Gap International

Gap International Reviews

Updated Mar 27, 2014

Gap International CEO Pontish Yeramyan

Pontish Yeramyan

Pros:
  • "Together we are making a difference in thousands of lives and economies around the world"
    in 14 reviews
  • "The opportunity to travel the world and make significant impact with executive teams and their results"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "the culture is such that the lines between personal life and work blur a little at Gap"
    in 9 reviews
  • "The company doesn't believe in work-life balance, just outcomes in your life"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Interesting company to work for

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gap International full-time for more than a year

ProsGap International engenders a fantastic working atmosphere. There is also ample opportunity to create/carve out your own path. If you have an idea for something or there is a path you want to take, make your case, and management will listen. Oftentimes, they also let you do it. It's not a closed off place. There is a lot of opportunity to travel and meet with clients. There is easy access to senior executives. And they will encourage you to take on challenges. This is not a place where you will get berated for making mistakes. Growth is always encouraged. It's also a company that is growing rapidly and whose business model and products are taking some serious ground.

Consit is a unique business model and the consulting skills you acquire here aren't necessarily transferable. The matrixed nature of the organization spreads some people too thin in terms of handling all job accountabilities. There is an emphasis on business development that is not for everyone. Management is stuck in their ways about certain benefits (i.e., vacation time) and the amount of time they require from you outside of regular business hours for training and development. However, I will say that there is a ton of thought put behind each and every decision they make. It is not like they're out there throwing darts blindfolded. The company does truly care about it's decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're building a great company. However, be a bit more open-minded about changing certain things when employees bring concerns up or you read them on a website like this.

Consultant

Management Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Gap International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Some Travel
- Partial Expense Perks
- Low Benefits
- Lots of down time
- You can become a consultant with no experience!
- You get really good at "double talk"
- You will be able to sell freezers to eskimos in no time flat
- You will buy a power tie
- They are always hiring and recruiting

Cons- Once you are in, you are there for a while, never mind experience that you can take with you. After hearing that I was there for several years, no other consultancy firm would touch me.
- Their Gap Days were beyond cringe worthy. Hope you like sharing and crying and cheerleading for any number of things that make very little sense.
- They force you into a community
- Their "inquiries" are way too much like something that is a common practice in scientology.
- More than a bit cult-like
- A true culture of BLAME
- Nobody can truly make a decision without a committee
- All of my co-workers seemed to have been there since day 1, or failed at their previous life goals.
- Their consultancy focuses on feelings and mind tricks, and has nothing to do with efficiency.
- They pay interns to leave good reviews on socially driven career websites (cough)
- The pay never matched the hours worked or the fulfillment from "just being there"
- CEO has a bit of a "anonymous leader" vibe. In four years, I never once saw her at the office, unless it was a company outing, conference, or meeting.
- Their clear focus on hiring only attractive people is appalling, if you are obese, forget it. Not for you.
- They only care about your family if they "join"
- Some of the senior consultants are a bit bully-ish
- If you need to talk about a serious problem, there is always a someone there to pretend to listen and care.
- They are always hiring and recruiting

You could recommend this place to someone you hate, or as a cruel practical joke.

I'm sorry if this sounds a tad harsh but it is the general consensus. Does anyone notice that all of the "positive", 4 star reviews are saccharin and clumped together at the same time?Even the cons are pros.
Quite frankly I think a place thats focuses on hiring pre-existing employees' friends and family over talent and experience kind of speaks for itself. If you were the CEO of a huge corporation, would you want these people taking your money to teach you how to act?

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's 2014, not 1993. Think about that next time you review your average salaries, business ethics, and overall company presentation.

Great place for personal and professional growth, loved working there!

Management Consultant (Former Employee)
Springfield, PA

I worked at Gap International full-time for more than a year

ProsNATURE OF WORK: the work that the company does is highly interesting (it's not advisory business services like some other consulting firms, but revolves around the psychology/mindsets of extraordinary performance in business) and young associates get exposure to very high level executives from various industries. Personally, I loved client exposure, because the type of executives who work with Gap tend to be both extremely driven and open-minded. Moreover, every associate is involved in numerous areas (internally and externally with clients) which means that the work is quite diverse and rarely gets monotone.

CULTURE: the company is all about personal growth and you are expected to constantly challenge yourself. There is a lot of training and you would never be penalized because you feel like you do not know how to do something - everyone is extremely supportive. The executives actively seek to mentor and coach the associates which I found very helpful. Above all, the culture is highly entrepreneurial - you are not only allowed, but also encouraged to get involved in areas that interest you. For instance, I was interested in a couple of projects in the Marketing department and asked to get involved, which was met with great support (I had no previous experience in marketing). This gives you agency over your development.

PEOPLE: I loved the people with whom I worked. I left the company because I wanted to go to graduate school, but I was actually very sad to leave my colleagues who were just really awesome people.

ConsPROCESSES: the company is growing very fast which means that some processes that were sufficient previously are no longer so and this sometimes creates bottlenecks. However, it seemed to me that the executives were constantly working on addressing such bottlenecks.

PERSONAL VS. WORK LIFE: not a "con" per se and it was not at all a problem for me, but it was an issue for people who did not enjoy working at the company – the culture is such that the lines between personal life and work blur a little at Gap. People get to know each other very well on a personal level. If you hate talking about your personal life, this might be an issue for you. Personally, I actually really liked the personable culture and retain great friendships even after leaving the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that the company's fast growth does not dilute the culture. Upgrade processes to avoid frustrating bottlenecks.

Great co-workers!

I have been working at Gap International full-time for more than a year

ProsConsistent reviews of your performance
Work is always challenging
Make an impact on the way businesses operate
Ability to travel the world

ConsNight and weekend company meetings
Salary not competitive with hours worked

Great for someone who wants a career but can't choose one

Associate (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Gap International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- You get to do whatever you want in the company as long as your prove yourself and hit your extraordinary outcomes
- You learn how to resolve conflict with others in a responsible and mature manner
- You get the opportunity to travel around the country and world, but expect to go to bed at midnight and wake up at 5am
- You get a lot of coaching

Cons- Was somewhat cult-like, it felt like once you were in, you were in for life, and it was very difficult to get out
- Don't expect to hit your goals, they are in place to make you feel inadequate and like you have to give your entire life to the company
- The company doesn't believe in work-life balance, just outcomes in your life
- The salary is not enough to live comfortably and pay back student loans, in fact, you may need a job on the side
- You find yourself talking in the language that the company uses internally and with clients so do not expect to be understood by anyone who works outside the company. No one outside of Gap really wants you talk about how much you feel, if you're aligned, or if you had a breakthrough recently.

Advice to Senior Management- Be yourselves and stop striving to be just like Pontish.

Ok place to work, management at least listens to what doesn't work and changes accordingly

Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gap International full-time for more than a year

Pros-Great travel opportunities
-You feel like you're making a difference with what you do
-It's like having the best therapy of your life 8 hours a day
-The insurance policy is amazing
-Because the culture of a company is crucial to its success, the senior management really takes care to create a very supporting culture in its people. I love everyone I work with.
-Any issues with workload/overload is negotiable. The emphasis is that your life/work works for you.
-Tons of opportunity for growth.
-Projects are yours to create and manage. It doesn't matter how much job experience you have - if you have an idea that forwards the company's mission of "Transforming organizations transforming the world", you are fully free to voice that idea and start working on it, per alignment with your leaders and teams.
-Gap is growing like crazy. If you want a startup like atmosphere at a firm that's been established for 35 years, this is the perfect place for you.

Cons-Starting pay is low. This is intentionally as you are not expected to really contribute value for the first year or two. During this time you are being trained. Once you are sufficiently trained in how Gap consults, there is plenty of opportunity for salary growth. If you stay at the company long enough there is plenty of wealth for you. But not in the beginning. That said, if you successfully sell our consulting or courses, you will see faster salary growth, and have the opportunity for secret sales bonuses (the bonuses exist, but are not talked about ever)
-It's a lot to adjust to. Gap intentionally does not operate like many other firms and your expectations of a normal workplace may leave you upset at times. This is not a bad thing per se. Anything you are upset about you are free to have a conversation about with the right person (i.e. if you are upset about something in your sales accountability, you would talk to your sales general manager, and no one else unless they recommend you to). Just be cautious about publicly voicing concerns, as this will not be received well. You will be confronted about it quickly by higher ups in the company.
-Management ultimately has your holistic well being in mind, but will confront you at the first opportunity about anything that doesn't work for you or for them.
-The people are great but it takes a while to get used to the group dynamic.
-On-boarding/training is not fully understood. Some training programs exist but the art of training consultants quickly is still a work in progress. At this point, you will see satisfying returns on your training investments after a year (i.e. you will be able to go out and consult with clients). Before that there is little to no travel/opportunity for client interaction. If you want faster training and development, look to another firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people with sales background and embrace their sales genius. Don't just try to create it in people who have never done it before. Hire sales leaders to lead the company to the revenue/sales goals it wants to have.

A place to push yourself and grow

Director (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Gap International full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCo-workers profound and authentic support for my success.
The opportunity to travel the world and make significant impact with executive teams and their results. You are the only one that will stop your growth, expansion and learning. Because I am supported in living our values, my family also wins.

ConsGiving yourself fully at work - is not for everyone. Sometimes having to be responsible in places of my life I don't want to be is uncomfortable, but I am always happy in the end.

Growing company with a lot of opportunity

I have been working at Gap International

ProsAs the company grows, more and more people are getting an opportunity to take on bigger challenges, and lead at a higher level
I feel that my ideas are taken seriously and considered by our senior management
The culture is amazingly supportive of work/life balance considering we have to travel a decent amount for our consulting work.

ConsI'm sometimes given jobs that are bigger than I think I can handle. It always works out in the end, but there are sometimes growing pains as I work myself through the early stages of figuring out how to handle it all.
In general, we are discovering some growing pains because we are growing so fast right now. Our processes haven't all caught up, so we have misunderstandings, or process breakdowns, which can be frustrating.

Fascinating work with amazing global set of clients

Director (Current Employee)
Phila, PA

I have been working at Gap International full-time

ProsA rapidly growing company working with clients around the world on projects that enhance the lives of millions of people. The company itself still has an entrepreneurial spirit even though it has been around for 35 years. The employees are very connected and care for each other and the culture is very inclusive.

ConsThe rapid growth of the company is placing high demands on the growth of consultants at every level (not sure that this is necessarily a negative, but it does take something to rise to this.)

A place with heart and drive

I have been working at Gap International full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDiverse backgrounds of all kinds - from Ivy MBAs, former military....Gap is a place with a surprising amount of diversity given its size.
A dynamic CEO who cares deeply about each and every person.
The purpose of the company guides the daily operation of the business - its real. People are here because they connect to and care about that.
Opportunity to work in multiple areas at a time and get a fair amount of responsibility early on.
There's a lot of heart here. People do care about you. There's a lot of support and commitment to working together.

ConsIf you aren't used to people caring about you as a person, this is not the place for you.
Sometimes the alignment process can slow decisions down.

Worked for Gap International? Contribute to the Community!

Gap International – Why Work for Us?

​​​​​Transforming Organizations Transforming the World​​​​​ This is Gap International’s purpose and our only work. For more than 30 years we have built expertise and a track record of results in transforming the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gap International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gap International CEO Pontish Yeramyan. All 80 reviews posted anonymously by Gap International employees.