Gannett Reviews

Updated September 8, 2014
2.5

Gannett President & CEO Gracia Martore
Gracia Martore

Pros
  • Good benefits, pay good for area, schedule somewhat flexible to balance family and work (in 14 reviews)

• There are many good people within the company but a few spoil it for everyone (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Having a healthy work/life balance is something that's frowned upon (in 7 reviews)

• Too much senior management that has been unable to produce expected results (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Not for the OCD clean types

Current Employee - Electrical Technician  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Electrical Technician in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gannett full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competative pay, decent benifits, not too demanding

Cons

Plant is a disaster area. Spend more time looking for parts and tools to do job than time acually working on equipment.
    Only 37.5 hrs scheduled per week and no overtime until after 40 hrs.

Organization of resources is the key to minimum down times.

Great internship opportunity that helped me learn a lot, as well as gain credible work experience.

Former Employee - New Media Journalist  in  Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - New Media Journalist in Rochester, NY

I worked at Gannett as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Credible work place. Work experience. Adding material to my port.

Cons

Based downtown/no parking. Small stipend.

Frustrated

Current Employee - Advertising Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Advertising Sales Manager

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The team I work with is great. Everyone pulls together despite the frustrations.

Cons

Executive level managers are not in tune with what it is like on the front lines. Processes and systems make it very difficult for the sales staff to actually go sell. No one seems to care and they have cure resources so badly. There is plan in place for development and those that have greater aspirations end up feeling like they are on a hamster wheel. Many intelligent hard working employees are looking elsewhere. It is unfortunate.

Make decisions that are in the best interest of the clients and employees and you will be rewarded. Develop your staff! Delegate and LET GO! Remove the bad seeds and don't be blind to the issues.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very corporate experience and a lot of politics

I worked at Gannett full-time

Pros

Beautiful building and the GLT is a great group of people who have many experiences.

Cons

Tysons is not a great area.

They're focused on bottom-line and don't fully value their human collateral.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of technological resources and some decent training. The company is innovative with their proprietary tech products and they are smart with digital ventures.

Cons

The company owns many local community newspapers and TV stations as well as USAToday. The board and leadership at corporate seem to forget that these sites are in much smaller markets than DC where USAT is headquartered. They try to make their smaller brands function like USAT and demand huge results without giving the local sites enough support in HR or enough payroll to pay a decent wage. They expect national digital brands to resonate in all local markets. Seems like they're always looking for someone to fire. Soon there won't be enough bodies left to implement their large scale visions. I honestly wonder a lot why I still have a job. I don't create revenue - not in my job function. I just try to save money whenever I can.

Think about why people are leaving the company in droves. Listen to your employees. Stop paying huge bonuses to department directors who don't meet revenue goals.

Mid Level Managment is the problem.

Current Employee - Producer  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Producer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strong company name recognition. Try's to be cutting edge. No non compete. People are dropping like flies great opportunity for new people coming in.

Cons

Mid level mgmt can not be trusted. They threaten there employees to get results but don't follow through unless it's the ones the don't like not producing. Nepotism and favoritism at its finest. Not everyone is held to the same standard.

People aren't dumb they see through the lies.

The division of the company that employed me was failing, yet they continued to hire people without conveying that.

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Clarkston, MI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Clarkston, MI

I worked at Gannett full-time for more than a year

Pros

Gannett offers a good benefit plan including the opportunity to purchase health and dental insurance, paid vacation time and holidays. My position was in advertising sales. Their commission plan was well defined. They offered company paid outside training and ongoing education that was very beneficial. I still use many of the skills that I learned.

Cons

This was the most stressful job that I ever had. I was with the company for 18 months, and practically ran out of the door when I found a new position. Although I was performing well, the division of the company that employed me was failing, and no one told the employees. We felt the pressure to perform, but the management was under so much stress, that an employee's performance simply could not meet the objectives necessary to save the division.

Management needed to communicate better with staff. More, more, more, is not communication. Instead of celebrating a 12 % increase, disappointment that it was not 13% was all that was communicated. On one sales goal, I was able to increase the sales 46% over the previous year. Yes, I got a nice commission check, but one person in management should have given an indication of noticing.

Good company to work for, tough times

Former Employee - Consultant  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA

I worked at Gannett full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of great people. Lots of talent, commitment. Everybody there understands the dilemma that the industry is in these days, so only those who are serious about journalism are still there.

Cons

Declining newspaper sales has made it tough to journalism a career. Much change on the digital side, lots of opportunities there. There is a new seriousness about being a journalist these days...

Make sure that salaries (especially your own) are equitable and fair. Respect the talent that you have available, and re-shape your business quickly and adeptly to meet the changing demand for information.

Large company with lots of potential if you are on the right team

Former Employee - Marketing  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Marketing in McLean, VA

I worked at Gannett full-time for more than a year

Pros

Industry klout, work from home, major brand, changing culture

Cons

Dying Publishing industry, slow to innovate, unrealistic goals, under market compensation

Need to communicate strategic objectives to workforce and plan before launching campaigns. Goals need to be clear and somewhat attainable.

Significant progress in transformation efforts

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Room for growth, inspiring company purpose, strong executive leadership, beautiful office space and smart people

Cons

Benefits are not strong and the headquarters is located in terrible Tysons Corner, VA. Tons of traffic and not near a Silver Line metro stop.

Keep up the good work! I'm incredibly impressed with the companies turnaround and the executive teams transparency. I would encourage management to reconsider benefits packages to make the jobs more enticing. An improved benefits package would be a great way to reward employees for helping make the transformation possible.

Worked for Gannett? Contribute to the Community!