Gannett

Gannett Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Gannett President & CEO Gracia Martore

Gracia Martore

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, pay good for area, schedule somewhat flexible to balance family and work"
    in 14 reviews
  • "There are many good people within the company but a few spoil it for everyone"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Too much senior management that has been unable to produce expected results"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Sales staff has little to no knowledge of the products they are selling"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Old boy network is alive and well at Gannett if you are management, if not good luck.

Technician (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSteady paycheck, though its the same base level as it was 10 years ago with more deductions. Great staff down at the line level. You can park your brain at the door and get through the day just fine.

ConsFrozen pay, managers that pat themselves on the back and spin everything to avoid responsibility. The managers exemplify Orwellian concepts found in Animal Farm and 1984, whilst forgetting that these were required reading for many in high school. As others have written, drink the Kool-Aid, replace your neck with a bobble spring and keep your opinions to yourself if they differ from the corporate line. Forward thinking from line level employees is given lip service and then ignored. If they could, Gannett would take a 10% tithe for the "priviledge" of working at one of their properties.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership at the local level is survival by agreeing with the people in McLean so but they need to look at the local market and saying "this is not what our base wants" so we are going to stay the course rather than listen to the consultants from somewhere far away with connections in Virginia. Spend the money to upgrade and repair instead of the string and bubble gum approach to keep things working. Increase our pay - if McLean can double salaries and hand out ridiculous bonuses for themselves while the rank and file took pay cuts, unpaid furloughs and increased workloads to "keep the company afloat" just exemplifies management's attitude towards workers. This isn't the old south and the workplace is not a plantation, so keep your food and t-shirts and give us the pay we deserve and merit. Remember the base, the internet is not the new end all income stream.

Ship going down, management in full on panic.

Systems Analyst II (Current Employee)
Louisville, KY

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of employees still giving it their all.

ConsStaff levels have already fallen below minimum needed for company to continue operations with decent quality; management either does not realize this or, more likely, does not care.

After spending last two years trying and failing to become an internet company, company is now trying to become a TV only company; do NOT work for any of the newspapers, they are just being stripmined for the advertising revenue that is left.

Great Old Fashioned Ronald Reagan era company

Sales (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Gannett full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOld Company Fashioned Company Values!

ConsOld newspaper values but that can be a good thing

Advice to Senior ManagementMore profit sharing

Cares about bottom line financially, not it's employees. Understaffs technical staff dismissing all complaints.

Broadcast Technician (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSeemingly solid company. Expanding without financial boundaries. Has been around many years in various forms.

ConsInto hiring and staffing with inexperienced people regardless of work quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are silent but not stupid. The majority of employees are stuck at job, and would leave if possible. Employee treatment is legal but immoral and unfair.

Very bad environment, ship is sinking, management is panicking.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Pensacola, FL

I worked at Gannett full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people who work here are wonderful, hardworking individuals. Everyone is pleasant to be around. I had some great clients.

ConsMANAGEMENT. The management team is constantly in a state of panic. It's a horrible cycle. Management gets yelled at by corporate, then we get yelled at by management. I saw employees get cursed at and humiliated to the point of tears very frequently. The micro-management is on another level. Half your day is spent answering questions and emails about stuff management can easily find themselves in salesforce. The turnover rate is ridiculously high. Good employees consistently quit every month after they realize how manipulative management is. Having a healthy work/life balance is something that's frowned upon. If you don't come in early and stay late everyday then you are pegged as lazy and undedicated.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some responsibility for your team's failures. When you have as high of a turnover rate as PNJ does, it's time to start looking inward instead of saying all those former employees "just weren't right for this job" over and over. It's a very difficult environment to work in.

Graphic designer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Gannett

ProsNice office space, nice co-workers

ConsNo raises, cut hours or force overtime depending on work flow

Overall great company

Inside Classified Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Appleton, WI

I worked at Gannett full-time for more than a year

ProsGood benefits, pay good for area, schedule somewhat flexible to balance family and work

ConsMany changes in last few years.

Cheap Cheap CHEAP!!!

I have been working at Gannett

ProsFlexible hours, nice coworkers, casual atmosphere. That is about all I can say, there aren't many pros to list, unfortunately.

ConsRefuses to pay anywhere NEAR current rates for comparable area jobs. Did I mention they are CHEAP? Seriously, it's so SO bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees? Show them with a livable wage! No wonder the turnover is so high in this company. Also, at the start of 2014, they totally screwed our medical benefits, just because they could.

Not great, not bad...future not so good.

I have been working at Gannett

ProsGood work/life balance. Pay was decent and benefits were great.

ConsNot too much help from management. Worked my butt off and saw no recognition...ultimately, was let go because the newspaper industry is going the way of the dinosaurs.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times. This place is about 5-10 years behind in technology.

Evolving Company

Digital Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Gannett full-time for more than a year

ProsDefinitely looks like the company is heading in the right direction during this industry-wide transition. Great people. Opportunities to participate in extracurricular projects.

ConsMajor growing pains. Still trying to hold on to the legacy of print media as they try to push, promote and embrace new media. Clash between the old and the new.

Worked for Gannett? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gannett reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gannett CEO Gracia Martore. All 309 reviews posted anonymously by Gannett employees.