Gander Mountain Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Stay or go

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vendor discounts are great. I've also met numerous people that have made the experience a better one.

Cons

Stores can't give feed back to Basecamp about assortment or merchandising of the product. I was promoted, but it wasn't easy. I stuck around a year and 4 months for this. Its better to be employed than not...

2. Sales associate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, AL

Pros

Loved some of the associates and the customers.

Cons

Management is lacking. It's all about who you know to move up in the company. They say they work around school hours and in actuality they do not. They want open availability with everyone and in a college town it doesn't happen.

Advice to Management

Be more open minded and work with associates. They will help you all you can if you let them.

3. DO NOT WORK AT GANDER MOUNTAIN!!!

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is absolutely nothing worth being a part of a company which so irresponsibly sells firearms and so greatly lacks integrity.

Cons

Uncooperative with ATF & FBI on federal investigation of shooting. Hold store management and others in leadership positions accountable for their actions. Enforce policies and be fair. Associates terminated without just cause. Supervisors, Managers, and District Managers are not honest, not trustworthy, and greatly lack integrity.

Advice to Management

Do the right thing! The bottom line and the almighty dollar is not what matters most at the end of the day.

5. Lots opportunity to move up

Current Employee - Softlines Zone Manager
    Current Employee - Softlines Zone Manager

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with you Gander mountain for a little over a year and have been promoted 2 times and have received four raises. I feel as if Gander mountain is very fair when it comes to paying their employees a decent wage compared to other employers. Most other employers will not pay an employee for past experience beginner mountain does and very well so.

Cons

Some of the cons are that management oftentimes hires the wrong kind of employees to support their store. Many times employees with bad attitudes are allowed to prosper. Many people complain about having to sell certain things, but that is what you do in a retail environment so if you're going to complain about that don't work in retail.

Advice to Management

Run job fairs or at least attend them that way you could pick of litter not just those who apply for online jobs.

6. Customer service

Former Employee - Customer Service in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Morrisville, NC

Pros

Great discounts on 3 point 5 easy and flexible really mind numbing work

Cons

Horrible management that will not even listen to the staff. Honestly if you want to move up in this company you should look else where. More of a college job nothing serious

Advice to Management

Promote from within Stop having unrealistic metrics.\ The gander mounatin credit card sucks compared to Dicks or Cabelas

Footwear Supervisor

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time

Pros

I'm an outdoorsman so the products are fun and things in use on a regular basis

Cons

If you are looking to move to store manager I'd look elsewhere, as from what I've seen they ignore inside talent. You can make softie or hardliners manager and after that expect to get stuck

Advice to Management

Look at your own talent!

8. Meh

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Bryan, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Bryan, TX

I worked at Gander Mountain (Less than a year)

Pros

Discounts and the outdoor/firearm selection

Cons

Management sucks at their job, the higher it goes the worse it gets

Advice to Management

Give an employee notice when they become terminated. Instead of them having to find out.

Gander Mountain Review

Former Employee - Firearms Sales
    Former Employee - Firearms Sales

Pros

The best thing about Gander Mountain was that there were awesome employee discounts. If you work there you obviously have some interest in the outdoors so it can help you save money in your outdoor hobbies.

Cons

Typical retail environment. You have to deal with customers that can be difficult at times. Didn't bother me much, but if you do not like doing paper work probably not the job for you.

Advice to Management

Just let the workers do their job, they tend to know what they are doing and when you come in and start doing your own thing you throw the rhythm off.

Decent way to move up in retail

Current Employee - Hardlines Zone Manager in Newnan, GA
    Current Employee - Hardlines Zone Manager in Newnan, GA

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting environment to sell in and manage your team. Customers are generally excited to be in the store.

Cons

Corporate needs a lot of work. Lots of conflicting communication that results in lackluster performance from many districts. No concrete leadership other than CEO who seems unorganized and unwilling to support his stores in the way they need to be helped.

Advice to Management

This company can make a quick turnaround by focusing more on REAL price adjustments, slightly higher wages for its part time staff, and dedicating a marketing team for each district instead of relying whole on one team to make decisions that negatively affect the entire company. Needs to rely more on the notion that customers don't care about the name, they care about the price in this economy.

Firearms Employee

Pros

-Mostly good people to work with -To get time off is easily obtainable -Discount/wholesale programs to purchase from -401K offered to part time employees that matches up to 3% after a year

Cons

-Sense most departments went on a commission plan, the company will NOT give out any raises. My general manager said he agrees that it's wrong, and said if he tells them he wants to give me a raise, the company will say "Want to make more? Sell more." (Major reason to me leaving.) -The company seems very disorganized, managers and employees getting moved to different departments because their "needed", not what they were trained or hired for. -I know this was a one time occurrence, but even for this to happen once is a huge ball that was dropped by the company, sense I was in the firearms dept, I sold many handguns and long guns, at one point in time, the company forgot to renew the stores handgun license, so we were "technically" illegally selling handguns for about 3-4 month period. -Also, being the state we live in, and that most things are restricted ("assault rifles", magazine capacities, etc.), even though some if the inventory we receive is illegal for both the state to have and us to sell, and having to keep sending it back. Who's running the shipping dept?! -When I put my availability down when I get hired, I kept consistently getting calls on days and times that wasn't in my availability, and them claiming they didn't know. I was also told when I was hired that closing time was 9:00, and that's when I expected to be scheduled until and leave then, for a short period of time, our GM put us closing people on until 9:15 to check our areas out without asking me, going beyond the times of my agreement on my availability, and then they recently changed their closing time company wide from what I was told to 9:30, and just started to schedule me until then without my consent or letting me know of the change, once again going beyond the times of my agreement on my availability.

Advice to Management

-Get organized! -For the good, quality, knowledgeable employees that you have, even if their only part time, and on a commission plan, they deserve to be compensated for their time and knowledge there, they deserve a raise.

RSS Feed </> Embed