Gannett

Updated December 19, 2014
2.5

Gannett President & CEO Gracia Martore
Gracia Martore

Pros
  • There are many good people within the company but a few spoil it for everyone (in 15 reviews)

• Work-life balance is pretty good for everyone outside of the sports department (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Having a healthy work/life balance is something that's frowned upon (in 8 reviews)

• Too much senior management that has been unable to produce expected results (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor Guidance and Organizational Development

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Strong training program and great "attempts" at having a fun and motivating environment.

Cons

Upper management does not have a clear direction for the future. Continued compensation adjustments to ensure the uncapped commission was not achieved on a regular basis. Professionalism has continually declined as desperation for employees continues to grow.

Settle on a direction and develop to it. Compensate employees what they deserve.

Great internship experience with a wonderful program

Former Employee - Intern in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Intern in McLean, VA

I worked at Gannett as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Structured internship program
    -Friendly staff
    -Great internship team/collaboration
    -You're actually doing real, meaningful work
    -Beautiful campus

Cons

-A bit overwhelming at times with all of the projects
    -Was there during a company restructure which was neat, but a bit messy

A sad place

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Owns a group of good stations (mostly ones formerly owned by Belo).

Cons

Benefits cut, shifted burden of health costs on to employees. Salaries cut. Layoffs. Poor treatment of employees.

Look at your employees as the way to make a profit rather than a burden on your P&L. This comes from a decade-plus employee of one of your newly-acquired operating companies. Sad Belo didn't buy you and lay you folks off instead of the other way around. I suppose you're glad you had good retrans deals, eh?

Can be fun but you have to watch your back.

I have been working at Gannett as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It can be a fun job at times, some people are very nice to you. You get a lot of news experience and see how everything is put together. You get to see your footage/story on live television.

Cons

Low pay. Work and life balance can be a pain, you're working a lot of overtime. People talk behind peoples backs a lot and can make others feel uncomfortable at times. Schedules can be messed up so you never know what is going, they switch you to cover something different then you were suppose to by telling the day before or on that day. Sometimes they get the locations wrong too. Management doesn't really pay attention and assumes things are fine but they really aren't. Sometimes you have to learn things on your own and sometimes you get criticize for not knowing something you were never trained on.

Manage schedules properly so employees don't get blamed for going over hours; making sure schedules are done correctly. Actually taking time to talk to your employees and seeing how they are doing instead of assuming everything is okay.

I worked for Gannett for about three years in their Information Technology department. I found it a great place to learn

Current Employee - Information Technology in Palm Springs, CA
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Palm Springs, CA

I have been working at Gannett

Pros

Everyone was very pleasant to me and I was able to get the mentoring support I needed to do my job even better.

Cons

There were times when it was impersonal, but I expected some level of that being in a typical large organization's technology department.

Keep up what you are doing, but remember that these are people that you are employing and they have needs outside of just money. Overall great place .

Invisible Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at Gannett as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The best thing about working at USA TODAY was the amount of exposure your articles got. Some of mine got 1 million unique page views while I was an intern there. The people were generally pleasant and, if you found the right people, there were some who were willing to be a mentor.

Cons

Getting a glimpse into the world of USA TODAY content, I realized that there was a very small staff dedicated to real, hard news and dozens of others dedicated to stupid entertainment pieces. While I was there, there was a rumor going around that someone would get fired if there wasn't a story about Miley Cyrus every day. And that was a true reflection of Gannett. They don't care about quality, they care about clicks. This was very apparent at USA TODAY.

The other thing is that USA TODAY doesn't offer much in the way of opportunities. Most of the young people working there were contractors making measly money and being forced to report as self-employed on their taxes, which is a serious doozy. And, USA TODAY is outside of the city, which is bad for a young reporter looking to network and become involved in the DC scene.

There's little management can do to change USA TODAY's direction. Gannett is at the helm.

Toeing the bottom line

I worked at Gannett

Pros

Pay is good, colleagues are congenial, work is meaningful, number of time-off hours is fine. New high-profile location is in heart of downtown.

Cons

Temperature of new office is so cold, people are working while wearing winter coats, but employees are not allowed to have space heaters at their desks. Employees may work very early or very late shifts, but are not allowed to eat at their desks. No loyalty at this company; a very corporate and ruthless mindset. Work may include weekends, early morning or late-night hours.

Treat people the way you would want to be treated, like human beings instead of figures on a corporate spreadsheet. If you would be embarrassed to have a policy made public, think twice about implementing it.

It was the worst run company I have ever bee at

Former Employee - Media Specialist in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Media Specialist in Louisville, KY

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Jason Brown and Barb Smith

Cons

The management team has turned a once thriving support center and turned it into garbage. The moral and workplace is not a good

Find a place where you can actually be a viable asset

sales

I have been working at Gannett

Pros

good culture, good benefits and chance of advancement. Great pay sturcture

Cons

long hours, work-life balance. should listen to people in the field more

Not the worst media company to work for, but not the best either

I have been working at Gannett

Pros

Gannett owns several high profile, quality stations that crank out admirable work. The company is pushing to stay ahead of the curve in the race to figure out where news is going.

Cons

News has inherently expensive operating costs, and when newspapers and tv stations are your primary source of revenue, you have to make them profitable. Unfortunately, that hurts the product & leaves employees frustrated. Not enough people to do the work that needs to be done. Also, healthcare coverage for anyone other than the employee (i.e. covering your family) is incredibly expensive.