Gannett

Gannett Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Gannett President & CEO Gracia Martore

Gracia Martore

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, pay good for area, schedule somewhat flexible to balance family and work"
    in 14 reviews
  • "There are many good people within the company but a few spoil it for everyone"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Too much senior management that has been unable to produce expected results"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Lots of cost cutting, terrible culture"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Place to Start

Sales Executive, Both Inside and Senior (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsIf successful, you can make a great income, and will be attractive for opportunities with other employers

ConsCorporate feel. You can tell that management is soaked in the blood of many young sales careers.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are selling a recruitment resource, yet there are so many inefficiencies in your recruiting cycle.

Inside Sales Representative

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe parking is affordable parking.

ConsWhere shall I start! The business model is the best place to begin. Calling accounts that have not ran an ad since 2006 might give you a clue they are no longer in business or are not a sustainable lead. That is if they were actually a business and were hiring something outside of a nanny. I think I have called every doctors office or dentist within my assigned territory month after month in hopes of the possibility that someone quit or their office grew since my last call. These accounts have been called since the DESC began in 2008. At some point you would think you would catch a clue this business model is ineffective. I have made approximately 1000 calls this month and had 1 customer say they were hiring, ONE! Yet, I will not get my commission check if I don't make my call goal. Speaking of call goal, your call goal is your call goal no exceptions unless you are not here. Office meetings, training are not an exception. Building ads or actually SELLING something are not an exception. Oh and what really impresses me if you are on vacation your ARE NOT given quota relief! To anyone considering this place, RUN! Do not waste your time!

Advice to Senior ManagementYour sales focus fails to deliver sustainable growth because it favors short term revenue growth over developing relationships, creating a positive customer experience and developing customer loyalty. Additionally, the unemployment rate is declining- meaning there are companies hiring. Why continue to call the same companies each month that are not hiring? Quantity does not equal quality and activity does not equate to productivity or revenue growth!

Dying industry

Page Designer/Copy Editor (Current Employee)
    Elmira, NY

ProsDoing what you love and what you wne to school for.

ConsFinding out that the industry is dying.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace online media.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Newspaper industry is going down hill very quick!

District Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Neptune, NJ

Prosgood work/life balance and benefits

Conslay offs every 6 months

Advice to Senior Managementbe a little more honest as far as where the direction of the company is headed

Great culture, opinion valued, high pressure, below par bennies

ProsGannett's Digital division has a great culture (startup feel) and provides a great working environment where most employees opinion or idea regardless of title is valued. Great place to learn and gain industry expertise very quickly. Bright individuals with creative ideas.

Consinadequate bennies, communication from leadership to front line is not consistent

Advice to Senior Managementshare overall vision of company and division respectively. This will give employees a sense of ownership and working towards accomplishment.

Enjoyed working for local Gannett newspaper

Reporter (Former Employee)
    Fort Myers, FL

ProsHad a lot of opportunities to do interesting things, meet interesting people, cover interesting stories.
    Decent training. Management in newsroom was hit or miss, but co-workers were a great bunch.
    Gannett is a big company. While that may be a negative for some, I found it a positive because they had set policies on sick time, overtime, vacation time, etc. The previous small company I worked for played very fast and loose with these items.

ConsSome manager are quite good. Some not so much. Concern about the future of newspapers in general is rampant in the newsroom.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to build better employee-management communication.

Director

Director (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat place to work - management is flexible - fast past never a dull moment never boring

ConsMany challenges with the changing climate for printed newspaper delivery

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to support your teams.

Very challenging, engaging and exhilerating.

ProsGreat pay, opinions valued and acted on.

ConsWorking on the digital side of the business and still being intertwined with legacy print newpaper

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep in communication with the front line and execute Kaizen philosophy

Could be better

Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Fond du Lac, WI

Prosflexibility, open door policy, friendly environment

Consoverly aggressive goal structure,

Advice to Senior Managementinstead of doubling goals from LY to a new Account Executive, try to be a little more reasonable

Very good experience, but to much of a hierarchy company.

V P of Real Estate (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsVery growth oriented company, strong cash flow and available capital paving the way for excellent future.

ConsCompany needs to let managers implement business plans more freely.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more of a bottom up company and get rid of the decision at the top all the time mentality.

Worked for Gannett? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gannett reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gannett CEO Gracia Martore. All 350 reviews posted anonymously by Gannett employees.