Gannett

Updated December 14, 2014
2.5

Gannett President & CEO Gracia Martore
Gracia Martore

Pros
  • There are many good people within the company but a few spoil it for everyone (in 15 reviews)

• Work-life balance is pretty good for everyone outside of the sports department (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Having a healthy work/life balance is something that's frowned upon (in 8 reviews)

• Too much senior management that has been unable to produce expected results (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

It was the worst run company I have ever bee at

Former Employee - Media Specialist in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Media Specialist in Louisville, KY

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Jason Brown and Barb Smith

Cons

The management team has turned a once thriving support center and turned it into garbage. The moral and workplace is not a good

Find a place where you can actually be a viable asset

Horrible

Current Employee - Anonymous in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Trying to be innovative while consolidating digital with print

Cons

Depressing newsroom when you have to worry when the next layoff will be - all while watching product quality plummet.

Quit downsizing and expecting people to do the job of the ones you've laid off.

Get out while you still can!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Gannett

Pros

Some of the managers actually care about their employees and will do everything they can to help in the advancement process.

Cons

The medical benefits are horrible. The only thing that corporate cares about is the bottom line(hence the horrible healthcare). The higher up management thinks that adding work without monetary compensation, other than bonus for making unattainable budgets is the best idea since sliced bread. The pay raise year to year is a laughable 1% if you are lucky. Advancement is incredibly difficult and they would rather hire someone from the outside than promote someone who deserves the promotion.

Be very careful about how much work you place on the desks of those who do not receive commission for their work because if you put too much on their desks without the proper compensation, more of the best employees that you have will leave.

Never. Not ever would I work there again

I have been working at Gannett

Pros

Nice building. Real nice cafeteria.

Cons

Where can I begin? The people. The atmosphere. The holier than thou attitude. Supervisors who hired friends and promoted them over experienced individuals who were expected to train the incompetent. It was a hell hole and I'm glad I climbed out before they started laying people off every six months. They care more about the bottom line than anything else. I' wouldn't even give it a star but this system won't let me.

Treat your people better and stop the nepotism.

Little value for quality news or skilled professionals

Current Employee - News in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - News in Portland, OR

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you're young and need some quick experience Gannett might be an okay place to start. They have stations all over the country- so opportunities to move up quickly are possible.

Cons

Upper Management. Poor benefits. Lack of training. The health care package has only 1 plan, huge deductible (catastrophic health care only) huge employee contribution. Spouses and children rates are almost triple that of the employee with an additional penalty for spouses. They are currently trying to break organized labor in St. Louis, Cleveland, Seattle and Portland. Big proponents of MMJ's. Their corporate culture does not embrace the diversity of the communities they serve. The Gannett branding is a template for every market using the same graphics, music news philosophy in their business model.

Offer better benefits to your employees. You are not building loyalty to the company, or the brand, if employees continue to leave because they need better medical and dental. There should be better regional over sight of properties. Find ways to reflect the community you are serving by encouraging local participation without the expectation of direct compensation.

Not good

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Weekly paycheck. Outdated technology. No leadership. Oh, wait, those are the best things?

Cons

Poor management, always scrambling on new initiatives with no follow through, threat based culture

Quit chasing the empty-promise fastest-buck quick-fix no-action business plan and truly focus on serving your communities

Avoid

Former Employee - Staff Writer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Staff Writer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The newspaper division's assets are in one-newspaper cities/towns.

Cons

Poor management, false diversity, shrinking industry. It's a very frustrating company to work for. The CEO takes home millions in earnings while staff doesn't get a raise. Management doesn't encourage their workers, only picks at flaws when they know staff is overworked and underpaid and has been for years now.

Management needs a complete overhaul with an entirely new value system.

Will squeeze profits from employees anyway they can...benefits, commissions, salary, mileage, expenses.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great experience. You will leave with training and experience that will be invaluable. This on your resume will look very good.

Cons

Micro management in its purest form. You will spend 1/2 your time on salesforce.com and the rest on redundant training. I would NEVER work for another company that thinks salesforce is a good idea. Every year for the last 5 years I have made less money than the year before, and sold more...they manipulate commissions so your can't make money. They used Obama care as an excuse to cut our medical insurance to the bare bones and then briefly mentioned how they are self-insured. No co-pays...higher rates, ridiculous deductibles. The layers of management are impossible to navigate. The small group I worked in has 7 salespeople with turnover in the past year alone of 15 people. 5 managers in 3 years not even included. Classic case of over promise and under deliver. They are particularly harsh on long term and older employees. Inflexible culture that does not foster innovation or creativity. The only employees who have had a raise since 2009 are managers. The company then thinks it's a moral boost to send a corporate wide email about how debt free and profitable the company is...at the expense of the employees. The fact that no one at the corporate level even gets that speaks volumes. This could be the study case on corporate culture in the new age. Squeeze customers for more and give them less. Take the product and offer less and charge more.

Simple...hire good people, pay them well and trust them to do their jobs. Your CRM and management style is so restrictive that I don't think you get more than 30% efficiency from your salesforce. Combined with those inefficiencies, the fact that you have such a huge turnover means that inexperience and training eats the value of those new employees. Most won't stay. Someone at the top decided the more micro managing the better...totally counterproductive. It is all a time suck for both mangers and salespeople. I had a new manager from another group who spent the last 6 weeks on nothing other than trying to make salesforce comply...and I mean nothing. The person you should hire is your salesforce.com rep. Now they did a sales job!

Run quickly

Current Employee - Account Executive in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Buttoned up in HR issues. Has a good direction. A lot of strength in their size.

Cons

Budgets are unreachable. They are cutting salaries across the board. Management only cares about themselves. Backstabbing is rewarded.

They only care about the all mighty dollar. As they get richer, the working grunts get poorer.

Nightmare

Former Employee - Account Executive in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Toledo, OH

I worked at Gannett full-time

Pros

Good vacation policy and sick time

Cons

Terrible training, unrealistic expectations, terrible middle management

Quit ruling the place with fear tactics!