Gannett Reviews

Reset
2.9
Gannett CEO Bob Dickey
Bob Dickey

Pros
  • Worked with some very good people who wanted to do a great job but were often hindered by management from doing so (in 15 reviews)

• Work-life balance is pretty good for everyone outside of the sports department (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Having a healthy work/life balance is something that's frowned upon (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management routinely blamed lower level employees when something went wrong (in 9 reviews)

New Employee

Current Employee - Human Resources Recruiting Coordinator in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Human Resources Recruiting Coordinator in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Gannett full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff, very innovative, encourage feedback and ideas. New publisher in March who is very dynamic and really cares about the employees.

Cons

A lot going on with the recent restructure and current rebranding. Work load is a little heavier while we are going through the transition and filling positions recently added.

Advice to Management

Continue to reach out to the staff for current events and team outings. Focus on our company culture and continue to make this an exciting place to be every day.

Strategist

Current Employee - Strategist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Strategist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Gannett

Pros

Great coworkers, good downtown location in Cincinnati

Cons

Poor leadership communication, low pay, heavy workload. Very clique-y among local leadership, you're either in their favorite group of people of you don't really exist. No room for advancement and poor health benefits.

Advice to Management

When asking employees for thoughts and solutions, you should actually listen when they answer.

Started out great, turned into opposite

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Gannett full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Loved working with the corporation until the layoffs started. Like my workplace. Liked my fellow co-workers. Excellent salary for my expertise.

Cons

Management turned into a nightmare. Spiteful, good'old girl network. Sad way to treat quality people.

Advice to Management

Treating people with dignity and respect shows character. I loved working for your company until the integrity declined.

Dishonest Practices + Poor Morale = Worst Job of My Career

Former Employee - Local Sales Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Local Sales Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Gannett full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The insurance is decent, and some of the employees possess great teamwork.

Cons

The job title and description (as well as the promised compensation) that I received during the interview process did not line up with the actual job. Instead of a marketing role, I learned quickly that I was in a sales role. The company does not have a training structure, which made the job nearly impossible to do effectively since I had no prior newspaper or sales experience. To make matters worse, the environment was completely unstable with almost 100% turnover in a couple of years. I even witnessed two downsizes in other departments during my short time with the company. Management within my department would publicly berate an employee in front of other teammates, creating constant fear of job loss. When new leadership took over, I was forced out, instead of receiving proper guidance and support. HR listened to my concerns, but they did not investigate my issues with the culture. Gannett preaches work/life balance, but my department did not incorporate that philosophy. We were expected to work long hours, including weekends, to get the job done.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your employees in terms of on-the-job training and support from management. The managers within my department only cared about the bottom line, and that mantra along with inaccurate job descriptions are what led to extreme turnover.

6. Horrible company.

Former Employee - Reporter in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Reporter in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Gannett full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I would not recommend that anybody work for this company unless they are absolute desperate for a job. On the positive side, parts of this company have been known for advances in Affirmative Action, which I see as a definite plus.

Cons

The only thing this company is the bottom line. This company cares nothing about quality, as long as the money is rolling in at a sufficient rate. It has some of the poorest managers I have encountered. It is known in recent decades for hiring young employees because they are cheap.

7. Great learning experience but definite issues with Management

Current Employee - QA Automation Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - QA Automation Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Gannett full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supports growth in a career. Allows for training opportunities. Opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Pay is extremely below the market value. Upper management does not step in to help with middle management issues, even though they say they know and understand. Allows middle management kill morale and wipe out entire teams before taking action. Worked on average 70+ hours a week.

Advice to Management

Take your star employees and put them where they can shine. Do not leave them in places where it kills their ambition and morale.

Wishing I had left sooner.

Current Employee - Editor in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Editor in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Gannett

Pros

Free copy of papers provided at office.

Cons

Constant layoffs and furloughs while top brass rake in bonuses. Company cares more about the bottom line than putting out a top-notch product.

Advice to Management

Instead of handing out excessive bonuses to the top echelon, re-invest in the company by hiring more and better reporters, columnists and editors instead of cutting their jobs to the bone.

9. Visionary leadership, dysfunctional culture

Former Employee - Journalist in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Journalist in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Gannett

Pros

Visionary leadership moved Gannett into digital realms faster than other newspaper companies Slow to hire, but also slow to lay off (usually) Not bankrupt

Cons

Dysfunctional corporate culture often pits manager against manager Innovation from the ground up is discouraged Large, overly bureaucratic organization Poor communication at all levels

Advice to Management

Empower employees to innovate. Give them the time, resources and training to develop their own ideas, especially in digital. Encourage bottom-up solutions.

10. Decent but Not Great Place to Work

I worked at Gannett

Pros

Pretty good compensation Very nice benefits Decent opportunity for professional growth Good facilities Can usually get tickets to very nice local events

Cons

They are in a declining industry and are struggling to make do They have been laying off a lot of people

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to make more revenue in the current economy Find a new model for doing business

Inovate, Respond or Give up

Former Employee - Director in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Director in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Gannett

Pros

Exciting, fast paced and ever changing as they try to compete and find revenue streams in the face of dying circulation numbers. Great teams that love the business but without a voice that Management hears. They have responded well with CareerBuilder.com (which is a joint effort with other major newspaper chains), but have not found answers to their other two major revenue streams (Real Estate and Auto)

Cons

Dying industry, Gannet was too slow to react to the internet and instant news. Too focused on today's bottom-line to invest in the future of their business, and in many cases have become nothing more than a glorified delivery service of print media and print ads.

Advice to Management

Listen to your team and your customers and respond quickly

RSS Feed </> Embed