Gannett

Updated December 19, 2014
2.5

Gannett President & CEO Gracia Martore
Gracia Martore

Pros
  • There are many good people within the company but a few spoil it for everyone (in 15 reviews)

• Work-life balance is pretty good for everyone outside of the sports department (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Having a healthy work/life balance is something that's frowned upon (in 8 reviews)

• Too much senior management that has been unable to produce expected results (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

I left and want back in! Grass isn't always greener

Former Employee - Senior Reporter in Asbury Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Reporter in Asbury Park, NJ

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Advancement. Strong company leadership. Training pretty good. Good pay and very good interactions with co-workers. Lots of opportunity for advancement. A company with a large diverse set of media assets which gives opportunity into different challenges.

Cons

There is a great deal of work to be done and not always a large number of people to do it. Still, there are rewards of the job, the company doing well, and great co-workers who make the place sing.

Continue to listen to employees and their needs. Not one policy fits all, so it's important to be flexible and understand what turns on employees.

A sad place

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Owns a group of good stations (mostly ones formerly owned by Belo).

Cons

Benefits cut, shifted burden of health costs on to employees. Salaries cut. Layoffs. Poor treatment of employees.

Look at your employees as the way to make a profit rather than a burden on your P&L. This comes from a decade-plus employee of one of your newly-acquired operating companies. Sad Belo didn't buy you and lay you folks off instead of the other way around. I suppose you're glad you had good retrans deals, eh?

worked for them for 22 years it was job

Former Employee - Press Operator in Maple Grove, MN
    Former Employee - Press Operator in Maple Grove, MN

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

time off was OK. some of benefits OK

Cons

working lots of o.t at maple grove minn plant . health insurance not very good management treat employees like your just a number

Just Experience

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Getting a recruiting background helped me get a position at a great company.

Cons

Work hard and you are rewarded with more work. Micro-management at its worst. Executives attempted to change commission to be based on year over year results knowing that the year over year numbers have not been hit in half a decade. Salary is crumbs!! Salary does not reflect what they expect from sales professionals.

STOP MICROMANAGING. STOP EXPECTING MILLION DOLLAR SALESPEOPLE WHEN YOU PAY THEM PENNIES.!

It was the worst run company I have ever bee at

Former Employee - Media Specialist in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Media Specialist in Louisville, KY

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Jason Brown and Barb Smith

Cons

The management team has turned a once thriving support center and turned it into garbage. The moral and workplace is not a good

Find a place where you can actually be a viable asset

Run the Other Way

Current Employee - TV Station in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - TV Station in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of unity among the staff.

Cons

They do not pay well
    High Turnover
    They do not hire from within
    They bring in people from outside that end up leaving due to poor conditions
    Favoritism
    Station ratings are at an all time low
    No longer a market leader

Look from within to promote. Take care of your good people. Revisit your benefits packages.

You'll be just another gear in the machine.

Former Employee - Print Artist in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Print Artist in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Full-Time 40 hrs no more no less, mid level pay with benefits for college students

Cons

Not allowed to communicate with other co-workers, must skype or email, even if they are sitting next to you at the table. Mangement does not care about quality of work you do only the amount of it you do. You are rated to to 3 advertisements an hour, if you don't meet that average you are given a warning, if it happens again within a 3 month period you are suspended/fired. No matter what the circumstances were. Some projects take 2 days to finish, if you were unlucky to get one you had to find a way to make up the lost time, the higher ups didn't care.

Restructure your philosophy on how you define success at each position and Managers need to be trained to have Managerial Skills not just be the fastest ad producer with the lowest error count. Just because they can create an ad fast does NOT BY ANY MEANS make them able to Manage an entire work floor of employees.

Good early on, sucked the past few years

Former Employee - Director in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Director in Detroit, MI

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There really are no good things about working under the Gannett umbrella any longer. The best thing I did was to leave the company which reduced my stress level one-hundred fold. Money isn't everything and I don't miss this place at all.

Cons

Frozen salaries for all but those at the highest levels of the company - since 2008! Annual benefit cost increases and doing more with fewer staff. Every year they figure out a new way to suck more money out of your paycheck so you are never getting ahead financially.

Started out great, turned into opposite

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Loved working with the corporation until the layoffs started. Like my workplace. Liked my fellow co-workers. Excellent salary for my expertise.

Cons

Management turned into a nightmare. Spiteful, good'old girl network. Sad way to treat quality people.

Treating people with dignity and respect shows character. I loved working for your company until the integrity declined.

Alright for a huge media company

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great manager and team, good career opportunities if you're willing to relocate, several opportunities to input into the company's initiatives

Cons

Below industry pay, very top-down "corporate" feel, old-school work environment, non-existent culture and bad communication across divisions

Take care of your people and they'll take care of you. Invest in creating a positive work environment, pay people what they're worth and give them the tools they need to do their jobs.