Garda World Security Reviews

Reset
2.1
Garda World Security Chairman, President, CEO Stéphan D. Crétier
Stéphan D. Crétier

Pros
  • Full-time employment is stable and reliable (in 3 reviews)

• Get to wear a gun and a uniform that holds a symbol of responsibility and respect (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • This is why no one I work with views Garda as a home or life choice (in 4 reviews)

• Very long hours in very unsafe vehicles absolutely no one thta thinks safety to go to no one large disconnect from the branch to Garda cash logistics (in 3 reviews)

1. International division

I worked at Garda World Security full-time

Pros

Forward leaning, progressive risk and security company International division is at cutting edge of compliance

Cons

At times short sighted senior vision, that blows hot and cold

2. One of the best and fastest growing

Pros

Lots of opportunities for growth with the company and lots of sites to choose from.

Cons

The branch here has too many projects on the go at the same time and sometimes is late dealing with some outstanding issues

Advice to Management

Continue to be fair to employees

3. Great Company

Current Employee - Security Supervisor
    Current Employee - Security Supervisor

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always been treated great. They have shown me great respect. They've been there when I needed help. Pretty much since day one with them I have always had full time work.

Cons

It's a big company so sometimes it takes a bit longer to get stuff. Have had very few problems with them.

5. security guard

Former Employee - Security Guard in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Security Guard in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Garda World Security part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay, good hrs, the people are friendly

Cons

no site trainings. they need good leadership

Advice to Management

good

6. Great introduction to the industry for those pursuing enforcement services career

Former Employee - Security Guard
    Former Employee - Security Guard

Pros

climate for communication was always friendly and welcomed. Accommodated a student schedule. Benefits for full time employees was good Unionized environment was very helpful

Cons

- No benefits for part time employees - Inadequate equipment forced some employees to use own money to purchase tools and materials.

Advice to Management

- consider implementing benefits for part time employees - Improve resources available for career advancement - more on the job training

7. Decent and fair

Current Employee - Security Coordinator in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Security Coordinator in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Management is actually involved and cares what employees thing.

Cons

Some site are not suited for any guard and some people you work with are not theft good.

Advice to Management

Remove the poor performers so the rest of us who do hard work can be seen.

8. I have seen worse, But so far the best

Current Employee - Security Guard in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The entry wage is pretty fair to be honest, they don't let you play out of your league and it is a very strict customer service oriented sites, unless if you are working downtown which is a very unique environment for each and every site. But they don't force you to do something you cannot handle.

Cons

I don't really see my self advancing to higher positions in this company, the more advance positions (such as mobile and screening) in this company need long term dedication with not half decent pay and a lot of work load. It is really a shame, when you realize you will jump aboard to other companies that are offering more.

Advice to Management

I am fairly aware of the contract competition, but I would just like to say, It is a job, and not very much a career, the money is what most of the people are in here for.

9. Its a good company but now I am waiting for a job and I need to work

Current Employee - Security Agent in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Security Agent in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a good company but when you are new, you have to wait for a job

Cons

When you are not working, the waiting is killing me

Advice to Management

We need a regular job

Good spot for people looking for high paying part time work.

Current Employee - Pre-Board Screening Officer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Pre-Board Screening Officer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Garda World Security part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Able to add shifts onto your mandatory 20 hrs per week to a maximum of 40 Fun people to work with on the line See a lot of interesting things every shift Gain quantifiable experience for Law Enforcement Agencies (ie. Police, Corrections, Special Constables, CBSA, etc) 24/7 work cycle

Cons

Union is not very good Nickel and Dime you for every quarter hour Tough to figure out what shifts are available Scheduling department is not very smart, frequently screws screeners over with the gaps between shifts.

Advice to Management

Improve scheduling departments effectiveness. Get a handle on the weekly budget CATSA provides you with.

11. GardaWorld Armored Car is Excellent!

Former Employee - Armed Guard/Armed Driver/Messenger in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Armed Guard/Armed Driver/Messenger in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Garda World Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I know people's experience with this company varies based on location, but this is my review based on my experience in Alberta, Edmonton and it's smaller satellite branches. - Lots of travel - Intensive hiring process - Great uniforms and equipment - Great firearms and use of force instructors - Policy, law and use of force training very in-depth - Company is currently modernizing their arsenal and vehicles - Unionized environment and yearly raises - Get to learn a variety of duties and positions as you progress from Armed Guard to Armed Driver and then ultimately Messenger/Crew Chief - Job is a great springboard for law enforcement because of the duties, trust, equipment, pace and integrity involved. - If you are easy to get a long with and do your job properly, you will never have problems and working with colleagues will be a blast. - Depending on where you get hired, you will get 40 hours and then some. Some branches have more OT than you can shake a stick at. There is the potential for serious dough. - Management is generally reasonable with you and willing to hear your concerns. - If you are single and willing to travel, company is willing to fly out you to short handed branches for short-to-medium amounts of time and will house and feed you. - Decent wage, pension and good benefits. Even though I went on to be a PO, I had so much fun working on the armored car that sometimes I wish I could give up the badge to go back.

Cons

- Some runs are just too overloaded for 1 armoured car crew to do by themselves. - Sometimes expected to make emergency deliveries in blinding snow storms and blizzards or in other extremely dangerous/death defying driving conditions. - While older vehicles are being replaced with new and more modern ones as time goes on, some of the older vehicles that are still around are awful and will break down on a consistent basis making a run a complete nightmare. - Sort of a con but is to be expected -- you will deal with a lot of weird, off-base and shady people who will make comments about your gun, armor, how much money is in the truck and so forth. - Sometimes there will be someone you just won't get a long with. Working with them on a consistent basis is difficult. Especially when you're in a closed space for 8-12 hours and it's only a 2-3 man crew. - One-offs (1-man crews) are a little too dangerous for comfort sometimes as there is no back-up (only applicable to certain locations) - No formal log book training. - If you're not looking for it, mandatory OT can ruin your work/life balance.

Advice to Management

- Be reasonable when it comes to extreme driving conditions and officer safety. - Spread some of the work out more evenly between crews during runs to reduce stress and allow for more reasonable delivery times - All new hires should be required to take a dedicated logbook course. Logbooks are very confusing at first.

RSS Feed </> Embed