Garda World Security

Garda World Security Chairman, President, CEO Stéphan D. Crétier
Stéphan D. Crétier

horrible

I have been working at Garda World Security

Pros

You get to work away from the company.

Cons

terrible pay and benefits. Pay your employees what they are worth

Treat your people with respect.

Absolute. Garbage.

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are no pros. This company is a nightmare to work for. The pay, considering the industry is okay, I guess.

Cons

Even if you set your own schedule, even if you process your own payroll, they somehow manage to mess it up. I'm nearly $2000 behind on my paychecks over FOUR pay periods. Every time I e-mail them, I get the response "We'll look into it ASAP", and despite constant follow-ups, I get no response.

They don't care about their employees, and they would rather lose a contract than pay for something out of their own pockets (even something as miniscule as $40).

Start to listen to your employees, and start to promote the good ones. You have a lot of idiots who somehow move up the food chain, but your hard workers don't.

As a mid level manager I found upper management were clueless as to what happens in the checkpoint and the VP's think they know what to do before setting foot on site.

I worked at Garda World Security

Pros

Honestly tough to find one. I left of my own accord although I had peers that were forced out. The best thing I could say is that some of the people I worked with were good at their jobs.

Cons

Upper management think they know best without setting foot in the checkpoint and don't listen to improvement suggestions from those that work there everyday.
    The union only protects employees that should be fired and adds no value to the good employees. They traded away most of their good benefits for things like an extra sick day that they aren't even paid for. So terrible leadership there too.
    Poor management + bad union leaders = awful place to work

I understand the restrictions with CATSA regulations and maybe it would be worthwhile explaining them to the screening officers to give them a greater understanding of the challenges faced by management. Could create more of a cohesive group effort instead of an us vs. them mentality that exists now.

Not a good employer, if you're looking for substance...

Former Employee - Security Agent in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Security Agent in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Garda World Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's work and it can pay you.

Cons

Awful management
    More drama than a high school
    Lack of benefits
    No sick pay
    No vacation days
    Management promoted on a brown-nosing basis
    Management does not take responsibility for actions
    Lack of crisis management
    No training for new employees- employees are assigned to sites way beyond their scope and skills and not offered any additional training in advance as basic security training does not cover most aspects of actual, hands-on securit work
    14 hour+ days with awful overtime

More transparency, treat your employees with respect, and pay them what they deserve. They deal with a lot of situations and don't get paid nearly enough.

So unprofessional, they completely under look great leaders

Former Employee - Screening Officer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Screening Officer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Garda World Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is the only reason people stay
    hours are brutal beyond words
    clicky lots of groups
    the managment sells drugs

Cons

opps those were as nice as pros can be...
    clicks
    hours
    management
    disrespect

Desperately needs to change

Current Employee - Armed Guard/Driver in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Armed Guard/Driver in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Garda World Security part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Garda world was not what I expected. They have more in common with Burger King than security or law enforcement

Cons

Its fedex with a gun, without fedex pay, and without fedex union representation... nothing more needs to be said.

Join at your own peril

Stop neglecting your associates.

One of the worst rated Armored Car Companies on Glassdoors..... For a reason

Current Employee - Armed Guard/Driver in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Armed Guard/Driver in Miami, FL

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Get to work outside far away from the office.... which is a great thing to me
    Get to wear a gun and a uniform that holds a symbol of responsibility and respect
    Company at one point hired great people to work with... those days are gone.

Cons

Garda simply doesn't care about their employees or the plights they put them threw. Garda only seems capable of making decisions and policies that are debilitation to staff moral and capabilities.

At 10.00 dollars an hour with no chances of a fair raise or overtime.... many employees only stay for a year. Meaning heavy company turnover and you will have to constantly parent the new guy on top of your heavy work load.
    To add to the negativity training is not really there, so you will be lucky if you ever get anyone who is an actual professional.

Most employees who stay longer than a year feel stuck and act just like Garda... They do everything they can to exploit time, new hires, and the company so that they can have something positive. Meaning they pimp time, make the new guy do the hard work, make others take the liability, take hand outs from clients, ect.

At 10.00 dollars an hour if the fast food industry is successful in increasing their pay rate to 15.00, I am sure I will quit to go flip burgers. And I am sure Garda will struggle to keep anyone working for this company.

All and all after working for Garda as long as I have I am truly disgusted with how they do business and what they find to be "acceptable."

Here some advice look at employment here as a last option.

You have got to start making some positive changes that affect us.

The writing on the wall speaks

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Garda World Security full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Get to work outdoors with little supervision, that is until you make it back to your garage.
    Good uniforms but have to pay for just about everything else.
    Some good co-workers trying to make it big somewhere else like most of us are.
    They will give you time off if you absolutely need it

Cons

Its a temporary position for most trying to get into better/real careers. One can't call Garda a career.

Training is very lackadaisical and doesn't represent the troubles or dangers we faced.
    Orientation period is lackadaisical
    Training that does exist sets a very poor image for Garda.

Pay is meager which would be acceptable if training was something that was marketable to higher paying contract security gigs, law enforcement, or the likes. However, pay is a serious issue at Garda and is one of the primary reasons why turnover is high, moral low, and competence level of co-workers questionable. Pay is not worth you possible death or serious physical injury

Overworked, expect 12 hour days, early starts, late dismissals, picking up stops for others, given extra stops for being early, carrying bags that weigh 40+lbs, driving around in traffic, weather delays, customers delaying the whole process, and being blamed for all of the misfortunes this stuff causes your routes. Somehow Garda expects you to be capable of controlling the weather, parting traffic like Moses did to the ocean, and constantly explain to customers why its important for them to be on time and ready to go (so much for the sales force informing and educating the customers )

Many people believe that our trucks are full of three-four man teams... this is a delusional misconceptions. Most trucks are two man crews, and if the company could get away with making them one man they would. Also don't expect to be rockin a shotgun or a rifle, only the BADGUYS get to carry "better" weaponry. Your just a pawn to Garda so they wouldn't waste their time or money training you to use BETTER weaponry or making sure you stay safe with three-four man crews. God forbid Garda's insurance premiums going up because of this.

If it is an extended crew its likely due to an insanely high risk... such as mall moves during Xmans or a Federal Reserve run. Pray its a Fed run cause the feds send their people and they are much better trained and prepared than any of us working for Garda.

Management likes counting their beans not solving issues we face. They read these reviews and just think its a few disgruntled employees, in reality these few reviews highlight serious issues that need solutions; which have remained issues for countless years.

Taking our equipment and comparing it to Fedex or UPS makes it look like we have the hand me downs.

Scheduling is impossible there is no work life balance here.

No time to take your 30 minute lunch or 15 minute breaks you will eat on route in your truck... If you bring food.

Your employees are yours... they are your family... your team... your representatives...

Neglecting them just hurts your business and budget book. And it makes you look unhuman, robotic, and ignorant.

There would be real befits from solving the problems I discussed.

Corporate executives don't know how to stop companies hemorrhaging of talent.

Current Employee - Armed Driver/Guard in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Armed Driver/Guard in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great watercoolers
    Get a taxable income
    You get to look somewhat like law enforcement just in a lesser form

Cons

Pay which doesn't amount to the risk or long long long hours you will put in
    No overtime.. Thanks Department of Transportation for defining us as over the road truck drivers.
    Training is not a priority
    Horrible schedules
    Punished with more stops or additional work for being in early
    Equipment that is comparable to a boat with holes
    Management who have never done our job and have no idea how their ignorance affects our accomplishments of our duties.
    Cruddy communication from management
    Not many opportunities to move above branch manager, since those jobs go to ex-bankers: who obviously have so much military/logistic/ and law enforcement experience they are clearly the RIGHT PEOPLE for the job...

Which with actions speaking louder than words would tell the competent guard/driver that.... Garda World Executives for them little.

This is why no one I work with views Garda as a home or life choice
    This is why everyone uses the job as a stepping stone
    This coupled with Garda's questionable managerial style has led to a work environment of constant turnover where your lucky to work with anyone who actually knows what they are doing.

You need to do undercover boss for a year that would open your eyes.

You have good employees and you neglect us.

Horrible Hours, Horrible Risks, No Rewards

Former Employee - Messenger/Driver
    Former Employee - Messenger/Driver

I worked at Garda World Security full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Absolutely nothing positive to say.

Cons

No Overtime, took 4 months to get a reimbursement. No work/home life balance. They do NOT maintain the trucks, half the doors don't shut properly, the air doesn't work most of the time, and you can plan to break down and be stuck on the side of the road with millions at least twice a week. Unhappy? Talk to your manager. He will make you feel better for about 5 minutes and then act like you never had a conversation. Safety is the last thing in their mind. There is no accountability for people who constantly call out or don't show up. But why would you want to come to work when you risk your life for $12/hour with no ballistics vest, non locking doors, and no back up plan for breakdowns? Those people that DO go to work get punished for those who don't, by getting 15-20+ stops added to the already 50-60 they were scheduled for. 14-16 hours days are the norm. Turnover of employees is the highest I have ever seen, and I am part of that turnover after how I was treated in the short time I worked there.

Maintain your trucks, don't abuse your employees and realize that when it comes to keeping employees, you may want to put their lives as a priority over money. If you did that, maybe they would take pride in what they do and care more about protecting YOUR assets.