Gannett

Gannett Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Gannett President & CEO Gracia Martore

Gracia Martore

Pros
  • Good benefits, pay good for area, schedule somewhat flexible to balance family and work (in 14 reviews)

• There are many good people within the company but a few spoil it for everyone (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Having a healthy work/life balance is something that's frowned upon (in 7 reviews)

• Too much senior management that has been unable to produce expected results (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

IT Analyst (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsLeadership, opportunities for growth, interesting work, working conditions, flexible hours

ConsFunding for projects can be challenging

Good place to gain newspaper design experience

Page Designer/Copy Editor (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsGannett has centralized its page design work to five locations throughout the US and each of these hubs is responsible for the design of newspapers in their regions. The work is diverse and covers a good range of small weekly and major metro daily newspapers. The atmosphere is fun, collaborative and creative.

ConsIt's print journalism in the US and everyone is expected to do more with less. The work can also be high stress at times.

Pretty good

Intern (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsFriendly coworkers make your day a lot easier. People are always willing to teach interns how things work and there is a camaraderie among pretty much everyone on the newsroom floor. Also, relationships made there tend to last long (so lots of career help).

ConsThere's a really clear distinction between the upper management and the newsroom. Sometimes it even borders on feeling like a weird caste system. This can cause some resentment and drama if you pay attention to it. Also, interns are unpaid and can't do anything hands-on, basically just leaving them with all the grunt work that no one else wants to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the interns

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company to work for

Advertising Sales Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsIt is a great company to work for management cares about employees. The pay is satisfactory
    but could be better. Able to work alone without micro -management. I enjoyed my time there
    and learned a great deal. The other employees were great to work with.

ConsThere is not much room for advancement. The pay could be better with more frequent
    raises. The healthcare benefits need improvement. Overall the company is good to
    work for and it was a good place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to give employees positive feedback when it is deserved. Try to promote
    more from within the company.

Diversified company

Account Executive (Former Employee) Portland, ME

Proslots of growth opportunity with many different branches to move around in.

Consserious communication problem between corporate and local management.

Great company to work for.

Account Executive (Current Employee) College Station, TX

ProsVery up to date with future trends in the workplace.

ConsDifficult to report bad leadership

Management Level will take time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPositions are available, but may require extra effort for awhile to move around

Consclimbing the ladder will require some age

Beneficial Company to Work for in Media

ProsWell mannered atmosphere for those in media. Family oriented and caring. Some room for advance me in various media aspects.

ConsLower pay than others . Some personalities seem above others.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider pay on experience and take time to know those around you.

Gannett review

Reporter (Former Employee) White Plains, NY

ProsThe company has a number of very talented individuals working there. It can do some things very well. It holds professional standards, for the most part. There is an emphasis on creating a family-friendly workplace.

ConsShort-sighted and near-term thinking are predominant. There's a top-down sensibility that does not encourage flexibility. Group-think is another aspect of the corporate culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook beyond the next quarter. Allow more flexibility, less structured behavior.

Corporate Newspaper

Staff Writer (Former Employee) Bethany Beach, DE

ProsI got lots of stories published. And health insurance. As an entry-level reporter, the salary sounded good, considering newspapers are notorious for their low pay. Pay wound up being about $12.50 an hour after everything. Insurance is okay.

ConsOverworked in a transitioning industry. My editor was young, cheap and micromanaged. I had to attend meetings with my colleagues to "learn how to write" news stories. That's what I went to college for. They sunk my contributions for a 401K into their crappy company stock, meaning I only had about half of what I contributed returned to me when I cashed out of that joint.
    Pick up some clips at Gannett, then ditch that hellhole.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of going for the youngest, cheapest editors available, why not trust your newspapers to sage journalists?

Worked for Gannett? Contribute to the Community!