www.gandermountain.com

Updated November 20, 2014
2.6

Gander Mountain Chairman and Interim CEO David C. Pratt
David C. Pratt

Pros
  • Employee Discount Program ( but not enough to off set Cons) (in 20 reviews)

• Most people were fun to work with, and working within the outdoor industry was also fun (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • We spend more time trying to hawk credit cards than we do selling anything (in 51 reviews)

• Over do it on getting protection plans (warranties) and credit cards (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Just an awful place to work.

Current Employee - Hunting Associate
    Current Employee - Hunting Associate

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great. The discounts from vendors on 3point5 is solid.

Cons

Corporate DOES NOT care about the customers or their employees.Literally all that matters to them are summit plans (extended warranties), credit cards, and firearm protection plans. We have been instructed that our job is to get the customer to buy something, sign them up for a credit or summit, and then get them out of the store, and not to "waste our time" properly outfitting the customer. I have seen a sharp decline in the number of actual outdoor products we sell and have seen them replaced with more clothing and camping chairs. They are trying to make the store too mainstream and fail to accept the fact this is a niche store, this is not wal-mart, we do not carry everything, and it is not for everyone.

Quit/kill self.

A pathetic, soulless company.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent employee discounts through manufacturers.

Cons

Corporate is running this place into the ground. Employees are constantly dissatisfied and can do nothing about it, corporate just seems them as an employee number. All that matters is if you get people to sign up for credit cards or summit plans. No care for the customer or their experience shopping. Management is an absolute mess. Employees get little or no hours based on personal vendettas management has. Calls to human resources lead to nothing, management just continues to harass employees. If you are thinking about applying to gander mountain, do yourself a favor and just don't. If you currently work there, get out before Gander Mountain's corporate office consumes your soul. I can see the frustration in customers faces when they are asking questions about how a product works or how to best use it, and the employee rushes through a very brief explanation, and then begins to tell them all the things that could go wrong with the product, just so they can try to talk them into a summit protection plan. And then hound the customers about a gander mountain mastercard. I have seen co-worked basically try to demean customers and make them feel stupid for shopping there without one. It's absolutely sickening. People are getting sick of us employees hammering them so hard about summits and credits, and I have seen a sharp decline in the number of regular customers coming into the store. It's obvious the company does not care about them, their idea is just to get the customer in one time, sign them up for a credit card, and then send them on their way before they can realize what they just signed up for. Oh yes, and also we cannot refer to the Gander Mountain Mastercard as a credit card when trying to get customers to sign up, it is the "Gander Mountain Rewards Card." I've seen multiple customers get very upset thinking they were just signing up for a rewards program only to find out they just signed up for a credit card with 25% interest because the associate was not allowed to be honest. It really is sad that associates are required to act this way if they want to get hours. At one point in time, gander was a legitimate outdoor retailer, now you can find more hunting stuff at wal mart. Hey we do have plenty of chairs though, and cheaply made overpriced clothing!

Quit. Shame on you.

Pros and cons

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Hilliard, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Hilliard, OH

I worked at Gander Mountain part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent co-workers, good employee discount. Some what flexible with school schedules, co workers often able to trade shifts. Some team work. These pros do not help weight out the cons.

Cons

Forces employees to work on Thanksgiving and come back 3hrs later for Black Friday, typical retail hrs, no room for advancement, no pay raises, no incentives for credit card or warranty sales.

Offer incentives, close on thanksgiving, give pay raises, and allow good employees to move up in the company

Love the people

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Gander Mountain full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people!!!! The customers and the staff were all amazing. Made coming into work bearable.

Cons

Crazy management changes. Many good people lost there jobs unfairly because of upper management. Too many changes in product which ended up alienating customers.

Both good and bad

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedules, very laid back. Co-workers and management are awesome people. Job can be fun sometimes.

Cons

Inconsistent hours, low pay. The push and push and push of Summit Protection Plans and the Gander Mountain Mastercard and your job is on the line if you don't sell enough. Not enough employees on the floor during busy times due to lack of payroll. Customers get irate when there is no one to help them. GMTN offers brand training but you can never take the training because you are desperately needed on the floor all the time. Some employees don't get breaks due to low staffing.

Store management has no power to make positive changes for the individual stores. Base Camp controls everything. Get out while you can...this company won't be around very much longer.

Hunting/Firearm Associate

Former Employee - Firearm Sales
    Former Employee - Firearm Sales

I worked at Gander Mountain part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Request days off usually granted. Loved working with firearms.

Cons

Inconsistent workdays/hours, Some weeks had little or no hours. Unable to plan because I didn't know work schedule until the Friday before the workweek. Training consisted mainly of how to push warranty (Protection Plan and Credit Cards). No training on actual product we are selling. Constant, daily nagging on pushing warranty and credit cards. No knowledgeable or experienced hunter in hunting section. The inventory system is a mess; can't find things in back inventory. Horrible inventory system even for firearms. Management never praised you for selling firearms only for selling warranty plan and credit cards.

You are losing good people. You've forgotten why you are in business. No, it's not selling insurance (Summit or Firearm Protection Plan) or you are NOT a bank so it's not selling credit cards. When Cabela's opens their store in a few months they will eat your lunch.

Pushed Metrics

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Geneva, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Geneva, IL

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time (less than an year)

Pros

flexible schedle great employees to work with

Cons

pushed metrics unachievable standards etc

n/a

?

I have been working at Gander Mountain full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Discounts, flexible, knowledge, good customers

Cons

Poor product assortment, threats of losing job if credit card & protection plan goals aren't met

Get a clue

Great Company

Current Employee - Store Manager in Florence, AL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Florence, AL

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Outstanding work environment, with great customers and great product. The training programs for management are excellent as well.

Cons

I have seen at times issues with micro management. I also recall sales being less of a focus at times and more focus in the look of a store.

Communication of expectations are key. Furthermore, if you are going to claim to be a customer focused company, please act like it.

Overall good company

I have been working at Gander Mountain

Pros

Benefits are pretty good for the employee

Cons

Job would be easier if there was more payroll

Gander Mountain Photos