Gannett Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
2.5

Gannett President & CEO Gracia Martore
Gracia Martore

Pros
  • Good benefits, pay good for area, schedule somewhat flexible to balance family and work (in 14 reviews)

• There are many good people within the company but a few spoil it for everyone (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Having a healthy work/life balance is something that's frowned upon (in 8 reviews)

• Too much senior management that has been unable to produce expected results (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Former Employee - Campaign Manager
    Former Employee - Campaign Manager

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company provides a great atmosphere and quality of work/life balance. I enjoyed working with people within my group and even those outside. The company is good at providing yearly raise. Great benefits and flexible schedules.

Cons

The pay could be better with such a large corporation and the hard work put in. Growth seems to be lacking. Some people within in the group put in more quality work than others which can be a struggle sometimes.

I had a great manager during my time of employment.

Brand new to Gannett

Current Employee - Executive Producer
    Current Employee - Executive Producer

I have been working at Gannett full-time

Pros

They encourage big projects on the news side. They are very dedicated to the success of their stations.

Cons

Still trying to figure out what the split of the TV, digital and print will mean for the company long term.

Getting Better

Current Employee - Graphic Artist
    Current Employee - Graphic Artist

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a good working environment, there's some great benefits if you know where to look, and the pay while not stellar is about what you'd expect for entry level stuff (at least in my neck of the company). The company is CONSTANTLY buying out other media properties, so that is a good sign. They're also trying to get their many newpaper properties up to date (which if you've worked in newspaper, you know the one thing it hates is change) so kudos for that.

Cons

We work very hard in my department. And we haven't received raises in two years. Other than that, the ladder may be a bit of a slow climb, career-wise, depending on where you are.

Make sure you're keeping your ground floor employees in mind. Please continue to keep up with the times.

Good Entry Level

I worked at Gannett

Pros

This job is good for right out of college. It seems harder for more seasoned artists to conform to the system and procedures of the GIADC. Fun, casual environment. Fast paced.

Cons

Hard to work your way up. Getting promoted gets you stuck on a worse shift. New hire shift is usually 4pm-12:30. The pay is very entry level.

so-so

Current Employee - Designer in North Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Designer in North Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

type of work, flexibility, co-workers, a

Cons

cut backs, communication, extreme stress, heavy work load

25 years here, and it's gotten worse every year.

Current Employee - Senior Reporter in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Reporter in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is decent. Work-life balance is pretty good for everyone outside of the sports department.

Cons

Too many editors, not enough foot soldiers. Editors only care about their bottom line; benefits, bonuses, etc. And they'll do anything to protect them, which means crapping on the foot soldiers.

Less meeting, more interaction with your employees. Cut the B.S., we're not stupid.

Once a great company

Former Employee - Sales in Saint Cloud, MN
    Former Employee - Sales in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great coworkers around the United States.

Cons

At one time we received yearly raises but that all came to an end. They actually imposed unpaid furloughs, closed and consolidated multiple plants, large layoffs all the while paying out multi-imillion dollar stock options to the executive level. Over time abuses.

Pay the workers not the executives

Not for the OCD clean types

Current Employee - Electrical Technician in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Electrical Technician in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gannett full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Competative pay, decent benifits, not too demanding

Cons

Plant is a disaster area. Spend more time looking for parts and tools to do job than time acually working on equipment.
    Only 37.5 hrs scheduled per week and no overtime until after 40 hrs.

Organization of resources is the key to minimum down times.

Little value for quality news or skilled professionals

Current Employee - News in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - News in Portland, OR

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you're young and need some quick experience Gannett might be an okay place to start. They have stations all over the country- so opportunities to move up quickly are possible.

Cons

Upper Management. Poor benefits. Lack of training. The health care package has only 1 plan, huge deductible (catastrophic health care only) huge employee contribution. Spouses and children rates are almost triple that of the employee with an additional penalty for spouses. They are currently trying to break organized labor in St. Louis, Cleveland, Seattle and Portland. Big proponents of MMJ's. Their corporate culture does not embrace the diversity of the communities they serve. The Gannett branding is a template for every market using the same graphics, music news philosophy in their business model.

Offer better benefits to your employees. You are not building loyalty to the company, or the brand, if employees continue to leave because they need better medical and dental. There should be better regional over sight of properties. Find ways to reflect the community you are serving by encouraging local participation without the expectation of direct compensation.

Never. Not ever would I work there again

I have been working at Gannett

Pros

Nice building. Real nice cafeteria.

Cons

Where can I begin? The people. The atmosphere. The holier than thou attitude. Supervisors who hired friends and promoted them over experienced individuals who were expected to train the incompetent. It was a hell hole and I'm glad I climbed out before they started laying people off every six months. They care more about the bottom line than anything else. I' wouldn't even give it a star but this system won't let me.

Treat your people better and stop the nepotism.