Garda World Security Reviews

Reset
2.4
Garda World Security Chairman, President, CEO Stéphan D. Crétier
Stéphan D. Crétier

Pros
  • Full-time employment is stable and reliable (in 3 reviews)

• Get to wear a gun and a uniform that holds a symbol of responsibility and respect (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • This is why no one I work with views Garda as a home or life choice (in 4 reviews)

• Very long hours in very unsafe vehicles absolutely no one thta thinks safety to go to no one large disconnect from the branch to Garda cash logistics (in 3 reviews)

1. Organize Employee Management Practices

Current Employee - Premium Security Guard
    Current Employee - Premium Security Guard

I have been working at Garda World Security part-time

Pros

-Available hours and overtime
    -flexible hours
    -fair health and dental coverage

Cons

-Various changes due to new purchase of premium protection guards

Advice to Management

There should be more consistency in the management/head office practices. Set guidelines and supervision should be placed in the matter of handling employee requests to ensure inquiries/requests are handled in a timely fashion.

2. good company to work for.

Former Contractor - Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Garda World Security as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

good management and welfare of employers

Cons

pay and rotation very poor compared to other companies

3. Preboard screening officer

I have been working at Garda World Security

Pros

Strong union, great people, good pay.

Cons

Sometimes management only seem to care about their qoutas

5. GardaWorld Armored Car is Excellent!

Former Employee - Armed Guard/Armed Driver/Messenger in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Armed Guard/Armed Driver/Messenger in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Garda World Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I know people's experience with this company varies based on location, but this is my review based on my experience in Alberta, Edmonton and it's smaller satellite branches.

- Lots of travel
    - Intensive hiring process
    - Great uniforms and equipment
    - Great firearms and use of force instructors
    - Policy, law and use of force training very in-depth
    - Company is currently modernizing their arsenal and vehicles
    - Unionized environment and yearly raises
    - Get to learn a variety of duties and positions as you progress from Armed Guard to Armed Driver and then ultimately Messenger/Crew Chief
    - Job is a great springboard for law enforcement because of the duties, trust, equipment, pace and integrity involved.
    - If you are easy to get a long with and do your job properly, you will never have problems and working with colleagues will be a blast.
    - Depending on where you get hired, you will get 40 hours and then some. Some branches have more OT than you can shake a stick at. There is the potential for serious dough.
    - Management is generally reasonable with you and willing to hear your concerns.
    - If you are single and willing to travel, company is willing to fly out you to short handed branches for short-to-medium amounts of time and will house and feed you.
    - Decent wage, pension and good benefits.

Even though I went on to be a PO, I had so much fun working on the armored car that sometimes I wish I could give up the badge to go back.

Cons

- Some runs are just too overloaded for 1 armoured car crew to do by themselves.
    - Sometimes expected to make emergency deliveries in blinding snow storms and blizzards or in other extremely dangerous/death defying driving conditions.
    - While older vehicles are being replaced with new and more modern ones as time goes on, some of the older vehicles that are still around are awful and will break down on a consistent basis making a run a complete nightmare.
    - Sort of a con but is to be expected -- you will deal with a lot of weird, off-base and shady people who will make comments about your gun, armor, how much money is in the truck and so forth.
    - Sometimes there will be someone you just won't get a long with. Working with them on a consistent basis is difficult. Especially when you're in a closed space for 8-12 hours and it's only a 2-3 man crew.
    - One-offs (1-man crews) are a little too dangerous for comfort sometimes as there is no back-up (only applicable to certain locations)
    - No formal log book training.
    - If you're not looking for it, mandatory OT can ruin your work/life balance.

Advice to Management

- Be reasonable when it comes to extreme driving conditions and officer safety.
    - Spread some of the work out more evenly between crews during runs to reduce stress and allow for more reasonable delivery times
    - All new hires should be required to take a dedicated logbook course. Logbooks are very confusing at
      first.

6. GARDA Employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Garda World Security

Pros

Great benefits, reliable work hours, and high pay for only high school education.

Cons

Management is something to be desired. People you help are don't like you very much.

Advice to Management

Try to be more consistent, and work together for the safety of people, not the customer service.

7. Security Guard

Current Employee - Security Guard in Sudbury, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Sudbury, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

easy job to work at

Cons

lact of support from management

Good spot for people looking for high paying part time work.

Current Employee - Pre-Board Screening Officer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Garda World Security part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Able to add shifts onto your mandatory 20 hrs per week to a maximum of 40
    Fun people to work with on the line
    See a lot of interesting things every shift
    Gain quantifiable experience for Law Enforcement Agencies (ie. Police, Corrections, Special Constables, CBSA, etc)
    24/7 work cycle

Cons

Union is not very good
    Nickel and Dime you for every quarter hour
    Tough to figure out what shifts are available
    Scheduling department is not very smart, frequently screws screeners over with the gaps between shifts.

Advice to Management

Improve scheduling departments effectiveness.
    Get a handle on the weekly budget CATSA provides you with.

9. Decent entry level into the security industry, but much improvement needed to this company structure.

Former Employee - Scheduling in North York, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Scheduling in North York, ON (Canada)

I worked at Garda World Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive Pay, some health benefits.

Cons

Not flexible when it comes to shift times, after acquisition of other security companies the structure and culture is in disarray.

Advice to Management

Treat your workers as you'd want to be treated, very demeaning corporate culture, improve on communication as it's very incoherent as it gets trickled down from upper management to lower.

10. Very frustrating

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managed to get full-time hours. I guess that's a pro.

They are an equal opportunity employer, I'll give them that. They'll hire anybody, even people who can't perform the basic functions of the job.

Cons

Scheduling constantly inputting site schedules wrong, causing disruption when it comes to clocking in.

Outright lies about Site-specific wages, including a clear discrepancy in wages between Men and Women.

It takes weeks to resolve a pay complaint, if it gets resolved at all.

Barely able to live on the wages. 17 cents over minimum wage is considered "competitive".

Unpaid training which requires taking time off from work in order to complete.

Most sites require you have all required training before even being interviewed. Other sites won't interview at all unless you have a police or military background.

Constantly changing uniform requirements. (Mine has changed 3 times in the past 6 months) And, when new uniforms are sent, they're constantly the wrong size.

Rotating schedules make having a regular life or healthy sleep schedule impossible. (After a year, I've developed chronic migraines due to lack of regular sleep)

Uniform deposits are $150 minimum, even though their job postings boast that uniforms are free.

They boast a world-wide culture and job opportunities, but there are almost no postings outside of Canada. Those that are, are military-like placements.

They claim that being hired by Garda automatically makes you part of the Union though this is evidently untrue. Also, if there is a Union minimum wage, Garda doesn't pay it.

I'm sure there are more but I can't think of any. I think the above says enough, though.

Advice to Management

Learn to properly communicate between departments, hire competent people to work in the scheduling and payroll departments, pay for required training.

11. Good job on PAPER, No RESPECT

Current Employee - Pre-Board Screening Officer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Garda World Security part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Somewhat flexible shifts
    Something interesting is always going on
    Get experience that appears good on PAPER

Cons

Left on same positions for long periods at a time
    Management that appears to be unorganized & uneducated.
    Management against their staff, this is a security industry... why are we not all working together?
    No one can ever do anything right. Always something wrong with the work that your doing, even when your giving %110

Advice to Management

Honestly, I enjoy my job as a screening officer (just the duties in itself)...
    However, the management is HORRENDOUS!
    Their is no respect for staff... I do not think anyone understands the concept that if you respect your workers and appreciate them, they are much more likely to work harder because they want to make you happy.
    The pay however is good, and that is the only reason you have people that make this job a career, because most are uneducated and have no other options. If you have your security clearance your basically in.
    I have never been disrespected by so many managers, its really something that they get away with on a daily basis... favourites are picked, whether it depends on religion, gender, race or just group of friends and its sad that it just can't come down to good work ethic.
    Everything within this company needs to be overhauled.

RSS Feed </> Embed