Gannett Reviews

Updated October 31, 2014
2.5

Gannett President & CEO Gracia Martore
Gracia Martore

Pros
  • Work-life balance is pretty good for everyone outside of the sports department (in 8 reviews)

• Good benefits, pay good for area, schedule somewhat flexible to balance family and work (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Having a healthy work/life balance is something that's frowned upon (in 8 reviews)

• Too much senior management that has been unable to produce expected results (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

worked for them for 22 years it was job

Former Employee - Press Operator in Maple Grove, MN
    Former Employee - Press Operator in Maple Grove, MN

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

time off was OK. some of benefits OK

Cons

working lots of o.t at maple grove minn plant . health insurance not very good management treat employees like your just a number

Alright for a huge media company

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great manager and team, good career opportunities if you're willing to relocate, several opportunities to input into the company's initiatives

Cons

Below industry pay, very top-down "corporate" feel, old-school work environment, non-existent culture and bad communication across divisions

Take care of your people and they'll take care of you. Invest in creating a positive work environment, pay people what they're worth and give them the tools they need to do their jobs.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Campaign Manager
    Former Employee - Campaign Manager

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company provides a great atmosphere and quality of work/life balance. I enjoyed working with people within my group and even those outside. The company is good at providing yearly raise. Great benefits and flexible schedules.

Cons

The pay could be better with such a large corporation and the hard work put in. Growth seems to be lacking. Some people within in the group put in more quality work than others which can be a struggle sometimes.

I had a great manager during my time of employment.

Brand new to Gannett

Current Employee - Executive Producer
    Current Employee - Executive Producer

I have been working at Gannett full-time

Pros

They encourage big projects on the news side. They are very dedicated to the success of their stations.

Cons

Still trying to figure out what the split of the TV, digital and print will mean for the company long term.

You'll be just another gear in the machine.

Former Employee - Print Artist in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Print Artist in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Full-Time 40 hrs no more no less, mid level pay with benefits for college students

Cons

Not allowed to communicate with other co-workers, must skype or email, even if they are sitting next to you at the table. Mangement does not care about quality of work you do only the amount of it you do. You are rated to to 3 advertisements an hour, if you don't meet that average you are given a warning, if it happens again within a 3 month period you are suspended/fired. No matter what the circumstances were. Some projects take 2 days to finish, if you were unlucky to get one you had to find a way to make up the lost time, the higher ups didn't care.

Restructure your philosophy on how you define success at each position and Managers need to be trained to have Managerial Skills not just be the fastest ad producer with the lowest error count. Just because they can create an ad fast does NOT BY ANY MEANS make them able to Manage an entire work floor of employees.

so-so

Current Employee - Designer in North Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Designer in North Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

type of work, flexibility, co-workers, a

Cons

cut backs, communication, extreme stress, heavy work load

25 years here, and it's gotten worse every year.

Current Employee - Senior Reporter in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Reporter in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is decent. Work-life balance is pretty good for everyone outside of the sports department.

Cons

Too many editors, not enough foot soldiers. Editors only care about their bottom line; benefits, bonuses, etc. And they'll do anything to protect them, which means crapping on the foot soldiers.

Less meeting, more interaction with your employees. Cut the B.S., we're not stupid.

Once a great company

Former Employee - Sales in Saint Cloud, MN
    Former Employee - Sales in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great coworkers around the United States.

Cons

At one time we received yearly raises but that all came to an end. They actually imposed unpaid furloughs, closed and consolidated multiple plants, large layoffs all the while paying out multi-imillion dollar stock options to the executive level. Over time abuses.

Pay the workers not the executives

Getting Better

Current Employee - Graphic Artist
    Current Employee - Graphic Artist

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a good working environment, there's some great benefits if you know where to look, and the pay while not stellar is about what you'd expect for entry level stuff (at least in my neck of the company). The company is CONSTANTLY buying out other media properties, so that is a good sign. They're also trying to get their many newpaper properties up to date (which if you've worked in newspaper, you know the one thing it hates is change) so kudos for that.

Cons

We work very hard in my department. And we haven't received raises in two years. Other than that, the ladder may be a bit of a slow climb, career-wise, depending on where you are.

Make sure you're keeping your ground floor employees in mind. Please continue to keep up with the times.

Good Entry Level

I worked at Gannett

Pros

This job is good for right out of college. It seems harder for more seasoned artists to conform to the system and procedures of the GIADC. Fun, casual environment. Fast paced.

Cons

Hard to work your way up. Getting promoted gets you stuck on a worse shift. New hire shift is usually 4pm-12:30. The pay is very entry level.