms Sales in Algonquin, IL
    Current Employee - Firearms Sales in Algonquin, IL

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount, pro-deals and fellow sportsman to work with

Cons

Manger is constantly barking on headset about protection plans and summit plans. He sits in the office all day watching people on the cameras and then asking them why they are not getting the metrics as they call it. He never is out on the floor leading by example. Half the time I think he is drunk. I started out working here when the store first opened but now it is a joke. We are constantly out of stock on key items, it is kind of hard to sell something you don't have...opps wait a minute, their our on-line store. This company is run worse that any retailer I have worked for. I am glad I left.

Look at how you treat your employees. Writing an associate up for not getting a high interest credit card is disgusting.

Worst Job Ever!!!

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Sherman, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Sherman, TX

I worked at Gander Mountain (less than an year)

Pros

the 20% discount was nice

Cons

poor training, did not get paid enough for what i had to deal with, and managers were so unhelpful, I had an upset customer that was screaming at me one of the managers walked right by us, the customer looked at him and said "are you a manager?" (still in his white collared shirt and beige pants) he said "yes but i'm off." and kept walking....

Hl Zone manager

Former Employee - Hl Zone Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Hl Zone Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Gander Mountain full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good discounts big deal I can go online and buy things just as cheap. No big incentive to me

Cons

No training no direction and a waste of time and talent they tell you to hire anyone who passes the drug test and back ground check and this is at a new location instead of putting in the the trained people they have and there new recruits should go to a established store what a joke they messed my life up.

Stop hiring other company's rejects like apple or kohls they didn't make it there they won't make it here also teach them about what you can and can not say to employees or your going to be sued in the near future.

Not pleasant.

Former Employee - Cashier in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Tuscaloosa, AL

I worked at Gander Mountain part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the coworkers are nice.

Cons

Management, Work Schedule, Hourly Pay, Work Life, Customers, and all you do is sell, they don't care anything about the customers or customer service just so long as you sold a summit plan and got the the customer to get that ridiculous credit card.

Don't just bark at your employee's if you can't deliver the same results that you are asking them for. Most of you are terrible managers and make people's lives miserable. That doesn't make you a good manager, just a jerk. The thing that gives me peaces, is that most of you will be there for the rest of your lives. Good luck with that.

Excellent part-time retail job during college.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in La Crosse, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Gander Mountain part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Since the store I worked at was in a college town many of us were college students, which made the atmosphere very fun. Besides rude customers and being stuck inside for long shifts, I enjoyed working at Gander very much.
    - Worked with a lot of like-minded people who enjoyed the outdoors and similar hobbies.
    - I learned a lot from my coworkers and customers about outdoor activities.
    - The discounts are decent. 20% on most merchandise, 30% on Gander brand, along with 3.5 training discounts and VAP employee discounts.

Cons

- Doesn't seem like it would be a great career: The majority of my coworkers were college students or retired people looking for extra money.
    - Having to sell customers on the Gander Mountain Credit Card and Summit Protection Plans: Management is constantly in your ear (literally on the radios) about talking to customers about these two things. It went against my better judgement to convince people to open another credit card they didn't need, but at the end of the day I had to do it to keep getting enough hours. However, management at my store tried very hard to make it fun and offer incentives to employees. They also did cheesy coaching activities to help employees improve. All in all, it's retail! Expect to have to do things like this.
    - Expect to work nights, weekends and holidays. I worked every holiday but got out of the days around Christmas by literally begging.

A So So Place To Work

I worked at Gander Mountain full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers
    Discounts on merchandise
    Many of the associates really do have a great deal of knowledge and experience to tap into.

Cons

Store management is under tremendous pressure to increase sales and credit card applications. This pressure filters down to the employees. They will go as far as threatening employees with termination if they don't get a sufficient number of credit card applications.
    Management has the attitude of "If you don't like it, there are people lined up to take your job". There is no loyalty to the employees whatsoever.
    Low wages but it's retail.
    If management is displeased with you for any reason they retaliate by decreasing the number of hours you work.
    The Company went public for a short period of time then did a stock buyout and returned to being private. When they were a publicly traded company the financial numbers and outlook looked pretty bad. Going private again shields them from scrutiny.

You are an outdoor oriented retail store not a bank. Resist the temptation of the easy money that credit cards offer and focus on the Gander Mountain brand to increase sales.
    Show a little loyalty and respect for your employees.
    Dave Pratt has been the "interim CEO" since about 2006. Maybe hire a permanent CEO.

Gander Mountain Photos