Gannett

www.gannett.com
Employer Engaged

Great internship experience with a wonderful program

Former Intern - Intern in McLean, VA
    Former Intern - Intern in McLean, VA

I worked at Gannett as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-Structured internship program
    -Friendly staff
    -Great internship team/collaboration
    -You're actually doing real, meaningful work
    -Beautiful campus

Cons

-A bit overwhelming at times with all of the projects
    -Was there during a company restructure which was neat, but a bit messy

poor managemnet

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Louisville, KY

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

easy work for $13.00/hr, bonuses and raises are offered but are hard to come by.

Cons

Toxic work enviroment created by management of the Call Center.

Since management in 2012 the call center is at an all time low in moral.

Department of fifth graders

Former Employee - Associate Editor in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Associate Editor in McLean, VA

I worked at Gannett (less than a year)

Pros

It was great to work at a large media company, doing the work that I enjoy and do excellently.

Cons

Training was cursory, and the people in my department acted like fifth graders with their gossiping and lack of professional support and stomping off to the supervisor when anything didn't go as expected. I often asked what I could do better at my job, because I clearly wasn't doing it according to one co-worker's expectations, but I was told that I was doing a great job and to keep up the good work. When that co-worker angrily told me, "We don't do it like that here," I asked her to please show me how they do it. She simply repeated herself and made no attempt to help me do it "their" way. When I told the supervisor about this and other rude behavior, she basically told me to deal with it because that employee is simply like that and had a history of outbursts and poor social skills. It turns out that this behavior comes from the top down, as that department head, too, ignores staff when she is angry with them and doesn't keep open communication regarding job duties and expectations.

Train managers to identify unprofessional behavior in their departments and to respond quickly and seriously to staff's complaints about other employees. I should have gone to HR instead of to my supervisor. Teach managers to communicate with staff even through times when they are angry with them.

Attitude Reflects Leadership

Former Employee - Senior Training Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Training Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Gannett full-time (less than a year)

Pros

State of the art facility in Indianapolis with Indy Star Media-A Gannett Company. This is the parent company of indystar.com and The Indianapolis Star.

Cons

The pros stop with the building... The leadership team, local media company and Gannett are struggling to find their footing in an industry that is rapidly changing. As an 11 year veteran of the industry on the sales, management and training side, I've seen it done the right way and the wrong way. This experience was completely the wrong way, down a one way street. But the strategy is not the biggest problem, it's the leadership and "top down" culture. Even when truly talented people with solid skill sets are hired, they soon learn that if you don't march in line, you're branded as someone who isn't "Gannett" material. And what does the leadership then do??? They cloak their dysfunction in gossip and the art of reputation bullying. The amount of unhappiness and distrust that floats through the vast office space is thick and can be cut with a knife on some days.

In the interview sessions, it all sounded so exciting. Ground floor even. But once in, I soon discovered that although some of my coworkers believed as I did (that we could build something exciting, powerful and deliver on the promise of why we were recruited there), the rules were written in opposition. Mainly due to the fact that Gannett's business model is to cut expenses through downsizing their workforce, programs, employee benefits (which are HORRIBLE) and any other means of getting down to the basics. I understand they answer to Wall Street, but we all know the definition of insanity. Well maybe for the leadership locally and corporately, it's a lesson yet fully learned.

So if someone was to ask me if they should go after a job with Star Media and/or Gannett, I would say it depends on the level of disappointment they are prepared to handle. All situations are different, and Gannett's many media properties around the country most likely have success stories (a few I've heard of), but it's not here in Indianapolis, and I know for a fact it's not at the corporate level. That Mother Ship has no connection to reality.

Lastly, the HR department both locally and corporately are the pits. It's a long winded story of miscommunication, poor hiring, lack of professionalism and just plain laziness. As someone who worked very closely at both levels on boarding new hires, it was always one of the biggest challenges.

By far, this was the worst culture I've ever been involved with. And although people tried to rise above it and push through with positive actions, the eye rolls from the old guard and the brow beaten staff, was enough to deflate anyone who attempted change or to share a new idea.

From a corporate aspect, hire outside of the company and then listen. It doesn't mean that you can't be an industry leader, so quit being so guarded. With some people in so called "leadership" positions that know only the Gannett way--well, that's like the blind leading the blind and contributes to the insanity of how business is conducted across the company. The problems with corporate are systemic and someone of great influence needs to take this quote to heart: "I will destroy this village to save it".

As for Star Media in Indianapolis, it's going to get worse before it gets better. With a 6.6% decrease in circulation in the past six months and the reactionary culture, it's a tough environment to work in if you are passionate about being the best at what you do. My advice to management: Get out of the way, support your employees, encourage new ideas and don't be afraid to let go of the power struggle within. Say this mantra with me "I'd rather be effective than right".

sales

I have been working at Gannett

Pros

good culture, good benefits and chance of advancement. Great pay sturcture

Cons

long hours, work-life balance. should listen to people in the field more

Not the worst media company to work for, but not the best either

I have been working at Gannett

Pros

Gannett owns several high profile, quality stations that crank out admirable work. The company is pushing to stay ahead of the curve in the race to figure out where news is going.

Cons

News has inherently expensive operating costs, and when newspapers and tv stations are your primary source of revenue, you have to make them profitable. Unfortunately, that hurts the product & leaves employees frustrated. Not enough people to do the work that needs to be done. Also, healthcare coverage for anyone other than the employee (i.e. covering your family) is incredibly expensive.

Not bad but same old politics

Former Employee - News in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - News in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Gannett

Pros

Good benefits. Pay is usually set in stone, so that makes it easy.

Cons

Executives play favoritism, same old politics

Don't make it so obvious that you have favorites.

Poor Guidance and Organizational Development

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Strong training program and great "attempts" at having a fun and motivating environment.

Cons

Upper management does not have a clear direction for the future. Continued compensation adjustments to ensure the uncapped commission was not achieved on a regular basis. Professionalism has continually declined as desperation for employees continues to grow.

Settle on a direction and develop to it. Compensate employees what they deserve.

Can be fun but you have to watch your back.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Gannett as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

It can be a fun job at times, some people are very nice to you. You get a lot of news experience and see how everything is put together. You get to see your footage/story on live television.

Cons

Low pay. Work and life balance can be a pain, you're working a lot of overtime. People talk behind peoples backs a lot and can make others feel uncomfortable at times. Schedules can be messed up so you never know what is going, they switch you to cover something different then you were suppose to by telling the day before or on that day. Sometimes they get the locations wrong too. Management doesn't really pay attention and assumes things are fine but they really aren't. Sometimes you have to learn things on your own and sometimes you get criticize for not knowing something you were never trained on.

Manage schedules properly so employees don't get blamed for going over hours; making sure schedules are done correctly. Actually taking time to talk to your employees and seeing how they are doing instead of assuming everything is okay.

Invisible Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in McLean, VA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in McLean, VA

I worked at Gannett as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working at USA TODAY was the amount of exposure your articles got. Some of mine got 1 million unique page views while I was an intern there. The people were generally pleasant and, if you found the right people, there were some who were willing to be a mentor.

Cons

Getting a glimpse into the world of USA TODAY content, I realized that there was a very small staff dedicated to real, hard news and dozens of others dedicated to stupid entertainment pieces. While I was there, there was a rumor going around that someone would get fired if there wasn't a story about Miley Cyrus every day. And that was a true reflection of Gannett. They don't care about quality, they care about clicks. This was very apparent at USA TODAY.

The other thing is that USA TODAY doesn't offer much in the way of opportunities. Most of the young people working there were contractors making measly money and being forced to report as self-employed on their taxes, which is a serious doozy. And, USA TODAY is outside of the city, which is bad for a young reporter looking to network and become involved in the DC scene.

There's little management can do to change USA TODAY's direction. Gannett is at the helm.