Gannett Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

2.7

Gannett President & CEO Gracia Martore
Gracia Martore

Pros
  • Good benefits, pay good for area, schedule somewhat flexible to balance family and work (in 14 reviews)

• There are many good people within the company but a few spoil it for everyone (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Having a healthy work/life balance is something that's frowned upon (in 7 reviews)

• Too much senior management that has been unable to produce expected results (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Nightmare

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Toledo, OH

I worked at Gannett full-time

Pros

Good vacation policy and sick time

Cons

Terrible training, unrealistic expectations, terrible middle management

Quit ruling the place with fear tactics!

Only Work Here if You Need to Feed Your Family

Current Employee - Digital Media Designer
    Current Employee - Digital Media Designer

I have been working at Gannett full-time

Pros

You can have some success if you are willing to swallow some pride. However you are warned that if you show even the slightest amount of proficiency you'll be swallowed up into a specialty team where you can expect even shorter deadlines and more micromanagement.

If you can succeed here, you've shown your next employer that you can handle a production environment.

Cons

You are not designing at Gannett, you are cranking out (CUSSWORDS) flash ads. The kind that drove you to install ad-blocker on your computer so you'll never have to see them again. You have less than an hour to complete an ad from start to finish, sometimes with no more direction than the client's name and a poorly provided copy of their logo. It is not uncommon for an ad rep to provide you with such designer friendly assets as word docs, photographed/scanned logos (complete with pen/ink on the piece of paper they took a picture of, we're supposed to be a digital department.)

You get all of your creative direction from a sales rep, not a creative director. This comes in the form of a document that has either little to no actual instruction, or waaaaaay too much stupid animation requests. If your idea of selling mexican food is to have a cartoon taco walk onto the screen, stuff meat into itself, and then have a giant grab it before taking a bite out of it, then you might be a Gannett ad rep. If you have a good product and a succinct message, it will sell. Stupid animation just for the sake of getting attention won't help, it just CUSSWORDS off the end user. Expect plenty of soul sucking requests like that during your stay at Gannett.

You get next to no feedback on your work after your initial training. You'll get a ton of 'you messed this up' errors thrown at you when you first start, but you will NEVER hear anything positive from either the client or a sale's rep. We used to have a "kudos" program where you could get some recognition but that was taken away because CUSSWORDS you that's why. We were never given a good reason, now it's just "there's a replacement program coming soon guys." That was months ago.

SPEC WORK: Remember how your design professors taught you all about spec work and why it's a bad thing? Gannett doesn't give a flying CUSSWORDS about that. Be ready for a lot of it.

Again, as a designer you'll be building web ads in Adobe Flash. This tech is deader than dead. You are not furthering your career.

The hours are terrible. Expect to start off on a night shift, and then wait your turn until a day spot opens up. Not a problem if you're a night owl, otherwise unless you get extremely lucky expect to wait over a year, by then you'll be wanting to leave anyway. We've been working mandatory overtime (help is on the way guys) since March due to turnover. You typically won't know if you have to work OT until the very last minute, making planning ANYTHING difficult.

Pay is absurdly low. Turnover is extremely high. This will likely never change. Vacation/Sick time DOES NOT CARRYOVER from one year to the next. Couple that with the fact that most dates on the calendar are either limited time off or blacked out. Want a day off in November? Go CUSSWORDS yourself, it's black friday month.

Virtually every promotion after the initial designer position takes you out of you know, actually designing things. This is not a place for a career oriented designer, unless you want to be entry level for your entire career. This is a first stop on your path, nothing more.

Back up your artists. Give them the tools to succeed. Some actual continuing education would be a great start. The digital world is moving very fast, yet Gannett is not. Your designers are being left behind by being stuck working with outdated programs like flash.

Provide your designers with feedback on their work. Designers get better when going through a critique.

Stop taking the site's side all the time. When your first instinct is to issue an error when the site emails or calls a traffic person, you are doing it wrong. The entire approach of "error first, investigate later" does nothing but breed contempt.

Dishonest Practices + Poor Morale = Worst Job of My Career

Former Employee - Local Sales Manager  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Local Sales Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Gannett full-time for less than a year

Pros

The insurance is decent, and some of the employees possess great teamwork.

Cons

The job title and description (as well as the promised compensation) that I received during the interview process did not line up with the actual job. Instead of a marketing role, I learned quickly that I was in a sales role. The company does not have a training structure, which made the job nearly impossible to do effectively since I had no prior newspaper or sales experience.

To make matters worse, the environment was completely unstable with almost 100% turnover in a couple of years. I even witnessed two downsizes in other departments during my short time with the company. Management within my department would publicly berate an employee in front of other teammates, creating constant fear of job loss.

When new leadership took over, I was forced out, instead of receiving proper guidance and support. HR listened to my concerns, but they did not investigate my issues with the culture. Gannett preaches work/life balance, but my department did not incorporate that philosophy. We were expected to work long hours, including weekends, to get the job done.

Invest more in your employees in terms of on-the-job training and support from management. The managers within my department only cared about the bottom line, and that mantra along with inaccurate job descriptions are what led to extreme turnover.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unfulfilled promises...

Current Employee - Digital Media Designer  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Digital Media Designer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than a year

Pros

The is a great place to hone your design skills and work on getting some general resume fluff.

Cons

The digital design department (artist in particular) are severally mistreated and under payed. We are constantly told we are the money makers and future of the company but without any respect, recognition or compensation. We are a "growing department" and this means that we have been working 15-20hours of mandatory overtime for since February.

We have lost almost 15-20% of our employees to firing or quitting in the last 6 months. If u want to keep employees grant their time off request and don't work them to death. Also communication with mgmnt is practically nonexistent.

Long and frustrating years of exploitation.

Current Employee - Reporter  in  Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Reporter in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Being a reporter is generally fun and socially rewarding.

Cons

Gannett is run by greedy, uncreative, scumbags who would sell their mothers to keep stock prices up.

Stop laying people off and be happy with the profits. Even if they are declining, we know that newspapers average 16 percent profit margin - and Gannett certainly makes more than that.

Frustrating,

Former Employee - Reporter
    Former Employee - Reporter

I worked at Gannett full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people were OK to work with and there is mobility within the corporation since Gannett is so large. If you work for one of the metro publications, employees will do well. Not so much for smaller papers. Benefits were good.

Cons

I had heard that Gannett buys up profitable local papers and guts them to pour the profits into its other papers. This certainly seemed to be the case at the paper I worked at as a reporter. The family-owned paper was healthy and well-funded with local advertisers when the owner sold it to Gannett. Within two years it was whittled down to a very thin paper the community bitterly complains about. The newsroom became stressful after layoffs and hiring freezes. Gannett even moved the paper to a different location combinbing it with an existing advertiser tab, giving up its historical home in the center of town. There's a big push for diversity, meaning race and gender are considered for employment over experience and skill. While I worked there, reporters were forced to write for USA Today on occassion without the compensation that paper offers and on top of their regular work.

Treat your news staff better. Respect the news outlets you buy.

Unethical Management

Former Employee - Newsroom  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Newsroom in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Gannett full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Dedicated worker bees despite knowing they were getting used and chewed up before being spit out for fresh meat

Cons

Furloughs every 6 weeks while CEO gives top mgt million dollar bonuses for saving money on your furloughs

Go to jail

Gannett could care less about its people.

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a good place to learn creative programs and get experience. I wouldn't stay long after learning what you needed, though.

Cons

Zero raises, overworked for months now (50+ hours a week), newer employees are favored more than the older employees.

You guys need to reevaluate those who work for you, especially those who have been there for a good while. We're overworked and our personal lives are being negatively affected by this so-called 'business need'. Maybe if you reward the employees with the occasional raise so they can actually combat the rising cost of living. They make us play these childish 'board games' on the wall displaying our 'error' count in front of other employees. I'm sorry, but these incentives (such as getting a gift card for Target for example) are not a proper motivating factor. Our motivation is to do well so to avoid embarrassment.
    Nowadays people are quitting left and right. Is that your plan?
    Also, new programs are being rolled out and it's primarily the NEWER employees who are given the opportunity to learn them and hardly any of the older employees. Does that sound right?

Poor upper mgmt

I worked at Gannett full-time for more than a year

Pros

Formerly Gannett Local
    Nice/friendly people
    Some opps for advancement, but most are hired from outside

Cons

Poor upper mgmt
    Disconnected mgmt
    Poor raises and few reviews
    No work/life balance
    Now has poor benefits
    Endless cubes (think call center)

Get connected to your people
    Work on keeping your good talent
    Keep getting people who can actually help (do work) and not just manage
    Consider for a moment that someone else in the room might be just as smart as you

Workers=numbers

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Louisville, KY

I worked at Gannett full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pays well, easy commission dollars, and many positions all over the u.s.

Cons

Everything you do is on a scoring level, from retention calls, handle time, and even attendance. And the upper management does not allow time for meetings so you won't know how well you are doing until things get bad or if you get a perfect score and they announce it. The management team is very low standard and the HR department does not accurately give you info on benefits, time off, etc. I was let go because I was given wrong information about my time off even though I kept asking about it in advance and was told by one HR rep I was ok until I came in to work and my desk was cleaned out.

Make more time for meetings, allow more leniency for attendance, and open another call center to help bring the call volume and hold time down.

Worked for Gannett? Contribute to the Community!