Gannett

Updated December 14, 2014
2.5

Gannett President & CEO Gracia Martore
Gracia Martore

Pros
  • There are many good people within the company but a few spoil it for everyone (in 15 reviews)

• Work-life balance is pretty good for everyone outside of the sports department (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Having a healthy work/life balance is something that's frowned upon (in 8 reviews)

• Too much senior management that has been unable to produce expected results (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

I worked for Gannett for about three years in their Information Technology department. I found it a great place to learn

Current Employee - Information Technology in Palm Springs, CA
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Palm Springs, CA

I have been working at Gannett

Pros

Everyone was very pleasant to me and I was able to get the mentoring support I needed to do my job even better.

Cons

There were times when it was impersonal, but I expected some level of that being in a typical large organization's technology department.

Keep up what you are doing, but remember that these are people that you are employing and they have needs outside of just money. Overall great place .

Not the worst media company to work for, but not the best either

I have been working at Gannett

Pros

Gannett owns several high profile, quality stations that crank out admirable work. The company is pushing to stay ahead of the curve in the race to figure out where news is going.

Cons

News has inherently expensive operating costs, and when newspapers and tv stations are your primary source of revenue, you have to make them profitable. Unfortunately, that hurts the product & leaves employees frustrated. Not enough people to do the work that needs to be done. Also, healthcare coverage for anyone other than the employee (i.e. covering your family) is incredibly expensive.

sales

I have been working at Gannett

Pros

good culture, good benefits and chance of advancement. Great pay sturcture

Cons

long hours, work-life balance. should listen to people in the field more

Good Company, but Needs to Share Ideas About the Future of the Industry.

Former Employee - Operation Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Operation Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good People, no more "boys club" atmosphere, ability to move up. Great benefits, good management, zero tolerance for harassment, great HR.

Cons

Is paper media dying? I think a lot of the worry in a job is how the future is going to shape it. When I worked there I constantly felt like there was an ambiance of "the sky is falling" over the lack of paper sales, and management could share ideas earlier to keep employees focused on work and less worried for job security.

Share the sentiment that newspapers still have a lot of life to give if that's what you feel. Tell it to the people you manage.

Can be fun but you have to watch your back.

I have been working at Gannett as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It can be a fun job at times, some people are very nice to you. You get a lot of news experience and see how everything is put together. You get to see your footage/story on live television.

Cons

Low pay. Work and life balance can be a pain, you're working a lot of overtime. People talk behind peoples backs a lot and can make others feel uncomfortable at times. Schedules can be messed up so you never know what is going, they switch you to cover something different then you were suppose to by telling the day before or on that day. Sometimes they get the locations wrong too. Management doesn't really pay attention and assumes things are fine but they really aren't. Sometimes you have to learn things on your own and sometimes you get criticize for not knowing something you were never trained on.

Manage schedules properly so employees don't get blamed for going over hours; making sure schedules are done correctly. Actually taking time to talk to your employees and seeing how they are doing instead of assuming everything is okay.

Invisible Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at Gannett as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The best thing about working at USA TODAY was the amount of exposure your articles got. Some of mine got 1 million unique page views while I was an intern there. The people were generally pleasant and, if you found the right people, there were some who were willing to be a mentor.

Cons

Getting a glimpse into the world of USA TODAY content, I realized that there was a very small staff dedicated to real, hard news and dozens of others dedicated to stupid entertainment pieces. While I was there, there was a rumor going around that someone would get fired if there wasn't a story about Miley Cyrus every day. And that was a true reflection of Gannett. They don't care about quality, they care about clicks. This was very apparent at USA TODAY.

The other thing is that USA TODAY doesn't offer much in the way of opportunities. Most of the young people working there were contractors making measly money and being forced to report as self-employed on their taxes, which is a serious doozy. And, USA TODAY is outside of the city, which is bad for a young reporter looking to network and become involved in the DC scene.

There's little management can do to change USA TODAY's direction. Gannett is at the helm.

Toeing the bottom line

I worked at Gannett

Pros

Pay is good, colleagues are congenial, work is meaningful, number of time-off hours is fine. New high-profile location is in heart of downtown.

Cons

Temperature of new office is so cold, people are working while wearing winter coats, but employees are not allowed to have space heaters at their desks. Employees may work very early or very late shifts, but are not allowed to eat at their desks. No loyalty at this company; a very corporate and ruthless mindset. Work may include weekends, early morning or late-night hours.

Treat people the way you would want to be treated, like human beings instead of figures on a corporate spreadsheet. If you would be embarrassed to have a policy made public, think twice about implementing it.

Run the Other Way

Current Employee - TV Station in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - TV Station in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of unity among the staff.

Cons

They do not pay well
    High Turnover
    They do not hire from within
    They bring in people from outside that end up leaving due to poor conditions
    Favoritism
    Station ratings are at an all time low
    No longer a market leader

Look from within to promote. Take care of your good people. Revisit your benefits packages.

I left and want back in! Grass isn't always greener

Former Employee - Senior Reporter in Asbury Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Reporter in Asbury Park, NJ

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Advancement. Strong company leadership. Training pretty good. Good pay and very good interactions with co-workers. Lots of opportunity for advancement. A company with a large diverse set of media assets which gives opportunity into different challenges.

Cons

There is a great deal of work to be done and not always a large number of people to do it. Still, there are rewards of the job, the company doing well, and great co-workers who make the place sing.

Continue to listen to employees and their needs. Not one policy fits all, so it's important to be flexible and understand what turns on employees.

Hard work pays off.

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay can be really good if your hitting goal. The company is growing and is dedicated to the future of the company.

Cons

Limited holidays day..ie Christmas Eve, Day after Thanksgiving, etc. They don't have a great program for developing their employees who are interested in advancing.

Keep investing in digital products and be fair when setting goals.