Gannett

Updated November 13, 2014
2.6

Gannett President & CEO Gracia Martore
Gracia Martore

Pros
  • Work-life balance is pretty good for everyone outside of the sports department (in 8 reviews)

• Good benefits, pay good for area, schedule somewhat flexible to balance family and work (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Having a healthy work/life balance is something that's frowned upon (in 8 reviews)

• Too much senior management that has been unable to produce expected results (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

I left and want back in! Grass isn't always greener

Former Employee - Senior Reporter in Asbury Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Reporter in Asbury Park, NJ

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Advancement. Strong company leadership. Training pretty good. Good pay and very good interactions with co-workers. Lots of opportunity for advancement. A company with a large diverse set of media assets which gives opportunity into different challenges.

Cons

There is a great deal of work to be done and not always a large number of people to do it. Still, there are rewards of the job, the company doing well, and great co-workers who make the place sing.

Continue to listen to employees and their needs. Not one policy fits all, so it's important to be flexible and understand what turns on employees.

Hard work pays off.

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay can be really good if your hitting goal. The company is growing and is dedicated to the future of the company.

Cons

Limited holidays day..ie Christmas Eve, Day after Thanksgiving, etc. They don't have a great program for developing their employees who are interested in advancing.

Keep investing in digital products and be fair when setting goals.

Alright for a huge media company

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great manager and team, good career opportunities if you're willing to relocate, several opportunities to input into the company's initiatives

Cons

Below industry pay, very top-down "corporate" feel, old-school work environment, non-existent culture and bad communication across divisions

Take care of your people and they'll take care of you. Invest in creating a positive work environment, pay people what they're worth and give them the tools they need to do their jobs.

worked for them for 22 years it was job

Former Employee - Press Operator in Maple Grove, MN
    Former Employee - Press Operator in Maple Grove, MN

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

time off was OK. some of benefits OK

Cons

working lots of o.t at maple grove minn plant . health insurance not very good management treat employees like your just a number

Just Experience

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Getting a recruiting background helped me get a position at a great company.

Cons

Work hard and you are rewarded with more work. Micro-management at its worst. Executives attempted to change commission to be based on year over year results knowing that the year over year numbers have not been hit in half a decade. Salary is crumbs!! Salary does not reflect what they expect from sales professionals.

STOP MICROMANAGING. STOP EXPECTING MILLION DOLLAR SALESPEOPLE WHEN YOU PAY THEM PENNIES.!

Good early on, sucked the past few years

Former Employee - Director in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Director in Detroit, MI

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There really are no good things about working under the Gannett umbrella any longer. The best thing I did was to leave the company which reduced my stress level one-hundred fold. Money isn't everything and I don't miss this place at all.

Cons

Frozen salaries for all but those at the highest levels of the company - since 2008! Annual benefit cost increases and doing more with fewer staff. Every year they figure out a new way to suck more money out of your paycheck so you are never getting ahead financially.

You'll be just another gear in the machine.

Former Employee - Print Artist in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Print Artist in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Full-Time 40 hrs no more no less, mid level pay with benefits for college students

Cons

Not allowed to communicate with other co-workers, must skype or email, even if they are sitting next to you at the table. Mangement does not care about quality of work you do only the amount of it you do. You are rated to to 3 advertisements an hour, if you don't meet that average you are given a warning, if it happens again within a 3 month period you are suspended/fired. No matter what the circumstances were. Some projects take 2 days to finish, if you were unlucky to get one you had to find a way to make up the lost time, the higher ups didn't care.

Restructure your philosophy on how you define success at each position and Managers need to be trained to have Managerial Skills not just be the fastest ad producer with the lowest error count. Just because they can create an ad fast does NOT BY ANY MEANS make them able to Manage an entire work floor of employees.

Started out great, turned into opposite

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Loved working with the corporation until the layoffs started. Like my workplace. Liked my fellow co-workers. Excellent salary for my expertise.

Cons

Management turned into a nightmare. Spiteful, good'old girl network. Sad way to treat quality people.

Treating people with dignity and respect shows character. I loved working for your company until the integrity declined.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Campaign Manager
    Former Employee - Campaign Manager

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company provides a great atmosphere and quality of work/life balance. I enjoyed working with people within my group and even those outside. The company is good at providing yearly raise. Great benefits and flexible schedules.

Cons

The pay could be better with such a large corporation and the hard work put in. Growth seems to be lacking. Some people within in the group put in more quality work than others which can be a struggle sometimes.

I had a great manager during my time of employment.

Getting Better

Current Employee - Graphic Artist
    Current Employee - Graphic Artist

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a good working environment, there's some great benefits if you know where to look, and the pay while not stellar is about what you'd expect for entry level stuff (at least in my neck of the company). The company is CONSTANTLY buying out other media properties, so that is a good sign. They're also trying to get their many newpaper properties up to date (which if you've worked in newspaper, you know the one thing it hates is change) so kudos for that.

Cons

We work very hard in my department. And we haven't received raises in two years. Other than that, the ladder may be a bit of a slow climb, career-wise, depending on where you are.

Make sure you're keeping your ground floor employees in mind. Please continue to keep up with the times.