Garage Reviews

STAY CLEAR OF THIS COMPANY

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Garage full-time

Pros

50% off discount........that is all

Cons

Before starting this job I read the reviews online and decided to ignore all the bad comments. DONT ignore the reviews. HORRIBLE company to work for. TERRIBLE training then throw you in and expect you to know everything. Favoritism. Unprofessional district manager. Oh and don't count on your paychecks getting there on time, but they'll do their "best efforts". By far the most unprofessional and disorganized company I have ever worked for.

Better communication. H/O needs more organization. Idk how two paychecks in a row get delivered late. We do have bills that need to be paid..that is why we're working after all.

Training is rushed and you must figure it out for yourself

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Woodbridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Woodbridge, NJ

I worked at Garage full-time for more than a year

Pros

reasonable discount, health & dental insurance, opportunity to self teach and self maintain

Cons

Training rushed, sloppy structure, communication issues, required 40 hour min. work week but prefer you work over4

I advise you learn to communicate with one another.Fully investigate issues before jumping to to conclusions, and stop hiring people just to fill positions; when asking people to work out of the location, make sure that you don't later get upset because they did not complete the 40 hour work week in-store.

Disorganized company

I worked at Garage

Pros

Just the 50% off
    Paid Vacation
    Hours are manageable

Cons

Training is horrible. Associates are just thrown into working without proper knowledge or training then are expected to perform exceptionally.
    The company stresses employees to be very loss prevention when they don't even have sensors which can be bought with the amount of money they lose each year. They expect the associates to stop customers from stealing by "customer servicing" them which is pointless because they are going to steal anyways no matter how nice they are to them.
    Their help service is really not a help service because at the end you have to help yourself because they have no idea as to what they are doing.

Get sensors !
    Training !

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

it a constant up and down

I have been working at Garage

Pros

50% off
    cute clothes
    sometimes fun to go into work

Cons

management makes sales associates do everything; dust the fitting room, vacuum, attend customers AND handle register while they stand behind the desk and "read emails". BTW cashiers are supposed to be paid 9.00 and hour (9.25 in my case because i got a raise) but they refuse to give us the title because the company looses money

realize the sales associates are busting their butts off too

Been here for 6 years

Current Employee - Retail Manager
    Current Employee - Retail Manager

I have been working at Garage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

*Lot's of internal growth
    *Good discount

Cons

*High turnover
    *Lot's of micromanaging

*Need a 401k

Nice retail store to work at and great company culture

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Garage part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Fun
    -Good vibes
    -Nice customers
    -Friendly coworkers
    -Good benefits (okay on bonuses)
    -Store visuals are very creative and refreshing
    -Managements are flexible with scheduling and adjustments

Cons

Hours can be terrible. A normal shift for part time is 4 hours to 5 hours max. Some weeks you work 5 days; some week you only work 2 ($8/hour). I've been working here for over half a year and I have never work more than 25 hours every two weeks! (often times I get 16 hours every two weeks)
    Expect to be "On Call" the rest of the week when you aren't scheduled. It can be tricky to get someone to cover shifts sometimes because our store only have 5 sales associates (including myself) but because the way the shifts were split, three (or sometimes four) salespeople are already working in the day so it leaves you to only one remaining that you can ask.
    You have to do everything like adjust promotion price (most places would ring up automatically) or to print out gift receipts (on EVERY single gift items separately) manually on the POS system.
    Sale/Clearance system is lacking. It can be inaccurate. The company send out a list of merchandise that needed to be marked down but sometimes when you ring it up on the register and it's regular price. Display of sale merchandise is inconsistent. Our sale sections does not include ALL of our sale items but rather maybe half. Sale items are actually all around the store which normally we would have a "sale" tag on SOME of the hangers. For items such as bags or pants or any other folded things, you have you actually find the price tag (which normally tucked away from sight) to see if they're on sale. Sometimes sale items were not even marked; customers find out when they checking out at the register. The company need to work out a better system to track their merchandise.

Store management team often get blamed on for everything.
    District manager doesn't seem to trust her own team; especially if you're not on management levels. Less likely to promote from within so that leaves you a small window to move up anywhere within the company.

Can't wait to leave and get another job

I have been working at Garage

Pros

Nothing. There is nothing here that would outweigh the cons of this job.

Cons

Stay far away from this company. If you want to work somewhere where you're constantly lied to and treated like second best please get a job here. They make tons of false hopes by telling you that you deserve something or should get it only to give it to someone else. Beware of store managers who only care about themselves and will lie about anything and everything just to keep their jobs. They act supportive but don't even take the time to review something with you, they just throw it in front of you and ask you to sign it. There isn't the slightest hint of compassion from anyone in the company. Even when someone has something serious going on and can't work they still expect you to find someone to cover your shift. The company prides themselves on customer service & therefore you CANT approach customers who may be stealing but you will be treated badly when shrink is low. Overall it is a terrible company to work for and full of disappointments

Better monitoring of bad behaviors in store, start prosecuting shoplifters and have better advancement opportunities for employees. For a company who "loves internal growth" you certainly love having people who don't know how to do the job come in rather than keep someone who is an extreme asset in their position

Loved the company.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Garage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Discount
    Genuine Cx Service
    Opportunities with-in Company

Cons

Professionalism between Upper Management and Management
    TURNOVERRATE

use this company to gain experience to put on resume and leave quickly

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Garage full-time

Pros

50% off discount on clothes
    experience to put on resume
    experience with customer service
    experience with working in high stress
    experience with working in constant changing environment

Cons

extreme disfunction and lack of communication from head office
    extreme lack of professionalism
    high stress, constant change- typically from head office
    lack of payroll to get tasks done in the time they expect
    extreme micro management
    lack of care for safety of employees
    no work-life balance
    heavy tasking, tasking includes very physically demanding tasks and often times dangerous
    high expectations with little to no appreciation
    high turnover
    inability to maintain management teams for longer than 6months due to practices and how upper management functions
    little to NO training when starting with this company
    very behind technologically
    be prepared to work all holidays, all weekends and be on call 24/7
    this company expects tasking to take priority over sales, and then they hound you and question you why you are not making days/weeks

this company will continue to make money bc the clothes are cute and at a good price but will struggle with high turn over rates and will never be able to maintain quality workers until upper management and head office realizes that their lack of cohesive communication, unrealistic expectations and lack of care for the well being of their employees creates an extremely discouraging and sad work life.

If you enjoy having happy customers, this is the job for you!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Garage part-time for less than a year

Pros

- 50% off regular price majority of clothing items, 20% off regular price jackets, accessories
    - After the discount, the clothes is a lot cheaper than the similar styles you can find at Forever 21, Brandy Melville, etc
    - Managers, Assistant Managers, and most of the other sales associates are very friendly and great to get along with
    - Scheduling is pretty good, if a day doesn't work, manager will allow to have others switch shifts or take over the shift
    - You have a sales budget that you want to meet, and it feels really good to meet or exceed your goal
    - In my location, each employee (age 19+) is responsible for not only on the floor but able to use the cash register as well, which is good for having more skills in your resume
    - Weekly evaluations from the customer surveys allow employees to know how well you are doing

Cons

- Some customers are hard to talk to or don't speak English, which makes it hard for you to communicate with
    - There is a bit of gossip and talking behind each other's back
    - The customer satisfaction survey sometimes doesn't reflect reality (since the customer might not remember you, but they still want the discount they receive by filling out the survey so they fill it out without much though)
    - Rarely any raises, and being paid the same as those who don't work as hard

Worked for Garage? Contribute to the Community!