Gannett Reviews

Updated March 31, 2015
457 reviews filtered by

Poor pay, horrible benefits, extremely challenged industry--but nice people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asbury Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asbury Park, NJ

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People are very nice. All the way up to the VP level, I have not yet interacted with anyone who wasn't decent and pleasant to deal with. No real politics to speak of. Everyone seems to be straight forward. They seem to higher young people and put them into positions where they can really learn a lot. Can be a great learning experience for the right person. Still investing in the business despite the challenges in the newspaper industry. Not yet cutting back on marketing investments, etc.

Cons

Well, the newspaper side is extremely challenged obviously. It's not a matter of growing the business, it's a matter of managing the shrinkage as much as possible. A lot of pressure and a lot of work. Pay is poor in my opinion (although if you are young you may feel differently) and benefits are HORRIBLE. Someone else mentioned the insurance is basically just catastrophic insurance and that is a good way of looking at it. Also, there doesn't seem to be any strategy or focus on moving from print to digital. The focus is still nearly 100% on promoting print home delivery customers and not on digital at all. Advertising is focused on digital but circulation/home delivery is not at all. Management in the Asbury office is questionable. Nice people but no sense of leadership at all. Also, all Gannett offices are moving to an open office environment, i.e., no offices, no cubicles, just desks lined up next to each other. I actually have learned to like this as I communicate much better with my co-workers than I would have if we were all in cubes. But it was definitely an adjustment. No privacy at all.

The high cost of medical benefits really creates a lot of ill will among employees. I'm paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars more per month than I did at my previous job and the coverage is worse. Ultimately, this will be one of the main reasons why I leave my job. Also, everyone is wondering what the future is and obviously there is a lot of concern for those who work on the newspaper side. There doesn't seem to be any messaging from management to us about that. Obviously the news isn't good but I think we'd all appreciate hearing the truth rather than just getting silence.

Pay, culture, planning, understanding of what's reality is all lacking.

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The love of micromanagement, the joy of having to watch your back all the time, the thrill of never knowing when your number will be called for a layoff, the sheer enjoyment of knowing your immediate superior would sooner stomp on your back than back you up.

Cons

Being underpaid and under appreciated. High cost of benefits. Power mongering senior management that doesn't care about the rank and file. Inability to get anything accomplished without approval from two or three people above you. And oh yeah, the company is killing the print product.

Quit and let some younger blood take over. Gracia, Bob, get another life. You've got your golden parachutes, take them and get out.

3. Very unethical

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Gannett full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great technology. Professional employees.

Cons

Managment team
    Lack of training for new employees
    Mother and Daughter should not work in the same department
    High turnover
    Ratings are at an all time low
    Unrealistic budgets
    Lack of focus

Take care of your people
    Listen to them

5. HR Great, Staff Wonderful, Pay is OK

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working for Gannett you feel as though you are "fighting the good fight." The HR staff and interview/recruitment process are wonderful. In addition, the staff is great and have a very helpful, team first attitude... across all divisions. Ever since Martore became CEO and leadership team was restructured, there has been a wonderful difference in company vision and morale.

Cons

The salary is not great, dependent on position.

Keep communication as open as possible so the big picture is always in view. This has become of greater focus recently, and it helps keep the "eye on the prize."

Decent Company, Decent opportunity for money, but a lot of BS

Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at Gannett

Pros

Good reps, good products, good people to be around, fun to be in a station

Cons

Company has no idea what direction they are going in
    Products are confusing and overpriced
    Management is awful

Get better

7. poor managemnet

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Louisville, KY

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

easy work for $13.00/hr, bonuses and raises are offered but are hard to come by.

Cons

Toxic work enviroment created by management of the Call Center.

Since management in 2012 the call center is at an all time low in moral.

8. Great internship experience with a wonderful program

Former Intern - Intern in McLean, VA
    Former Intern - Intern in McLean, VA

I worked at Gannett as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-Structured internship program
    -Friendly staff
    -Great internship team/collaboration
    -You're actually doing real, meaningful work
    -Beautiful campus

Cons

-A bit overwhelming at times with all of the projects
    -Was there during a company restructure which was neat, but a bit messy

9. Department of fifth graders

Former Employee - Associate Editor in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Associate Editor in McLean, VA

I worked at Gannett (less than a year)

Pros

It was great to work at a large media company, doing the work that I enjoy and do excellently.

Cons

Training was cursory, and the people in my department acted like fifth graders with their gossiping and lack of professional support and stomping off to the supervisor when anything didn't go as expected. I often asked what I could do better at my job, because I clearly wasn't doing it according to one co-worker's expectations, but I was told that I was doing a great job and to keep up the good work. When that co-worker angrily told me, "We don't do it like that here," I asked her to please show me how they do it. She simply repeated herself and made no attempt to help me do it "their" way. When I told the supervisor about this and other rude behavior, she basically told me to deal with it because that employee is simply like that and had a history of outbursts and poor social skills. It turns out that this behavior comes from the top down, as that department head, too, ignores staff when she is angry with them and doesn't keep open communication regarding job duties and expectations.

Train managers to identify unprofessional behavior in their departments and to respond quickly and seriously to staff's complaints about other employees. I should have gone to HR instead of to my supervisor. Teach managers to communicate with staff even through times when they are angry with them.

I worked for Gannett for about three years in their Information Technology department. I found it a great place to learn

Current Employee - Information Technology in Palm Springs, CA
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Palm Springs, CA

I have been working at Gannett

Pros

Everyone was very pleasant to me and I was able to get the mentoring support I needed to do my job even better.

Cons

There were times when it was impersonal, but I expected some level of that being in a typical large organization's technology department.

Keep up what you are doing, but remember that these are people that you are employing and they have needs outside of just money. Overall great place .

Not bad but same old politics

Former Employee - News in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - News in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Gannett

Pros

Good benefits. Pay is usually set in stone, so that makes it easy.

Cons

Executives play favoritism, same old politics

Don't make it so obvious that you have favorites.