Gannett

Gannett Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Gannett President & CEO Gracia Martore

Gracia Martore

Pros
  • Good benefits, pay good for area, schedule somewhat flexible to balance family and work(in 14 reviews)

• There are many good people within the company but a few spoil it for everyone(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Having a healthy work/life balance is something that's frowned upon(in 7 reviews)

• Too much senior management that has been unable to produce expected results(in 12 reviews)

Poor upper mgmt

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFormerly Gannett Local
    Nice/friendly people
    Some opps for advancement, but most are hired from outside

ConsPoor upper mgmt
    Disconnected mgmt
    Poor raises and few reviews
    No work/life balance
    Now has poor benefits
    Endless cubes (think call center)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet connected to your people
    Work on keeping your good talent
    Keep getting people who can actually help (do work) and not just manage
    Consider for a moment that someone else in the room might be just as smart as you

Gannett could care less about its people.

ProsIt's a good place to learn creative programs and get experience. I wouldn't stay long after learning what you needed, though.

ConsZero raises, overworked for months now (50+ hours a week), newer employees are favored more than the older employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys need to reevaluate those who work for you, especially those who have been there for a good while. We're overworked and our personal lives are being negatively affected by this so-called 'business need'. Maybe if you reward the employees with the occasional raise so they can actually combat the rising cost of living. They make us play these childish 'board games' on the wall displaying our 'error' count in front of other employees. I'm sorry, but these incentives (such as getting a gift card for Target for example) are not a proper motivating factor. Our motivation is to do well so to avoid embarrassment.
    Nowadays people are quitting left and right. Is that your plan?
    Also, new programs are being rolled out and it's primarily the NEWER employees who are given the opportunity to learn them and hardly any of the older employees. Does that sound right?

Does not pay well

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsThis is a great place for people who have little to no experiance, and people who still live with there parents. Great place to start a career in sales.

ConsIs the lowest paying sales job in that industry, also worst healthcare structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementUper management looses good people because they do no listen, and do not pay enough considering how much each rep makes per month.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chaotic, poorly organized, and outdated structure.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsDefinitely a cool headquarters, Gannett is just a really interesting place to be. You have the opportunity to meet and network with some of the leaders in media without even realizing it.

ConsPoorly organized, no feedback or assistance. When I arrived I was given some material that was 4 years old and badly outdated, and that was the only guidance that I had to doing my job. I had no resources regarding how the company power structure had changed, how things were currently being handled, office organization, nothing. While I am perfectly competent and able to seek out the people who I needed to find the answers I needed, it was truly a waste of a few weeks for everyone that could have been avoided by a simple well organized office or orientation.

Used to be great

Digital Manager (Current Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsKnowing the news as it happened, always something new to do, vacation was okay

ConsAs people got laid off, they heaped more and more duties on those left

Life at Gannett

Multi-Media Account Executive (Current Employee)

Prospay is decent good people to work with depending on location of position, benefits are okay nothing to really to talk about other than the 401k was really nice. The health insurance covered enough to make it bearable for us

Consdigital revenue is never going to replace print revenue. sales goals are set way to high for many of the smaller territories to even come close to making the goal. The training is horrible most of it I taught myself about the selling points of the products and how to actually talk about digital marketing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the smaller territories a chance other than just a few months to work with the ridiculous goals that are set.

It was a friendly environment and respected there employees.

Fulfilment (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsGood environment, friendly people, and your a respected employee.

ConsThe companies pay scale is average.

My experience was really average. The people are okay.

Community Relations Intern (Former Employee) Tallahassee, FL

ProsNot extremely fast paced.

ConsNot a lot of upward mobility.

Great people, lousy corporation.

Reporter (Former Employee) Livonia, MI

ProsPeople you work with are wonderful and editors care about sections and story content. It's hard to describe office culture because reporters spend nearly all of their time out of the office covering stories, which isn't a bad thing. Still it's nice when you see other reporters and editors to discuss story ideas and coverage. Long hours with flexible schedules can be tiring, but it is nice to have that flexibility.

ConsWish there were more perks and hope that the news industry turns around.

Editorial Intern at Gannett Custom Media

Editorial (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsFelt like part of the team, no busy work, friendly and approachable employees

Consbig company, seems hard to move up

Worked for Gannett? Contribute to the Community!