Garan Reviews

Seymour Lichtenstein

Friendly but stagnant

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Garan as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Internship salary was the best I've yet to see.

Cons

Silhouette doesn't change much. Designers rely on interns for basic boring jobs, color cards and sorting dropped samples.

Let intern's participate more in design process.

Beware of this company

I worked at Garan full-time for more than a year

Pros

unlimited sick days, overtime pay, extra days off during the holidays, medical coverage 90%

Cons

long hours, management,no dental insurance, can't eat at your desk, can't leave your coat on the back of your chair, dress code, 5 vacation days for the first year of employment , disrespect, back stabbing, a lot of cliques in the office

take some responsibility instead of playing the blame game all the time

Whatever you do, beware of this company.

I worked at Garan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Health plan was okay, but no dental or vision.

Cons

The people are all backstabbers. Beware. Company does not offer Summer Fridays. They do not care if you need to work late hours or on weekends. Nepotism runs rampant and in order for advancement you have to be one of the "liked ones". If you are not it doesn't matter how smart you are, you will never go anywhere.

Treat your employees with respect and there is absolutely no reason to scream at them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was alright

I worked at Garan full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the people were nice.

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement. Lots of people stuck in old habits and didn't want to evolve.

Listen to feedback of employees.

Good learning experience in stressful and disrespectful environment

Former Employee - Senior Planner  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Planner in New York, NY

I worked at Garan full-time for less than a year

Pros

- great opportunity to work with sole customer (Wal-mart)
    - medical insurance at an inexpensive rate and is a good plan
    - "bonus" holidays ie Christmas Eve, New Years Eve, etc.
    - not too strict about coming in "on time" (9 am) .. people consistently come in at 9:30-9:45
    - helpful if you have a baby/small children because you can take home samples

Cons

- no other insurance coverage like dental / no 401k
    - expected to stay long hours...6pm is "early" not "on time"
    - no Human Resources Department..just 'payroll'
    - no vacation payout like other companies if earned and unused
    - barely any contact with management..any attempts are futile
    - feedback is minimal, good performance not rewarded
    - they pride on having "unlimited sick/personal" days but employees barely take any days despite this...also not easy to take days off; will always been questioned and looked down upon
    - many 'last-minute' assignments to be done "by end of day"
    - 1-hour lunch is rare .. many employees do "working lunch"

Management should try to connect with employees, especially the ones whose work they take credit for. Find some humility for themselves and respect for those under them, that way they can stop wondering why the turnover rate is so high. Also spend some money on adding an official, professional HR department to bridge the gap between management and the rest of the company. Remember that everyone has a life outside of Garan.

Don't waste your time

Former Employee - Designer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Garan full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pretty good pay and convenient location

Cons

Lack of respect for employee's time, (ie 1: marked and reported if late), zero appreciation for hard work and long hours, (no comp days for working weekends), leaving on time is frowned upon, management does not want to be involved at employee level so communication often is lacking if present at all, will not let others make any decisions, ineffective use of time (ie: often receive work end of day due next day), BAD benefits (no dental, no 401k, no summer hours, 5 days vacation for an entire year that is NOT paid out when you leave if un-used), big employee turnover rate, zero room for growth, bad overall morale

Please treat employees like adults - give goals to strive for - communicate calendar/deadlines so work can be done efficiently and without being constantly micro-managed and monitored

A great place to work if you have a very thick skin and are not concerned about work life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Garan

Pros

Great benefits. Company promotes based on performance.

Cons

No formal review process. Hours can be very long. Very little positive feedback.

Commend people when they do a good job. Be more open and communicative about company strategies and policies

Money isn't everything, this place is depressing

I worked at Garan

Pros

Great Pay, great benefits, great location and a very profitable business. A well established giant that has a great presence in its industry. A good place to work if you're as cold as stone and extremely hard working.

Cons

I have never worked in a place where I was kept so far out of the loop and belittled. I was very good at my job and got no feedback from my bosses about anything that was wrong with my work. The people with whom I worked with were full of themselves and lacked the maturity to approach situations that called for more assistance. My boss was very unapproachable and not easy to work with whatsoever. There are a handful of good people who work here but defiantly not enough. You are always fearing for your job and there is huge turnover because of the depressing work enviroment. The hours are long and there is no balance of work and personal life.

The management does not care about anyone not within their cocoon of who's who. They are extremely biased and old fashioned. They should really care more for their employees because at the end of the day, those are the people making that company what it is. They should hire HR staff that is competent and knows what they're doing instead of ignoring problems.

If you are smart and hard working, there is no better place in this industry to work.

Current Employee - Planner  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Planner in New York, NY

I have been working at Garan

Pros

I was surprised by some of the comments about benefits and time off. While Garan does not have a 401k, instead there is a defined pension plan that is much safer than the volatile 401k's. The medical plan is amazing with very little out-of-pocket expense to me. We get 10-12 days of paid holidays in addition to our vacation time. It is also not unusual for the office to close an extra day over a holiday weekend as an additional "thank you" for our hard work! The occasional sick/personal day is not deducted from our vacation time, unlike most companies I have worked. Garan is a profitable, financially stable company owned by Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway. From my experience, Garan pays a competitive salary and has shown me that if you are smart and work hard, Garan will reward you. I'm proud to be part of the Garan family.

Cons

It is true Garan is not an "easy" place to work, but if you work smart, efficiently and are passionate about what you do, you will succeed. If your looking for a place to just "get by" this isn't the place for you. Hours can be long during crunch times, but that is nothing unusual for this industry.

With the multitude of tasks to complete in such a fast-paced environment, it can be difficult to step back and understand the big picture strategy of the company. It would be helpful to hear from executive management more frequently on what's working, what's not, and where our efforts should be focused.

Interview and proceed with caution!!

I worked at Garan

Pros

Good Salary for NY location
    You will learn a lot about analytics within the fashion industry
    Some great people there who are passionate about success

Cons

No Work/Family Balance.. At alll.. Period...
    Sr. Management difficult to work with in most cases
    Nepetism is a huge conflict of interest problem that has never been addressed
    Unrealistic deadlines
    Single account (Wal MArt) no real customer base

Start by getting new and fresh management to shake things up. The company has turned into a "clique" company that really does not care about those who are not a part of the inner circle.

Worked for Garan? Contribute to the Community!