Gannett Fleming

Updated November 17, 2014
2.8

Gannett Fleming Chairman and CEO William M. Stout
William M. Stout

Overall great, except for the layoff.

Former Employee - Structural Designer in Clearfield, PA
    Former Employee - Structural Designer in Clearfield, PA

I worked at Gannett Fleming full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked for two other companies since 2011, and what I miss most is the flextime policy and reasonable utilization expectations. The company has an official policy on flextime, but my local office took it one step further and allowed us to work extra in any two week period to make up for a full day off (either before or after, just so it was the same pay period). Because of this, I was able to bank several weeks of PTO in just three years. Also, we were only informed of our utilization rate and how far off we were once a year and it was mostly my managers responsibility to fix it, which makes so much sense. My current employer puts almost all the pressure on the individual employee and reminds us daily. I should also mention that although they laid me off (obvious con), they did offer me a pretty reasonable severence pay (2 weeks, plus the remaining 4 days of the current week) along with an immediate pay out of the month worth of PTO I had accrued. This, along with unemployment, meant that I actually made more money during my 2 months between jobs than I did at either job!

Cons

To be honest, it was an amazing experience- while it lasted! My only complaint would have to be a lack of work sharing between offices, which ultimately let to my layoff. My local office had all its eggs in the state government basket and when stimulus money ran out, the were forced to cut a few of us loose.

Appreciate the investment you've made in each and every employee. Before I was let go, Gannett had an impeccable record of limited lay offs, try to get back to that! Things happen, but I feel more effort could have been put into getting me work from other offices, or even offering me the opportunity to move to another office either temporarily or permanently.

It's a job...

Current Employee - Highway Designer in Audubon, PA
    Current Employee - Highway Designer in Audubon, PA

I have been working at Gannett Fleming full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good work life balance, flex-time

Cons

perks, compensation, pto, not enough young professionals

Would have taken the other job offer if I knew

Former Employee - Engineer I in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer I in New York, NY

I worked at Gannett Fleming full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Regular performance reviews and 5% raises every 6 months, good benefit, good (physical) work environment and resources

Cons

very cheap on their budgets. did not compensate for overtime many times, $200 budget for company picnic of 60 people, laid off half of the office when a large project was cancelled with 2 weeks compensation pay...after most people had stayed working and paid themselves using vacation pay, and then stayed working for free for hopes to keep a job. no reimbursement for the free time or vacation pay used. asked me to get certified as a diver for underwater bridge inspections and told me they would reimburse me, but then renegged 3 months later when i was certified saying that the insurance for a diver was too expensive so they werent going with that plan anymore. worst part to me was they didn't list a position on their company intranet page. The position was at an office close to my house and was for a position that was everything i had been looking for on their intranet page. The division manager said he didnt' think we'd be interested so he didnt ask us. People who had worked there for 30 years and should have had corner offices were in the cubicle next to me. I say that because they were good based on what I heard them doing on a daily basis. Compared to another guy who claimed 30 years of experience but had only been there a year and he just stared out his corner office window all day and could never answer a question. Great BSer though..

dont be so cheap

GREAT company to work for!

Current Employee - Project Management Assistant in Valley Forge, PA
    Current Employee - Project Management Assistant in Valley Forge, PA

I have been working at Gannett Fleming full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Our team feels more like a family rather than co-workers. My managements' (we have divisions, mine is Transit & Rail Systems) open-door policy is like no other. From middle-management all the way to the #2 guy in the company (I've never really spent time with #1 guy, so have no opinion) they listen to their employees and seem genuinely interested in what you have to say (and I'm in a lower admin position, where most managers would treat someone in my position like a secretary). Really can't say enough good things about this place! Almost forgot! They have a flex-time policy! Best policy ever and every employer who can, should adopt this policy!

Cons

I'm concerned that after just 1.5 years here, I don't see any room for growth for me. I'm already at the top tier in my field, and am very concerned my career here has grown stale already. But that's sincerely the only complaint I have.

Keep doing what you're doing! Oh, and maybe add more social events (like happy hours) to keep building the team/family atmosphere! Helps when trying to retain employees!

Good company to work and grow

Current Employee - Project Manager in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Phila, PA

I have been working at Gannett Fleming full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company takes quality control seriously and systematically implement a quality management system that is ISO certified. Managers and employees have good working relationships.

Cons

The company is based on an old fashioned ownership structure that favors a very small group of senior managers and exclude most other employees from ownership participation.

Consider widening the ownership to all employees so that everyone has a stake in the company if he/she choose to.

Good company, but ...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camp Hill, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camp Hill, PA

I worked at Gannett Fleming full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly people to work with. Respectful of the individual and their family. Not heavy-handed in applying policies but generally fair.

They allow more flexibility in your schedule than many employers do, at least if you're in a professional, rather than administrative position.

They're pretty good at giving you the resources to get a job done.

In the time (>10 yrs) I was there, I didn't see too many people get laid-off, although they tended to let people work there that should not have been.

Quite a few women in professional positions at GF; they seemed to be treated fairly - I didn't hear complaining that they were being treated unfairly, at least, not like other workplaces.

Cons

Although they encouraged personal growth, GF didn't have much opportunity for advancement and challenges unless people retired.

Because of lack of career opportunities, many college grads worked there for less than 5 years and moved on.

Move people around within orgs or the company to have more cross-training and challenges. This will help GF become versatile and growth-oriented.

Great company

I worked at Gannett Fleming full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health benefits, projects, stable work environment

Cons

Bonus, promotion, not greatly motivating or inspiring environment

A good mix of people and projects that make a satisfying work environment.

Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Woodbury, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Woodbury, NY

I worked at Gannett Fleming full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is large enough to attract some good working talent and win some of the larger, more interesting projects. The health benefits plan is a good Blue Cross PPO and there is some form of retirement savings program contribution by the company. Local management had a good supporting position on family being important, and community volunteering. Education reimbursement for masters degree pursuits.

Cons

Home office several hundred miles away, and out of state, did not understand the local market but insisted on it's one size fits all approach. Centralized management style to the point of micromanaging with little or no flexibility to the local offices. Local office directors needed approval from home office to hire a $10/hr. receptionist. Accounting group has no flexibility or consideration for the difference in client needs between private industry, and local, state or federal government contract accounting requirements.

Allow a little more autonomy to the local and regional offices to hire and make certain policy decisions as they know their local market best. Management needs some decentralization rather than the remote rule of unfamiliar territory by the proverbial "bean counters"..

Decent job with limited opportunities to grow

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist
    Former Employee - Environmental Scientist

I worked at Gannett Fleming full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits; office culture varies upon location

Cons

Average bonuses and not good with promotions. I was carrying out project manager level responsibility with did not receive any promotion or substantial bonus. Always blamed the economy for not providing good bonuses.

Invest in good employees.

PMA

I have been working at Gannett Fleming full-time

Pros

flexible hours, everyone is really nice and helpful

Cons

nothing bad to say about GF