Garda World Security

Garda Needs improvement

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Centreville, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Centreville, VA

I have been working at Garda World Security

Pros

Smaller firm in the industry with opportunity for growth

Cons

Upper management lack leadership and industry experience

Get more involved in the daily activities and communicate with employees on a regular basis

Desperately needs to change

Current Employee - Armed Guard/Driver  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Armed Guard/Driver in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Garda World Security part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Garda world was not what I expected. They have more in common with Burger King than security or law enforcement

Cons

Its fedex with a gun, without fedex pay, and without fedex union representation... nothing more needs to be said.

Join at your own peril

Stop neglecting your associates.

One of the worst rated Armored Car Companies on Glassdoors..... For a reason

Current Employee - Armed Guard/Driver  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Armed Guard/Driver in Miami, FL

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Get to work outside far away from the office.... which is a great thing to me
    Get to wear a gun and a uniform that holds a symbol of responsibility and respect
    Company at one point hired great people to work with... those days are gone.

Cons

Garda simply doesn't care about their employees or the plights they put them threw. Garda only seems capable of making decisions and policies that are debilitation to staff moral and capabilities.

At 10.00 dollars an hour with no chances of a fair raise or overtime.... many employees only stay for a year. Meaning heavy company turnover and you will have to constantly parent the new guy on top of your heavy work load.
    To add to the negativity training is not really there, so you will be lucky if you ever get anyone who is an actual professional.

Most employees who stay longer than a year feel stuck and act just like Garda... They do everything they can to exploit time, new hires, and the company so that they can have something positive. Meaning they pimp time, make the new guy do the hard work, make others take the liability, take hand outs from clients, ect.

At 10.00 dollars an hour if the fast food industry is successful in increasing their pay rate to 15.00, I am sure I will quit to go flip burgers. And I am sure Garda will struggle to keep anyone working for this company.

All and all after working for Garda as long as I have I am truly disgusted with how they do business and what they find to be "acceptable."

Here some advice look at employment here as a last option.

You have got to start making some positive changes that affect us.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They explain away their incompetence and tactics as being due to their "Corporate Culture" !!!!!

Current Employee - Driver/Messenger  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Driver/Messenger in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ego massage for some employees yet the majority of coworkers are some of the most upstanding folks I have ever met. I felt that my back was covered.

Cons

The majority of the truck flleet are death traps and a risk to operate by the employees and a danger to the public !!
    Deceit and misrepresentation is the operational business model of Garda. They will lie and cajole in every manner possible to not reimburse employees for expenses they incur that are outlined in the work rules I.E. costs of Licensing and certifications required for you work, being paid under the employee referral program, recognizing and properly paying holiday hours and denying benefit reimbursements. All done BTW to pad the branch budget.
    The company does not pay its bills in any sort of timely manner so mechanics liens get filed against their trucks that they get repaired by outside shops, simple operational support supplies go either unordered or not delivered for months. Management seems to have no eye for organization and cleanliness. COMPANY RULES, POLICIES AND PROCEDURES ARE IGNORED AT THE WHIM OF MANAGEMENT. There is no level playing field to allow an employee to have a handle on what is right or wrong but be forever ready to be disciplined if YOU mess up !!! Management does a stellar job of covering each other's tails.

Have some engaged area management that travel and are directly involved in supervising your field operations and listening to the concerns of the Driver / Messengers. Your Branch Managers and the associated Operations managers in the branch network are a patchwork of folks who have reached their level of incompetence and they basically have no direct oversight other than conference calls.

Corporate executives don't know how to stop companies hemorrhaging of talent.

Current Employee - Armed Driver/Guard  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Armed Driver/Guard in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great watercoolers
    Get a taxable income
    You get to look somewhat like law enforcement just in a lesser form

Cons

Pay which doesn't amount to the risk or long long long hours you will put in
    No overtime.. Thanks Department of Transportation for defining us as over the road truck drivers.
    Training is not a priority
    Horrible schedules
    Punished with more stops or additional work for being in early
    Equipment that is comparable to a boat with holes
    Management who have never done our job and have no idea how their ignorance affects our accomplishments of our duties.
    Cruddy communication from management
    Not many opportunities to move above branch manager, since those jobs go to ex-bankers: who obviously have so much military/logistic/ and law enforcement experience they are clearly the RIGHT PEOPLE for the job...

Which with actions speaking louder than words would tell the competent guard/driver that.... Garda World Executives for them little.

This is why no one I work with views Garda as a home or life choice
    This is why everyone uses the job as a stepping stone
    This coupled with Garda's questionable managerial style has led to a work environment of constant turnover where your lucky to work with anyone who actually knows what they are doing.

You need to do undercover boss for a year that would open your eyes.

You have good employees and you neglect us.

The writing on the wall speaks

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Garda World Security full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Get to work outdoors with little supervision, that is until you make it back to your garage.
    Good uniforms but have to pay for just about everything else.
    Some good co-workers trying to make it big somewhere else like most of us are.
    They will give you time off if you absolutely need it

Cons

Its a temporary position for most trying to get into better/real careers. One can't call Garda a career.

Training is very lackadaisical and doesn't represent the troubles or dangers we faced.
    Orientation period is lackadaisical
    Training that does exist sets a very poor image for Garda.

Pay is meager which would be acceptable if training was something that was marketable to higher paying contract security gigs, law enforcement, or the likes. However, pay is a serious issue at Garda and is one of the primary reasons why turnover is high, moral low, and competence level of co-workers questionable. Pay is not worth you possible death or serious physical injury

Overworked, expect 12 hour days, early starts, late dismissals, picking up stops for others, given extra stops for being early, carrying bags that weigh 40+lbs, driving around in traffic, weather delays, customers delaying the whole process, and being blamed for all of the misfortunes this stuff causes your routes. Somehow Garda expects you to be capable of controlling the weather, parting traffic like Moses did to the ocean, and constantly explain to customers why its important for them to be on time and ready to go (so much for the sales force informing and educating the customers )

Many people believe that our trucks are full of three-four man teams... this is a delusional misconceptions. Most trucks are two man crews, and if the company could get away with making them one man they would. Also don't expect to be rockin a shotgun or a rifle, only the BADGUYS get to carry "better" weaponry. Your just a pawn to Garda so they wouldn't waste their time or money training you to use BETTER weaponry or making sure you stay safe with three-four man crews. God forbid Garda's insurance premiums going up because of this.

If it is an extended crew its likely due to an insanely high risk... such as mall moves during Xmans or a Federal Reserve run. Pray its a Fed run cause the feds send their people and they are much better trained and prepared than any of us working for Garda.

Management likes counting their beans not solving issues we face. They read these reviews and just think its a few disgruntled employees, in reality these few reviews highlight serious issues that need solutions; which have remained issues for countless years.

Taking our equipment and comparing it to Fedex or UPS makes it look like we have the hand me downs.

Scheduling is impossible there is no work life balance here.

No time to take your 30 minute lunch or 15 minute breaks you will eat on route in your truck... If you bring food.

Your employees are yours... they are your family... your team... your representatives...

Neglecting them just hurts your business and budget book. And it makes you look unhuman, robotic, and ignorant.

There would be real befits from solving the problems I discussed.

Disconnected

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cant think of any. Its a tough place to work. Its really behind the times on so many levels.

Cons

The company does not invest into its people. Hence, lack talent to move business forward. Medical plans have outrages family out of pockets expense. There is no 401-k match in any capacity. Hard to hire talent as wages are not in line with the industry.

You need to invest into your people and the resources its takes to grow the business. Upgrade the fleet. Outside of California the fleet is a mess. Find a direction and move forward. Stop all the freezes on hiring and then wonder why service is awful.

Horrible Hours, Horrible Risks, No Rewards

Former Employee - Messenger/Driver
    Former Employee - Messenger/Driver

I worked at Garda World Security full-time for less than a year

Pros

Absolutely nothing positive to say.

Cons

No Overtime, took 4 months to get a reimbursement. No work/home life balance. They do NOT maintain the trucks, half the doors don't shut properly, the air doesn't work most of the time, and you can plan to break down and be stuck on the side of the road with millions at least twice a week. Unhappy? Talk to your manager. He will make you feel better for about 5 minutes and then act like you never had a conversation. Safety is the last thing in their mind. There is no accountability for people who constantly call out or don't show up. But why would you want to come to work when you risk your life for $12/hour with no ballistics vest, non locking doors, and no back up plan for breakdowns? Those people that DO go to work get punished for those who don't, by getting 15-20+ stops added to the already 50-60 they were scheduled for. 14-16 hours days are the norm. Turnover of employees is the highest I have ever seen, and I am part of that turnover after how I was treated in the short time I worked there.

Maintain your trucks, don't abuse your employees and realize that when it comes to keeping employees, you may want to put their lives as a priority over money. If you did that, maybe they would take pride in what they do and care more about protecting YOUR assets.

Horrible, fear based management

Current Employee - Office  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Office in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time for less than a year

Pros

Constantly too much work and don't pay overtime. Computers break all the time so you can look busy and do nothing....just smile and move fast and nobody gonna bother

Cons

Poor attitudes and managers from Montreal Talk down and demean employees. Folks just complain about who be fired next in rif. Poor folk with kids can't afford the insurance

Pay your bills and maybe trucks will get fixed. Where's all the big sales win money going...not to pay bills or fix stufff

Avoid this company

Former Employee - Business Development Manager
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager

I worked at Garda World Security full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of good, qualified staff at middle and higher levels. Field staff includes many willing to put in long hours to get the job done.

Cons

Commitment to service execution is not very good. A culture of modest effort. No effort to respond in a timely fashion to the internal 'customer'. Management does not sufficiently share their real strategies and plans with mid-level ops and sales. Too heavily focused on cutting costs. Not paying vendors properly causing cutoff of vital services impacting service delivery.

Invest less in buying smaller competitors and use those dollars to prove infrastructure and hire the best branch managers at competitive wages.

Worked for Garda World Security? Contribute to the Community!