Gannett Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

2.6

Gannett President & CEO Gracia Martore
Gracia Martore

Pros
  • Good benefits, pay good for area, schedule somewhat flexible to balance family and work (in 14 reviews)

• There are many good people within the company but a few spoil it for everyone (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Having a healthy work/life balance is something that's frowned upon (in 7 reviews)

• Too much senior management that has been unable to produce expected results (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

The division of the company that employed me was failing, yet they continued to hire people without conveying that.

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Clarkston, MI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Clarkston, MI

I worked at Gannett full-time for more than a year

Pros

Gannett offers a good benefit plan including the opportunity to purchase health and dental insurance, paid vacation time and holidays. My position was in advertising sales. Their commission plan was well defined. They offered company paid outside training and ongoing education that was very beneficial. I still use many of the skills that I learned.

Cons

This was the most stressful job that I ever had. I was with the company for 18 months, and practically ran out of the door when I found a new position. Although I was performing well, the division of the company that employed me was failing, and no one told the employees. We felt the pressure to perform, but the management was under so much stress, that an employee's performance simply could not meet the objectives necessary to save the division.

Management needed to communicate better with staff. More, more, more, is not communication. Instead of celebrating a 12 % increase, disappointment that it was not 13% was all that was communicated. On one sales goal, I was able to increase the sales 46% over the previous year. Yes, I got a nice commission check, but one person in management should have given an indication of noticing.

Good company to work for, tough times

Former Employee - Consultant  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA

I worked at Gannett full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of great people. Lots of talent, commitment. Everybody there understands the dilemma that the industry is in these days, so only those who are serious about journalism are still there.

Cons

Declining newspaper sales has made it tough to journalism a career. Much change on the digital side, lots of opportunities there. There is a new seriousness about being a journalist these days...

Make sure that salaries (especially your own) are equitable and fair. Respect the talent that you have available, and re-shape your business quickly and adeptly to meet the changing demand for information.

Large company with lots of potential if you are on the right team

Former Employee - Marketing  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Marketing in McLean, VA

I worked at Gannett full-time for more than a year

Pros

Industry klout, work from home, major brand, changing culture

Cons

Dying Publishing industry, slow to innovate, unrealistic goals, under market compensation

Need to communicate strategic objectives to workforce and plan before launching campaigns. Goals need to be clear and somewhat attainable.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good early on, sucked the last few years

Current Employee - Director  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Director in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There really are no good things about working under the Gannett umbrella any longer. The best thing I did was to leave the company which reduced my stress level one-hundred fold. Money isn't everything and I don't miss this place at all.

Cons

Frozen salaries, benefit cost increases, doing more with fewer staff. Yup, there is no getting ahead financially here!

Significant progress in transformation efforts

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Room for growth, inspiring company purpose, strong executive leadership, beautiful office space and smart people

Cons

Benefits are not strong and the headquarters is located in terrible Tysons Corner, VA. Tons of traffic and not near a Silver Line metro stop.

Keep up the good work! I'm incredibly impressed with the companies turnaround and the executive teams transparency. I would encourage management to reconsider benefits packages to make the jobs more enticing. An improved benefits package would be a great way to reward employees for helping make the transformation possible.

Great place to work

Current Employee - IT Analyst  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in McLean, VA

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Leadership, opportunities for growth, interesting work, working conditions, flexible hours

Cons

Funding for projects can be challenging

Good place to gain newspaper design experience

Current Employee - Page Designer/Copy Editor  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Page Designer/Copy Editor in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Gannett full-time

Pros

Gannett has centralized its page design work to five locations throughout the US and each of these hubs is responsible for the design of newspapers in their regions. The work is diverse and covers a good range of small weekly and major metro daily newspapers. The atmosphere is fun, collaborative and creative.

Cons

It's print journalism in the US and everyone is expected to do more with less. The work can also be high stress at times.

Pretty good

Former Employee - Intern  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Gannett as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Friendly coworkers make your day a lot easier. People are always willing to teach interns how things work and there is a camaraderie among pretty much everyone on the newsroom floor. Also, relationships made there tend to last long (so lots of career help).

Cons

There's a really clear distinction between the upper management and the newsroom. Sometimes it even borders on feeling like a weird caste system. This can cause some resentment and drama if you pay attention to it. Also, interns are unpaid and can't do anything hands-on, basically just leaving them with all the grunt work that no one else wants to do.

Pay the interns

Will squeeze profits from employees anyway they can...benefits, commissions, salary, mileage, expenses.

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great experience. You will leave with training and experience that will be invaluable. This on your resume will look very good.

Cons

Micro management in its purest form. You will spend 1/2 your time on salesforce.com and the rest on redundant training. I would NEVER work for another company that thinks salesforce is a good idea. Every year for the last 5 years I have made less money than the year before, and sold more...they manipulate commissions so your can't make money. They used Obama care as an excuse to cut our medical insurance to the bare bones and then briefly mentioned how they are self-insured. No co-pays...higher rates, ridiculous deductibles. The layers of management are impossible to navigate. The small group I worked in has 7 salespeople with turnover in the past year alone of 15 people. 5 managers in 3 years not even included. Classic case of over promise and under deliver. They are particularly harsh on long term and older employees. Inflexible culture that does not foster innovation or creativity. The only employees who have had a raise since 2009 are managers. The company then thinks it's a moral boost to send a corporate wide email about how debt free and profitable the company is...at the expense of the employees. The fact that no one at the corporate level even gets that speaks volumes. This could be the study case on corporate culture in the new age. Squeeze customers for more and give them less. Take the product and offer less and charge more.

Simple...hire good people, pay them well and trust them to do their jobs. Your CRM and management style is so restrictive that I don't think you get more than 30% efficiency from your salesforce. Combined with those inefficiencies, the fact that you have such a huge turnover means that inexperience and training eats the value of those new employees. Most won't stay. Someone at the top decided the more micro managing the better...totally counterproductive. It is all a time suck for both mangers and salespeople. I had a new manager from another group who spent the last 6 weeks on nothing other than trying to make salesforce comply...and I mean nothing. The person you should hire is your salesforce.com rep. Now they did a sales job!

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Advertising Sales Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Advertising Sales Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Gannett full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a great company to work for management cares about employees. The pay is satisfactory
    but could be better. Able to work alone without micro -management. I enjoyed my time there
    and learned a great deal. The other employees were great to work with.

Cons

There is not much room for advancement. The pay could be better with more frequent
    raises. The healthcare benefits need improvement. Overall the company is good to
    work for and it was a good place to work.

Make sure to give employees positive feedback when it is deserved. Try to promote
    more from within the company.

Worked for Gannett? Contribute to the Community!