www.gandermountain.com

Updated November 20, 2014
2.6

Gander Mountain Chairman and Interim CEO David C. Pratt
David C. Pratt

Pros
  • Employee Discount Program ( but not enough to off set Cons) (in 20 reviews)

• Most people were fun to work with, and working within the outdoor industry was also fun (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • We spend more time trying to hawk credit cards than we do selling anything (in 51 reviews)

• Over do it on getting protection plans (warranties) and credit cards (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Footwear Associate

Current Employee - Footwear Sales Associate in Dothan, AL
    Current Employee - Footwear Sales Associate in Dothan, AL

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay for entry level job compared to others. Also, some positions make commission.
    Management is fantastic, they do hire from the outside, but they act like they've been a part of the team forever, well trained. Great working atmosphere, no micro management. A lot of reviews talk about pushing credits, pro plans, baskets, etc. They don't "push" them. Like every other company, there are goals that needed to be met, but you won't lose your job or be reprimanded for not get a credit or summit one day. As a footwear associate I average about 20 hours a week, part-time. Overall great job for an entry level position.

Cons

There aren't any cons as of now.

N/A

Depending on Management, A Decent Company to Work for

Current Employee - Customer Service Lead in Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Lead in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Employee discounts, Approved time-off requests, Decent benefits, Polite & Understanding management/supervisors, Most co-workers are helpful and knowledgeable

Cons

Too many part-time employees (leads to apathy)

The store manager at my location is terrific. He is hands-on, has a great eye for detail and offers exceptional guidance, enthusiasm and leadership for employees. In this case, I have very little criticism for management.

Running Around... No Heads to Be Seen...

Current Employee - Department Manager in Cicero, NY
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Cicero, NY

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The employee discount given, and access to extra discounts on 3point5, are the best that I've seen in most other companies. The people are great to work with, if you come into contact with a store that has a more "family" oriented vibe versus the "dog eat dog" tone.

Cons

There is a laundry list, and simply reading other reviews on this site about this company hits the nail on the head EVERY TIME. The lack of hours/staffing is a HUGE problem company wide and the investments being made to build new "million dollar" stores is being wasted instead of reinvested into currently operating stores.

The metrics drive is absolutely asinine. The greed of the company is becoming worse as the years go on. Summits, credits and now even Pro-Plans for firearms add-on's are REQUIRED with no wiggle room. If you don't get your numbers, you don't work. Regardless of the actual productivity of the individual.

Promotion from within the company is RARE, to be honest, it's all about WHO YOU KNOW. Or if you're willing to cut heads of coworkers and watch them roll. The pay compensation is the lowest compared to most competitive retailers around, and considering the sensitive items we sell, it's not the best to bid the lowest on "warm bodies" to fill a spot.

The communication between stores and corporate is lacking, slightly non-existent and whatever corporate does in Minnesota is beyond understanding. They order the wrong products for the wrong time of year, the ad sales are NEVER correct and ALWAYS have errors, things are done halfway or wrong, if done at all. And nothing is smooth transitioning.

Upper corporate management needs to find a system and STICK WITH IT FOR MORE THAN A FEW MONTHS.

Lower management needs to treat employees better overall. From pay to scheduling to work loads.

way too much pressure to sell credit cards and summit protection plans

I have been working at Gander Mountain

Pros

The summit protection plan is an awesome protection plan, however if you don't push push push them, you will lose hours.

Cons

Corporate pushes hard to sell GM MasterCards and Summit protection plans. We have strict goals we have to meet every day and if each employee isn't getting enough of both based upon the hours they worked that particular week, you will get less hours and/or be taken off the schedule completely. The put more emphasis on selling credit cards than they do on customer service and sales, in my opinion.

Typical big box store, no personal connection with employees.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Gander Mountain part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent discounts, decent training on product line.

Cons

Constant change of management and always seemed to be changing their policies.

Find a formula that works and stick with it.

You will have no life

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time

Pros

Good money, great people to work with

Cons

Too many hours, no paid holidays for salary (even though they tell you different), Too many Ads and projects going at one time,

Try to make work fun and offer a compliment every now and then. The only feedback from our store manager was negative.. I only found out that upper management really liked me after I left.

The employees were both very professional AND very friendly in a family way. I felt immediately accepted.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Gander Mountain part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company pushed their rewards program (a charge card) and their one year warranty (a summit program) but did it in such a way you felt positively challenged to meet the goal. The store I worked for continually won the regional award for most cards and summits.

Cons

The scheduling, as in most retail establishments was inconsistent leading to confusion. The work schedule also could only be accessed by in-store computer.

Please take a look at what the Grand Rapids stores are doing and copy them. The team atmosphere, the leadership and management were superior to any big box store.

Good part time work opportunity.

Current Employee - Firearm Sales - Commissioned
    Current Employee - Firearm Sales - Commissioned

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent in-store discount on Gander Mountain branded stuff (30%) and (20%) on everything else -excluding big ticket stuff like ammo, firearms and high dollar electronics, etc...

Friendly and generally helpful people to work with. Flexible schedule. Time goes by very fast because you stay busy (usually due to being understaffed...)

Local store management is great - considering what they are given to work with by upper management. New associate training is good and they are very willing to help when needed.

Cons

Constantly hammering the customer for Pro Plans, Summits, and Credit Cards. Hourly pay is terrible, but commission sales can make up for some of that if you are in a high traffic store. Always understaffed.

High prices with no wiggle room - very difficult to make a sale because we are usually priced higher than almost anywhere else. Not exactly the best position to be in when trying to close a deal. I could easily sell twice what I do and generate more revenue for the company if I had even 5-10% room on price - or at least able to throw in a box of ammo, etc. with a sale.

Let local management decide what to sell and give some latitude in pricing - or at the very least let them have some input. Quit the high pressure used car salesman tactics with the warranties and credit cards.

cultivates a culture of fear and intimidation.

Former Employee - Product Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Gander Mountain full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Initially the freedom and autonomy of working for a smaller company is refreshing. The people I worked with were terrific.

Cons

David Pratt (owner)runs the company with a fear based culture, it is either sink or swim. And if you swim it is according to his rules. And those change at a whim. What is most unfortunate it that there are truly dedicated, hardworking professionals in the organization but there is not a venue of respectful debate to move the business forward. Truly a demoralizing environment at headquarters.

Listen to your people, they want the company to succeed, you don't have all the answers.

Can't build a house with missing pieces

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people in my store are some of the best people I ever met, coworkers and customers alike. The job is fun because you're selling to customers you can relate to because you share the same interests. Discounts are great through online training through 3point5, you can get 40%, 50%, 60% off, sometimes discounts on wholesale price, and sometimes you can win free products.

Cons

Same problems you find anywhere in retail: severely understaffed. There is a HUGE stress to sell metrics and you can tell that takes precedence over a genuinely nice interaction with a customer. Like, you can work with a customer and go through the entire care process and outfit them entirely but if they don't get a summit, or credit, or pro plan it is like it doesn't even matter. Struggles with uninvolved management, hypocrisy, lack of direction, clique-y. The company itself never seems to make any sense. They often put items on sale but they won't ring up in the system. They give unclear directions. They don't often promote internally, they don't truly care about the a

Gander Mountain Photos