Gannett

Gannett Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Gannett President & CEO Gracia Martore

Gracia Martore

Pros
  • Good benefits, pay good for area, schedule somewhat flexible to balance family and work(in 14 reviews)

• There are many good people within the company but a few spoil it for everyone(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Having a healthy work/life balance is something that's frowned upon(in 7 reviews)

• Too much senior management that has been unable to produce expected results(in 12 reviews)

Unethical Management

Newsroom (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsDedicated worker bees despite knowing they were getting used and chewed up before being spit out for fresh meat

ConsFurloughs every 6 weeks while CEO gives top mgt million dollar bonuses for saving money on your furloughs

Advice to Senior ManagementGo to jail

Gannett could care less about its people.

ProsIt's a good place to learn creative programs and get experience. I wouldn't stay long after learning what you needed, though.

ConsZero raises, overworked for months now (50+ hours a week), newer employees are favored more than the older employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys need to reevaluate those who work for you, especially those who have been there for a good while. We're overworked and our personal lives are being negatively affected by this so-called 'business need'. Maybe if you reward the employees with the occasional raise so they can actually combat the rising cost of living. They make us play these childish 'board games' on the wall displaying our 'error' count in front of other employees. I'm sorry, but these incentives (such as getting a gift card for Target for example) are not a proper motivating factor. Our motivation is to do well so to avoid embarrassment.
    Nowadays people are quitting left and right. Is that your plan?
    Also, new programs are being rolled out and it's primarily the NEWER employees who are given the opportunity to learn them and hardly any of the older employees. Does that sound right?

Poor upper mgmt

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFormerly Gannett Local
    Nice/friendly people
    Some opps for advancement, but most are hired from outside

ConsPoor upper mgmt
    Disconnected mgmt
    Poor raises and few reviews
    No work/life balance
    Now has poor benefits
    Endless cubes (think call center)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet connected to your people
    Work on keeping your good talent
    Keep getting people who can actually help (do work) and not just manage
    Consider for a moment that someone else in the room might be just as smart as you

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Workers=numbers

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsPays well, easy commission dollars, and many positions all over the u.s.

ConsEverything you do is on a scoring level, from retention calls, handle time, and even attendance. And the upper management does not allow time for meetings so you won't know how well you are doing until things get bad or if you get a perfect score and they announce it. The management team is very low standard and the HR department does not accurately give you info on benefits, time off, etc. I was let go because I was given wrong information about my time off even though I kept asking about it in advance and was told by one HR rep I was ok until I came in to work and my desk was cleaned out.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more time for meetings, allow more leniency for attendance, and open another call center to help bring the call volume and hold time down.

Loyalty only goes one way at Gannett

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosfun coworkers, gorgeous art collection in VA HQ if you're based in that office.

Conslack of leadership, lack of corporate vision, years with salary freezes and furloughs, increasingly poor benefits, horrible time off policy. I was completely loyal to the company, accessible at all hours, entertaining often nights and weekends and generated huge amounts of revenue.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive multi-million dollar bonuses the same years you have frozen salaries or furloughed loyal employees is completely inappropriate. Salespeople who bring in $15,000,000+ annually should at least be earning 1% of the revenue they generate for your company. You have senior level management who would not do the smallest thing to cover for employees when they take a scarce Gannett vacation day.

Stay away from Gannett and its dying industry with horrible management and poor decision making

Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) Neptune, NJ

ProsWorked with some very good people who wanted to do a great job but were often hindered by management from doing so.

ConsStrategy is no longer locally controlled -- it is all driven by corporate mandates and constantly changing priorities. Everything is driven by the almighty dollar and not by doing what is right. Quality has suffered greatly in the products and services due to constant cost-cutting. Everyone is paranoid about losing their jobs. Constantly hear from dissatisfied readers, subscribers and businesses about how the company has gone downhill.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect and value your employees more. Get out and meet the local businesses and decision-makers. Get a grip on reality. Unfortunately you are torn between making the right decisions and doing what corporate tells you to do. The situation will only get worse so get out while you can still look at yourself in the mirror.

Newspaper are on the way put

ProsThere are no good reasons to work here.

ConsNo communication between management and the work force.

Advice to Senior ManagementLong hours.

Inside Sales Representative

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe parking is affordable parking.

ConsWhere shall I start! The business model is the best place to begin. Calling accounts that have not ran an ad since 2006 might give you a clue they are no longer in business or are not a sustainable lead. That is if they were actually a business and were hiring something outside of a nanny. I think I have called every doctors office or dentist within my assigned territory month after month in hopes of the possibility that someone quit or their office grew since my last call. These accounts have been called since the DESC began in 2008. At some point you would think you would catch a clue this business model is ineffective. I have made approximately 1000 calls this month and had 1 customer say they were hiring, ONE! Yet, I will not get my commission check if I don't make my call goal. Speaking of call goal, your call goal is your call goal no exceptions unless you are not here. Office meetings, training are not an exception. Building ads or actually SELLING something are not an exception. Oh and what really impresses me if you are on vacation your ARE NOT given quota relief! To anyone considering this place, RUN! Do not waste your time!

Advice to Senior ManagementYour sales focus fails to deliver sustainable growth because it favors short term revenue growth over developing relationships, creating a positive customer experience and developing customer loyalty. Additionally, the unemployment rate is declining- meaning there are companies hiring. Why continue to call the same companies each month that are not hiring? Quantity does not equal quality and activity does not equate to productivity or revenue growth!

Dying industry

Page Designer/Copy Editor (Current Employee) Elmira, NY

ProsDoing what you love and what you wne to school for.

ConsFinding out that the industry is dying.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace online media.

Great job, horrible,horrible management

Account Executive (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsWork from home, good product that works for your customers. You don't often have to interact with management, but if you do, don't expect a shred of help.

ConsThey truly are not looking for the best or the brightest. They want worker slaves. Management in name only. sales meetings are a pure joke. Beating your fingernails with a hammer is far more pleasurable. Actually had a manager tell the staff that he does not welcome new ideas. He only wants those that have been tried in other markets so that he won't get blamed if they fail. If you come to either manager with an issue they will respond by telling you their issues and how much bigger they are than yours. Listening is not an option for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some 100 level management classes. It will be a vast improvement.

Worked for Gannett? Contribute to the Community!