Garage

2.8

Andrew Lufty

Great - structured company

I have been working at Garage

Pros

- upper management cares about your professional as well as personal growth
    - open communication between stores and DMs
    - enough resources to refer to whenever issues arise
    - great platform for building and molding employees to be a great and successful leader !

Cons

Nothing! It's been great so far !

Keep up the great work !

Disorganized and Unprofessional

Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in Braintree, MA
    Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in Braintree, MA

I worked at Garage full-time

Pros

The pay is good if you have experience and are working in a high volume store. The coaching tools are there, should management implement them properly. Tremendous opportunity for growth in the US if you are ambitious and love retail. I loved doing the work as a visual assistant, but hated sales and you have to be able to wear both hats. The district visual manager came in from out of state to train with my store manager and me, and I will say it was the most one-on-one time a company has spent training me on visuals. That being said, I also have several years experience in retail management and merchandising and knew what to expect in regard to workload.

Cons

When you are a manager in retail the expectation is that your life revolves around the store. That's just the way it is and I knew what to expect. However, I was consistently being scheduled to work 6 days a week, working 11 hour days. Most of the managers have little to no management experience and the result was complete disorganization, high turnover (3 SM's in less than a year), and a lack of unprofessionalism that is totally unacceptable.

The turnover rate was awful, and I literally got calls almost every day to come in early or on my day off. This company expects far too much from associates based on the payoff for them. They are not little managers, they're 19-year-olds with little or no experience and management needs to support them.

Very high pressure sales here. Corporate wants you to basically harass the customer until they buy something. Sales change on a dime and it's really confusing to customers, and even to employees.

On a few occasions one of my fellow managers went off on me in the store, swearing, yelling, the whole nine yards. She received a stern talking to but no write up. I've seen similar behavior demonstrated by visiting managers from other stores. As long as corporate likes you, you can pretty much get away with anything. I know some store managers who hire their friends and roommates, and in most companies this is not tolerated because it leads to favoritism. Again, if they like you they look the other way.

I loved the visual aspect, but ultimately ended up leaving because I found a job in another field. However, I wouldn't have started looking for a job elsewhere if the work environment was more bearable.

Corporate needs to hire managers with experience, instead of rushing at the last minute just to get warm bodies in. Also, stop trying every promotion under the sun at once out of desperation. Listen to your managers when they tell you what competitors are doing. Stop with the favoritism and follow through on policies. Also, value the different strengths in your employees and find out what motivates them so you don't have to hire new people every three months.

Ridiculous

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Garage

Pros

To be perfectly honest, I did not enjoy one thing about working here. So what, there's a 50% off discount. Well duh, that's only like that because your expected to wear their clothing.

Cons

*No real training, once you start you are expected to know everything
    *no constructive criticism, you just get yelled at for tasks you did not complete when you weren't trained correctly in the first place
    *unrealistic expecations, expect you to change 10 mannequins, pull out fits, steam outfits in a matter of a half hour "before store opens and gets busy"
    *late pay checks "at best paychecks will arrive saturday" which means your check won't clear until Tuesday of next week...this job, if it's your career is your livelihood. We have bills to pay.
    *unclear directives on promotions, visual aspects of store. You have to go to a lot of different places to find what you are looking for
    *very pushy customer service
    *expect you to sell when there is no commission and scolded when you don't make your sales goal
    *very old fashioned register system and everything you do has to be witnessed and double signed. The company has very strange operational rules and do not trust any of their employees.
    *company does not sensor clothing, and it's the management's fault when something gets stolen. Customer service is not going to prevent people from stealing. Customers don't want to shop in a store where they feel hounded and someone is breathing down their necks every two seconds
    *extremely overwhelming, you always feel lIke you don't know anything when you've been there for months and you feel you can't do anything right
    *immature management, instead of explaining a task or being understanding, they get mad and give you silent treatment
    *schedule is done Thursday for the next week. I'm sorry but three days in advance is not enough time. The schedule should be made a week in advance
    *long hours, you never leave on time
    *if you don't look the brand, you have no chance of even getting a position working here
    *maximum of 5 sales associates who don't get any hours
    *you have to hand write promotions and different signage. Between customer service and everything else, I have time to write with window chalk on the entry window for 2 hours. Seriously?
    *back stock is unmanageable with stock associates who have no idea what they're doing

Beware of this company and do not disregard all the bad reviews

Stop acting like children and teach your team to effectively run the store. Do not expect them to know everything when they receive improper training from a "training manager" who has no idea what they're doing. Seems like a lot of people in this company blame others for not knowing anything when they are the unqualified

If only they paid enough

Current Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in Paramus, NJ
    Current Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in Paramus, NJ

I have been working at Garage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- 50% off discount
    - if you have the right store manager, willing to help develop you
    -if you have the right team, can be very fun even when the store is very busy

Cons

I worked at Garage as a sales associate for 2 years. I left then came back as a Key Holder..It took me about a year before I was promoted to Visual Assistant Manager. Which was great if I was paid properly. As an VAM you must do all the visual merchandising work, which include floorsets, placing new product, doing or overseeing that markdowns and transfers were done along with running the sales floor, training, and meeting sales expectations.

Because of a great Co-Manager, we split up the work very evenly. Being VAM was very demanding for very little pay. I loved what I did but that doesn't pay the bills. I would work 13 hour shifts, which were sometimes overnight and then come in just a few hours later for my next shift. During my time as a VAM I wanted to moved up as a CO or transfer to another store, which seemed to be completely ignored until I gave my two weeks. As soon as my two weeks was given, the District manager called to try and get me to stay. Unfortunately they couldn't afford me any longer.

Appreciate the good workers you do have before they leave. Some associates and mangers actually love their job but never get positive feedback which is why they look else where. Hire those who are use to high volume. Those who work in a low volume store find Garage to be "stressful" because they're not use to the traffic which affects turnover.

KeyHolder

Former Employee - Keyholder in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Keyholder in Miami, FL

I worked at Garage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Promote within, lots of opportunities to grow if retail is your goal, will learn basics of running a business

Cons

Way too many hours, hours not paid at time, management

Unorganized, Lack of trust, too many promises that don't happen.

I worked at Garage

Pros

50% off Discount, great associates, music.

Cons

Reviewed these reviews but ignored it because this was my favorite store to shop at and figured it couldnt be that bad. Started off when DM was almost an hour late to my interview. Trained for few weeks-learned nothing from it. stuck into a new business with all new people-resulted into store crashing and employees quitting. Promised pay in offer letter, turned it around and got less. Expect you to work all day and not take breaks. Also praise working off the clock-whether salary or hourly. Manipulative to employees. Over work you and make you do unnecessary tasks just to keep busy. DM nevernever satisfied, never failed to make you feel like you weren't good enough. Let business run without a manager for a while. They Don't trust employees (refer to their "Canadian policies"). Not flexible with hours. Never worked for a company that cared so little for employees. Promise promotions to a few people just to get them to work harder with nothing but stress in return. DO NOT, I REPEAT. DO NOT FALL FOR THEM and their "competitive pay". NOTHING is worth working for this company.

Communication is key.

STAY CLEAR OF THIS COMPANY

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Garage full-time

Pros

50% off discount........that is all

Cons

Before starting this job I read the reviews online and decided to ignore all the bad comments. DONT ignore the reviews. HORRIBLE company to work for. TERRIBLE training then throw you in and expect you to know everything. Favoritism. Unprofessional district manager. Oh and don't count on your paychecks getting there on time, but they'll do their "best efforts". By far the most unprofessional and disorganized company I have ever worked for.

Better communication. H/O needs more organization. Idk how two paychecks in a row get delivered late. We do have bills that need to be paid..that is why we're working after all.

Training is rushed and you must figure it out for yourself

Former Employee - Store Manager in Woodbridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Woodbridge, NJ

I worked at Garage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

reasonable discount, health & dental insurance, opportunity to self teach and self maintain

Cons

Training rushed, sloppy structure, communication issues, required 40 hour min. work week but prefer you work over4

I advise you learn to communicate with one another.Fully investigate issues before jumping to to conclusions, and stop hiring people just to fill positions; when asking people to work out of the location, make sure that you don't later get upset because they did not complete the 40 hour work week in-store.

Disorganized company

I worked at Garage

Pros

Just the 50% off
    Paid Vacation
    Hours are manageable

Cons

Training is horrible. Associates are just thrown into working without proper knowledge or training then are expected to perform exceptionally.
    The company stresses employees to be very loss prevention when they don't even have sensors which can be bought with the amount of money they lose each year. They expect the associates to stop customers from stealing by "customer servicing" them which is pointless because they are going to steal anyways no matter how nice they are to them.
    Their help service is really not a help service because at the end you have to help yourself because they have no idea as to what they are doing.

Get sensors !
    Training !

it a constant up and down

I have been working at Garage

Pros

50% off
    cute clothes
    sometimes fun to go into work

Cons

management makes sales associates do everything; dust the fitting room, vacuum, attend customers AND handle register while they stand behind the desk and "read emails". BTW cashiers are supposed to be paid 9.00 and hour (9.25 in my case because i got a raise) but they refuse to give us the title because the company looses money

realize the sales associates are busting their butts off too