www.gandermountain.com

Updated October 17, 2014
2.5

Gander Mountain Chairman and Interim CEO David C. Pratt
David C. Pratt

Pros
  • Employee Discount Program ( but not enough to off set Cons) (in 20 reviews)

• Most people were fun to work with, and working within the outdoor industry was also fun (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • We spend more time trying to hawk credit cards than we do selling anything (in 51 reviews)

• Over do it on getting protection plans (warranties) and credit cards (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Great employer

I worked at Gander Mountain

Pros

Good people and great management

Cons

none as procedures are great!

none

I love my job. Unfortunately I don't make enough to support myself here, so it's more of a Sunday job.

Current Employee - Firearms Sales
    Current Employee - Firearms Sales

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time

Pros

Talented staff.
    Understanding, experienced management.
    Incredible discounts.
    Commission for Firearms employees.

Cons

Not a great opportunity for advancement.
    Less than stellar wages.
    Prices are high so it can be difficult to sell.

Pay your part timers and full timers more. Lower your prices to be more competitive.

good company

I have been working at Gander Mountain

Pros

perks to working here and discounts

Cons

heavy focus on quota and not actual relationships

Pays good

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Works with your schedule and is flexable

Cons

sometimes you soend more time at work than with your family

Not a pleasant experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Corsicana, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Corsicana, TX

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discounts were decent at times. I got to meet some really nice people. I also got to learn more about the types of hunting and fishing products they sold.

Cons

I wasn't impressed with the leadership. Training was not very helpful or informative. The pay is not very good for some departments. The schedule was terrible and you never get the hours you are offered when you get hired.

You need to provide better pay to attract more quality employees. If you say you are hiring someone for a certain amount of hours, then give them what you say.

Not what I signed up for.

Current Employee - Firearm Sales, Gunsmith in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Firearm Sales, Gunsmith in Houston, TX

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time (more than an year)

Pros

20-30% off of merchandise, flexible hours, some knowledge is gained from a few knowledgeable staff members.

Cons

No advancement of positions, raises, or employee incentives. Be prepared to focus only on credit card and warranty sales, the interest rate for the card is almost 20% so it's pretty hard to sell, and it's almost impossible to do things the logical way, you have to do it the "gander way". In retail the focus usually is the dollar amount you bring into the store, yet with this company all they seem to care about is how many credits and summits you get. I personally sell between 4-7 guns a day and management can't appreciate that, all I hear is that I need to focus on credit cards and not guns. Which makes no sense. If possible stay away from this company as you will be underpaid, overworked, and unappreciated.

How about some inside promoting instead of hiring outside people for jobs that current associates are able to do. Also, if you're so focused on metrics then hire people who ONLY handle metrics. I came to the company to sell guns, not credit cards, and my intimate knowledge of firearms stemming from 15+ years military experience, and over 45 years of being around firearms in general is soon leaving.

Just an awful place to work.

Current Employee - Hunting Associate
    Current Employee - Hunting Associate

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great. The discounts from vendors on 3point5 is solid.

Cons

Corporate DOES NOT care about the customers or their employees.Literally all that matters to them are summit plans (extended warranties), credit cards, and firearm protection plans. We have been instructed that our job is to get the customer to buy something, sign them up for a credit or summit, and then get them out of the store, and not to "waste our time" properly outfitting the customer. I have seen a sharp decline in the number of actual outdoor products we sell and have seen them replaced with more clothing and camping chairs. They are trying to make the store too mainstream and fail to accept the fact this is a niche store, this is not wal-mart, we do not carry everything, and it is not for everyone.

Quit/kill self.

A pathetic, soulless company.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent employee discounts through manufacturers.

Cons

Corporate is running this place into the ground. Employees are constantly dissatisfied and can do nothing about it, corporate just seems them as an employee number. All that matters is if you get people to sign up for credit cards or summit plans. No care for the customer or their experience shopping. Management is an absolute mess. Employees get little or no hours based on personal vendettas management has. Calls to human resources lead to nothing, management just continues to harass employees. If you are thinking about applying to gander mountain, do yourself a favor and just don't. If you currently work there, get out before Gander Mountain's corporate office consumes your soul. I can see the frustration in customers faces when they are asking questions about how a product works or how to best use it, and the employee rushes through a very brief explanation, and then begins to tell them all the things that could go wrong with the product, just so they can try to talk them into a summit protection plan. And then hound the customers about a gander mountain mastercard. I have seen co-worked basically try to demean customers and make them feel stupid for shopping there without one. It's absolutely sickening. People are getting sick of us employees hammering them so hard about summits and credits, and I have seen a sharp decline in the number of regular customers coming into the store. It's obvious the company does not care about them, their idea is just to get the customer in one time, sign them up for a credit card, and then send them on their way before they can realize what they just signed up for. Oh yes, and also we cannot refer to the Gander Mountain Mastercard as a credit card when trying to get customers to sign up, it is the "Gander Mountain Rewards Card." I've seen multiple customers get very upset thinking they were just signing up for a rewards program only to find out they just signed up for a credit card with 25% interest because the associate was not allowed to be honest. It really is sad that associates are required to act this way if they want to get hours. At one point in time, gander was a legitimate outdoor retailer, now you can find more hunting stuff at wal mart. Hey we do have plenty of chairs though, and cheaply made overpriced clothing!

Quit. Shame on you.

Pros and cons

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Hilliard, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Hilliard, OH

I worked at Gander Mountain part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent co-workers, good employee discount. Some what flexible with school schedules, co workers often able to trade shifts. Some team work. These pros do not help weight out the cons.

Cons

Forces employees to work on Thanksgiving and come back 3hrs later for Black Friday, typical retail hrs, no room for advancement, no pay raises, no incentives for credit card or warranty sales.

Offer incentives, close on thanksgiving, give pay raises, and allow good employees to move up in the company

Love the people

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Gander Mountain full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people!!!! The customers and the staff were all amazing. Made coming into work bearable.

Cons

Crazy management changes. Many good people lost there jobs unfairly because of upper management. Too many changes in product which ended up alienating customers.

Gander Mountain Photos