Gannett Fleming Reviews

Gannett Fleming Chairman and CEO William M. Stout
William M. Stout

1. Traffic System

I worked at Gannett Fleming

Pros

Great Company and good environment to work in. Enjoyed my time there, learned a lot and enjoyed the people I worked with.

Cons

Not enough time in the Field.

2. Good learning experience directly out of college.

I have been working at Gannett Fleming

Pros

Opportunity for as much company paid training as possible. Excellent benefits, opportunity for overtime pay. Flexible working schedules.

Cons

Leadership needs a better idea of what they want from employees. There is no clear path for advancement within the division of construction management.

Advice to Management

Create the opportunity for advancement within the company.

3. Good company for mid-level professionals

Former Employee - Former Employee
    Former Employee - Former Employee

I worked at Gannett Fleming

Pros

work flexibility was excellent, office culture, benefits were typical of larger firms

Cons

leadership heavy and over managed

Advice to Management

cross selling of work should be a priority to retain experienced and dedicated staff

5. Rapid professional growth with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Gannett Fleming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Office has small company feel with the benefits of the corporation. Salaries are competitive with the inclusion of overtime pay. Hours are reasonable most of the time, but always subject to a few long weeks. A lot of independence and responsibility passed on to junior staff, making personal professional growth potential very high compared to other firms.

Cons

Many small projects, which means people tend to be given projects and run with them. No real 'team' mentality within departments due to each person having 2-3 projects on their own receiving little assistance/support from anyone else. While overtime is a great benefit, it's rarely available due to small project budgets lending itself to many 'volunteer' hours on nights and weekends.

Advice to Management

Re-think the use of the term 'Performance Bonus' on the year end checks. Be more proactive in managing projects at the senior level rather than reactive, resulting in last minute scramble incurred on junior staff to amend issues that were raised to attention by clients days/weeks earlier.

6. Professional & Talented bunch

Former Employee - Transportation Planner in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Transportation Planner in Miami, FL

I worked at Gannett Fleming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Career growth opportunities and flex-time.

Cons

No work at home opportunities

Advice to Management

Let employees work from home during this digital age

7. It's a job...

Current Employee - Highway Designer in Audubon, PA
    Current Employee - Highway Designer in Audubon, PA

I have been working at Gannett Fleming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good work life balance, flex-time

Cons

perks, compensation, pto, not enough young professionals

8. Overall great, except for the layoff.

Former Employee - Structural Designer in Clearfield, PA
    Former Employee - Structural Designer in Clearfield, PA

I worked at Gannett Fleming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked for two other companies since 2011, and what I miss most is the flextime policy and reasonable utilization expectations. The company has an official policy on flextime, but my local office took it one step further and allowed us to work extra in any two week period to make up for a full day off (either before or after, just so it was the same pay period). Because of this, I was able to bank several weeks of PTO in just three years. Also, we were only informed of our utilization rate and how far off we were once a year and it was mostly my managers responsibility to fix it, which makes so much sense. My current employer puts almost all the pressure on the individual employee and reminds us daily. I should also mention that although they laid me off (obvious con), they did offer me a pretty reasonable severence pay (2 weeks, plus the remaining 4 days of the current week) along with an immediate pay out of the month worth of PTO I had accrued. This, along with unemployment, meant that I actually made more money during my 2 months between jobs than I did at either job!

Cons

To be honest, it was an amazing experience- while it lasted! My only complaint would have to be a lack of work sharing between offices, which ultimately let to my layoff. My local office had all its eggs in the state government basket and when stimulus money ran out, the were forced to cut a few of us loose.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the investment you've made in each and every employee. Before I was let go, Gannett had an impeccable record of limited lay offs, try to get back to that! Things happen, but I feel more effort could have been put into getting me work from other offices, or even offering me the opportunity to move to another office either temporarily or permanently.

9. GREAT company to work for!

Current Employee - Project Management Assistant in Valley Forge, PA
    Current Employee - Project Management Assistant in Valley Forge, PA

I have been working at Gannett Fleming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Our team feels more like a family rather than co-workers. My managements' (we have divisions, mine is Transit & Rail Systems) open-door policy is like no other. From middle-management all the way to the #2 guy in the company (I've never really spent time with #1 guy, so have no opinion) they listen to their employees and seem genuinely interested in what you have to say (and I'm in a lower admin position, where most managers would treat someone in my position like a secretary). Really can't say enough good things about this place! Almost forgot! They have a flex-time policy! Best policy ever and every employer who can, should adopt this policy!

Cons

I'm concerned that after just 1.5 years here, I don't see any room for growth for me. I'm already at the top tier in my field, and am very concerned my career here has grown stale already. But that's sincerely the only complaint I have.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Oh, and maybe add more social events (like happy hours) to keep building the team/family atmosphere! Helps when trying to retain employees!

10. Would have taken the other job offer if I knew

Former Employee - Engineer I in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer I in New York, NY

I worked at Gannett Fleming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Regular performance reviews and 5% raises every 6 months, good benefit, good (physical) work environment and resources

Cons

very cheap on their budgets. did not compensate for overtime many times, $200 budget for company picnic of 60 people, laid off half of the office when a large project was cancelled with 2 weeks compensation pay...after most people had stayed working and paid themselves using vacation pay, and then stayed working for free for hopes to keep a job. no reimbursement for the free time or vacation pay used. asked me to get certified as a diver for underwater bridge inspections and told me they would reimburse me, but then renegged 3 months later when i was certified saying that the insurance for a diver was too expensive so they werent going with that plan anymore. worst part to me was they didn't list a position on their company intranet page. The position was at an office close to my house and was for a position that was everything i had been looking for on their intranet page. The division manager said he didnt' think we'd be interested so he didnt ask us. People who had worked there for 30 years and should have had corner offices were in the cubicle next to me. I say that because they were good based on what I heard them doing on a daily basis. Compared to another guy who claimed 30 years of experience but had only been there a year and he just stared out his corner office window all day and could never answer a question. Great BSer though..

Advice to Management

dont be so cheap

11. Good company to work and grow

Current Employee - Project Manager in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Phila, PA

I have been working at Gannett Fleming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company takes quality control seriously and systematically implement a quality management system that is ISO certified. Managers and employees have good working relationships.

Cons

The company is based on an old fashioned ownership structure that favors a very small group of senior managers and exclude most other employees from ownership participation.

Advice to Management

Consider widening the ownership to all employees so that everyone has a stake in the company if he/she choose to.