Gap International

Updated December 22, 2014
4.1

Gap International CEO Pontish Yeramyan
Pontish Yeramyan

Pros
  • Together we are making a difference in thousands of lives and economies around the world (in 13 reviews)

• The opportunity to travel the world and make significant impact with executive teams and their results (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • the culture is such that the lines between personal life and work blur a little at Gap (in 11 reviews)

• no work-life balance hidden behind the "How committed are you (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

fun times

Current Employee - Consultant in Springfield, PA

I have been working at Gap International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Healthy and supportive work environment

Cons

I can't think of any

Awesome!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Gap International

Pros

Company cares about it's employees, great discounts and other benefits.

Cons

Tasking while maintain hreatbcustomer service, its hard but doable for the right employees!

A work environment that sets me up to grow as much as i want to and gives me the space to do so

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, PA

I have been working at Gap International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At the heart of our company it's about challenging and growing ourselves in order to make a huge difference for our clients. I love being part of this environment. We always work in teams and have access to make immediate contributions. I think THE quality that makes Gap different in a great way is the leadership's genuine care for personal development and their consistent direct and effective feedback on leading. I am very fortunate to be working with so many dynamic and amazing colleagues.

Cons

We are constantly elevating our different skills and competencies. Given the multi-matrix environment it is challenging to invest a lot of time and resources into one specific accountability and thus specialize/ develop a niche in one specific area. This is the next challenge i need to think and work through.

Very helpful, and inclusive. Work/life balance can be a blurry

I worked at Gap International full-time

Pros

Great way to develop leadership skills and carving your own path.

Cons

Can seem almost "cult-like" in the way that they include you into the company. Don't get me wrong, the people here are extremely helpful and friendly, but it borders on overbearing the way they try to include you into the community.

Try not to "nice" everyone into being so included into the company. You have to allow people to do their own things.

Great place to work if your top choice is to work at a cult

Current Employee - Management Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Management Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Gap International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A nice building, some friendly executives, and good benefits.

Cons

-A joke of a starting pay - that is non-negotiable.
    -They are not beneath lying their way out of things and it is actually a very common practice for them
    -You can't go too far for Christmas, even to see your family, because they have a meeting between Christmas and New Years that is required
    -REAL consulting companies will not touch you after they see that you came from Gap. They will assume that you have been too brainwashed by this company and their weak methodologies to actually be a serious candidate
    -They have people from arts, photography, theater, etc. They don't care about your background, but more about how easily brainwashed you can be.
    -I have wasted too much of my time here and their work is honestly a joke.

Try using HONESTY and stop offering such low salaries.

Interesting company, nice people, fun travel opportunities, long hours, weekend trainings, work=life

Current Employee - Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Gap International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Choose your own career path. You can start in one division of the company and move into a completely different one with little to no difficulty.
    -You can be on as many teams (sales, functional, consulting) as you want.
    -If you feel like you don't have enough to do, there's always more. If there's nothing more that your boss has for you to work on, you can make up your own projects.
    -If you have too much to do, you can negotiate your workload down to something more manageable.
    -You are given a lot of free reign.
    -It's a very cushy place to work. Gorgeous work environment, friendly people who actually care about you. You can stay your entire career if you want.
    -Insurance is pretty good. You can get 80% coverage of anything "alternative", including massages/acupuncture/etc.
    -If your financial situation at home is already pretty good, this is a great place to work.
    -If you are comfortable opening up about your personal life in great detail to groups of people you work with, then this is a great place for you.
    -If you want free life coaching, work here.

Cons

-Pay is about half of industry standard, and low for the philadelphia area in general.
    -Pay is slow to increase. If you successfully sell Gap's consulting or it's courses, your pay may increase more quickly, but that is not a given.
    -Training is a long and laborious process. Even after completing what you are told is all the training you need, they make up more training for you to take, further delaying your ability to go out consulting with clients. Seems like a never-ending process with no end in sight.
    -The bonus at the end of the year is hit or miss. Some years it's big, other years it's non-existent.
    -If you are uncomfortable opening up about your personal life in great detail to groups of people you work with, then this is not a great place for you.
    -Honestly most of the negative things that have been written before I have personally experienced during my time here. It's also true that there are a lot of spam positive reviews left of the company, which is why it's at 4+ stars out of 5. The company reads these responses frequently and inserts new spam ones to maintain it's image.

Please get rid of the policy where everybody in the company is required to sell. The reality is that there are a few people who are very good at selling the work that Gap does, and the rest of us just sit and feel stupid. The sales trainings at the company are not useful. Hire sales people, build a robust sales team, and let the rest of company focus on being stellar in our many functional roles, and in our consulting.

Also the baseline salary needs to be increased at minimum 25% to be a match for other companies in the area.

Great place to work, learn, and grow yourself as a leader

Current Employee - Consultant, Product Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Consultant, Product Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Gap International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are fully committed to you as a person, your career and challenges, and your leadership development

Cons

no work-life balance hidden behind the "How committed are you?" disguese

Amazing place to work and grow, but it takes some getting used to

Current Employee - Intern in Springfield, PA
    Current Employee - Intern in Springfield, PA

I have been working at Gap International as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Safe working environment
    Great place to develop your leadership and learn a lot of skills.

Cons

Difficult to balance your work and your personal life. They become blended.
    Can work over time without getting compensated.
    Always busy.

Interesting company to work for

I have been working at Gap International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Gap International engenders a fantastic working atmosphere. There is also ample opportunity to create/carve out your own path. If you have an idea for something or there is a path you want to take, make your case, and management will listen. Oftentimes, they also let you do it. It's not a closed off place. There is a lot of opportunity to travel and meet with clients. There is easy access to senior executives. And they will encourage you to take on challenges. This is not a place where you will get berated for making mistakes. Growth is always encouraged. It's also a company that is growing rapidly and whose business model and products are taking some serious ground.

Cons

it is a unique business model and the consulting skills you acquire here aren't necessarily transferable. The matrixed nature of the organization spreads some people too thin in terms of handling all job accountabilities. There is an emphasis on business development that is not for everyone. Management is stuck in their ways about certain benefits (i.e., vacation time) and the amount of time they require from you outside of regular business hours for training and development. However, I will say that there is a ton of thought put behind each and every decision they make. It is not like they're out there throwing darts blindfolded. The company does truly care about it's decisions.

You're building a great company. However, be a bit more open-minded about changing certain things when employees bring concerns up or you read them on a website like this.

Consultant

Former Employee - Management Consultant in Springfield, PA
    Former Employee - Management Consultant in Springfield, PA

I worked at Gap International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Some Travel
    - Partial Expense Perks
    - Low Benefits
    - Lots of down time
    - You can become a consultant with no experience!
    - You get really good at "double talk"
    - You will be able to sell freezers to eskimos in no time flat
    - You will buy a power tie
    - They are always hiring and recruiting

Cons

- Once you are in, you are there for a while, never mind experience that you can take with you. After hearing that I was there for several years, no other consultancy firm would touch me.
    - Their Gap Days were beyond cringe worthy. Hope you like sharing and crying and cheerleading for any number of things that make very little sense.
    - They force you into a community
    - Their "inquiries" are way too much like something that is a common practice in scientology.
    - More than a bit cult-like
    - A true culture of BLAME
    - Nobody can truly make a decision without a committee
    - All of my co-workers seemed to have been there since day 1, or failed at their previous life goals.
    - Their consultancy focuses on feelings and mind tricks, and has nothing to do with efficiency.
    - They pay interns to leave good reviews on socially driven career websites (cough)
    - The pay never matched the hours worked or the fulfillment from "just being there"
    - CEO has a bit of a "anonymous leader" vibe. In four years, I never once saw her at the office, unless it was a company outing, conference, or meeting.
    - Their clear focus on hiring only attractive people is appalling, if you are obese, forget it. Not for you.
    - They only care about your family if they "join"
    - Some of the senior consultants are a bit bully-ish
    - If you need to talk about a serious problem, there is always a someone there to pretend to listen and care.
    - They are always hiring and recruiting

You could recommend this place to someone you hate, or as a cruel practical joke.

I'm sorry if this sounds a tad harsh but it is the general consensus. Does anyone notice that all of the "positive", 4 star reviews are saccharin and clumped together at the same time?Even the cons are pros.
    Quite frankly I think a place thats focuses on hiring pre-existing employees' friends and family over talent and experience kind of speaks for itself. If you were the CEO of a huge corporation, would you want these people taking your money to teach you how to act?

It's 2014, not 1993. Think about that next time you review your average salaries, business ethics, and overall company presentation.