Gannett Healthcare Group

Updated January 2, 2015
Updated January 2, 2015
2.5

Steve Hauber

Great bunch of folks to work with for the most part, benefits are below par

Former Employee - Managing Director
    Former Employee - Managing Director

I worked at Gannett Healthcare Group

Pros

Long time friends, ultra flexibility for director level and above, good vacation amount after 5 years (but too busy to take all my days 4 years in a rom). No micro-management. Hires some forward thinkers when it comes to creativity but really needs to step out of their old-school management and tech style. Trusted company with nurses and healthcare clients. New direction and owner may mean this company will have some freshness to it once again. Made some excellent friends there over the years. The best people tend to hang on here, or return after they go away.

Cons

Very confused and stressed management does not give any direction on future plans, goals, or assistance in developing new business. Very little communication from Sr. VP level and above. Long time problems not addressed, long time employees not rewarded.
    Company was just sold with no communication to the employees except for the highest level CEOs - I don't think even half the Exec board knew about it.
    Salaries were "frozen" a few years back but many people in the company continue to advance unexpectedly, so this must be a ploy to keep upper level salaries the same. Very demoralizing to have healthcare and taxes increase so dramatically that you are bringing home 15% less now than you were 5 years ago, yet you continue to work harder and smarter for the company.

Take the opportunity with this new company to gain a fresh start. You were a rock star eight years ago, Times have changed, so what can you bring back from those glory days to combine with new technology and thinking? What do your readers and users want? Have you asked recently?

Good fit for me with one drawback.

I have been working at Gannett Healthcare Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growth opportunity is there. Autonomy and schedule work for me.

Cons

The one drawback: by far the worst benefits package of any position I've ever held. The deductible is so high that I will never reach it (without something terrible happening). So I will pay out of pocket for regular needs with this plan. Horrible.

I have been with the company for two years. Some areas need improvement.

I worked at Gannett Healthcare Group full-time

Pros

People in the company are great to be around, the atmosphere is stress free. Great name to add to the résumé experience.

Cons

Cheap approach when it comes to employee compensation.
    Coming from print background, it's hard to change the mindset and adapt to the new media era. Old staff wants to secure the job as long as possible and the excuse is that Nurses are old and need old and traditional media... Until that changes, the company will struggle like any other print medium.

Training not good... need to figure things out on your won. Good luck...

Decent work environment due to new location. Subpar employee relations. Very unfortunate management.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Gannett Healthcare Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- New building location is good for restaurants to get away from unfortunate management.
    - Functional in-house gym in the new headquarters location.
    - Decent company to have on your resume for future endeavors.

Cons

- Terrible management all of the way up to C level executives.
    - Adverse work conditions in its hub locations such as Lisle, IL and other various call centers.
    - Employee relations are terrible due to bad management which stems from C level executives.
    - Poor acquisition transitional phases causing layoffs and stunting the ability for current employees to advance.
    - Unstructured due to the retainment of poor VP and director level personnel that do not possess fundamental business ideology and execution.
    - Limited productivity due to the structuring and leadership of its Information Technology Department, with turnaround times for business/technology related issues sometimes, more than not, exceeding 3-4 weeks.

Restructure C level, VP and director level management. The benefits will flourish throughout the rest of the company.

I have been working at Gannett Healthcare Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, flexibility, great products, stock.

Cons

Not micro managed or even managed.

Reduce your management and level the playing field for all. No raises in 3 years is causing employee moral to suffer.

A once valuable product going downhill quickly

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Gannett Healthcare Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are some talented a people there.

Cons

Lot's of favoritism and promotion of people who did not have talent or knowledge of the industry.

Understand your customers needs and the business of healthcare and publishing. Stop promoting and rewarding those who do not have knowledge or talent. Listen to those who may not be as "flashy" or in the "cool" group but who do good work, are professional, honest, thoughtful and willing to disagree with you to maintain the company's and their own professional ethics.

Ready to move on from here

I have been working at Gannett Healthcare Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great business connections
    Encourages community service
    Encourages continued education

Cons

Poor management
    Not a great place to grow and move in a position
    Work needs are often ignored or not met [i.e., up to date computers, software, etc.]

Take a few moments to listen to your staff and hear what they have to say about their needs to help further the business. Doing a huge disservice to staff and potential clients when staff has limited resources.

Great product, no employee loyalty.

Former Employee - RSM Advertising in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - RSM Advertising in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gannett Healthcare Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great insurance package, great product

Cons

Laid off when sales were up 31% and was replaced with a lower paid title. It's all about the bottom line with Gannett, not their employees.

Be loyal to your profitable employees.

Not bad but not great. Missing opportunity to be great.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Gannett Healthcare Group full-time

Pros

Good working environment; caring employees; caring managers

Cons

Lack of diversity in senior management; no continuity in acceptable behavior

Know who and who not to trust

What a wonderful company to work for

I have been working at Gannett Healthcare Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people. Dedicated staff. Very knowledgeable professionals. Lots of diversity and cause marketing. Great work life balance. Management team is very driven and focused on growth. I enjoy working with nurses to provide even better healthcare.

Cons

I presently don't see any downside. I'm very happy to work here.

Keep up the good job. Looking forward to a great 2013 and beyond.